0628: "Psychic"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BillNormal

Re: "Psychic" Discussion

Postby BillNormal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Thx everybody I learned something new today

rancidtuna

Postby rancidtuna » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

Also, if this doesn't work...you can always take this route...

You: "43?"

Her: "No. See?"

You: "Hm. Guess you're right." Pause. "You seem like a pretty smart girl, can I treat you to *insert locally approved date thing here*?"

Her: "Oh me yarm, YES!" *drool*

Works EVERY time.

firinne

Postby firinne » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

I want to do that now.

Not the thing where you try a random number and have a one percent chance of getting it -- I mean the thing where you accumulate data about likely numbers to pick.

Amarsir

Postby Amarsir » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

The way you ask a question can subtly push people toward a particular answer. Magicians call this a "mental force."

Derren Brown uses this very effectively, narrowing the subject down while making it seem like he's broadening the scope. I'm going by memory, but he says things like "In a moment I'm going to ask you to think of a card. Don't make it something easy that I might guess like the 2 of diamonds. And not a common choice like a face card, don't make it simple for me. If you're thinking of one already, forget that. Clear your mind and let one randomly come to you. Just form a small picture in your mind, then let it start to appear clearly with bright vivid colors. Picture the numbers in the corners and the pips down the middle. Do you have that image in your head?" (And he makes gestures to help.)

The idea is that he cuts off as "too easy" a big range of cards. Saying no to 2 of diamonds will for many people cut out both 2s and diamonds. Using the word "small" hints at a lower number. "Bright vivid colors" suggests a red card. "Pips down the middle" only really describes the 3. So the goal of instructions the way I typed them would be to "mentally force" a Three of Hearts.

Of course it certainly doesn't work every time and magicians have outs for that, but people are predictable and suggestable enough to make it a worthwhile technique.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:31 am UTC

Wow, I did a quick check to make sure that Denmark was the only D before posting before (and being ignorant of previous posts), and the way that Wikipedia's list of sovereign states is set up is confusing. Is.

a.sub

Postby a.sub » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:16 am UTC

i can one up you all
the first time i met the girl i ended up asking out (she said no :( ) i guessed her birthday down to the day and got it out of sheer luck :D
Spoiler:

Byrdman1324

Postby Byrdman1324 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:00 am UTC

A trick that was taught to me that works about 70% of the time. Is to have someone repeat the numbers "2" and "3" in random order for about a minute (almost like a binary code with 2's and 3's). Then ask them to choose a color and a tool, and have them write it down. People most likely choose "red" and "hammer".
I am exceptionally average, abnormally ordinary, and extremely standard.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:27 am UTC

This trick is insulting to real psychics. :cry:

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Ivora wrote:This trick is insulting to real psychics. :cry:

Real psychics? Sort of like real ghosts or real werewolves?

Real psychics like the almighty Ted?

http://www.tedisacomingofgodtoearth.org/

What objective data do you have to suggest that any such people exist?
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:24 am UTC

Namaps wrote:

What objective data do you have pouncing a guy for having believing things you find ridiculous?

(No, that didn't make sense. But my point still stands. Leave the man be.)

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:27 am UTC

LOL! Ted looks like my local janitor. :D

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:28 am UTC

ROFL! Can somebody please tell me how to treat cheese burns? :shock:

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:30 am UTC

When you type el-oh-el, capitalize the first "l"

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Aww! Thank you so much, Kurushimi! :D

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:44 am UTC

My friend Steve, whenever he has a pack of cards, always tells people to think of a card and then just instantly cuts the pack and holds it up. He says the one time it works, it will be incredible.

OCEAT

Postby OCEAT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:49 am UTC

I know I shouldn't reply to the Ted site, but the one thing that stuck out was how they compared the painting of Jesus to Ted. If it's not a photo of Jesus, you can't say Ted looks like him; in fact, I've heard that Jesus looked like any other Middle Eastern man, so the paintings of a caucasian savior aren't valid for comparisons.
So ha! I disproved Ted!
GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Say "ocean".
Look at my name.
Tee-hee.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:52 am UTC

Lol! OCEAT I wonder about that as well. :wink:

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:27 am UTC

Isn't it actually a .01% chance of this happening? Each number she can choose between 1 and 100 has a 1% chance of being picked, and then each number you can choose between 1 and 100 each also have a 1% chance of getting picked. So then in order for events A and B to be the same number, it would be P(A)*P(B), or .0001, or .01%
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:32 am UTC

Think of it this way, the chance that they both pick any single number is .01% as you said. (I.e., the chance that they both pick 1 is .01%. The chance they both pick 2 is .01%). Since there are 100 different numbers between 1 and 100, there are 100 different ways they could pick the same number 100 x .01% = 1%.

I actually thought the same way you did until this query was asked and answered twice in this thread.

Alzhaid

Postby Alzhaid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:54 am UTC

If I try this with my friends it could happen this:

Me: "think of a number"
He: "ok" (thinks of nothing)
Me: "43?"
He: "oooh yes!!! I'm amazed!" (thinks it's funny to make me believe I'm psychic)

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 am UTC

Again, all too true. Even (especially) the alt-text.

cj-maranup

Postby cj-maranup » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:20 am UTC

OK, can I just request that if anyone uses this successfully, they conclude the date by murdering the silly bitch? Accepting a ridiculous assertion like that on the basis of one piece of (mediocre) evidence indicates a lack of suitability for the continued consumption of oxygen...

/hyperbole. Randall's female characters aren't normally so retarded :(

rancidtuna

Postby rancidtuna » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 am UTC

H2SO4 wrote:Isn't it actually a .01% chance of this happening? Each number she can choose between 1 and 100 has a 1% chance of being picked, and then each number you can choose between 1 and 100 each also have a 1% chance of getting picked. So then in order for events A and B to be the same number, it would be P(A)*P(B), or .0001, or .01%

It isn't really a question of them both picking the same number...it's a question of them both picking her number. In which case she has a 100% chance to pick her number. Because no matter what number she picks...it's her number. So the real equation would be 1 x 0.01, resulting in a one percent chance. Even if she picks a number outside the number range, it's still her number. However, he would never be able to pick it, so the new equation would be 1 x 0, resulting in a zero percent chance. Devious bitch.

Side Note: If she went from picking a number outside the given range (with a zero percent chance of guessing her number correctly) to picking a number within the given range (with a one percent chance of guessing her number correctly), your chances of guessing her number correctly just increased by a factor of infinity. So technically, you should guess her number right every time in that scenario. :lol:

somdude04

Postby somdude04 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:12 am UTC

The whole guess a two-digit number, both digits odd, neither of them the same can be made MUCH easier to guess their number if you add the restriction that the number is between 20 and 90.

This leaves them with 35, 37, 39, 53, 57, 59, 73, 75 and 79.
People forget about ending it in 9 because it can't start with a 9, and most people choose digits in ascending order.. leaving you with 35, 37 and 57. Most choose 37.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

Kurushimi wrote:
Namaps wrote:

What objective data do you have pouncing a guy for having believing things you find ridiculous?

(No, that didn't make sense. But my point still stands. Leave the man be.)

He feels insulted by idea of the trick. I feel insulted by the implied assertion that we all believe there are "real psychics"

It's the same as if he made a comment about bigfoot or ghosts (I'm short on examples today). Sorry for being a bit of a douche (which I admittedly am) but this really rubs me the wrong way.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

bugmento

Postby bugmento » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

Zenexer wrote:Hey, if I date 100 girls, at least I'll get one of them. :P

SirJefferE wrote:I do this trick all the time, but with a deck of cards.

Give the deck to someone, get them to shuffle it up good, take it back, start pulling back the cards randomly and tell them to pick one, as soon as they pick a card, say "Ace of Spades" and pull it out.

It almost always fails, of course. And I say, "Yeah, but one in fifty two people I show that to think I'm amazing."

Agent Foxtrot wrote: :mrgreen:

2) You're assuming that he also randomly picks a different number each time. Sure, that further decreases his probability of success, but why wouldn't he just pick 43 every single time? Out of 100 girls, at least one of them is generally bound to pick 43 as well. Therefore, [imath]P=0.01[/imath].

Is/was probability math part of curriculum where you live? If so would you blame yourself or education system of the country for the poor results? 1% (or 1/52) success rate doesn't meant that if you do it 100 (52) times you get it right once. It just means: for every try, there is a 1% (1/52) chance of it working regardless of previous attempts. So what if one tried it 100 (52) times? Chances that it would have worked at least once would be 1-0.99^100 = 63.3% ( 1-(51/52)^52 = 63.6% ).

starabo

Postby starabo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

... I think your maths is all wrong it has to be 0.01%.....nah just kidding. Lets not open that one again.

This does remind me of a rather amusing drinking game I used to play; in fact it's about the only one that works well with 2 people. It goes thusly:

Me: Guess what number I'm thinking of between 0 and 9.
Them: 5?
Me: No, 3.
Them: *drinks penalty of 2 fingers*
Me: Guess again
Them: 8?
Me: No, 5.
Them: Arrgh *drinks penalty of 2 fingers*
Me: Again.
Them: 7? (or by this stage... schleven)
Me: Dammit, it is! *finishes drink as penalty*

Then you swap roles and the guesser becomes the thinker. It only works if you are truly honest with each other (it's obviously very easy to cheat - but then drinking games never are about winning), but can end up with some fantastic stats-busting runs. Also adds a bit of psychology as you try to outwit your adversary by thinking in patterns.... and then suddenly changing them.

I've got a smile just thinking about some of the times I've played this. Which reminds me, local beer festival this weekend. That's gonna kill a few braincells.

GET OUTTA MY DRINK RANDALL.

--
Starabo

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

starabo wrote:... I think your maths is all wrong it has to be 0.01%.....nah just kidding. Lets not open that one again.

This does remind me of a rather amusing drinking game I used to play; in fact it's about the only one that works well with 2 people. It goes thusly:

Me: Guess what number I'm thinking of between 0 and 9.
Them: 5?
Me: No, 3.
Them: *drinks penalty of 2 fingers*
Me: Guess again
Them: 8?
Me: No, 5.
Them: Arrgh *drinks penalty of 2 fingers*
Me: Again.
Them: 7? (or by this stage... schleven)
Me: Dammit, it is! *finishes drink as penalty*

Then you swap roles and the guesser becomes the thinker. It only works if you are truly honest with each other (it's obviously very easy to cheat - but then drinking games never are about winning), but can end up with some fantastic stats-busting runs. Also adds a bit of psychology as you try to outwit your adversary by thinking in patterns.... and then suddenly changing them.

I've got a smile just thinking about some of the times I've played this. Which reminds me, local beer festival this weekend. That's gonna kill a few braincells.

GET OUTTA MY DRINK RANDALL.

--
Starabo

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Ron Post?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

frog42

Postby frog42 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

rancidtuna wrote:Side Note: If she went from picking a number outside the given range (with a zero percent chance of guessing her number correctly) to picking a number within the given range (with a one percent chance of guessing her number correctly), your chances of guessing her number correctly just increased by a factor of infinity. So technically, you should guess her number right every time in that scenario. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

Your odds actually increased by more than a factor of infinity. Increasing zero by a factor of anything still results in zero. Your odds, in fact, increased by a startling 1%, which in this case is greater than increasing by a factor of infinity.

cjflora

Postby cjflora » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:32 pm UTC

Oh man, I wanted to do something like this so bad when I worked at McDonalds as a teen. I was in charge of updating the prompters out where the speaker were, and I wanted to make them say "Hello John, how are you today?". Yea sure, most of the customers would have just been confused, but every John that drove through would have been blown away.

kafkadog

Postby kafkadog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:
kafkadog wrote:
neoliminal wrote:Also, in Rock-Paper-Scissors, I always play Rock.

Or are you just saying that so you can actually play scissors to my paper?!

I don't know. Let's try... ready? Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shooooot:
Rock.

What do you know, I did play rock.

Damn.

Broklynite

Postby Broklynite » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

Ha ha ha! I used to do something like this back in school. I walked around loudly proclaiming myself to be psychic, and generally being an ass. Finally one girl stopped me and said "Oh yea? Read my mind then." I looked at her and made a look of intense concentration, waved my fingers in the air a few times and said (As if struggling to be Shatner) "You are thinking that....I'm an idiot...and that I can't read your mind."

Her jaw literally dropped. I've never actually seen anyone else ever do that in surprise but by god the look of sheer and utter astonishment on her face was lovely to behold. Everyone around us as laughing. After she recovered she demanded that I read her mind again and I protested, explaining that I had become psychically weakened from all the energies exerted and would be unable to do so again for the rest of the day. It only made her more pissed off and the people around us laugh all the harder.

I'll never forget that day.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

kafkadog wrote:Damn.

yeah. I get that a lot. I beat Richard Garfield at RPS. He was impressed, saying that few people can beat him.
[hint, scary!]

starabo

Postby starabo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:

Sorry, you'll have to help me out there ... The only 'Ron Posts' Google could find me were a man who makes knives in Ontairo, or a man who apparenlty is one of California's best boatman.

Judging my my 'tache in the photo (which indicentally was a result of charity fundraising, not a fashion choice - shame), I could qualify for either, but I reckon the Ron your getting at is a different fella.

BTW, a big 'tache definitely increases your psychic powers; all the good magicians had them... !

Starabo

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

starabo wrote:
neoliminal wrote:

Sorry, you'll have to help me out there ... The only 'Ron Posts' Google could find me were a man who makes knives in Ontairo, or a man who apparenlty is one of California's best boatman.

Judging my my 'tache in the photo (which indicentally was a result of charity fundraising, not a fashion choice - shame), I could qualify for either, but I reckon the Ron your getting at is a different fella.

BTW, a big 'tache definitely increases your psychic powers; all the good magicians had them... !

Starabo

THOSE ANNOYING POST BROS
[hint, scary!]

stupid_username

Postby stupid_username » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

This has the same principle as a card trick that I keep trying. You ask someone to pick a card and put it back. You shuffle the deck in a nonspecific fashion (or have them shuffle it) a ton of times and then throw the deck into the air and grab one card at random all David Copperfield-y. It hasn't worked yet, but it only needs to work ONCE.

errantx

Postby errantx » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

Sorry if this is already posted BUT dont use 1-100

Just use 1 to 10. It might sound less impressive but the upside is that you always use 7 as your answer - and the majority of the time you will get it right.

People are predictable and more often than not they will choose 7. I use this regularly in bars.

If you get it wrong there are loads of lead outs too. The best one is probably to blame them:

you: 7
them: haha no!
you: well you did it wrong then didnt you!

:) win.

stupid_username

Postby stupid_username » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Benfrenchman wrote:My friend Steve, whenever he has a pack of cards, always tells people to think of a card and then just instantly cuts the pack and holds it up. He says the one time it works, it will be incredible.

stupid_username wrote:This has the same principle as a card trick that I keep trying. You ask someone to pick a card and put it back. You shuffle the deck in a nonspecific fashion (or have them shuffle it) a ton of times and then throw the deck into the air and grab one card at random all David Copperfield-y. It hasn't worked yet, but it only needs to work ONCE.

I read this "hivemindish" post after I posted mine. The part that I like the most is that we both KNOW that one time in a million (give or take several hundred thousand) somebody is going to think we are in league with Satan.

there is no zero

Postby there is no zero » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Denmark is also devoid of red echidnas.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:54 am UTC

Broklynite wrote:(...) I looked at her and made a look of intense concentration, waved my fingers in the air a few times and said (As if struggling to be Shatner) "You are thinking that....I'm an idiot...and that I can't read your mind."

Her jaw literally dropped.(...)

I'll never forget that day.

Oh
my
God!
I really burned myself with cheese here. You sir, pwn3d.
Chaos Reigns!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”