0609: "Tab Explosion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Re: "Tab Explosion" Discussion

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:04 am UTC

I've been trapped in TVTropes on several occasions. It's normally down to this other webcomic sending me there from time to time.

And please desist with the Get Out Of My Head meme. It's not amazingly insightful and close-to-telepathic that Munroe can present TVTropes as a webpage that makes you open 50 tabs a night. That's just human experience of the past however-many-years-that-site-has-been-open. Kapeesh? Even the cry of GOOMH is inane when the topic at hand is something a bit more obscure. Because who'd have thunk it that the readers of a webcomic written by a geeky/nerdy fellow would be similar geeky/nerdy and have similar extravagant thoughts. Let's have some proper discussion in these threads... please?

I was expecting a more dramatic finale, like the browser and tabs actually exploding, or even the screen.

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:07 am UTC

For the first time ever, I am finally able to say Randall, get out of my head! I was reading an article about D&D yesterday, which linked to a TVTropes article about Chaotic Stupid, and somehow read about things like Mary Sue, Anonymous putting flashing images on epilepsy support websites, Leeroy Jenkins, the list goes on and on and on.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:12 am UTC

Would it be far too much to ask you to start putting effort into your comic again, Mr Munroe?

1) This is the exact same comic as your "trouble with wikipedia" one
2) TV Tropes already lampshades this in a "funny because it's true" way, making this joke "you know something that's funny because it's true? Well, its still true and still funny, just in case anybody needed a sitrep"
3) We all know you can draw, since this comic basically started out as a sketch dump to begin with. If you're going to put in almost identical panels, do at least some basic detail work to indicate passage of time.
4) We get it. You know what a Rickroll is. So does my mom. She's not funny either.

jugglingplanets

Postby jugglingplanets » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:59 am UTC

Oh man, I register just to post the "get out of my head" and wind up getting suckered into clicking on a tvtropes link... not good. I've never been able to spend LESS than five hours on that site and it's usually more like two or three days before the tab explosion is cleaned up. It's the reason I originally downloaded half my Firefox addons, just to manage the explosiveness...

On the plus side I probably won't surface from this bout until the Wednesday comic!

qrunchmonkey

Postby qrunchmonkey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:43 am UTC

Trying to catch monday's XKCD before bed today was quite possibly the worst decision I've ever made.

Somehow, I've never heard of tvtropes.org before today. Or, I'd heard of it but my ears were full of wax at the time or something.

I could be here for weeks. Luckily my browser crashes when I open over about 60 tabs, so that might be an out...

Yla

Postby Yla » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am UTC

So true. I discovered tvtropes some months ago and now am going there several times a week. Luckily, I got my addiction somewhat under control, and after 1.5h or so, I finally run out of open tabs. But really, tvtropes links should always be posted with a warning.

I don't know cracked.com. Yet. And now I want it to stay that way.
Time is a face on the water.

SirJefferE

Postby SirJefferE » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:48 am UTC

Darnit, I had never heard of TVtropes until this. I decided about 15 minutes ago to go check what it was about, read exactly two pages on it, and glanced up at the top of my screen.

This is going to be a problem. I have work tomorrow, what do you expect me to do now?

On a side note, I've read most things on Cracked, and everything by David Wong (I love that guy, in a totally non gay way.)

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:19 pm UTC

Everybody who suffers from this (such as myself) needs to get the "Tree Style Tab" extension for Firefox. Organize your compulsive browsing into a structured hierarchy. Collapse trees of tabs into a single tab. I couldn't live without it. I middle-click prolly half the links I click. I frequently have >100 tabs open.

Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

littlebuddy

Postby littlebuddy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

tvtropes is awesome.
Last edited by littlebuddy on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tankgunk

Postby tankgunk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

The cheese IS burning me! I was stuck on cracked.com for hours yesterday.

EDIT: Just went to TVtropes and read exactly one page. Though I might be back later...
Last edited by tankgunk on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Markavian

Postby Markavian » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

609 - very true, late to the game tho

XKCD is becoming more of a barometer for internet feeling now rather then new stuff.

I preferred it when it was original content, rather then writing down what "we all knew".

Freecandyforme

Postby Freecandyforme » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

THE TRUTH!!!

spiceXisXnice

Postby spiceXisXnice » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

Get out of my head!

GETOUTOFMYHEAD!!!!!

Gah, I'm a TV tropes addict, and a writer. It's a terrible combination.

fsck

Postby fsck » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

Damn you to the 7th level of hell. I'm hooked, and I can't stop clicking!

Salin

Postby Salin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

I finally get to say it, so I'm going to do so with as much flair as possible.
Spoiler:
RANDALL, GET OUTTA MAH HEAD!!!!!!!!!

Munksgaard_

Postby Munksgaard_ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm UTC

This pretty much happens to me all the time. Even if I'm trying to work these tabs will mysteriously pop up in my browser. For me to have less than 20 tabs open at any time is a rare thing.
"Under the spreading chestnut tree,
I sold you and you sold me"

isamaru

Postby isamaru » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

DAMN YOU I WANTED TO LEAVE THE HOUSE AN HOUR AGO! I could only restrain myself after a very annoyed jabber message from a friend, closing 7 opened TVTropes tabs (The last one of them being http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HypeBacklash). :D

TinBromide

Postby TinBromide » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:36 pm UTC

I must say that tvtropes.org is perhaps what wikipedia would be (or a substancial part, along with wookiepedia and other spliterwikis) if they hadn't shifted from their goal of cataloging the whole of human knowledge to summarizing the credible portion of the internet.

Had wikipedia not gotten serious about itself, tvtropes wouldn't need to exist (along with wookiepedia and other splinterwikis) because all the information contained would be just articles. There might be less humor and less obfuscation in the summary of each trope (and the reason why tvtropes is perhaps more addicting than wikipedia is because it uses trope names rather than plain english) but the spirit would be the same.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Was I the only person who saw the title and was hoping that this would be a comic about the joys of Tab, the drink of beautiful people, and the effects of shaking carbonated beverages?

Although, I must say, the tiny "help" made my cheese burn.

Air Hadoken

Postby Air Hadoken » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Tvtropes is one of my favorite sites on the Internet. My version of Randall's "My Hobby" strips is to link the appropriate page in a Facebook post or comment when I want to express a certain trope (recent examples: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ingBastard and http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... stTheRadar ).

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

Randall has never had a post so true. Ever. Someone on this forum linked me to TVtropes, and it took days to get out. Now I am a steady contributer.

Great White Snark wrote:Perhaps the epitome of "Randall, get out of my head"...

I was reading TVTropes when I decided it would be a good idea to check out the new XKCD.

Same here.

Finally, anyone here care to check out [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrazyPrepared"]these[/url] [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TroperTales/CrazyPrepared"]two[/url] links? I can't believe nobody has mentioned the wonders of Tropertales yet...

Southwest

Postby Southwest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

This comic is 110% accurate.

I believe it may set a new standard for reflection of reality in an artistic medium.

(That is to say, I have experienced this more than once.)

sableye22

Postby sableye22 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

NO!

Spoiler:
With Cracked and Mental Floss and Listverse and Uncyclopedia.....
I REFUSE to succumb to this! :!:
You don't have to spend, you just have to pretend.

jsnipe

Postby jsnipe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

The same thing happened when I found The foggy monocle and photobomb.

I could add more, but why be cruel?

Scratch that, lets post our favorite timesinks and lay waste to the masses!

http://fmylife.com
http://nedroidcomics.livejournal.com/
http://listoftheday.blogspot.com/
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/
http://www.hulu.com
http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/
http://www.freethedice.com/

And those are just my top 7 dailies. Any others?
Bite me. Better yet; hold still.

aterimperator

Postby aterimperator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

Cracked is good and all, but this guy gets me even more effectively: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001278.html

boradis

Postby boradis » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

TVTropes is good, except that for every citation of a trope from something like "The Cosby Show," there's entire plot summaries from 35 increasingly obscure animes.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:TVTropes is merely the material emanation of the True Net Lord, Shub-Internet. WE ALL DO HIS BIDDHELPMEAJANAJAQ*#&*(!&@$&%&%NO CARRIER

Funny that the NO CARRIER somehow managed to cause the form to be submitted

Fendttron

Postby Fendttron » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

I feel like the guy in the comic when browsing through random Wiki's - House, Marvel, etc. I even read a lengthy article on Homsar on the Homestar Wiki.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

boradis wrote:TVTropes is good, except that for every citation of a trope from something like "The Cosby Show," there's entire plot summaries from 35 increasingly obscure animes.

The reason being that on this internet, there are a lot more anime fanatics than Cosby fanatics. The demographic representation is upheld. if you want something about an older show like that, put it in. That's one of the strengths (and weaknesses) of a wiki-style site.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

GreatWizard

Postby GreatWizard » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Cracked is great, but I miss PWoT (Pointless Waste of Time). Some of their best articles were never copied (like the file thief registry article)

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

I got lucky enough that after spending enough time on TVTropes I became immune to this effect. Of course, now I spend all my time on the TV Tropes forums instead. So yeah...

Pure-???

Postby Pure-??? » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

I read the first few panels and the title and immediately thought "Wow. That happens to me whenever I go on TVTropes."

Then I saw the last panel. It was amazing. I laughed really hard.

Siguy

Postby Siguy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

Wow. I agree so much. I've spent entire nights browsing tvtropes. It is the most addictive website of all time. They seriously have an article on everything. It even has a page called "TVtropes will ruin your life".

null1024

Postby null1024 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

I decided to ignore the warning of the last panel, went there, and it's been a few hours, and there are 9 tabs open [a lot for me, I usually just reuse tabs [if I didn't, I'd have about 25+ tabs open...], but I keep dragging links onto the tab bar so I can continue reading...]. You'd think someone who only watches CNN/FOX/*insert news channel here* [and doesn't really watch] would be able to ignore the seductive powers of this place. Wrong.

*opens up about:memory*
Hunh. Chrome doesn't eat memory, I'm only using about 120MB.

L33tsaber

Postby L33tsaber » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

I was just on a several hour long TVTropes reading spree yesterday.

It doesn't help any that every time I start a game, series, or comic, I just have to see if it's got a wiki page on that site.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

10nitro wrote:You know what's the worst? Today, TV tropes linked me to cracked.

Both of which distract me from hacking. Ugh, I need to port a Windows app to Linux by the end of the week, and want to get tar importing coded on rvs...

Arg, I hate it when they do that! You just can't escape!

Also, speaking of hacking, never open up the Jargon File unless you've got an hour or two to kill. Trust me. (And it's positively tiny compared to most wikis.)

As an aside, is it a bad sign that I tried making italics with the twin-single-quote style wikicode uses?

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

You guys do know that tropes are different from literary devices, right? (Although devices are within tropes)

I mean, the TVtropes wiki isn't even a real wiki! It's not on Meta-Wiki (or whatever) and the markup is different from other wikis! They actually needed help from a Google custom search engine because something was wrong with the first one. Not that I have a problem with the Google engine.
And there's also the fact that a lot are stating opinions (but they are trying to change that).

But I have found myself browsing around a lot too. But then again, I've done the same thing on Wikipedia.

Edit:
DragonHawk wrote:
vviipp wrote:I mean, the TVtropes wiki isn't even a real wiki! It's not on Meta-Wiki (or whatever) and the markup is different from other wikis!

You may want to find out what a wiki is before saying TVTropes isn't one.

In particular, the wiki markup TVT uses is closer to the *original* wiki, known variously as "the Portland Pattern Repository" (the project which it supports), "C2" (from Cunningham & Cunningham, the company which operates it), "Ward's Wiki" (after Ward Cunningham, the creator), or just plain "the WikiWikiWeb" (its original title). See: http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiHistory

Wikipedia and the other wikis operated by the WikiMedia Foundation (WMF) run different software, called MediaWiki. MediaWiki was written by WMF for WMF, but is popular elsewhere. I prefer MediaWiki myself. MediaWiki is notable for not using WikiWords by default, but rather, exclusively using free-linking instead.

For software, TVT started with something called PmWiki, but it's been hacked on so extensively that it's arguably a custom implementation by now.

Alright, thanks for clearing it up. (Jackass.)
Last edited by vviipp on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:58 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

Storm

Postby Storm » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

tvtropes has just wasted 8 hours of productivity. I hope you're happy Randall. hehe.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

I get like this sometimes on Science factoid articles on Yahoo. It's also pretty much my behavior on Wikipedia.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

This comic isn't as good as the classic "the problem with Wikipedia", but it's very true.

I discovered TVtropes last year. After ending up in tab hell (which I eventually escaped by cutting my losses and just ruthlessly closing ALL of them without reading them) I vowed never to go there again.

...So about a month ago I went on there again, and ended up with a peak backlog of 220+ Firefox tabs, 90% of which were TVtropes. This is on my mum's 1.6Ghz laptop with 512MB of RAM, so reopening Firefox and re-downloading all the pages took at least 10 minutes each time. This was so painful that I started using Opera for quick net access (and then I also managed to build up a massive backlog of pages on that as well).

Fortunately last weekend I got through all those tabs and have now got it down to a more manageable 20ish, none of which are TVtropes! Even this xkcd comic didn't make me succumb...

I also generally do the same thing when I come across a new film, music or book critic's website; I go through their archive clicking on all the titles I like to find out what they thought of them. Most recently this happened with Ferretbrain.com (whose amazing Harry Potter 7 reviews I believe I found via, er, TVtropes...)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”