0611: "Disaster Voyeurism"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Squid Tamer

Re: "Disaster Voyeurism" Discussion

Postby Squid Tamer » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:13 am UTC

My family had "Hurricane Parties" for Ivan and Katrina. Since our house was a bit safer/in a better location than some of the other family members, they all came here and had a party while the rain and wind was howling outside. :lol:

zug

Postby zug » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:27 am UTC

Squid Tamer wrote:My family had "Hurricane Parties" for Ivan and Katrina. Since our house was a bit safer/in a better location than some of the other family members, they all came here and had a party while the rain and wind was howling outside. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

This is pretty stupid. I prefer to watch hurricanes from a safe distance of > 1000 miles
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:07 am UTC

We have hurricane parties for almost anything that heads in the general direction of Houston/Galveston, although the Cat 2's on up have us heading inland another 20 miles or so to my uncle's house. Safe, but still get to see the show. :D

Ike last year actually brought the whole family a lot closer after being stuck in a house with 22 people (including a 10-month-old baby) and without power for 2 weeks.

My house (which was my grandparents' at the time) was wiped out after Alicia in '83, and then it was flooded during Allison in 2001, had to gut out the whole first floor. Ike this year just turned the town's streets into Venice for 2 days, but the house only sustained minor damage. My sister's house in central Galveston... that's another story. She got moved in in January though, but about 75% of her neighborhood is still in ruins.

But yes, I love watching the hurricanes. Always been fascinated with weather phenomenons. I'm actually reading Isaac's Storm, which is about the 1900 Great Galveston Hurricane.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

dabigkid

Postby dabigkid » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:52 am UTC

Is it just me or has Munroe become obsessed with voyeurism? He has been bringing it up a lot lately.

Randall... do... do you have something to tell us?
wut

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Very thought-provoking topic. Good choice of topic, Randall. :)

Delivery was a bit overdone, though.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:54 am UTC

Speaking of hurricanes has anyone heard about Bill Gates solution to the hurricane problem?
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Dr._Orion

Postby Dr._Orion » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 am UTC

rigaTony wrote:This comic reminds me of the "Death Cult" (K) for those of you familiar with Policy Debate.

Also it fits rather nicely with our debate about morality on the "Sheeple" comic.

Enlighten me, I am a LDer turned Policy debator so I could really use all the info I can get.

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:24 am UTC

I don't really ever wish for deadly disasters, though I do sometimes want the power to go out at college/work :P

Now, for hunting down truck drivers on horseback? All for that. Though I am a "catch and release" type of guy.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

Ferahgo

Postby Ferahgo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 am UTC

I don't consciously wish for people to die or anything, but I often find it... entertaining, anyway... when the weather screws up the natural schedule of things for me. I kind of enjoy being thrown for a loop by mother nature now and then, it keeps life a little interesting if nothing else. Reminds me that we're all still a bunch of animals and are still sometimes at the mercy of our planet.

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Thanks to this thread, I've found out that that the hurricane that I share my name with (Hurricane Andrew) was the costliest Atlantic Hurricane to hit the US before Katrina (almost $41 billion worth of damage) :twisted: . It surprises me that although it caused so much damage, it only caused the deaths of 65 people. It's kind of disappointing (in a "wasted potential" sort of way, not a "I really want more people to die" way).

Pazi

Postby Pazi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

I lived in Portland, Oregon for about ten years. In 2004, Mt St Helens was acting up a little; the day it happened was quite clear, and you could see the mountain from a very long way off. Riding the bus home, we suddenly encountered a traffic jam on the Ross Island bridge.

A large number of people had stopped their cars and gotten out, and were watching the mountain with interest, evidently unconcerned with all the other cars containing people who wanted to get somewhere.

The best part? People were disappointed that it wasn't bigger. They were hoping for a 1980-like huge release. Because, when you see a mild natural disaster, the first thing you wish for is that it had been worse...
Pretend you're a scrambler.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

Pazi wrote:I lived in Portland, Oregon for about ten years. In 2004, Mt St Helens was acting up a little; the day it happened was quite clear, and you could see the mountain from a very long way off. Riding the bus home, we suddenly encountered a traffic jam on the Ross Island bridge.

A large number of people had stopped their cars and gotten out, and were watching the mountain with interest, evidently unconcerned with all the other cars containing people who wanted to get somewhere.

The best part? People were disappointed that it wasn't bigger. They were hoping for a 1980-like huge release. Because, when you see a mild natural disaster, the first thing you wish for is that it had been worse...

Things like that make me think that Randall's in everybody's head... (he must work for the Party :shock: )
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

Whispering wrote:Speaking of hurricanes has anyone heard about Bill Gates solution to the hurricane problem?

He will save us all with two swimming tampons.

Salin

Postby Salin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Cup of Dirt wrote:Take-away from this comic: The new meme of proposing a comically horrible and violent plan, and then adding, "Like men once did."

You're doing it wrong.
Therefore, we must boil your liver in canola oil, feed it to the dogs, eat your heart while it's still beating, and offer you to Black Hat Guy, Like men once did.

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

^ That works actually.

Wait, there are Hurricane forums?

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:16 am UTC

After seeing yet another scare story about swine 'flu on the news this morning, I'm cheering for it to become a lot more deadly. There's been all this hype over something that isn't actually that bad (at the minute). I feel that it would be some kind of justice if the dire, doom-laden stories actually became true.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Math_Mage

Postby Math_Mage » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:After seeing yet another scare story about swine 'flu on the news this morning, I'm cheering for it to become a lot more deadly. There's been all this hype over something that isn't actually that bad (at the minute). I feel that it would be some kind of justice if the dire, doom-laden stories actually became true.

But that would justify all the doom and gloom on the news, which would serve only to give newspaper editors and TV anchors a smug sense of self-righteousness.

Oh, and people would die too. Right. That.
>.>
<.<

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Munzapoppa wrote:Thanks to this thread, I've found out that that the hurricane that I share my name with (Hurricane Andrew) was the costliest Atlantic Hurricane to hit the US before Katrina (almost $41 billion worth of damage) :twisted: . It surprises me that although it caused so much damage, it only caused the deaths of 65 people. It's kind of disappointing (in a "wasted potential" sort of way, not a "I really want more people to die" way).

Wait, wait wait... there are people who had never heard of Hurricane Andrew? Huh. My mind is blown.
(Andrew is like, my earliest memory. Note to anyone not familiar with hurricanes: Duct Tape covered windows can still blow out. This is not a good thing).

Just a quick fyi: Rick Sanchez (the CNN reporter) became rather well known down here after he apparently cried during his broadcast from Homestead, where Andrew had leveled entire neighborhoods... What I really don't get is how 117k homes were destroyed, but only 65 people died...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

japhmi

Postby japhmi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

While I don't exactly root for the hurricanes, I love watching the stupid reporter who thinks that standing on the beach in the pouring down rain and high winds makes it 'grittier' or something. I do root for the hurricane to blow them off their feet and into the maw of the raging ocean.

iceberg

Postby iceberg » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

Just realised this is a bit of a get out of my head moment... I'm going to New Orleans today!
}{}{}{}{}{
you put your mouth on that, and your not even wearing any underwear

TheGirlWhoStoleTheHat

Postby TheGirlWhoStoleTheHat » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

What about the whole swine flu thing, huh? It's not like it's good that people die, or anything, but in a weird way it would be quite cool to be able to tell your grandkids that you were alive during a flu pandemic, etc.

My mother actually caught the virus a few days ago, but I'm not really worried, because H1N1 is still a relatively mild strain, and she's taking Tamiflu, etc.

So I'll be able to tell my grandkids (or random people I talk to, anyway. I don't plan on having kids) that I know someone who survived swine flu in the pandemic.

Now, I must ask the question: there are hurricane forums??
I can act crazy without alcohol. Jealous?

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:38 am UTC

And within a month of this comic being published:

It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:57 am UTC

zug wrote:
Squid Tamer wrote:My family had "Hurricane Parties" for Ivan and Katrina. Since our house was a bit safer/in a better location than some of the other family members, they all came here and had a party while the rain and wind was howling outside. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

This is pretty stupid. I prefer to watch hurricanes from a safe distance of > 1000 miles

Pfft, it is no fun if it's lower than One!

pueben

Postby pueben » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

This is sort of fun to view from a Canetti perspective.

Disgust at collective killing is of very recent date and should not be over-estimated. Today everyone takes part in public executions through the newspapers. Like everything else, however, it is more comfortable than it was. We sit peacefully at home and, out of a hundred details, can choose to linger over which offer a special thrill. We only applaud when everything is over and there is no feeling of guilty connivance to spoil our pleasure. We are not responsible for the sentence, nor for the journalists who report its execution, nor for the papers which print them. None the less, we know more about the business than our predecessors, who may have walked miles to see it, hung around for hours and, in the end, seen very little. The baiting crowd is preserved in the newspaper reading public, in a milder form it is true, but, because of its distance from events, a more irresponsible one. One is tempted to say that it is the most despicable, and, at the same itme, most stable form of such a crowd. Since it does not even have to assemble, it escapes disintegration; variety is catered for by the daily reappearance of the papers.

- Crowds and Power, p. 59 f.

When you've read enough Canetti, everything is sort of fun to view from a Canetti perspective.

Freiberg

Re: 0611: "Disaster Voyeurism"

Postby Freiberg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:57 am UTC

Be honest: how many of you are rooting for the current ebola outbreak?

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: 0611: "Disaster Voyeurism"

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:41 pm UTC

Me reading this comic
Reading the alt-text
Thinking "hurricane forums exist"?
Googled it
Found some, at least 3 on the first page
"They do exist?"

Though, to be fair, I have visited a forum about trilobites.
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”