0632: "Suspicion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

umop ap!sdn

Re: "Suspicion" Discussion

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

The comic was meh, the cheese was room temp, but I appreciated the humor.

Maybe it's still because of the lack of sleep thing (as previously stated in a earlier post) but for some reason as I was reading the comments about testing for bot-ness all I could think of was:
Robot #1: Administer the test.
Robot #2: Which of the following would you most prefer? A: a puppy, B: a pretty flower from your sweetie, or C: a large properly formatted data file?
Robot #1: Choose!
Fry: Uh, is the puppy mechanical in any way?
Robot #2: No, it is the bad kind of puppy.
Leela: Then we'll go with that data file!
Robot #2: Correct!
Robot #1: The flower would also have been acceptable.

It kinda made the comic funnier somehow.

*edit: Oooo... top of the page, mom!!! (again)
Last edited by umop ap!sdn on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

DarthMarth

Postby DarthMarth » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

I remember getting contacted on AIM once by someone who kept asking if I was really human...not a good way to introduce yourself.

Sarda

Postby Sarda » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:At least he didn't wind up with the spambot that got extra credit on the Turing test. That one would have identified the captcha AND somehow gotten him to screw it up.

You mean Bucket?
If P AND NOT P then the lotto numbers will be 4, 19, 23, 194, the fine structure constant, and Birmingham.

blkballoon925

Postby blkballoon925 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

I don't get it either. What has happened to you Mr. Monroe? This week has been a major disappointment.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:42 am UTC

This comic was fantastic :D

jakemaheu wrote:I wonder if he's referring to ELIZA -> LIZA -> LISA, the AI that posed as a therapist.

Most definitely.

Even AOL's AI bot was called Eliza (or was it Alice?) in the beta version. In the final version they renamed her :cry: . I kept pestering the new one for where Eliza had gone :evil: . They were funny, you could ask them for their hair color and they would tell you they had no hair, but some neat wires, or you could ask them who made them and they said something like "a very skilled development team" 8) .

lu6cifer wrote:I've actually heard that people are using CAPTCHAs to improve image recognition software

Kind of, they use them for having humans OCR for them. You know how on some websites you have to type in two words? They only have the solution for one of them - for the other one you provide the solution.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

andydrewy

Postby andydrewy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:29 am UTC

Test ID: 21871138

Wow, am I the first one to notice 1138, which I'm sure is a reference to THX 1138?

Not sure if 2187 has any significance. Google results turned up: RFC 2187 and http://mathworld.wolfram.com/2187.html.

LSN

Postby LSN » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:51 am UTC

My cheese was lightly toasted.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

I noticed the browser on the final frame is Chrome. Check the tabs.
Chaos Reigns!

Story

Postby Story » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

Two of the buttons are on the opposite side of the toolbar though.

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

On a side note, how would people using blindness-enabling software/hardware and/or those with mild dyslexia (and likely using those blindness-enabling software) handle conventional CAPTCHAs ? It would seem unfairly biased against them (then again, 99% of all software is visual-biased). I know there are some audio CAPTCHAs, but that wouldn't help with people who are deaf too... [EDIT] Apparently I need more sleep[/EDIT]
Last edited by Kyrn on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

andydrewy wrote:Test ID: 21871138

Wow, am I the first one to notice 1138, which I'm sure is a reference to THX 1138?

Not sure if 2187 has any significance. Google results turned up: RFC 2187 and http://mathworld.wolfram.com/2187.html.

Or you could be looking for meaning where there isn't any. That is the type of mistake a bot would make ;)

:idea: Most captcha's add noise since people (or most living things) are so good at filtering out "junk" data. Your mistake suggests a problem with that strategy: When presented with only noise, we see patterns anyway!
Did you get the number on that truck?

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

Lisa: But honey, it's time for me to be completely honest. I'm blind. Now can we order those amazon books on mp3? [link]
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

mrgoldenbrown

Postby mrgoldenbrown » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

This reminds me of the escape pod story http://escapepod.org/2009/03/09/escape- ... l-gabriel/

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Story wrote:Two of the buttons are on the opposite side of the toolbar though.

Damn! I've just been outgeeked.
Chaos Reigns!

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

Eikinkloster wrote:

I dunno. It looks like Firefox to me. The buttons are in the right place, and last time I saw Chrome (on my friend's computer, no Linux support. Damn you Google!) there was no window frame, with the title and minimize/restore/exit buttons.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

Max2009 wrote:
Eikinkloster wrote:

I dunno. It looks like Firefox to me. The buttons are in the right place, and last time I saw Chrome (on my friend's computer, no Linux support. Damn you Google!) there was no window frame, with the title and minimize/restore/exit buttons.

Actually, chromium-browser, which is essentially Chrome for Linux, has been out for a while now (albeit still in alpha/beta version).

And the browser's obviously Firefox with a chrome theme add-on.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Valcien

Postby Valcien » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

I think, new second favorite. Didn't see it coming, very amusing twist.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

lu6cifer wrote:And the browser's obviously Firefox with a chrome theme add-on.

Yep. Now that I look at it, only the shape of the tabs is Chrome. The control buttons on Chrome are under the tab, not over.
Your idea however has made me find the Chromifox Extreme plugin for Firefox, which actually puts the buttons under the tab, while keeping the window frame (which I kinda find cool, since Chrome seems to actually hide the frame on Windows: when the program freezes, the frame appears in all of it's ugliness... like it used to do when Safari tried to hide it - only that with Safari this breach of abstraction would be a lot more often).
Chaos Reigns!

ununium

Postby ununium » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:21 am UTC

Love this comic XD
I used to connect to a bbs that had an application called Lisa that chatted with you.
It fooled me the first time I tried it.. for about 30 seconds... yeah 30 seconds...

VelociraptorEvader

Postby VelociraptorEvader » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:41 am UTC

keithc wrote:
Piecewise wrote:I would love to see a Dr. Phil show dedicated to this genre of relationship disfunction.

I don't want to see a Dr. Phil show on anything

awesome call...
Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

wglass

Postby wglass » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Anyone else catch this "Flash" story on Escape Pod this Spring?

http://escapepod.org/2009/03/09/escape- ... l-gabriel/

“Becky.” Typed Rachel “I had to ban him. I’m sorry. He was a bot, a spider, a program. He wasn’t human.” Becky’s green words glowed on her screen almost immediately.

“He talked to me! Every day! What do you mean he wasn’t human?”

Rachel exhaled; this was going to be tough. “Didn’t you notice he kept trying to get you to buy games?”

“I like buying games! Who cares? I really liked Gabriel. You two were the only people on this forum I could talk to.”

Valcien

Postby Valcien » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

If if it was two spam bots, neither would know the other was lying about the words. THATS true love.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

Kyrn wrote:On a side note, how would people using blindness-enabling software/hardware handle conventional CAPTCHAs?

Evidently they ask sighted people for help. And don't seem to mind captchas for registering someplace, as this is not a very frequent occurrence, but captchas when adding new external links to wiki pages and the like really pisses them off. There is a German "blind wiki" by blind people discussing such matters and the usability of wikis for blind people in general where I read this ... but maybe it is not online anymore, I can't find it.

booyabazooka

Postby booyabazooka » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

Simon17 wrote:... so many "Xkcd" comics ... simply refer to something popular on the internet with no joke or punchline, which is not funny (regardless of what the people on here think).

I'm pretty sure that, since humorousness is subjective, your opinion is wrong :)

squig

Postby squig » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

Kyrn wrote:On a side note, how would people ... with mild dyslexia ... handle conventional CAPTCHAs ?

I have dyslexia and on a bad day I can't do CAPTCHAs at all, I have no idea what the letters are.

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:09 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:I enjoyed. Not without problems, since the second panel does telegraph the joke. But it's a good joke! And even though it's about a relationship, there's no nudity! But I still wonder...why didn't they use this method?

Incidentally, I HAVE been on a site that used that. I didn't cry, but I answered 'yes' anyway...

Don't remember which site it was, though...

There was something at the bottom which was like (humans: you know you did)

Iridos

Postby Iridos » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:59 am UTC

Oh my god - now that he mentions it, I realize that many of my friends mention hair-loss http://127.0.0.1/anti-hairloss.html, penis-enlargment http://127.0.0.1/size-matters.html and credit-relief products http://127.0.0.1/debt-free-now.html...

It's time to get tested!

I.

PS . Oh, I'm so nervous - what if I fail? Thank god there's ... http://127.0.0.1/get-val1um-ch3ap-now.html

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

(1) Note to people claiming their purely subjective reaction to any given comic is an objective indication of a trend: You're just not that important. The fact that you personally disliked it does not mean xkcd is now doomed to failure. Maybe -- at the most -- it means you'll stop reading xkcd because you no longer enjoy it. (Given that you all seem to have a need to come here and post *why* you didn't enjoy it, though, I'd say that's unlikely, too.)

(1)(a) My personal reaction to "Suspcision" was a moderately good chuckle. I've enjoyed other xkcd's more (and not always for humor -- some of my favorite xkcd's were not the funny kind), some others less. I'm okay with all that.

(2) It is entirely possible the browser pictured is intended to be an amalgamation of several browsers, i.e., to be a generic seeming sort of browser, which anyone can identify with. In Office Space, the filmmakers did the same thing with their computers, combining elements of DOS, Windows, and Mac. Or maybe Randall just didn't care that much and drew the same result.

Now, why don't I make you some of this new Mococoa Drink? All natural. Cocoa beans from the upper slopes of Mount Nicaragua....
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:42 am UTC

lu6cifer wrote:This makes me wonder if there are any Omegle spambots...
hmm...
I'm gonna go impersonate one now.
there was a phase the other month where for about a week or so, as much of 9 out of 10 convos were with spambots due to several very aggressive ones. The majority of them were one-liner camgirl posers. Fortunately they were eventually exorcised.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Eudoxia

Postby Eudoxia » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 am UTC

It was a good comic and all but...

What browser was that? Google Chrome or Chromium?

strat1227

Postby strat1227 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

Am I the only one that started singing "Jag känner en bot Hon heter Anna. Anna heter hon" immediately upon reading this??

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:37 am UTC

The tune was on my mind, but I have problems with the Swedish lyrics.

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: 0632: "Suspicion"

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:15 pm UTC

I remember when I was commenting with my bantering friend on Facebook and he said, "I am a human, too!" in which I replied, "Oh, you are a human? I thought you were a spam-bot".
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”