0623: "Oregon"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kdrive113

Re: "Oregon" Discussion

Postby kdrive113 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Noclaf

Postby Noclaf » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:32 am UTC

1337 Oregon trail:

1)be a farmer 2)spend all your $$ on axles, wheels, and ammo 3)only feed your family squirrels 4)ford all the rivers 5)keep them traveling at the highest speed

It can be done! I did it in Oregon Trail II for sure; I can't remember if I ever managed it in the original. And was I the only one who gave the children swear words for names?

Artanis00

Postby Artanis00 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 am UTC

Don't forget Let's Play Oregon Trail, either.

Goplat

Postby Goplat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:00 am UTC

Lawrensaurus wrote:Never take the ferry. Always caulk the wagon and float.
What's wrong with the ferry? It's safer and it only costs a few bucks.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:11 am UTC

Ah, this takes me back (20 yahrens old)
We used to play this in my first middle school, when we were supposed to be learning basic computer skills... this and scorched earth (I still have that floppy drive somewhere around here)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

useless_kodama

Postby useless_kodama » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:31 am UTC

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:49 am UTC

Ok, it seems that some of you don't get the joke with the overhunting, so let me explain:

In the original Oregon Trail, you could choose the difficulty level by choosing a profession--the less money your profession started out with, the more your score multiplier at the end. However, if you chose one of the less wealthy professions, your starting money will not be enough to outright purchase all of the supplies that you will require. The most common way of getting around this limitation was to purchase very little food at the start and instead bring lots of ammunition for hunting, and acquire most of your food that way. The game encouraged this by making animals plentiful over the majority of the trail, and by making 20 rounds of ammunition cost only about as much money as a single day's food at full rations.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:03 am UTC

I remember it was quite often that I thought I was doing well one day. Lots of food. Lots of money. Plenty of cattle to push the wagon.

And the next day I get killed by a ricochet from my gun.

tke

Postby tke » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:04 am UTC

pgn674 wrote:
thanksbastards wrote:I however do recall an awesome X-wing star wars game, all wireframe and excellent, which I am apparently the only person who ever played. That and that tank game and super violent animated chess. you know, with the queen with an anvil in her purse?
Oh man, I remember those. The X-Wing game was just called X-Wing. I remember I kept getting into an A-Wing, and setting the thruster on max, just to see how far I could get. That chess game was the first times I ever saw chess. I had no idea what was going on, and it took me a while to figure out that when you move your own guy onto the enemy's guy, your guy always wins the ensuing violent battle. I'm not sure which tank game you're talking about. Do you mean Bang-Bang, then canon game that Worms World Party takes after?

Ahh Battle Chess [wikipedia]. I still have it and it runs fine on DOSBox on win7. Aww if only I wasn't at work... :( Also pretty sure I played X-Wing but I think only once as I don't really remember it very well - I do remember the ossum graphics though.

DarthDaver

Postby DarthDaver » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:10 am UTC

Sorry, ummmm WHAT?

I'm not old enough for this, I guess...
Geeky webcomic drawn by my girlfriend, check it out!!!

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:22 am UTC

tke wrote:Ahh Battle Chess [wikipedia]. I still have it and it runs fine on DOSBox on win7. Aww if only I wasn't at work... :( Also pretty sure I played X-Wing but I think only once as I don't really remember it very well - I do remember the ossum graphics though.

Hey, yeahhhh. I remember Battle Chess.

Does anybody remember a text adventure game with graphics. You were in a plane and crashed on this island. You had to fix the plane and get off the island. I remember bridges, voodoo stuff and other adventures. Anybody know what it's called?

Wow, this thread is full of nostalgia win.

Except for this poor dork.
DarthDaver wrote:Sorry, ummmm WHAT?

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

iain_benson

Postby iain_benson » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:25 am UTC

ijuin wrote:Ok, it seems that some of you don't get the joke with the overhunting, so let me explain:

In the original Oregon Trail, you could choose the difficulty level by choosing a profession--the less money your profession started out with, the more your score multiplier at the end. However, if you chose one of the less wealthy professions, your starting money will not be enough to outright purchase all of the supplies that you will require. The most common way of getting around this limitation was to purchase very little food at the start and instead bring lots of ammunition for hunting, and acquire most of your food that way. The game encouraged this by making animals plentiful over the majority of the trail, and by making 20 rounds of ammunition cost only about as much money as a single day's food at full rations.

Makes slightly more sense now! Being from the UK, and never having heard of the game this one was somewhat lost on me. The only thing I know about Oregon is that the Transformers crashed into Mount St. Hilary there 4million years ago!

snafubar

Postby snafubar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:40 am UTC

Ah man, now I want to play it... I hadn't even thought about that game in ages...
We are god's unwanted children, so be it!

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:57 am UTC

Heh.... British, 27 years old, the Apple II wasn't deemed fit to go in our schools and so never really made it across the pond, let alone the rather ethnocentric teaching materials its host schools ran... (I have fairly vague memories of BBC Micros, Sinclair Spectrums, an Atari 800, a handful of Acorn Archimedeses and various awful RM Nimbus machines). Never even fired up an Ap.][ emulator.
Still, OT fanboyism is so goddamn rife across the internets I could probably play the game upside down and blindfold and still come out of it with a good score. So, I kinda got the joke ... though I had to come on here and check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Oregon to be sure.

ie, if all the RL settlers had played the game the way you have to in order to win, the area would have been utterly devastated within a few years, rather than still being reasonably pleasant wilderness. And full of rail lines, apparently.

iain_benson wrote:The only thing I know about Oregon is that the Transformers crashed into Mount St. Hilary there 4million years ago!

WIN!
(partly because i'd been recently wondering how they worked Mt St Helens into the storyline when it basically destroyed everything around - and went off a year later IRL than it did in TF canon. A: Not *quite* the same mountain, or that big an eruption :))
(Jahoclave, useless_kodama (great name)... also win :D :D)

thanksbastards wrote:how old do you need to be to have grown up w/ the oregon trail? I am 21 and my friends al lclaim to remember it, but I never actually played. saw it played, but not me myself. I however do recall an awesome X-wing star wars game, all wireframe and excellent, which I am apparently the only person who ever played. That and that tank game and super violent animated chess. you know, with the queen with an anvil in her purse?

You were an Amiga kid and I claim my seven dollars.
The "star wars x-wing game" you refer to was almost certainly actually the home computer conversion of Atari's original, 3D, sit-down cabinet, Star Wars arcade game. Pretty much the first 16-bit title I ever played, at a lucky friend's house, and then maybe the third or fourth when rolling thru all the floppies that came with a freshly purchased (2nd hand) ST some years later.
Ah, memories. Me and my brother lost so much of our youth in the pursuit of pwning that game (and so many others). It's still fun to load up for an emulator blast now and then. X-wing / tie fighter / X vs Tie are awesome in their own right still, but require too much committment of time & space/effort vs the equivalent of a single coin credit, a RAR-ed up single sided floppy image (with another game on!), and a click (load emulator), click (load disc), "1" (choose game from menu) :D
We were pretty jealous of you Amoeba bastards with Battlechess (and a non-lame version of Monkey Island / existant version of SoMI2). No good goddamn reason why it couldn't have been converted to the One True Platform. We had to settle for Chessmaster 3000 instead, which was nice and all, but after a while you sort of tired of the novelty of digitised speech (!), the "3D" option (think "Doom", but at 0.1mph) and it repeatly kicking your ass even on the easiest level. Who needs deep blue?
Not sure about "that tank game", unless you mean Battlezone? (Or Conqueror, which was flat-poly 3rd person view?).

scwizard wrote:I'm 19 and I grew up with this game as well.
I think I played it on an apple II or something, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Jesus christ the thing is unkillable! Most 14~22 year olds I know (and there are some) wouldn't know an 8-bit machine or game if it smacked them upside the head, apart from the GBC one has rotting in a cupboard.
Then again, the start menu of the machine I'm sitting at (educational establishment ;) DOES have something in one of the sections that is for all intents and purposes a slightly graphically richer port of Granny's Garden. Might even have the same name (it takes so long to load the various parts from the server I ain't going hunting it). Which I remember from the BBC Micro and PCDOS v1-running 80186 Nimbus. Some things just will. not. die.

Kow, Lulzfish wrote: I still don't get it

facepalm

zaqwithaq wrote:we're on a family vacation to Oregon and last week during music camp, we had daily skits parodying the Oregon Trail.

Do the youngsters in the group even have the faintest idea what you're all going on about? :D

luminary wrote:rocket game choosing various parts to see which goes highest

afraid not, but I'd love to know what it was... probably played several things similar to that on the school's pokey machines, however, and maybe even as magazine-cover-mounted shareware on the atari :p it twangs some kind of memory string.
(though we ripped thru so many different things on that machine - software diversity just isn't what it once was :( - its hard to be sure exactly what we played and liked that other people would even have heard of... there's some awesome things I'm sure that only the dwindling fellow twighlight-years readership of ST Format would have seen)

Max2009 wrote:Text adventure with graphics, crashed plane, voodoo...

Ahhhh...! I don't *remember* it as such, but I have briefly PLAYED it in the last year, so you're not going mad. I was rolling through a big stack of DOS abandonware or "fresh" discs for my ST emulator or something. Can't remember the name I'm afraid, but it was probably a Sierra title if you want to spin thru their back catalogue. Managed a couple hours of reasonable puzzling entertainment til I got absolutely jam-stuck.
Last edited by tahrey on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:
tke wrote:Ahh Battle Chess [wikipedia]. I still have it and it runs fine on DOSBox on win7. Aww if only I wasn't at work... :( Also pretty sure I played X-Wing but I think only once as I don't really remember it very well - I do remember the ossum graphics though.

Hey, yeahhhh. I remember Battle Chess.

Does anybody remember a text adventure game with graphics. You were in a plane and crashed on this island. You had to fix the plane and get off the island. I remember bridges, voodoo stuff and other adventures. Anybody know what it's called?

Wow, this thread is full of nostalgia win.

Except for this poor dork.
DarthDaver wrote:Sorry, ummmm WHAT?

Theres a new version of that game for Gameboy called Survival Kids. (Or at least, same generic plot line). It has 8 different endings.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:04 am UTC

mrbaggins wrote:Theres a new version of that game for Gameboy called Survival Kids. (Or at least, same generic plot line). It has 8 different endings.

Yeah, I've seen that, it's an interesting idea... (GBC or GBA i think? and it has a built in realtime clock in the cartridge?)
But it's not the same game by any chalk. The fact that they're stranded on an island is probably the only link.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:18 am UTC

Knock yerselves out with this slice of nostalgia: http://www.virtualapple.org/oregontraildisk.html
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

RandAlThor

Postby RandAlThor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:38 am UTC

You know what?

If you've never played the 1974 American Educational game "Oregon Trail" don't even bother reading today's strip.

We don't need your kind here.

phi_kappa

Postby phi_kappa » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:45 am UTC

thanksbastards wrote:how old do you need to be to have grown up w/ the oregon trail? I am 21 and my friends al lclaim to remember it, but I never actually played. saw it played, but not me myself. I however do recall an awesome X-wing star wars game, all wireframe and excellent, which I am apparently the only person who ever played. That and that tank game and super violent animated chess. you know, with the queen with an anvil in her purse?

the tank game you are talking about was/is very probably the one called Scorched Earth and has lost nothing of its awesomness over the years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_Earth_(video_game)

And then there was also the one with the strange guy who wanted to be a pirate. Quite funny, actually. But i'd bet nobody remembers that one...
Hooray for retro gaming.

JaFaR Ironclad

Postby JaFaR Ironclad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Phi Kappa, I believe the pirate game you seek to remember is "The Secret of Monkey Island" by Lucasfilm Games.

The first in a trilogy of what many believe to be the best point-and-click adventures ever created.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:05 am UTC

RandAlThor wrote:You know what?

If you've never played the 1974 American Educational game "Oregon Trail" don't even bother reading today's strip.

Tough; I'm here anyway. :P

Wow, that was early. I mean, that predates Adventure.

keithc

Postby keithc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:12 am UTC

RandAlThor wrote:You know what?

You know what?

I just took the whole thing as a parody of American rapaciousness, so it was still funny.

Go forth and multiply.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 am UTC

Well, with the journeys across the Rocky Mountains being relatively small change in these parts, I'm fairly certain this here Oregon Trail never made landfall. I do recall playing one of those text-adventure style games though back in the BBC Microcomputer days; I'm fairly certain it was called 'Habitat', as you ran around as your choice of animal and deciding how to survive the food chain, but can't seem to find a link to it.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:19 pm UTC

I was born in '91 and I remember playing the Apple ][ Oregon Trail once or twice at school; a few years later I got the Windows version and went to town(you couldn't really kill everything on the screen, though: it all ran at first gunshot).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

RockShrimp

Postby RockShrimp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

Luminary wrote:Hey does anyone remember that Rocket ship game where you could choose one of like 8 nose cones, shafts, fins and engines and you had to try and launch your rocket the highest?

Dude, yes. What was that called? I always sucked at that one and Mario Teaches Typing (but only when I didn't cheat. Dear Mario, I still hunt & peck, but now I can do it without looking... suck on that)

thesilv3r

Postby thesilv3r » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

Sounds a lot like the game Hugo III. Definitely my most played game in the Hugo series.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Noclaf wrote:1337 Oregon trail:

1)be a farmer 2)spend all your $$ on axles, wheels, and ammo 3)only feed your family squirrels 4)ford all the rivers 5)keep them traveling at the highest speed

It can be done! I did it in Oregon Trail II for sure; I can't remember if I ever managed it in the original. And was I the only one who gave the children swear words for names?

n00b. Teacher was better. Higher bonus multiplier. As for the rest. All you need is ammo and a willingness to screw over the natives.

And I will say it again. Fuck the ferry. It's a worthless piece of crap that ends up killing little Tara Ma Sue.

Fred

Postby Fred » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Heh, never played the game. In fact, i don't know anything about oregon(else than that it exists) or the oregon trail.
But I guess it's only natural to never having played an american learning game in sweden. >_>

robotsy

Postby robotsy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

The last line about how the Oregon was abandoned is reminiscent of how all the dwarves of Moria were killed in LOTR

lihan161051

Postby lihan161051 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

I started at "Oregon Trail" in Wikipedia and ended up at "Pyroclastic flow", without ever seeing any mention of the game.

But I speed-read sometimes.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

If anybody can hear this transmission through the endless noise of nostalgia,
I SERIOUSLY DON'T GET THE ALT-TEXT.

Seriously.
Is Oregon Trail supposed to be about escaping Oregon? Was that the joke?
I don't get it.

Sabine

Postby Sabine » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

I knew it was Oregon Trail - I loved that game when I was a kid, right up there with Temple of Ra.

And I have the new version on my iPhone, I think the older version was harder to survive, either that or my decision making skills have improved.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:If anybody can hear this transmission through the endless noise of nostalgia,
I SERIOUSLY DON'T GET THE ALT-TEXT.

Seriously.
Is Oregon Trail supposed to be about escaping Oregon? Was that the joke?
I don't get it.

Get off my lawn, you young whipper-snappper.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Ah yes. The only real way to play Oregon Trail. Fuck food. Fuck wagon wheels. Fuck axles. Fuck wagon tongues. Fuck spare oxen (metaphorically speaking.) Nothing but ammo, and hunting every day. That way you could have fun while playing an educational game in class, and the teacher wouldn't make you play one of those stupid keyboarding games.

kelvinc

Postby kelvinc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

It wasn't until years after I stopped playing OT that it dawned on me that the game tells me how deep is the river before I choose which option.

The Snake River is 15 feet deep. Do you wish to... ...
FORD THE RIVER!

Yah, after a few times of that I gave up on fording entirely. Caulking FTW.

Also, I remember how sadly dilapidated Fort Hall looked.
And why could we never choose the California Trail?
Finally, I recall that nobody at school remembers how long it takes to raft down the river at The Dalles. Oh the slaughter of wagon-rafters as the lunch bell rang... ...

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

*Whoooooooosh*

That was the sound of this comic going right over my head.

Was this game ever released in Europe? I've never, ever, even heard of it. Never heard anyone refer to it. Never saw it in any list of top games or anything. What kind of conspiracy is this?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Ithica

Postby Ithica » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

It's been over a fortnight since you've written anything that could be even considered a real joke, Randell. Maybe you should take some time off from the webcomic and come back in a few weeks and see if you can create something comic then.

It's a bad sign when I get more laughs out of a single blog post criticizing your comic than I've had from the actual comic over the course of easily half a year. The worst part of that is the blog is limited by whatever your comic is like on the day, where as you have all week to come up with three measly comics.

Perhaps you should consider if the comic is even worth the time and money you put into it. Clearly the magic's been lost (and has been for years now) and you probably don't even like writing it any more, you've been showing signs of a man who's trying to claw back at whatever made the site special in the first place, and it's not working.

Consider writing a blog instead - it wouldn't be a great divergence from the webcomic (after all, it's rare the images contribute anything to the writing). You could post some of your ideas and concepts on there, and wouldn't be forced to try and make a joke out of them so you can show people it (You've been guilty of doing this more often than usual lately, the Haiku and Flying ideas clearly came first, then you tried to shoehorn a joke in afterwards). You also could post as often or infrequent as you'd like, and posts could be as detailed or as brief as you'd like.

Please consider it, Randell, I really think it would improve the site substantially.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

Wow, Ithica. Harsh. But I agree. I don't know why I keep coming back to this comic. Hopeful, I guess?

Anyway, apparently you can be too old to get this one, too. I know my twenty-six-year-old wife will appreciate it, but I'm thirty-four, and I never heard of the game until I met her.

ishqboli

Postby ishqboli » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

as an Oregonian I gots to represent.... 2009: Oregon consists of trees, hippies, kayaks, and pot.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

ishqboli wrote:as an Oregonian I gots to represent.... 2009: Oregon consists of trees, hippies, kayaks, and pot.

Sounds a lot like Upstate New York. Happy 40th birthday for Woodstock, BTW.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”