0609: "Tab Explosion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheGirlWhoStoleTheHat

Re: "Tab Explosion" Discussion

Postby TheGirlWhoStoleTheHat » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

I have never been on TVTropes. Now, considering what happened one time when I read the Wikipedia page about Russia (result: I still have loads of tabs bookmarked that I have no time to finish reading), should I even go within a mile of the site?

I read practically this whole thread thinking, "I will not succumb to TVTropes, no matter what happens," but now I'm curious and I'm weighing up the pros and cons.

Pros:
it's the summer holidays so I have a lot of time to kill.
I hate not knowing something that everyone else knows.

Cons:
next year I'm starting my GCSE exams, and if I get hooked on TVTropes I will fail epicly.
oh, screw it, I'm going on there...

I will update later to say if I have become addicted yet.

Edit: GODDAMN YOU!!!!!!!!! Not even 15 minutes later, and I already have six tabs open!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: an hour and a half later, I'm out. I closed all the tabs I had open and now I'm never going back there again.
I can act crazy without alcohol. Jealous?

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

TheGirlWhoStoleTheHatGuysHat wrote:Edit: an hour and a half later, I'm out. I closed all the tabs I had open and now I'm never going back there again.

You can't get away that easily. TVTropes is calling your name. You can hear it. It has you now. Moowhohahahahahah!!!

;-)
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

daemonic666

Postby daemonic666 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:46 am UTC

So there I have it. Proof that I am totally and utterly lost to the cause of the net geek world.

I knew I recognised the picture that was used on the Wiki Walk page on TVTropes (and again, thanks to this comic for linking me there - I have found my home, at long last). It's this comic, from our very own favourite stickmen comic writer: http://xkcd.com/214/.

I hate you all. This took three nights in a row where I was up until 3. And I haven't gotten under 60-80 pages yet. If I have to read the entire TVTropes archive, I think my head may a-splode.

Interestingly, I haven't felt the need to click any of the links to other time-sinks that are frequently listed. This is weird...

strat1227

Postby strat1227 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

How am I the first one to post this???

http://www.cracked.com/blog/clippy-fina ... -word-doc/

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

strat1227 wrote:How am I the first one to post this???

How? Maybe because it has nothing to do with this thread or the comic?

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
strat1227 wrote:How am I the first one to post this???
How? Maybe because it has nothing to do with this thread or the comic?
The Alt-text for this comic:
Cracked.com is another inexplicable browser narcotic. They could write a list of '17 worst haircuts in the Ottoman Empire' and I'd read through to the end, then click on all the links at the end.

The premise of the cracked article was the interaction with Clippy while the author was writing a fictitious article of the same name
The Mohawks were among Native America’s fiercest tribes, and the primal spike of the Mohawk Cut echoes that warrior legacy to this day. Sadly, however, the reverse is also true: The shittier an empire, the shittier the haircut. With that in mind, we present to you the 17 Worst Haircuts in The Ottoman Empire…

So, yeah it does. I was about to post this to General when I saw strat1227 posted it here.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:
cracked.com wrote:With that in mind, we present to you the 17 Worst Haircuts in The Ottoman Empire…

Ahhhh, I ignored the text of the "article" being written; I presumed it was filler. My apologies to strat1227.

/me hangs head in shame

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

In all fairness, it didn't further the overall story of the Cracked article, and could easily be overlooked. But it was a nice tip of the hat to XKCD.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Matthew21210

Postby Matthew21210 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

Gentlemen, I think we know what needs to be done.
Yes.
A Re-Re-shoutout.

EhloVader

Postby EhloVader » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:17 am UTC

Surprised to see this comic still very active here.. but also not. It was hilarious, and I like that it was also linked to content related to the comic.

I find myself doing this on numerous sites. Stumble Upon had taken over my life briefly, until i realized anything worthwhile I would decide to save in bookmarks to read later. But then never read it later... thus accumulating an unorganized mess of contextless bookmarks. Read It later Add on for firefox, although I thought would save me from the mess, actually made it easier to create.

Keybounce

Postby Keybounce » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:23 am UTC

Bumpity.

Two addons that might solve this tabsplosion problem.

1: Taboo (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 56?src=api)
2. Read it later (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 61?src=api)

Haven't played with taboo at all; just started with RiL. More as I play and see how well they work.
<this space on hold>

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:09 am UTC

I've had at least half a dozen full-on battles with TVTropes, each of them involving hundreds of tabs and far more than 60 minutes.
Exit the vampires' castle.

JustTheBast

Postby JustTheBast » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:01 am UTC

xPi wrote:Opera is good at containing tab explosions

That is exactly what my opera tab bar looked like (on a widescreen monitor, no less), after I foolishly followed a link to TVTropes, believing in my naïveté that my prior knowledge of the site would protect me. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. Especially since one of the trope pages linked to a list on cracked.com.

Three days (and one missed appointment) later, I've regained enough self control to cull the tab list down to a point where the tabs are at least large enough to display the favicon.

Throughout that entire time I kept thinking of this XKCD strip.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

JustTheBast wrote:That is exactly what my opera tab bar looked like...

Look for a TreeStyleTab clone for Opera. It won't fix the tab explosion, but it will help you manage it better.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8319 ... letabs.png

I honestly can no longer do any serious web browsing if I don't have it. It's like watching TV without a DVR. Just too painful.

MaxtotheMax

Postby MaxtotheMax » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

Madonkadonk

Re: 0609: "Tab Explosion"

Postby Madonkadonk » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:43 am UTC

Help out a good cause, go to http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/p/cause/#tnc and download the extension, then, against everything you have trained yourself to stop doing, go to tvtropes. ITS FOR A GOOD CAUSE DAMMIT YOU CAN LOSE ONE DAY!

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: 0609: "Tab Explosion"

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:09 pm UTC

I remember the first time I got to XKCD was because the homepage of TV Tropes referred this particular comic.
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”