0611: "Disaster Voyeurism"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

glasnt

0611: "Disaster Voyeurism"

Postby glasnt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Alt Text: Hurricane forums are full of excited comments about central pressure and wind speed and comparisons to Camille and 1931 and 1938, with hastily-tacked-on notes about how it will be tragic if anyone dies and they hope it's a dud.

HI JOEE

Josephine

Re: "Disaster Voyeurism" Discussion

Postby Josephine » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:04 am UTC

I do this. All the time. Second post!!11!

EDIT: I meant I hope for hurricanes to kill lots of people. Not pick off commuters on horseback.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

westrim

Postby westrim » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:06 am UTC

I bow to your submit-fu "bows".

I was going to say/ already said in my attempt that I like to root for earthquakes (magnitude 6.3? lets go for 6.5 next time). It's a guilty pleasure, especially for a Southern Californian.

Tofer

Postby Tofer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Glad to see I'm not the only sick person out there who roots for hurricanes.

Whenever the category drops I always secretly feel disappointed.

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Is there any other reason to watch the news?

Edit: Living in a totally hurricane free area helps, I can feel safely assured that a hurricane isn't going to get me next in some sort of poetic justice.
Last edited by rocketrat on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wallacoloo

Postby wallacoloo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Yeah, it's kind of strange. Does anyone do things like this, but hoping a disaster happens to themselves? I always find myself hoping that there will be an earthquake, or that the bus will crash on the way to school. I guess I just don't experience enough thrilling events in my life...

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:10 am UTC

I've never bet money on natural disasters.

That's probably a good thing, because Australia was nearly taken out by a tsunami the other day... I'm glad their modeling was just "so" perfect :roll:

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Nice to see Black Hat Guy again.

I sometimes hope..just barely hope.. that North Korea actually launches an ICBM in a town close to mine, but without the radiation affecting me, just so I can tell my grandchildren I lived through a nuclear war.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Yato

Postby Yato » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:13 am UTC

......I live in Florida.

So its ironic that I DO wish for this.

But its not so that I can watch the horrors of dieing people.
I dont care about that. (heheh..thought I was gonna be nice eh?)
I just love it when my front and backyard are wrecked. All the trees all over the ground, except the big ones that will NEVER fall.

And all the trees across the streets. The electricity doesnt work for days so my brother and I sneak out with the other neighborhood kids and run around doing graffiti and attacking peoples houses with mud-balls...

...Theres no electricity we need SOMETHING to do at night.

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:17 am UTC

I can personally assert that the alt-text is true, having been part of a betting pool in a Wikipedia talk page about hurricanes back in 2005. Ironic timing for the comic, though, as there have been only 4 named storms in the pacific and no named storms at all in the Atlantic this year.

Zero51423

Postby Zero51423 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:20 am UTC

Woops, posted on the wrong one! well, here my post again. Mods, please don't kill me!!!

Yay, it's hat guy! I've been wondering what happened to him. Also, everybody has an extremely violent side that society tries to teach us is wrong, but it continues to exist through these types of thoughts because its human nature. And speaking of nature, tornadoes are cool as long as they are nowhere near you.

Also, despite the fact that I live in Louisville, KY, I lost power for a week in September due to hurricane Ike. STUPID WEATHER!!

Sir-Taco

Postby Sir-Taco » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Hey, I did that... until Katrina that is. Probably in a few years I'll go back to rooting for the hurricanes.

Ahhh, Black Hat Man, good to have you back.
The world is a cold and dark place, so start fire.

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Finally a decent hat guy comic. 7/10

9/11 was one of the most exciting days of my life.
Randall, get out of my trunk!

zug

Postby zug » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:29 am UTC

I frequently wish I'd get hit by a truck on the way to work, so I'd be hospitalized and everyone would come and bring me flowers and I wouldn't have to work in the weeks I recovered.

It's possibly related.

Only natural disaster in my area is tornadoes, and I'm too scared shitless to wish those on anybody. Even myself. Because getting hurt in a tornado has a pretty high correlation with dying in one.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

fujiyamaninja

Postby fujiyamaninja » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Scary. I'm having basically the same type of conversation on yahoo messenger right now.

And speaking of 9/11, that was my birthday...

Ironically my current best deck is neither blue, nor has ninjas... o_O

westrim

Postby westrim » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Tofer wrote:Glad to see I'm not the only sick person out there who roots for hurricanes.

Whenever the category drops I always secretly feel disappointed.

I was disappointed when Katrina dropped to a Cat. 4 just before it reached New Orleans. I feel bad for saying that, but the city was already going to get hammered: a few more MPH wouldn't have made a difference.

Yato wrote: ...The electricity doesn't work for days so my brother and I sneak out with the other neighborhood kids and run around doing graffiti and attacking peoples houses with mud-balls...

...Theres no electricity we need SOMETHING to do at night.

Mudballs, trespassing/exploring- okay, I'm fine with that. The mud is fine if you really feel a need to piss and mark your territory. But graffiti? That makes you a class A asshole. As in, perhaps it should be a felony in the way felonies were regarded 150 years ago asshole. It's not like the people whose property you're attacking don't have enough damage to repair. Being from a city coated in the scourge, I have absolutely no sympathy for you should you get washed out to sea next time.

(Sorry fellow forum-goers but this sort of casual attitude towards destroying others stuff bugs the hell out of me.)

Freiberg wrote:I can personally assert that the alt-text is true, having been part of a betting pool in a Wikipedia talk page about hurricanes back in 2005. Ironic timing for the comic, though, as there have been only 4 named storms in the pacific and no named storms at all in the Atlantic this year.

The season has barely begun. The operative word right now is no named storms "yet".

kikaruu

Postby kikaruu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:32 am UTC

SO CLOSE!

Anyway, this happens to me all the time. and then, I wonder, Wait, what are you talking about?

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Where is black hat girl in all this? Creating hurricanes?
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

joee

Postby joee » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:38 am UTC

glasnt wrote:I've never bet money on natural disasters.

That's probably a good thing, because Australia was nearly taken out by a tsunami the other day... I'm glad their modeling was just "so" perfect :roll:

That was hilarious. Yay for no longer living on the coast (even though it never amounted to anything)

HI GLASNT
Hi glasnt.

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I live on the Florida Gulf Coast, and we got a lot of attention when Ivan hit in 2004. I cannot say I wasn't a little disappointed when Katrina veered a little west of us. I appreciated the month off of school and the whole story-of-a-lifetime deal. I mean, our house was barely damaged, but there is always a little bravado in shrugging off "cat 1s and 2s" or warning that "Ivan was a cat 3 when he hit, and look at all the damage he caused..."

I won't go so far as to say that it's human na--aw, screw it. It's human nature.

aeris92

Postby aeris92 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:47 am UTC

There are no hurricanes in Canada. By the time the Katrina weather system got up here, all we got was light showers. Also,

WELCOME BACK BLACK HAT GUY!!!!11two

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:51 am UTC

Lived in southeast Louisiana all my life. Old house in New Orleans flattened/drowned by Katrina.

It's hard to express my feelings of guilt regarding the indisputable truth of this comic.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

franzy

Postby franzy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:53 am UTC

Was this drawn in time for the Jakarta bombings?
Coinkydink.

Cup of Dirt

Postby Cup of Dirt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:57 am UTC

Take-away from this comic: The new meme of proposing a comically horrible and violent plan, and then adding, "Like men once did."
"Why can't people see things the way they are?"
"Because that's the way they are. Why can't you see that?"

Bobsama

Postby Bobsama » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Sounds like overclocking. You're doing it wrong (or not doing it enough) if nothing ever gets fried.

--Killed a PSU and motherboard the other day
--Lost a hard drive too
--Have spent more money on cooling my processor then the processor was bought for (and twice as much as it's now worth!)

Yet you hope you don't kill anything, because replacing it is expensive. And you still hope you kill something, so you have an excuse to buy new hardware.

rigaTony

Postby rigaTony » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:06 am UTC

This comic reminds me of the "Death Cult" (K) for those of you familiar with Policy Debate.

Also it fits rather nicely with our debate about morality on the "Sheeple" comic.

DarkLoaf

Postby DarkLoaf » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:08 am UTC

This one was great. Classic Black Hat. Though I can't to wait to see the comic where uppity White Hat meets Black Hat. They shall fight...like men once did.

Also Friday. :mrgreen:

Postby 6453893 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Last year, my city flooded for the first time since the seventies. We all got trapped in our school for the night. It ended up being one of the most fun nights I've ever spent, hanging with all my friends and exploring all the parts of the school that are strictly off limits in non-disaster situations. Since then, disasters have always held the possibility of excitement for me.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:33 am UTC

Yeah, I get excited when disasters happen, too.

But then again, no truly huge disasters happen where I live (thankfully). I just get to watch the carnage from affar via the tubes.

Also, it's not normal to sneak into operating rooms? :shock:
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:34 am UTC

First page for the second time! And again, I have nothign to add except the generic, "I feel bad, but I do the exact same thing sometimes" comment. Man, this sucks.

BlastOButter42

Postby BlastOButter42 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:53 am UTC

There are hurricane discussion forums? :shock:

I guess I can admit to liking disasters, but only for the chaos they cause -- for the break in the monotony, or to exercise some primitive survival mechanism center in my brain or something -- not because of people getting hurt. I really hope that that's not the reason most people "root" for hurricanes, something that I don't think I've ever done. I have thought that it might be kind of "fun" to live through a major disaster in my city, but I wouldn't want it to be one that killed or injured anyone...that just makes me feel bad.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:55 am UTC

BlastOButter42 wrote:I guess I can admit to liking disasters, but only for the chaos they cause, for the break in the monotony, or to exercise some primitive survival mechanism center in my brain or something, not because of people getting hurt. I really hope that that's not the reason most people "root" for hurricanes, something that I don't think I've ever done. I have thought that it might be kind of "fun" to live through a major disaster in my city, but I wouldn't want it to be one that killed or injured anyone...that just makes me feel bad.

Therein lies the cognitive dissonance. Hurricanes are damned impressive. So are most natural disasters. Their sheer force is just completely mindblowing; it goes against so many basic assumptions about nature. So people have this desire to see them, even though they know that it's very likely that people will get hurt (which they obviously don't want to happen, unless they're sociopaths).
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:56 am UTC

Reminds me of a stand-up comedy routine I've heard:
Mark Farrell wrote:When a hurricane has your name ... aren't you kind of "rooting" for it?

. . .

Hurricane Mark! (Yeah!) Taking out the trash!

Okay, found a copy; not quite how I remember it:
Mark Farrell wrote:Have you ever seen a hurricane with your name?
Aren't you pullin' for it?
<nods>
Your're damn right! That's my name! Hurricane Mark!
Taking out the trash!
Little "spring cleaning" going on there! Hurricane Mark.

- http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/comedians-a-z/f/mark-farrell/#clip37608, clip 3 of 4, 1:57
Warning: Brian-dead, crappy flash video. Player appears to stop working if you seek to a specific position. Edit: it actually worked properly once!
Last edited by phillipsjk on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Did you get the number on that truck?

penguinbassist

Postby penguinbassist » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 am UTC

Yay relatively-stable-winds-and-boring-tectonics!
I don't have to worry about natural disasters that much, so I kind of feel guilty about having an opinion about this...
Tasmania's only trouble is you'll die of boredom...

!! << Go BHG!!

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 am UTC

Simon17 wrote:Finally a decent hat guy comic. 7/10

9/11 was one of the most exciting days of my life.

I spent 9/11 on a crippled old bus to some camp out in the forest with the rest of my grade from school. I didn't hear about it until at least a week later.

But back on the subject, I live by the water, and our buildings are quite close to sea level. During construction the open basement foundation would flood a bit when the tide rose. Deep down I would be really excited to wake up one day to find the lower level of the building flooded (I live on the second (first?(not the ground floor)) floor, so there's no chance the water would get here, but it would be interesting if the mail got wet :lol: ).
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:09 am UTC

This comic pretty concisely explains the appeal of the Pandemic games.

Speedo

Postby Speedo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:12 am UTC

wallacoloo wrote:Yeah, it's kind of strange. Does anyone do things like this, but hoping a disaster happens to themselves? I always find myself hoping that there will be an earthquake, or that the bus will crash on the way to school. I guess I just don't experience enough thrilling events in my life...

I wish for a good zombie outbreak every once in a while. Just to spice things up I guess.

DieJay

Postby DieJay » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Considering that there's literally a ton of people who insist on staying home while their neighborhood is being torn to shreds, while all the animals have had the decency to run away to safety when a natural disaster happens, would you really bet on the other team?! :roll: GO HURRICANE GO! *waves a little sports flag*

And boy would I hate to have to take a ride with mr. black hat... although it sure sounds better to be on his good side.
Proud Duct-Tape Programmer since 2000.
"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity."
-W.A. Wulf

michael24easilybored

Postby michael24easilybored » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:56 am UTC

where are these hurricane discussion forums?

booyabazooka

George Carlin

Postby booyabazooka » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:58 am UTC

This thread needs some George Carlin.

I have absolutely no sympathy for human beings whatsoever. None. And no matter what kind of problem humans are facing, whether it's natural or man-made, I always hope it gets worse. Don't you? Don't you? Don't you have a part of you, a part of you that secretly hopes everything gets worse? When you see a big fire on TV... don't you hope it spreads? Don't you hope it gets completely out of control and burns down six counties? You don't root for the firemen do you? I mean I don't want them to get hurt or nothing, but I don't want them to put out my fire. That's my fire - that's nature showing off and having fun. I like fires.

You know something else I like? Those spring floods in the Midwest! Aren't they great? Like clockwork, spring floods in the Midwest. Now I'm starting to notice... I'm starting to catch on, that every year... it's the same story. Another flood, in the same place, with the same people, on the same river- SAME FUCKING PEOPLE! And these people do not move, they will not fucking move! They repaint, put down new carpeting and wallpaper and they move right back into the same fucking house on the flood plain, next to the river, and then they wonder why grandma's floating downstream with the parakeet on her head! Fourth time, again, fourth fucking time. There's no learning curve with these people. It's very hard to feel sorry for them. Every year - same people, same rowboats! Out there paddling around... rescuing a chicken. What the fuck kind of a life is that? "Well our kids love it here...? Oh really, what do they got, gills?

And while they're showing all that action on the screen, the announcer's saying to me "It's been raining steadily for three months now, the ground can't any more water... The river is cresting higher than it has it two centuries, the levees have washed away...? And I just hope it keeps raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining, and it rains steadily for five years... and then after that, for ten years it's cloudy. With occasional showers. And the river never returns to its natural banks! It becomes a completely new river, and the borders of three states have to be changed, and all the maps and atlases have to be redrawn and reprinted... and no one's couch ever completely dries out. For years and years, every time they sit down there's always that little "Squish...? "Dan, Linda, come on in you guys, have a seat" - "Squish!" "Squish!" I like that. I'm an interesting guy.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”