0625: "Collections"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DSDM

Re: "Collections" Discussion

Postby DSDM » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

Moz wrote:I just picked up The Light Fantastic from the local library a few days ago since I couldn't find The Colour of Magic. I'm new to the series, so I'm probably missing a lot, but hopefully not too much. :oops:

No, you should wait for The Color of Magic, since The Light Fantastic pretty much picks up where it left off. If it's not available, or you're too cheap to buy it, read one of the one-off books like Equal Rights, or at least one of the other character stories like Guards! Guards!

Scarblac

Postby Scarblac » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

Bnty wrote:
I'm starting to read his other books too, I'm on Good Omens right now.

So good! If you haven't read Neverwhere/American Gods/Anansi Boys, you should give those a shot too, especially Neverwhere. Obviously different than Pratchett since they're Gaiman books, but they're great.

In fact, to stay on the Gaiman / Pratchett combination, he should read Gaiman's American Gods combined with Pratchett's Small Gods.

odog1999

Postby odog1999 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

nirvana_grace wrote: (. . . dare I say it?

Dare! Dare! (sorry for the Blazing Saddles segue)

As for Discworld, I was introduced into the series with Thief of Time before going back to the start.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
In response to the title text, if you factor in Pratchett's theory of L-Space, you probably wouldn't need a whole lot. It would depend on the size of your book collection as is, but if you had a healthy (or not-so healthy) amount of fantasy novels, some Dave Barry, maybe a couple of Mark Twain books, and at least one of Shakespeare's plays you likely wouldn't need any space for Discworld books as you could just extrapolate their contact from all those other books.

I think you'd need quite a bit more. I'm pretty sure that Terry Pratchett says that the necessary amount of books required to actually make a sizable dent into L-Space is far more than can be kept in a single household. That being said, you'd need Hex or a similar magic computer in order to actually find out what the content of the books were, unless, of course, you had librarian training.

Yeah, I just recently finished reading the entire series.

Besides, even if you managed to form L-Space, Amazon would probably delete your copies of 1984 and Animal Farm and you'd be trapped there.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

Why is Randall hating on people who don't care about anything? I don't even really care, but people get quite defensive about those who don't care.

fealuinix

Postby fealuinix » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Mavrisa wrote:Can anyone recommend their favourites?

The Fifth Elephant is about the demarcation in my mind where every book thereafter is solid gold. Personal favorites are Thief of Time, Night Watch, Thud, and Small Gods. Small Gods and Thief of Time are, for the most part, stand alone books, but Night Watch and Thud are the last two of the Night Watch sub-series; You should probably read the sub-series in order. A decent guide can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

My favorite Discworld books have always been the City Watch stories. Vimes is an awesome character. Really all the different series revolving around a specific cast are good. I'm on my third read-through, and while I never particularly look forward to the witch books, I always find them enjoyable. I'm less a fan of some of the one-shot stories, with characters you never see again, like Equal Rites and Pyramids. It was interesting reading them a second time. The first few books in the series were a little hard to get through again for me, they seemed less polished than the later books where Pratchett really had his stride. But still, I'm impressed that he was able to nail the rules of that world down so quickly and build a series with very little retconning.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

fealuinix wrote:

The Fifth Elephant is about the demarcation in my mind where every book thereafter is solid gold. Personal favorites are Thief of Time, Night Watch, Thud, and Small Gods. Small Gods and Thief of Time are, for the most part, stand alone books, but Night Watch and Thud are the last two of the Night Watch sub-series; You should probably read the sub-series in order. A decent guide can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld.

Thief of Time is really part of the Susan/Death series. And it also somewhat connects with Night Watch, as it's the cataclysmic time event from Thief of Time that sets up Vimes' trouble in Night Watch, also the time monks.

DarthDaver

Re: "Collections" discussion

Postby DarthDaver » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

Omegaton wrote:
J the Ninja wrote:Also, am I weird for having never read the Discworld books? I'm starting to wonder if this is some bit of nerd culture I need to experience, like Firefly or something along those lines.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't read Discworld, haven't seen Firefly. Shamefully, I was not able to finish the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

You missed out on one of the best fantasy series ever, on one of the best scifi series ever and on one of the funniest books ever. (oh wait, you read the first one, than didn't finish the series... than no problem there...)

Anyway if anyone wants a glimpse into Terry Pratchett, but doesn't want to start with the huge Discworld series, I recommend Good Omens (with Neil Gaiman). Probably the second funniest book ever written.

And squeeeee! I too have all the discworld books!!!

Edit: Oh wait. I read the whole thread. Others said Good omens too... :) And I agree that from Fifth Elephat on every book is perfect. I practically love every book in the series except most of the witches and the early Death ones...
Geeky webcomic drawn by my girlfriend, check it out!!!

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

J the Ninja wrote:Yes, you need to embed the comic image, post the permanent link, include the alt text, and then start the thread off with some commentary of your own. And the title must be "'comic name' discussion". Tonight the first thread up was formatted wrong initially, then the other one went up before it got fixed.....so.....w/e. Supposedly it isn't a game anyhow.

Would SOMEONE please just write a freaking perl script to do this faster than any human could do it? I'm so freaking tired of the pissing war that lasts for pages about who was FRIST PIST <sic>.

While you at it, you may want to have the script delete your post after checking for a dup. Oh, and create two accounts so yours can be the first commented on too... you can even have two bots doing this with one that comments on the other's post saying "damn, you beat me to it."

And now for a DARE.... I DARE EVERYONE TO NOT POST A THREAD ON FRIDAY FOR ONE WHOLE HOUR AFTER THE COMIC HAS BEEN POSTED.
Will paypal $20 and my dignity if this works.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Pietro

Postby Pietro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

Have to agree with SirMustapha and Ithaca. This comic is almost as bad as "Haiku Proof". And, as has been increasingly the case, discussion just turns into a pissing contest to see who wins at the topic in the comic. (In this case, who has the most Pratchett books.) Then again, it's not as if the comic has given us a whole lot to talk about.

It has been sad to watch the downward spirals of both the comic and the forums. Used to be that there were funny, clever jokes on xkcd, and insightful, witty comments in these threads. Now it's mostly "nerd" references turned into trite humor, and here in the forums we see a lot more of the sort of buffoon who mistakes Wikipedia for an education, and cannot imagine that there is more than two screenfuls to say on any given topic.

Also agree with neoliminal. Keeping a watch on xkcd.com at midnight, probably with the "create topic" window already opened, just waiting to fill in the alt-text and make an invariably inane comment in 5 seconds, may be the single most pathetic activity I've ever seen a human engage in. This is worse than the guy in "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" keeping the Abba turd in a jar.

Maybe if Randall would go on sabbatical (like Gary Larson, of Far Side fame, once did), he will have time to develop better ideas, and the fanboys will regain some perspective?
I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected. (Dogbert)

Homncruse

Postby Homncruse » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

SoWhy wrote:Finally, a Terry Pratchett reference. Now I can die in peace ;-)

[random]

Not related at all to anything, but it's too early in the morning and my caffeine IV hasn't metabolized yet, but I read that as "now I can die in space", to which I thought that was a very strange comment indeed.

[/random]

there is no zero

Postby there is no zero » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

I want to see the Discworld Death in an XKCD comic.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

Women: Depressed.

My landlord is a pack rat and a record collector. He used to be a film reviewer, now he still is but he's retired so it's more occasional, but he still gets free DVDs of movies that haven't even come out yet. Anyway our entire downstairs apartment is his storage space. There's one room for his massive, always growing record collection. Seriously, we barely go a day without him getting a record delivered. The VHS's and DVDs are EVERYWHERE and there are also TONS of books, most of them really crappy detective novels. Including this one about a velociraptor...I kid you not. Instead of smoking cigarettes or drinking, he eats basil and that apparently gets a dinosaur's jollies off. Yes I read some of the book...come on velociraptor detective, I HAD TO!

Anyway, I see those records and such and think sometimes about he's never going to listen to them, and he's already well into his 60s. They're going to sit gathering dust until his offspring sell them all and use the money to buy Yale, have it moved closer to Harvard, and watch the ensuing riots.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Jirin

Postby Jirin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Contrarily I would say that calling the mundane pointless is a little narcissistic. You can't think mundane thrills are pointless without thinking you deserve to have cosmic importance.

botanydave

Postby botanydave » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

I still use paper format for most of my books... Upgrading formats and new technology does bother me... Should I switch to digital... ever?
Con: New technology may render library unreadable.
Pro: Saves acres of cubic space.
Con: Digital media would be rendered useless by EMP or prolonged power outage.
Pro: Tiny hardware allows ease of removing library from fire/flood/tornado zone.
Con: Can't readily relax with a device which both glows and makes that awful electricity noise.

Currently, my Discworld collection takes up about 4 feet.

++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.
Last edited by botanydave on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kleppner

Postby Kleppner » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:Show me a universe that cares, and I'll slap you in the face for thinking that a bunch of mostly combustion cells can carry an emotion.

Also HI JOEE!

I love you.

Sto Helit

Postby Sto Helit » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

My personal favourite has always been Jingo, followed closely by Night Watch and Thief of Time. Jingo is the most amazing book, even if it does get a little confusing towards the middle when the timeline splits.
Do not crush the flowers of wisdom with the hobnail boots of cynicism.
Bill Bailey

You look just like you!
Eric Idle

…And one of them turned to me and said, 'Oh my God! Eric Idle!'
Michael Palin

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

Jirin wrote:Contrarily I would say that calling the mundane pointless is a little narcissistic. You can't think mundane thrills are pointless without thinking you deserve to have cosmic importance.
Well you might also be a sky diving, mountain climbing, speelunking, thrill seeking agent for a secret organization who leads frequent safari's through dense jungle to ancient ruins.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

firinne

Postby firinne » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

D:

Is no one else reading the alt text as a comment on Pterry's health?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

botanydave wrote:I still use paper format for most of my books... Upgrading formats and new technology does bother me... Should I switch to digital... ever?

I know. The whole e-book thing is just strange to me. With other media it's different, because you never interact directly with the medium itself; there's always been a machine of some kind involved. But books are... well, BOOKS.

Plus what's up with the dedicated reader device? Why couldn't I just read them on, say, the computer I already own, or the laptop I need another excuse to buy? Even iTunes let you play the songs on your own computer without having to buy an iPod.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

firinne

Postby firinne » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
botanydave wrote:I still use paper format for most of my books... Upgrading formats and new technology does bother me... Should I switch to digital... ever?

I know. The whole e-book thing is just strange to me. With other media it's different, because you never interact directly with the medium itself; there's always been a machine of some kind involved. But books are... well, BOOKS.

Plus what's up with the dedicated reader device? Why couldn't I just read them on, say, the computer I already own, or the laptop I need another excuse to buy? Even iTunes let you play the songs on your own computer without having to buy an iPod.

This! My dad got me a Kindle for graduation, and I feel dead guilty because I'd never use it. Not in a deliberate way, just... I have no use for such a thing.

ubel

Postby ubel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

did anyone else get blackholed because of this comic? read the first panel and thought "hey, let me google discworld and learn some background knowledge before i read the punchline". 3 hours later after getting tvtroped... then again, i may never have enjoyed this page if not for this comic: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoYeah

:twisted:

edit: wow.. just finished the comic... could that character's name by any chance be Negative Nancy? existential crises suck, but then again if you think about it, they are just a way to pass the time.. could probably better spend that time baking a delicious pie and exploring the wonders of food-euphoria :)

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:
J the Ninja wrote:Yes, you need to embed the comic image, post the permanent link, include the alt text, and then start the thread off with some commentary of your own. And the title must be "'comic name' discussion". Tonight the first thread up was formatted wrong initially, then the other one went up before it got fixed.....so.....w/e. Supposedly it isn't a game anyhow.

Would SOMEONE please just write a freaking perl script to do this faster than any human could do it? I'm so freaking tired of the pissing war that lasts for pages about who was FRIST PIST <sic>.

While you at it, you may want to have the script delete your post after checking for a dup. Oh, and create two accounts so yours can be the first commented on too... you can even have two bots doing this with one that comments on the other's post saying "damn, you beat me to it."

And now for a DARE.... I DARE EVERYONE TO NOT POST A THREAD ON FRIDAY FOR ONE WHOLE HOUR AFTER THE COMIC HAS BEEN POSTED.

Thank you neoliminal.
I was thinking this very same thing as I was scrolling down page one looking for the discussion of the comic.
We might need a second comic thread. The standard "[name of comic] Discussion" and a new "[name of comic] Discussion Posting Discussion"
The first would be (get this) a discussion of the comic at hand.
The second one would be a discussion of who posted what where and when.
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Raptor Jesus wrote:I love it, if there is any stick person that could be me it would be that girl... if she was a guy because I have too many existential crises (And for all you grammar Nazis that is the correct plural form of crisis) :mrgreen:

Someone needs to make a facebook quiz for which xkcd person are you! Haha

Forgive me RJ... but didn't you say you were 15*?
How many existential crises could you have had? Maybe I'm out of touch with kids these days (being 32) but when I was 15 I wasn't having existential crises. :mrgreen:

*Recently in the Oregon Trail Discussion, I'm not being creepy, it just stuck out cause of how old that game was, and how you knew what it was...
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

Iridos

Postby Iridos » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:Would SOMEONE please just write a freaking perl script to do this faster than any human could do it? I'm so freaking tired of the pissing war that lasts for pages about who was FRIST PIST <sic>.

Well, can't do that - it's a way for SO many people to announce their immaturity to the general public... ("Hey, I don't have ANYTHING intelligent to say, but at least I STARTED THE THREAD- HOORAY AND DOODLES!!!!!!!!!![1]") how DARE you disappoint them.
Anyway, they will just find some other way to announce it which might be worse. I agree that it's quite tiresome

munroe wrote:Wondering how much shelf space to leave for a Terry Pratchett collection

Eh? Why would one wonder about such a thing - isn't it easy enough to look at the shelf to see how much it actually takes up on it?[2]

Also, I'd like to point out that it's not about collecting, but about reading the books.
There IS a difference! ;)

I.

[1] multiple exclamation marks, he continued, are a sure sign of a diseased mind
[2] this of course excludes silly stuff like cookbooks/maps and whatever fanware stupid marketing people came up wit

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

The worst part is what matters is the topic ID. If someone actually does it right is late by 5 seconds over someone who doesn't know how to hotlink an image or include the alt text, the older topic gets deleted, and then the first few posts of the topic are people yelling at the TC to actually make the topic correct.

Plus the whole FRIST! speed thing really cuts down on commentary. If people are in a rush to make topics the actual commentary on the comic is either non-existant or just a few words.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

firinne

Postby firinne » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

Iridos wrote:
munroe wrote:Wondering how much shelf space to leave for a Terry Pratchett collection

Eh? Why would one wonder about such a thing - isn't it easy enough to look at the shelf to see how much it actually takes up on it?

I read it as a gloomy comment on the fact that we don't know how much longer Pratchett will be able to keep writing...

LadyBelle

Postby LadyBelle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

I am shooting for first edition, hardback, UK printings of Terry Pratchett. Have a few so far and even some signed. Sadly the collection is probably worth more then the dump I live in.

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Moz wrote:I just picked up The Light Fantastic from the local library a few days ago since I couldn't find The Colour of Magic. I'm new to the series, so I'm probably missing a lot, but hopefully not too much. :oops:

If you find those two a bit off balance, try starting with Mort. He really found his style there. Then return to TCoM and TLF for reference, particularly about the origins of the Librarian and Rincewind, and some background on Ankh-Morpork. Another way to read them is to pick up the Witches series, or the Death series, then explore from there.

Aupajo

Postby Aupajo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

...wondering how much shelf space to leave for a Terry Pratchett collection.

The correct answer is: all of it.

Sunidesus

Postby Sunidesus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

Con: New technology may render library unreadable.
Pro: Saves acres of cubic space.
Con: Digital media would be rendered useless by EMP or prolonged power outage.
Pro: Tiny hardware allows ease of removing library from fire/flood/tornado zone.
Con: Can't readily relax with a device which both glows and makes that awful electricity noise.

As an ebook lover I kinda feel like I have to respond to this.

Before I got my reader (I have the Sony, not a Kindle) I had similar misgivings about the thing. I wasn't at all sure I'd like reading a book on it. A year and a half later... it is one of my favorite geek purchases ever. So...

Con #1: New technology - this is an issue, but not if you're willing to do a bit of extra work. Striping the DRM off anything you buy lets you keep it and convert it to any future format changes. It also prevents the whole "Amazon likes to take away books" issue.

Con #2: EMP/power outage - Yeah... that would be a problem. However, the battery life on my Sony is really amazing. I read a LOT (easily 2/3 books a week) and I generally only have to charge the thing every other week-ish.

Con #3: Glowing/Noise - Non-issue. E-ink devices (Sony Reader, Kindle, etc...) do not glow, they behave like paper. I can and have read at the beach in full sunlight without an issue, I read in bed with it, it feels like a book. They also don't make any noise.

I don't like reading books on a computer screen at all, but my Reader is something else entirely. It feels like a book, it acts like a book, it looks like a book. Except it remembers where I was when I fall asleep reading, it has all the books I'm reading at the moment in it and will remember where I am in each of them, it lets me use my hands to do something else instead of hold it open (like knit, or eat), it lets me carry around what would be huge bricks of books in a tiny little space. No worries about taking enough books on vacation.

Mindor

Postby Mindor » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Another example of xkcd coincidentally reflecting the lives of its readers. I read Night Watch today (slow day at work) and just finished reading it a few minutes before sitting down at the computer to take a look at xkcd.
I've just only been introduced to Terry Pratchett a couple weeks ago when my wife brought Thief of Time home from the library. I was like 'Discworld huh? I've heard of that'. One of the funniest books I've ever read.
I'm now up to three including Going Postal

Auz wrote:Isn't the alt text more a reference to the fact that Pratchett is dying and there are only a precious few more Discworld novels? That is how I took the alt text at least and it made a decent night into a sad one =(

Mine too. It will take me a while to make it through what has been written thus far, but learning something you enjoy will have/has more definite limits is always sad.
Also feel somewhat cheated, as somewhere else in the multiverse, there's a perfectly healthy Terry Pratchett that will undoubtedly write more books than ours.

St_Fred wrote:

I read TLF first and, other than being wtf at the beginning, don't feel it spoiled me in anyway... I have since read all of them, plus every other book Terry has written except for Where's my Cow? and Science of the Discworld III. Also, I would love to make my collection complete with a Rhianna Pratchett, but they are hard to come by.

[creepy moment]
preacher-"You may kiss the bride."
you-"YES! Collection complete!"
her-"huh?"
you-"oops, did I say that out loud?"
[/creepy moment]
On a not too related note. Just so happens we've named our first daughter Rhianna, beautiful name. I like the man just a little bit more now.
You get the 'Best Newbie (Nearly) Ever" Award. -Az
Yay me.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:43 am UTC

umop ap!sdn wrote:Forgive me RJ... but didn't you say you were 15*?
How many existential crises could you have had? Maybe I'm out of touch with kids these days (being 32) but when I was 15 I wasn't having existential crises. :mrgreen:

You are thinking inductive. Most people won't recall having existential crises before 15. That doesn't mean no one does. Specially in a geek forum.

I had my first when I was 4. Something I saw on TV about the Vietnam War. When I was 15 I was feeling vertigo near anywhere I might jump from... my survival instincts kicking in to prevent me. As they kept doing for the last 20 years.
Chaos Reigns!

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:25 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:The whole e-book thing is just strange to me. With other media it's different, because you never interact directly with the medium itself; there's always been a machine of some kind involved. But books are... well, BOOKS.

Which are also just devices you interact with to experience the story, except they're made of paper and ink and cloth instead of plastic and electronics. There's nothing magical about a stack of papers that makes it the most worthy way to experience a story.

keithc

Postby keithc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:27 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:And now for a DARE.... I DARE EVERYONE TO NOT POST A THREAD ON FRIDAY FOR ONE WHOLE HOUR AFTER THE COMIC HAS BEEN POSTED.

Maybe I'm just too old, but I've never seen the point in the whole pissing contest of "I posted first, naa-naa na naa-naa".

pachinkoid

Postby pachinkoid » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:09 pm UTC

funny joke. check.

philosophical point made. check.

mouse-over poignant. check.

awesomest. cartoon .evar.

randall, can i join the queue to have your babies, please?

Tenth Speed Writer

Postby Tenth Speed Writer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Randy's got it again!

<TraditionalesquexkcdFTW>
Civil Engineering Major, University of Alabama.
"Yessir, I reckon 'em 'ere cent'rl s'port beams'll hol' up a'right..."

Mallet über alles!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

pachinkoid wrote:funny joke. check.

philosophical point made. check.

mouse-over poignant. check.

awesomest. cartoon .evar.

randall, can i join the queue to have your babies, please?

You'll have to buy me a new stock of barf bags.

Really, just... ...

... argh.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

I liked this comic. Not because it was funny, but because it was informative.

Last week, I was trying to explain to a Liberal Arts major why she should care about copyright reform. DRM aside, I was under the assumption that Arts Majors would be the ones MOST concerned about copyright. She complained that I was "talking over (her) head" and that I may as well be speaking a foreign language. Apparently, they don't really study copyright in any depth at all. I have since wondered if Business or Law students are more likely to study copyright.

From that conversation, I came to the conclusion that it is pointless to try to explain the evils of DRM to the average person. They will either conclude that there is something they don't understand, or that you are exaggerating. It would be easier to convince people that the government is covering up alien landings or that we still haven't visited the moon!

I decided to go to the source: the 1996 WIPO treaty. Article 11 is as close as you are going to get to a "plain english" explanation of how DRM works. Then, I saw the comic. The liberal arts major may genuinely not care!

Comics don't always have to be funny. They can sometimes have a serious point.

Edit: It's funny 'cause it's true!
Did you get the number on that truck?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”