0623: "Oregon"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jhumOneOhOne

Re: "Oregon" Discussion

Postby jhumOneOhOne » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

atimholt wrote:Apparently, you guys didn't actually read the comic.
You see, the juxtaposition of a winning strategy (taking a cartload of nothing but bullets) layered overtop actual history (imagine if all 500,000 imaginary settlers did this, and if the majority were adolescents and children)...

You can juxtapose all you want, but this is still just a timeline of things that happen in Oregon Trail. And unfortunately, those who dislike this comic either "don't get it" or are branded "trolls". Or even worse, "you must not have a sense of humor". Remember kids, if you can't win an argument, just use personal attacks!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

atimholt wrote:Apparently, you guys didn't actually read the comic.

Oh, of course...

You see, the juxtaposition of a winning strategy (taking a cartload of nothing but bullets) layered overtop actual history (imagine if all 500,000 imaginary settlers did this, and if the majority were adolescents and children)...

... is a potentially clever and poignant idea, but you see, a bad execution can absolutely ruin an idea. I wouldn't use the term "ruined" in today's comic, but that was a prime example of an idea being carelessly thrown to the floor, without any true development, fleshing or consideration. Come to think of it: it doesn't NEED development, fleshing and consideration, because it's the nostalgic reference that gets people all over the walls with praise. Look at the discussion here: people are not talking about that "juxtaposition" you talk about, they're just getting nostalgic about the game.

Also that commentary about "dissecting humour" is the most braindead and openly dishonest thing someone can say in defence of art; you see, when xkcd is good, I can analyse it and dissect it to death, I will know why I find it funny, I will understand why I find it funny, I will be able to explain it, and I will enjoy it even more. When humour is good, it is enhanced by analysis. The arguments you use almost read like "I'm too dumb to understand it, so I'm happy to just laugh at it!".

atimholt

Postby atimholt » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

Obvious troll. My reply contained no personal attacks. I'm going to shut up for the duration of the thread now.
Totally random totally awesome SF quote:
Jorane Sutt put the tips of carefully-manicured fingers together and said, "It's something of a puzzle. In fact--and this is in the strictest confidence--it may be another one of Hari Seldon's crises."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Man, what is your definition of a troll?

I wholeheartedly agree with SirMustapha. He's not trolling; he's giving a well conceived opinion, and I don't think he's being mean at all. I agree with every word. Thanks for standing up for your opinion, Sir.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:50 am UTC

I never played The Oregon Trail.1 In fact, I can't recall ever seeing anyone else play the game. So no nostalgia here in the least. I had heard about the game through second hand sources, though, which allowed me to recognize that the comic was about the game when I first read it.

Yet I thought the comic was funny. Laughed when I first read it. Even though I didn't understand everything (specifically the significance of the cartloads of bullets). It was still funny.

1Now, if he'd done a comic about Rails West! then I would admit to spending far too many hours playing it.
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

racoonjwoolsey

Postby racoonjwoolsey » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:49 am UTC

*moans in sleep*

no...

...the wagon cant tip it wont tip it zzzzzzzzzzzzz

:shock:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

*rocks in corner*

"there is no wagon, it didn't tip there is no wagon, it didn't tip, deep breathes, deep breathes."

Seriously though, writing that post nearly sent shivers down my spine.

wagon and tip, are not to be used in the same sentence when speaking to people who haved played this game.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:41 pm UTC

Never played Oregon Trail, but somebody mentioned Scorched Earth. That game is awesome! There's been tons of clones but most of em sem to lack what I think is once of the coolest features of the original: deforming terrain. Say you fire a large blast into a side of the hill. In most of this types of games, it would leave a circular hole in the side of the hill, but in the original Scorched the ground over the hole actually falls down!

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

I never played 'Oregon Trail', so I missed the fact that this timeline was a reference to the Game.

I did, however, find the number of gun references in the comic amusing. I'm not sure why, however.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:27 am UTC

I've only met like, 4 people that knew what Scorched Earth was. I have it on my computer :3

Anywho, I enjoyed the comic. Isn't my favorite, but I smiled. That's enough for me.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

tacvek

Postby tacvek » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:54 am UTC

phi_kappa wrote:
thanksbastards wrote:And then there was also the one with the strange guy who wanted to be a pirate. Quite funny, actually. But i'd bet nobody remembers that one...
Hooray for retro gaming.

You mean Secret of Monkey Island? That game is well remembered, and was just re-released with with new art (in addition to the choice of the original art) in June of this year.

buckett

Postby buckett » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

and now i'm in the processs of installing an apple II emulator... just so i can play this game, thanks for the idea!!

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

Oregon Trail II was the first game I ever tried to pirate accidentally destroyed (yeah, thats it, accidentally destroyed). Fortunately I was never dumb enough to pirate accidentally destroy another game at the middle school library, but the librarian remained mad at me about the brand new copy of Oregon Trail II being destroyed despite my claim of "it just stopped working!" Wikipedia insists that the 1985 version was just called "Oregon", but the librarians had labeled the floppy disk "Oregon Trail II".

It took me awhile to get the reference, having not played it since 1985 (didn't have a home computer until 1986, and the only local copy was essentially a blank 5-1/4 inch 128K floppy disk...).

Alternate history timeline based on the invented events of a video game. Interesting concept, though I must admit to Googling the Oregon Territory and briefly thinking "Aha! A giant government coverup of the origins of Oregon!"

Never attribute to conspiracy theory what could simply be attributed to you not getting a joke.

darmok32x

Postby darmok32x » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

I was pretty excited to see that the comic was titled "Oregon".

"A comic about my state! Hooray! Surely Randall will have something clever to say aside from the same reference to some old game that 90% of the country/world will bring up when you tell them you're from Oregon!"

I played the game, loved it, it was cool. But really, this whole thing is getting old. Oregon is a pretty awesome state. Yes, Oregon, the one from the game. Damn it.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

I've never played the game, but I assume it is like any other adolescent fantasy game in that it involves guns and shooting thing. Or robots. Or pirates and/or ninjas. Or girls playing volley ball in swim suits.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

odog1999 wrote:My school gaming progression was
Oregon Trail/Number Munchers/Odell Lake on the Apple ][ in 2nd/3rd grade...

Thank goodness that Apple made sure their products (we played on Apple //e) got into every elementary school in the country, else I wouldn't be the man I am today.

Spoiler:
A penniless banker from the east with a broken wagon, a most of my party dead, but about 3000 pounds of buffalo meat, fjording down the river!
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

Rorgg

Postby Rorgg » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Oregon Trail's available for the iPhone.

Joy!

Ringcaat

Postby Ringcaat » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:05 am UTC

How sad is it that I didn't realize the timeline was fictional until I got to the end of it? That's how insecure I am in my knowledge of history. Add in the facts that I played Oregon Trail in school and that I've been to an actual Oregon historical museum. Ugh. :}

I think it's a good concept for a cartoon. I should add that as a kid I was inspired by the Oregon Trail journey model and invented a game similar to it, except piloting a spaceship from planet to planet. And a friend of mine ran with the concept and developed a more advanced version that was probably more fun.

Oh, and I played Scorched Earth in college! Last April, in fact, I doctored the text files for the talking tanks in Scorched Earth to contain clues for a hotel convention's treasure hunt. :))

chrth

Postby chrth » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

atimholt wrote:You see, the juxtaposition of a winning strategy (taking a cartload of nothing but bullets) layered overtop actual history (imagine if all 500,000 imaginary settlers did this, and if the majority were adolescents and children)...
...In short, the events recounted never happened, the game was technically innaccurate and imbalanced, and this comic extrapolates what history would have been like had it matched what the game claims.

Yeah, I'm surprised how many people in the thread didn't actually get this. The game referenced in the mouseover text isn't Oregon Trail.

Although one has to wonder how the abandonment of Oregon sped up technological evolution that allowed us to have PC games in the 50s :shock:

EDIT: I too enjoyed the original Adventure, Scorched Earth, and any other old PC/II games mentioned

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Rorgg wrote:Oregon Trail's available for the iPhone.

Joy!

It would be almost worth it to buy one just for that.
PRG

An important message for you:

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 am UTC

Ringcaat wrote:How sad is it that I didn't realize the timeline was fictional until I got to the end of it?

Not necessarily that bad. There were a couple of "wait, what?" moments in it for me (only ammunition?) but since I know very little either about the actual settlement of Oregon or the Orgeon Trail videogame, there was nothing really all that obvious. (I live on an oppositish part of the earth and was born in 1973 - we had one of the many micro-niche Z80 based computers c.1981, with 128x64 "hi-res" graphics mode and choice of (i) games published by the manufacturer, (ii) games we wrote ourselves (mostly text based and not very good), or (iii) laborious typed-in BASIC listings which we would modify on the fly to match the specific variant of BASIC our machine used (usually also not very good) - and transitioned from that directly to a 386 clone, skipping the whole semi-generic Apple ][ type altogether. I never heard of the Oregon Trail game until I heard references to it on the Internet.)

Add in the facts that I played Oregon Trail in school and that I've been to an actual Oregon historical museum. Ugh. :}

Ah. OK, in that case it's pretty sad :)

Oh, and I played Scorched Earth in college! Last April, in fact, I doctored the text files for the talking tanks in Scorched Earth to contain clues for a hotel convention's treasure hunt. :))

Hooray for Scorched Earth! That was always fun, especially when you cranked up the explosion level and tried to get rid of everyone else with a Death's Head on the opening shot of a round :twisted:

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:57 am UTC

Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Apteryx

Postby Apteryx » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:24 am UTC

I am not an American, and though I am old enough to have been around while this game was "new and exciting", I just never saw or heard of it.

So, going through the archives, this comic made me scratch my head. Hmm. America is after all a big big place, and they did do silly things with guns for many many years, but you would think one would have heard about such a disaster . . . still, such a big country.

Hmm, I don't see why this is funny, some joke you need to know about Oregons real history to get?.

I went looking for information about Oregon's history. Not that much available about it around here, actually, so I googled various key words from the comic.
:oops:
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.
John Adams

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”