0626: "Newton and Leibniz"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Old Wolf

Re: "Newton and Leibniz" Discussion

Postby The Old Wolf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:41 am UTC

Integral zee squared dee zee
From one to the cube root of three
Times the cosine
Of three Pi over nine
Equals log of the cube root of "e".

Even linguists can enjoy calculus - we don't even have to understand it! Calculus, bless it's incomprehensible heart, is what killed my pre-med ambitions and drove me to a successful career with languages. And I loved today's strip...
"The greatest insanity is surely to see the world only as it is, and not as it might be."
-Miguel de Cervantes

westrim

Postby westrim » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:41 am UTC

This is the way everyone should start off their day. "Honey, I'm going 'glasses' to work. 'Runs out the door screaming' YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH."

Also, what's with all the people that don't get this? Aside from being literally the most watched show in the world (seriously, its the 00s Baywatch), the glasses thing has been memetastic for years. Those who didn't get it after RogueA posted just fail hard.

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:43 am UTC

iain_benson wrote:Okay, I get the calculus / derivative pun, and from reading the comments the sunglasses are related to a CSI Miami (never watched it) meme, but I don't get the title text ....

The first word of the theme song of CSI: Miami is "yeah". The main character always does a silly one-liner, puts on his sun-glasses, and then the theme song starts.

Solo

Postby Solo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:49 am UTC

Eversist wrote:Honestly, I feel sorry for the poor guy. His "fans" are ripping him a new one constantly it seems. You guys hold him up on this pedestal, and if he doesn't meet your expectations, then you feel personally wronged. And that's just ridiculous.

Webcomics are serious business.

The Old Wolf

Postby The Old Wolf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:53 am UTC

westrim wrote:Also, what's with all the people that don't get this? <snip> Those who didn't get it after RogueA posted just fail hard.

How about those of us that don't own a hypnogourd? I've never seen the show in question. Or any other show in the last 15 years, for that matter.
"In my day, television was called books".

As for the "fans" of XKCD ragging on the artist, Pastis handled this quite recently.

"The greatest insanity is surely to see the world only as it is, and not as it might be."
-Miguel de Cervantes

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:54 am UTC

Someursault wrote:This isn't Randall's fault and I like his comic, but I'm sure what I'm saying isn't new to anyone here. You know, you like something and then you meet some people who go "Oh, we love that too!" and they excitedly include you in their little clique, except then you realize they're a bunch of smug pricks who fancy themselves philosophers, and soon you're smiling politely at them but wishing they'd leave you alone and to make matters worse now you have to re-evaluate that thing you liked to begin with to make sure you're not those people? Yeah.

I hate to tell you, but you are those people.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Solo

Postby Solo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:06 am UTC

When you zing at the abyss, the abyss zings also at you.

JulienW

Postby JulienW » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:24 am UTC

Maybe I'm too nerdy, but when I read "derivative", I thought "GPL"...

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:29 am UTC

All I have to say about this one is

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:34 am UTC

derivator wrote:
Zorlin wrote:
skine wrote:
Solo wrote:
Shale wrote:
Zero51423 wrote:That's terrible. I feel like somebody just stabbed me in the kidneys because of how terrible that pun was.

That's pretty much what I came here to say, and copying someone else's comment certainly fits with the spirit of the comic.

One might even go so far as to say that it is integral to the plot.
Sorry, I think you're going off on a tangent.
It looks like we have a... dilemma to solve.

I don't think you need to italicize the pun for people to comprehend it. (No pun intended)
Fix'd.

EDIT: Oh, and the comic was the first one in a few weeks to literally spatter me with burning cheese. Kinda hurt. Even though I didn't get the CSI reference.
Last edited by Psycho Goose on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:39 am UTC

With respect to all those calculus puns, you do realise they are going to converge absolutely on a single pun at the critical point. You degenerates need to end behaviour like this. I'm going to call simpson's rule on this one.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:43 am UTC

You can't make us stop. It's not like there's a limit to this sort of thing.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

thetimman

Postby thetimman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:52 am UTC

I rather liked that Newton apparently spent eight years standing there with his paper.

Would he have stood there forever if Leibniz hadn't also spoken?

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:17 am UTC

Good comic good comic.

I don't understand why we have an smiley that is automatically censored into :lol:

maycelestia

Postby maycelestia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:19 am UTC

This is exactly the kind of cringe-inducing yet funny pun that science teachers at school love to use. :)

thetimman wrote:I rather liked that Newton apparently spent eight years standing there with his paper.

It was all worth it to deliver the witty one-liner.

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:28 am UTC

I got the "derivative" pun and laughed mightily at it, but at first I wondered why Newton was putting on Rick Astley's sunglasses.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:55 am UTC

YES, I haven't actually burst out laughing at an XKCD for ages. Huzzah.

Also, good job on all the calculus puns. Had me...in stitches
I tried to find a pun to fit that, but I can't do it.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

LTK

Postby LTK » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:36 am UTC

See, this is the reason I visit xkcd every other day. :D

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:01 am UTC

Oh boy am I tired. Too tired to be allowed to read puns. The comic took me about 10 minutes to get, because I somehow kept reading the second date as being earlier than the first. I knew what the joke was supposed to be, and I knew Newton should be first, but my mind just wasn't connecting the dots. The very obvious, plainly correct and not wrong, right in front of my face dots.

Now that I get it, it's funny, but damn do I feel like an idiot.
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:28 am UTC

This is possibly the first comic that hasn't had a duplicate thread posted in quite a while.

Which, for the first time, is quite annoying as I was planning to integrate the two.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:38 am UTC

Comics like this continuously function to find what happens when the limit of punnery approaches infinity. >_>

(That said, I remember a high school calculus class where the teacher spent several minutes on how Newton was first to develop calculus, but Leibniz did far more to make it the calculus known today.)
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Vonriel

Postby Vonriel » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:45 am UTC

So, for the elitists among us, have you ever thought about it this way: unless the reader's field of study includes higher mathematics (calculus is used by less than 10% of the employed workforce¹) or you're a student currently studying one of those fields, the reader is likely not going to get this joke. Consider for a moment that most people probably forgot what a derivative was not two years out of college, happily free of calculus for the rest of their lives, and you've whittled away the vast majority of adults ages 25+ (barring xkcd readers; we all know you have ballpits in your basements) who can understand the joke. On top of that, almost everyone under the age of 16 will not be taking calculus yet, meaning they won't be able to get the joke.

So we're left with a rather narrow margin of people who could understand the joke, a fraction of the populous' 16-24 year old members. Given an average lifespan of 75 (rounding to 72 for ease of use) you're looking at less than 5% of the entire population¹ who can understand the joke without having to look it up. How can you not feel smug that anyone who is capable of understanding the joke understood it?

¹These numbers were pulled out of my ass, and may be appropriately associated for the real numbers by anyone who has done the real research into the numbers. They sounded right, but what sounds right and what is right seem to often disagree for me. Enjoy attempting to prove yourselves smarter than I am, however. Bravo.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:52 am UTC

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL!

I've been spending all week watching CSI:Miami and digging up those 4-panels on the interzap.

Edit:

Vonriel wrote:you're looking at less than 5% of the entire population

Most of xkcd is either fairly niche humor, in-jokes, or referencing something obscure that many would need to look up. It's a big part of what makes xkcd (or any community centered around something in this fashion) what it is. It's group mentality, albeit it a minority group.

That being said, it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to look up the reference, and if it's still not funny, there's always next week. :D
Last edited by eviloatmeal on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

tiedyeina

Postby tiedyeina » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:55 am UTC

Vonriel wrote:Here's some numbers I made up

But you've forgetting, approximately 105% of the world's population has seen CSI Miami, and now believes that 17th century mathematicians were also slick crime-fighting masterminds rocking out to The Who. Even if we subtract your 5% of elitists who can enjoy the calculus joke and dismiss the pop-culture, it's still true that this is something everyone can enjoy.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:02 pm UTC

That was wry man, some might even say punny.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

pretzil

Postby pretzil » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

Personally I find it a bit suspicious that they both thought it should be called calculus

frederific

Postby frederific » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

My GOD that was AWFUL! Epic, but awful.

Awesome though.
Freddie

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

alitheiapsis wrote:The first word of the theme song of CSI: Miami is "yeah". The main character always does a silly one-liner, puts on his sun-glasses, and then the theme song starts.

Ah, right, The Who theme. Didn't get that joke until now because Miami is the one CSI I won't watch, thanks to Caruso. If I wanted to spend an hour staring at a plank of wood, I'd go stand in my shed...
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

bluon

Postby bluon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

Technically, I would say Newton and Leibniz "discovered" calculus rather than "invented" it. Mathematical concepts have always existed. We're just getting around to figuring them out.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

OUCH!! That was one of the worst best puns I've heard.

3rd degree burns from cheese.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

pensive bosom

Postby pensive bosom » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

It's possible that mathematical concepts are invented as well as discovered. Here's a view of what the field of mathematics is: working mathematicians study the consequences of rules governing axiomatic systems. They look at how, given such-and-such rules, such-and-such sets of notations can be manipulated. Since we have finite capacities and can't immediately grasp all the consequences of rules we hold or stipulate to be true, these consequences can seem to be discovered. But the axioms of the system are still stipulated. So, mathematical discovery is a case of discovering new facts about concepts or formal systems that we ourselves have invented.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

Vonriel wrote: On top of that, almost everyone under the age of 16 will not be taking calculus yet, meaning they won't be able to get the joke.

So we're left with a rather narrow margin of people who could understand the joke, a fraction of the populous' 16-24 year old members.

Statistically speaking, that makes me an outlier. I haven't studied calculus, as I'm 15, but I have an understanding of the terms "integrate" and "differentiate" so I got the joke.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

nirvana_grace

Postby nirvana_grace » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

Leibnitz v. Newton. I Hopital gets resolved, eventually.
Sure, there are always unintended consequences -- but I can't do nothin' about 'em.

Burn0ut07

Postby Burn0ut07 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

FCN wrote:Leibniz may have been the first to publish and the inventor of the terminology and notation that we use today, but Newton was fluent in calculus well beforehand.

Influence? flatulence? or flu? dammit

vrsikimg

Postby vrsikimg » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

Hilarious!

franksands

Postby franksands » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

Actually, AFAIK, It was Fermat who first discovered calculus. So both Newton and Leibniz have derivative works.

javahead

Postby javahead » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

RogueA wrote:Threw this together real quick from the Caruso Comic blank. Thought it was appropriate.

Thank you, RogueA, this made today's comic worthwhile. I'm relatively new here, so if this is what Randall was trying to evoke originally I apologize to him for missing it.

--Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile ©

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

Oh yeah, Newton? Well yo' mama so fat, her circumference is 3πr!

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:This is possibly the first comic that hasn't had a duplicate thread posted in quite a while.

Which, for the first time, is quite annoying as I was planning to integrate the two.

At least you are definitely constant in your level of modding.

And now, to diverge for a moment, Blokey: you win the rebound pun award. You get balloons.

Spoiler:
http://www.clusterballoon.org/index/index_01.jpg
Last edited by scikidus on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

bluon

Postby bluon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

pensive bosom wrote:It's possible that mathematical concepts are invented as well as discovered. Here's a view of what the field of mathematics is: working mathematicians study the consequences of rules governing axiomatic systems. They look at how, given such-and-such rules, such-and-such sets of notations can be manipulated. Since we have finite capacities and can't immediately grasp all the consequences of rules we hold or stipulate to be true, these consequences can seem to be discovered. But the axioms of the system are still stipulated. So, mathematical discovery is a case of discovering new facts about concepts or formal systems that we ourselves have invented.

I guess this gets into a pretty philosophical discussion. I did a quick Google search and it looks like the has been debated quite a bit. From the following article, "The Platonic notion is that mathematics is the imperturbable structure that underlies the very architecture of the universe. By following the internal logic of mathematics, a mathematician discovers timeless truths independent of human observation and free of the transient nature of physical reality." So Plato would say that mathematical truths have always been around and are an integral part of the universe. Other people would argue that math is really a product of human culture. And most people would probably say that this question doesn't really doesn't matter :)

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/31392/title/Still_debating_with_Plato

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”