0625: "Collections"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zenexer

0625: "Collections"

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Title text: "You know what really helps an existential crisis? Wondering how much shelf space to leave for a Terry Pratchett collection."
Link: http://xkcd.com/625/
For anyone who has no idea what Discworld is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

Edit: Ha, first thread! :twisted:
Last edited by Zenexer on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

scwizard

"Collections" discussion

Postby scwizard » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Duplicated thread. Mergening!

Witty comment:
Big fan of Pratchett. Have every discworld book.
Last edited by Felstaff on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Red text never lies.
~= scwizard =~

suso

Re: "Collections" discussion

Postby suso » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Comment Magnet. Assholes of the world, please waist time analysing this stoopid comment so that we can keep you away from other places on the internet. Thank you.
Imagine theres no signatures....

Zenexer

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:02 am UTC

This was not the first thread. No duplicates. :P

In response to the post below, yes, it did. You read wrong. :P
Last edited by Zenexer on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:02 am UTC

suso wrote:Comment Magnet. Assholes of the world, please waist time analysing this stoopid comment so that we can keep you away from other places on the internet. Thank you.

I'm confused. What are you trying to say here?
~= scwizard =~

Zenexer

Re: "Collections" Discussion

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Am I the only one that does this with every single PC related magazine?
Last edited by Zenexer on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 am UTC

This thread is the winner, the other one doesn't have the thread title right (no "discussion"), and is missing analysis, or at least was when this one went up.

Also, am I weird for having never read the Discworld books? I'm starting to wonder if this is some bit of nerd culture I need to experience, like Firefly or something along those lines.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

suso

Postby suso » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 am UTC

scwizard wrote:
suso wrote:Comment Magnet. Assholes of the world, please waist time analysing this stoopid comment so that we can keep you away from other places on the internet. Thank you.

I'm confused. What are you trying to say here?

http://xkcdsucks.blogspot.com/2009/05/c ... -suck.html
Imagine theres no signatures....

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Yay for OPer.

I feel an urge to clip out the bleak portion of the last frame and put it on a badge... then wear the badge to work until someone calls security or a psychiatric task force.

wear_to_work_day.png
wear_to_work_day.png (14.31 KiB) Viewed 10957 times
Last edited by poxic on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

From growing up in a world of polarised, self-serving world leaders ready to risk international conflict, through the dawning of hope at the end of the cold war and now, erm... Anyway, smart phones are pretty cool!
- Jumble

Zenexer

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:05 am UTC

poxic wrote:Yay for OPer.

I feel an urge to clip out the bleak portion of the last frame and put it on a badge... then wear the badge to work until someone calls security or a psychiatric task force.

And put it right next to a Matrix quote. The ending of that movie (the third) still bugs me.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 am UTC

The...DRM means I'll probably lose them? We may be edging just a bit into the realm of paranoia there...

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 am UTC

J the Ninja wrote:Also, am I weird for having never read the Discworld books? I'm starting to wonder if this is some bit of nerd culture I need to experience, like Firefly or something along those lines.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't read Discworld, haven't seen Firefly. Shamefully, I was not able to finish the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Milna

Postby Milna » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 am UTC

I'm going to reply here in the hope that it'll catch on. Since this post looks like it was first.

I have a stack of edge magazines that i started collecting in January 2005. I insist on keeping them all despite knowing that I'll never read any of them.

Weird

Zenexer

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:07 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:The...DRM means I'll probably lose them? We may be edging just a bit into the realm of paranoia there...

Am I missing something? How can books be DRM-protected? Hard copies, that is.

Perhaps it would help if I knew what Discworld was...

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:
J the Ninja wrote:Also, am I weird for having never read the Discworld books? I'm starting to wonder if this is some bit of nerd culture I need to experience, like Firefly or something along those lines.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't read Discworld, haven't seen Firefly. Shamefully, I was not able to finish the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

I did finally see Firefly last year. I can't believe I waited that long.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 am UTC

I'm kind of confused about the rules of this comic thread creation game.

Do you need to actually read the comic and add a comment about it in the OP? I skimmed the comic and added something, and thus my topic was a few seconds later than that other guy's.

If that isn't a requirement in thread making though, my brother is planning on going and writing a script to make comics threads immediately, so that silly disputes about who had the first thread will disappear. He'll probably make a script even if it is a requirement, and procedurally generate witty comments :P
~= scwizard =~

Zenexer

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:11 am UTC

poxic wrote:
wear_to_work_day.png

Where's my Matrix quote? :P

ugarten

Postby ugarten » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:12 am UTC

To answer the question in the mouseover text: a little less than 4 ft of shelf space.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Zenexer wrote:Where's my Matrix quote? :P

Feel free to 'shop it in. :P
TEAM SHIVAHN

From growing up in a world of polarised, self-serving world leaders ready to risk international conflict, through the dawning of hope at the end of the cold war and now, erm... Anyway, smart phones are pretty cool!
- Jumble

Zenexer

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:13 am UTC

I'm kind of confused about the rules of this comic thread creation game.

Do you need to actually read the comic and add a comment about it in the OP? I skimmed the comic and added something, and thus my topic was a few seconds later than that other guy's.

If that isn't a requirement in thread making though, my brother is planning on going and writing a script to make comics threads immediately, so that silly disputes about who had the first thread will disappear. He'll probably make a script even if it is a requirement, and procedurally generate witty comments :P

Scripts = bad ethics. That's cheating. ;)

I don't know about anyone else, but I read the comic before starting the thread. It was the first thread by a good 30 seconds, too; so at least we know it's doable.

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Read as "You know, sometimes I mistake this fora universe that cares." Awww...

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:15 am UTC

It's OK. I have a Super Soaker.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:16 am UTC

scwizard wrote:I'm kind of confused about the rules of this comic thread creation game.

Yes, you need to embed the comic image, post the permanent link, include the alt text, and then start the thread off with some commentary of your own. And the title must be "'comic name' discussion". Tonight the first thread up was formatted wrong initially, then the other one went up before it got fixed.....so.....w/e. Supposedly it isn't a game anyhow.
(he/him/his)

Zenexer

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:18 am UTC

J the Ninja wrote:
scwizard wrote:I'm kind of confused about the rules of this comic thread creation game.

Yes, you need to embed the comic image, post the permanent link, include the alt text, and then start the thread off with some commentary of your own. And the title must be "'comic name' discussion". Tonight the first thread up was formatted wrong initially, then the other one went up before it got fixed.....so.....w/e. Supposedly it isn't a game anyhow.

Nah, I fixed the title before the other one went up, actually. Shouldn't this discussion be in the actual rules thread, though, for reference purposes?

And no, it's not really a game, but whoever wins earns ultimate geekdom. 8)

Edit: GIMP-ing a nice Matrix quote onto the badge now. I despise Photoshop (and Adobe in general, for that matter).
Last edited by Zenexer on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:21 am UTC

Zenexer wrote:Title text: "You know what really helps an existential crisis? Wondering how much shelf space to leave for a Terry Pratchett collection."
Yeah, that really helps. :cry:

Maybe another two inches?
Last edited by VectorZero on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

aurumelectrum13

Postby aurumelectrum13 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:23 am UTC

Zenexer wrote:
SocialSceneRepairman wrote:The...DRM means I'll probably lose them? We may be edging just a bit into the realm of paranoia there...

The Discworld is a collection of fantasy/satire books by Terry Pratchett. Knowing this si not essential for the joke; you could substitute any large series/author of said without changing anything.

The DRM, however, is because the books are digital. On the Kindle.

Zenexer

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:27 am UTC

aurumelectrum13 wrote:
Zenexer wrote:

The Discworld is a collection of fantasy/satire books by Terry Pratchett. Knowing this si not essential for the joke; you could substitute any large series/author of said without changing anything.

The DRM, however, is because the books are digital. On the Kindle.

Oh, right, the Kindle. I thought she was calling it kindling for a fire. :oops:

Lasher

Postby Lasher » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:29 am UTC

Sometimes I have the same confusion, but then I remember comic 137:
FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

Moz

Postby Moz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:30 am UTC

I just picked up The Light Fantastic from the local library a few days ago since I couldn't find The Colour of Magic. I'm new to the series, so I'm probably missing a lot, but hopefully not too much. :oops:

Orca

Postby Orca » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:31 am UTC

This reminds me that today I need to go buy those last two discworld books.

@ Moz You don't need to read them in order. At all. ever. Just pick up whichever are available.
Last edited by Orca on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Show me a universe that cares, and I'll slap you in the face for thinking that a bunch of mostly combustion cells can carry an emotion.

Also HI JOEE!

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:37 am UTC

poxic wrote:I feel an urge to clip out the bleak portion of the last frame and put it on a badge... then wear the badge to work until someone calls security or a psychiatric task force.

wear_to_work_day.png

Haha, awesome. That last frame stands alone really well.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:44 am UTC

Orca wrote:@ Moz You don't need to read them in order. At all. ever. Just pick up whichever are available.
Strictly true (the best kind!) but reading the subseries (Death, The Watch, Rincewind, Witches, et cetera) in order leads to better character development and there're not a few in-jokes scattered throughout.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Permagreen

Postby Permagreen » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 am UTC

In response to the title text, if you factor in Pratchett's theory of L-Space, you probably wouldn't need a whole lot. It would depend on the size of your book collection as is, but if you had a healthy (or not-so healthy) amount of fantasy novels, some Dave Barry, maybe a couple of Mark Twain books, and at least one of Shakespeare's plays you likely wouldn't need any space for Discworld books as you could just extrapolate their contact from all those other books.

Zenexer

Postby Zenexer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 am UTC

I couldn't find a suitable Matrix quote, so I stuck The Oracle's head on there. Really, I should become an artist. This thing rocks, and you all know it. Ima sell it on eBay for $233.95 after removing one of the legs. (You all better get that reference. I actually had to think to make it. Not cool.)
Attachments
wear_to_work_day.png
Hai.
wear_to_work_day.png (28.64 KiB) Viewed 10652 times

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:58 am UTC

The circle makes it look like you guys are making fun of Family Circus.
Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares.
Last edited by cephalopod9 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

frostkiki

Postby frostkiki » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:00 am UTC

i don't think that amazon sells all the books on the kindle.
An amused "hmmm" always is fun when an angsty teen walks by

Hawb

Postby Hawb » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:01 am UTC

This one made me say "Awww" aloud. :(

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:05 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:The circle makes it look like you guys are making fun of Family Circus.

Awesome. :D

I meant the circle to be a button-badge-thing, and the colour was a bad guess at forum blue. I like the FC link, though (and I have several NFCs saved in a folder somwhere).
TEAM SHIVAHN

- Jumble

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:06 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:The circle makes it look like you guys are making fun of Family Circus.
Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares.

I SWEAR THAT IMAGE WASN"T THERE WHEN I POSTED :(
Attachments
mistake.PNG
mistake.PNG (132.74 KiB) Viewed 10565 times

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”