0632: "Suspicion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlastOButter42

Re: "Suspicion" Discussion

Postby BlastOButter42 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:02 am UTC

"vk couples testing" is at 38 on Google Trends right now: http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:21 am UTC

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Strilanc

Postby Strilanc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:30 am UTC

How many years do you figure until this becomes a real problem?

I picture the eventual future of the internet being millions of fake websites populated by bots having believable and intelligent conversations about recent news events. And Pepsi brand cola.
Don't pay attention to this signature, it's contradictory.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:37 am UTC

I was having some kind of trouble with my AT&T service, and wound up in a chatbox with a help desk person.
Me: are you real or a bot? Who was Alan Turing?
Him: I don't keep up on popular media figures (went on to fix my problem, was probably a human.)

simen

Postby simen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:59 am UTC

I don't get it! What do those images say? :cry:

Great comic, Randall! :D

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:06 am UTC

Strilanc wrote:I picture the eventual future of the internet being millions of fake websites populated by bots having believable and intelligent conversations about recent news events. And Pepsi brand cola.

Cory Doctorow's "When Sysadmins Ruled The Earth" had IRC chatbots still blathering away on what's left of the Internet after most of civilization collapses. "Sometimes you caught five or six flirting with each other. It was pretty weird to watch a piece of malware try to con another instance of itself into downloading a trojan."

50 years ago, we had "There Will Come Soft Rains." Today, we get "asl?"

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:11 am UTC

BlastOButter42 wrote:"vk couples testing" is at 38 on Google Trends right now: http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends

24 now. Don't think we'll beat out Oregon/Boise St. tonight.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:26 am UTC

brakos82 wrote:
BlastOButter42 wrote:"vk couples testing" is at 38 on Google Trends right now: http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends

24 now. Don't think we'll beat out Oregon/Boise St. tonight.

Great... You just got me to waste 30 minutes looking at google trends when I could have been working on the lab report I have due in... 7 hours...

On the plus side, I just found out that my city has the highest traffic to xkcd of any city in my state, beating out gainsville by a third.

And back on topic, so as not to appear to be the chat bot I am... not... its rather sad, but I fail about half of all of those tests. Though in my defence they tend to have a bunch of ambiguous characters.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

keithc

Postby keithc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:20 am UTC

Piecewise wrote:I would love to see a Dr. Phil show dedicated to this genre of relationship disfunction.

I don't want to see a Dr. Phil show on anything

squig

Postby squig » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:17 am UTC

arbivark wrote:I was having some kind of trouble with my AT&T service, and wound up in a chatbox with a help desk person.
Me: are you real or a bot? Who was Alan Turing?
Him: I don't keep up on popular media figures (went on to fix my problem, was probably a human.)

My ISP has a "text chat" facility where you can talk to someone online to fix problems you may have with the service. You just made me realise that I may have been talking to a bot while I have been using this service :O

thanosQR

Postby thanosQR » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:35 am UTC

15 now:D
great comic....
I wonder when the site will be created:p

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:12 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:All the bots seem to be search engine crawlers, and I believe that most crawlers identify themselves to the website that they're indexing. I doubt that they've ever actually logged in, but the forums probably look for that identification and show them as browsing the forum.

Yes, I knew that. It was an attempt at sarcasm and cynicism but you completely ruined it.
You, Mister Idealist, are clearly not cynical at all. Or just a really dumb bot.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Dataflashsabot

Postby Dataflashsabot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:47 am UTC

This was excellent, the cheese was ignited rather quickly :lol:

csours

Postby csours » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:18 am UTC

Thank god for no-script (and firefox). The top few google results for 'vk couples testing' look pretty nasty. Perhaps clicking on a link that has not been cached is not a good idea?

On a side-note Randall could turn us all into his own personal botnet with a carefully crafted alt-text. (or he may already have?)

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:58 am UTC

Any idea what VK stands for? I would have gone with "AT Couple's Testing" myself...
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:30 pm UTC

Code: Select all

(pithy remark)+(back reference comic (rand*(current_comic_id)-1)+("Not funny, not a good comic")

Code: Select all

error line 10: missing closing ")"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:26 pm UTC

Since I've been a detractor for a while now, I feel it's only right that I should step in here and say...

...Randall's back to form with this one!

[one-man applause]

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Any idea what VK stands for? I would have gone with "AT Couple's Testing" myself...

Lurk more.
kbltd wrote:VK test - nice touch - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voight-Kampff_machine
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

Oh, I've met this kind online before. Caused some of us rather serious drama and headache at certain community where I used to be a member.

Although, to be fair, "she" wasn't interested in spamming at all. It was a rather clueless bot, that kept asking us questions and used various online means (from e-mail to web forums to IRC) to assert itself and try to fool us that it was an actual girl, although for certain reason it claimed to be "imaginary".

In particular, it knew a lot about who "she" was supposed to be, but not enough. Basically, "she" was a tall, skinny, ugly college student who longed for company but didn't like to appear in public. I don't remember much else about "her", but I'm rather sure "she" had a passion for lizard-like reptiles such as geckos, dinosaurs and dragons.

My first contact with it was by e-mail; it asked me about a tech document I used to have at my site. Then it started to follow me to said community, and got itself an avatar based on a character from the webcomic that community was all about. Then it proposed to me, but I told it that I wasn't interested in online relationships.

I think it stalked other people around the community, but I don't think I should talk about it. Anyways, I think it was a transparent lie all the way around. Which it tried to further by pestering me into making a webcomic about "her" life (which I did, which makes me something like an accessory to "her" means; the events that happened a couple of years later in my life are a proof that God wasn't happy with me being "her" sidekick).

That webcomic (which isn't online anymore, alas) was the key to its doom. Although "she" claimed to be from Chicago, IL., she didn't appear to know the place at all, even though a simple websearch would have answered my questions. And then it turned into a fantasy of sorts, that I shouldn't talk about. All I can say is that, at some point, it began to have trouble with keeping up that image, making a lot of mistakes in the process. Eventually, "she" gave up, and left the Internets for good.

This webcomic is for "her", and for whoever was behind it. I don't know who else might have, uh... "fallen" for its - again, rather transparent - lies, but for those who suffered because of me helping "her" furthering its goals... I'm sorry.
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

This makes me wonder if there are any Omegle spambots...
hmm...
I'm gonna go impersonate one now.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Storm

Postby Storm » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

lu6cifer wrote:This makes me wonder if there are any Omegle spambots...
Get out of my head .. lu6cifer?
And If you meet another seemingly not human but particularly odd bot - it's probably me.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:08 pm UTC

brakos82 wrote:I saw this one coming from the second panel, and by then the cheese had already caught fire.

pa noob, title and a character called lisa gave it away in the 1st panel :P
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sudo-Fu

Postby Sudo-Fu » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

GOOMHR moment: I spent a lot of time on Omegle last night (a chat service that randomly and anonymously connects two people, and ends the chat whenever either one gets bored). It's been overrun with people soliciting CP and bots recently, so for a lot of chats my first line was "When Littlefoot's mother died in The Land Before Time, did you cry?" Has the bonus effect of exposing any XKCDians.
Wait..... what??

Tawnos

Postby Tawnos » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

Wow, can't believe nobody's linked to http://www.vkcouplestesting.com/

Not as interesting as wetriffs. Where are we to upload our own pictures to scare the locals?
If determinism is right, does it matter that I believe in free will?

Caswin

Postby Caswin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:53 pm UTC

Bahahaha. Brilliant.

[two-man applause]

MR EVAL

Postby MR EVAL » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:Oh, I've met this kind online before. Caused some of us rather serious drama and headache at certain community where I used to be a member.
Spoiler:
Although, to be fair, "she" wasn't interested in spamming at all. It was a rather clueless bot, that kept asking us questions and used various online means (from e-mail to web forums to IRC) to assert itself and try to fool us that it was an actual girl, although for certain reason it claimed to be "imaginary".

In particular, it knew a lot about who "she" was supposed to be, but not enough. Basically, "she" was a tall, skinny, ugly college student who longed for company but didn't like to appear in public. I don't remember much else about "her", but I'm rather sure "she" had a passion for lizard-like reptiles such as geckos, dinosaurs and dragons.

My first contact with it was by e-mail; it asked me about a tech document I used to have at my site. Then it started to follow me to said community, and got itself an avatar based on a character from the webcomic that community was all about. Then it proposed to me, but I told it that I wasn't interested in online relationships.

I think it stalked other people around the community, but I don't think I should talk about it. Anyways, I think it was a transparent lie all the way around. Which it tried to further by pestering me into making a webcomic about "her" life (which I did, which makes me something like an accessory to "her" means; the events that happened a couple of years later in my life are a proof that God wasn't happy with me being "her" sidekick).

That webcomic (which isn't online anymore, alas) was the key to its doom. Although "she" claimed to be from Chicago, IL., she didn't appear to know the place at all, even though a simple websearch would have answered my questions. And then it turned into a fantasy of sorts, that I shouldn't talk about. All I can say is that, at some point, it began to have trouble with keeping up that image, making a lot of mistakes in the process. Eventually, "she" gave up, and left the Internets for good.

This webcomic is for "her", and for whoever was behind it. I don't know who else might have, uh... "fallen" for its - again, rather transparent - lies, but for those who suffered because of me helping "her" furthering its goals... I'm sorry.

Wow. Sounds creepy but I think it was probably someone pulling an elaborate joke (or perhaps testing his bot's AI?)
EDIT: Once again, I have this feeling you were only joking. I actually thought of that first but then brushed it aside thinking you included far too many non funny details to be joking. Also, I have little knowledge of the city I live in despite having lived here for 18 years (born and brought up and stayed there before I went to college) so, atleast I can never fault anyone for not knowing the city they live in. :P

Anywho, I liked the comic, it was both funny in the sense of feeling sad for the guy and a tiny bit for the bot. :D

I remember there being an ALICE bot sometime back, had some fun time to figure out it's patterns. I think it was also adapted to make a "chat with God" thing. Quite amusing.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

Max2009 wrote:
Cynical Idealist wrote:All the bots seem to be search engine crawlers, and I believe that most crawlers identify themselves to the website that they're indexing. I doubt that they've ever actually logged in, but the forums probably look for that identification and show them as browsing the forum.

Yes, I knew that. It was an attempt at sarcasm and cynicism but you completely ruined it.
You, Mister Idealist, are clearly not cynical at all. Or just a really dumb bot.

Of course I'm not a bot.

How about we discuss this over some delicious Coca-Cola?
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Ajtucker22

Postby Ajtucker22 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

I saw the joke coming a mile away, and it still made me laugh. I found this one really funny, and i don't know why! It shouldn't be this funny!

sithwalrus

Postby sithwalrus » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

out of curiosity, i need to check what filters there are on these forums. lol lmao rofl w00t woot hitler wookiees Optimus Prime $20 and my dignity
Bruce Schneier captain falcon ftw ftff free cash penis
okay, that should be good enough.
-Edit-
only l0l and h1tler? this could have been so interesting.

soggylungs

Postby soggylungs » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but nice THX reference.

strat1227

Postby strat1227 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:42 pm UTC

definitely the best one in a while. it's good to see more nerd jokes, last weeks was just retarded, and even the few before that weren't great.

way to get back on track :D

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

I can say that this comic did one thing right. It contained a reference IN ADDITION to a joke. You see randy, a reference like that is something something on top that makes the entire joke/comic more enjoyable.
What if you ordered a sundae and they just gave you a cherry? You would be pissed!
This is why so many "Xkcd" comics piss me off. They simply refer to something popular on the internet with no joke or punchline, which is not funny (regardless of what the people on here think).

Wednesday's comic was an all time low. Since you can only improve from here, I hope you take this opportunity to turn your comic in a new direction.
Randall, get out of my trunk!

pyro789x

Postby pyro789x » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

I'm amazed by how many people in this thread didn't get the joke.

Great one Randall, a standing ovation for you

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

I lol'd at the alt text. The VK reference is a nice touch too.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

OCEAT

Postby OCEAT » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

Wow, the response in this topic is not what I expected. Honestly, I didn't find it that funny. A guy has been chatting with a girl online, but it turns out she's a bot. No burnt cheese here. I mean, it's slightly humorous in delivery, but it's not a return to form. There have been much better comics in weeks past. It was a miss for me.
GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Say "ocean".
Look at my name.
Tee-hee.

Korbl

Postby Korbl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

Omegaton wrote:Man, I haven't interacted with a chat robot since SmarterChild, and that one didn't push products.

I found it pretty funny, though, haha. Silly computers, unable to read simple words just because they're images and messed up a little.

I haven't talked to one since I first heard about them at age... I don't know 11? I still remember teach Eliza about pokemon...

Spambot online dating is a terrifying prospect.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

Tawnos wrote:Wow, can't believe nobody's linked to http://www.vkcouplestesting.com/ ....

No Kittens! Bad website!
(Nonetheless, useful.)
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Story

Postby Story » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

The problem is that nowadays, the bots are often better at CAPTCHAs then humans are.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

Story wrote:The problem is that nowadays, the bots are often better at CAPTCHAs then humans are.

I've actually heard that people are using CAPTCHAs to improve image recognition software
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

songwithnosoul

Postby songwithnosoul » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Oh, that's classic xkcd. Only Randal Monroe... well, and Rob. I can't help but think that it must've been some kind of sophisticated 'bot. To think, it was defeated by the word "kittens". He probably could've continued their relationship, if it weren't for his sadly antiquated views of human/computer program relationships. :P
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”