0633: "Blockbuster Mining"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Werewolf

Re: "Blockbuster Mining" Discussion

Postby Werewolf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:02 am UTC

Jealousy wrote:I understand why the comic supposed to be funny (I hope), but I just couldn't get it up to this one. ):
Max2009 wrote:Since I have a little sister, I knew that Harriet the Spy was like Hardy Boys for girls. But that's all I knew. I never knew they made it into a movie, and I don't think I'd ever want to watch it.

Nancy Drew was much closer to being Hardy Boys for girls. In fact, Nancy Drew is basically a genderswap Hardy Boys, come to think of it.

Actually, Nancy and The Hardy Boys were created by the same guy. Heck, that guy wrote dozens of series under various pen names. The author you see on the Hardy Boys cover? He doesn't exist. He's a pseudonym. He wrote the Tom Swift series too, as well as who knows how many other series of the day. And they're all alike. They're a bigger story to all that. This is the condensed version.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:03 am UTC

What's up with the title text (aka "alt text")? There's a trailer for the movie trailer?
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Storm

Postby Storm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:03 am UTC

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought this was about Tam/Firefly.
I think Randall sometimes needs to provide a wiki link right to page of whatever he is referencing. If we don't get it, we're going there anyway.

ps. Where the Wild Things Are trailer rocks... simply for the Arcade Fire.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Jealousy

Postby Jealousy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:15 am UTC

Werewolf wrote:Actually, Nancy and The Hardy Boys were created by the same guy. Heck, that guy wrote dozens of series under various pen names. The author you see on the Hardy Boys cover? He doesn't exist. He's a pseudonym. He wrote the Tom Swift series too, as well as who knows how many other series of the day. And they're all alike. They're a bigger story to all that. This is the condensed version.

*wikis*

He...he created The Rover Boys, Tom Swift, Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and The Bobbsey Twins? Apparently, 95% of my favorite books as a kid were all by the same author. Mind = blown.

LaughingMan42

Postby LaughingMan42 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Logged in for the second time ever to say:
There is a redundant appearance of the word "trailer" in the alt text:

"The 2007 trailer for Bridge to Terebithia trailer put me off..."

metalocalypse

Postby metalocalypse » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:26 am UTC

sircheeziusbreezius wrote:i feel like over the past few weeks, randall has been trying to kill our fond childhood memories..

and i have no problem with it. i love it :D

you mean something like this?

http://www.xkcd.com/493/
Spoiler:
^^ Click Click Clickity Click^^

Elipongo

Postby Elipongo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:36 am UTC

Rather reminds me of how Hollywood raped Heinlein's Starship Troopers. That turned me off to most movies from books forever.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:53 am UTC

Jealousy wrote:*wikis*

He...he created The Rover Boys, Tom Swift, Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and The Bobbsey Twins? Apparently, 95% of my favorite books as a kid were all by the same author. Mind = blown.

Actually, I think it's the opposite. The publishing house hired anonymous authors to write books, and all books in a series get the same pseudonymous author, although they are actually written by different authors. And they used more or less the same author pool to write others series under other names.

foodeater184

Postby foodeater184 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:09 am UTC

Soap wrote:Im curıous about the blank space that takes up most of the top half of the comıc. Does ıt mean anythıng or ıs ıt just style?

Has anyone figured this out yet?

Jealousy

Postby Jealousy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:36 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:Actually, I think it's the opposite. The publishing house hired anonymous authors to write books, and all books in a series get the same pseudonymous author, although they are actually written by different authors. And they used more or less the same author pool to write others series under other names.

Poor choice of wording on my part. According to Wikipedia, Edward Stratemeyer sent plot summaries to anonymous authors, who would then actually write the darned things. Which is why I said "created" rather than 'wrote' in my post's first sentence. But then I promptly undermined that with my second sentence. S:

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:50 am UTC

@Everybody: I'M SORRY!!

Harriet the Spy sounds like it is like the Hardy Boys. Just because my sister has the book doesn't mean I read it or know what it's about. All I know is that it exists, and sits next to the Hardy Boys on our bookshelf.

Also, I knew that Franklin W. Dixon was a pseudo-name, and that the books were written by different authors. Even at the age of 10 I could tell that there are (were?) at least 3 distinct series published in different decades, and that the writing style is very different from book to book.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:26 am UTC

yellie wrote:I for one am disgusted so many people don't know who Harriet the Spy is. :(

Yeeeeeaaaaahhh... You are aware that not every xkcd reader is North American, right? And you are probably also aware, that not all American literature is as popular outside as it is in its homeland? Then why are you so disgusted again?

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:06 am UTC

msto wrote:
Rehio wrote:Well, except for I, Robot. That's like the only movie that I think stayed really well with the book.

Registered just to say:

That damn well better be sarcasm.

QFT. Well, it stayed with the book for oh, I don't know, thirty seconds maybe. After that, not so much. In fact, not only did it not stick with the book, it threw out the entire conception of robot behaviour that is common to all of Asimov's work, and chucked a few offhand references in so that it could still claim "based on". About par for the course, unfortunately.

I haven't seen the movie version of Bicentennial Man; did it fare any better? (Mind you I'm not a big fan even of the Silverberg collaborations, so I'm not hopeful.)

squig

Postby squig » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:11 am UTC

Rehio wrote:The Bridge to Terabithia wasn't completely horrible, but it wasn't great either. The book is still better, as it usually is.

Well, except for I, Robot. That's like the only movie that I think stayed really well with the book.

"I, Robot" the movie is nothing like the book.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:43 am UTC

And this is why I'm glad Pratchett threw out the Hollywood massacre of "The Wee Free Men".

Nae director! Nae producer! Nae studio! Nae Michael Bay! We willnae be fooled again!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Neongreen

Postby Neongreen » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:59 am UTC

msto wrote:
Rehio wrote:Well, except for I, Robot. That's like the only movie that I think stayed really well with the book.

Registered just to say:

Registered just to ask:
Has Rehio actually read I, Robot?

zyzzyva

Postby zyzzyva » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:39 am UTC

Perhaps I have too little faith in Hollywood, but looking at the first three frames I swear I thought it'd turn out to be The Diary of Anne Frank...

cjm

Postby cjm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

The Bridge to Terabithia trailer was totally misleading and actually included most of the CGI that was in the entire movie. As others have said, the movie is a really faithful adaptation -- I thought it was kind of amazing, and recommend it strongly. Me, I started sobbing a little about two minutes in...

Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

Note: I've only read pg 1 of this thread
I think Bridge to Terabithia shouldn't have been made into a movie. I remember in primary school, we read the book, and we had to draw pictures of what all the creatures looked like. In hindsight, it was amazing that we were able to have such different interpretations from the same text. But now that the movies been released, just like every other classic, we will watch the movie immediately after the book and then do all the activities. This will then tell kids that imagined Billy Elliot as a black kid, or put his own face in that of the protagonists, that they are wrong and they should be thinking like Hollywood directors. But the damage has been done with classical books getting the Hollywood treatment, such as Billy Elliot, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Hatchet, and even the bible. The future generations will probably learn, incorrectly, that their imaginations are wrong and should be blocked out.
end note: this may not make sense, i'm very tired at the moment.
Jack Bauer once forgot where he put his keys. He then spent the next half-hour torturing himself until he gave up their location.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

squig wrote:
Rehio wrote:The Bridge to Terabithia wasn't completely horrible, but it wasn't great either. The book is still better, as it usually is.

Well, except for I, Robot. That's like the only movie that I think stayed really well with the book.

"I, Robot" the movie is nothing like the book.

What?! Of course it is, pretty much to the letter. Asimov was a proponent of wearing Converse 2004 classics.

My favourite part of the book is where the shopkeeper goes 'I see your problem; someone's switched this robot to evil'. And I'm like, Isaac, c'mon, surely the GIANT RED GLOW OF EVIL in their chests is a dead giveaway. Anyway, I hate the way Asimov totally rips off Apple with the design of the iRobot.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

metalocalypse wrote: you mean something like this?

http://www.xkcd.com/493/

i wanna be like BHG
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

markdavo

Postby markdavo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Ironically my first experience of Harriet the Spy was the not-so-blockbuster film with Michelle Trachtenberg. I also loved the movie adaptation of Bridge to Teribithia.

Maybe it would have been better if a non-adapted book had been chosen...like Ender's Game... Only most of those scenes would actually make sense then... Lord of the Flies?...Oh wait...

mythago

Postby mythago » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

Werewolf wrote:Actually, Nancy and The Hardy Boys were created by the same guy. Heck, that guy wrote dozens of series under various pen names. The author you see on the Hardy Boys cover? He doesn't exist. He's a pseudonym. He wrote the Tom Swift series too, as well as who knows how many other series of the day. And they're all alike. They're a bigger story to all that. This is the condensed version.

She, actually, in the case of Nancy Drew. http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com/history.html

Edward Stratemeyer created the series lines and farmed the books out to various authors who wrote under a pseudonym. Most of the Nancy Drew books were written by a woman.

That aside - even if you had to Google Harriet the Spy, c'mon, folks. The strip is making fun of Hollywood's tendency to take children's books and try to turn them into faux-hip, ugly "blockbusters" without a clue that they're losing all the allure of the original book. Cf., The Cat in the Hat.
three lines of plaintext
obsolete signature form
replaced by JPEGs

Bluewink

Postby Bluewink » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:Yeeeeeaaaaahhh... You are aware that not every xkcd reader is North American, right?

Thank you. And may I add, that even then, not all North Americans are Americans and/or English speaking.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

This film seems much more promising...

blockbuster_mining.png
blockbuster_mining.png (178.16 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

msto wrote:

Registered just to say:

I hope so to. I haven't seen a worse movie for that.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

Bluewink wrote:... not all North Americans are Americans

Out of curiosity, how does that work again? Doesn't being North American imply that you live in The Americas?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

hawkthewalk

Postby hawkthewalk » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

i'll just chime in that bridge to terebithia was a lot subtler than its trailer. and i cried and stuff too, blah blah blah

In other news you should read Harriet the Spy if you haven't already, it's one of those really great "kid"'s books that manages to touch on some of the difficulties of growing into a human being without feeling false/insincerely nostalgic at all.

green-bean

Postby green-bean » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

Really? Sounds a little bit...

...Derivative.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:

Out of curiosity, how does that work again? Doesn't being North American imply that you live in The Americas?

not if youre canadian or mexican..
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

Story

Postby Story » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Wow I actually got burned by the cheese that time. This easily makes up for the lack of funny comics recently.
That reminds me of when I went to see a movie this summer and was finally forced to realize the depths to which Hollywood as sunk.

Not only are they doing Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, they're doing Where The Wild things Are, a book 10 sentences long.
Anyone want to take bets on the next target? My prediction is The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Game_boy wrote:
msto wrote:

Registered just to say:

I hope so to. I haven't seen a worse movie for that.

That movie literally has nothing to do with the book. It was originally going to be called Hardwired, but they changed the name to make more money.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

sircheeziusbreezius wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

So what continent is Canada and Mexico on, then? Have they like helilifted them to Europe or something?

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:

Or from Greenland or St. Pierre et Miquelon. I usually mean Canada (sans Québec, if you like) and the USA when referring to North America. Also, if American means “citizen of the USA”, what do you call the inhabitants of all of America?

error792

Postby error792 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

You misspelt Terabithia.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

The only question I had was whether Michelle Trachtenberg would be reprising the role.

Midna

Postby Midna » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Is that torture panel a Reservoir Dogs reference?

That ear scene ruined that song for me.

yellie

Postby yellie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:
yellie wrote:I for one am disgusted so many people don't know who Harriet the Spy is. :(

Yeeeeeaaaaahhh... You are aware that not every xkcd reader is North American, right? And you are probably also aware, that not all American literature is as popular outside as it is in its homeland? Then why are you so disgusted again?

Ummmm what. I don't live in America and I know who Harriet the Spy is. I was always under the assumption that Harriet was a fairly well-known character, which is why I said that. So uh, yeah. I'm sorry if my little comment annoyed you!

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:So what continent is Canada and Mexico on, then? Have they like helilifted them to Europe or something?

Stop being obtuse. Everybody knows that "American" is what we call a citizen of the US.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

So what continent is Canada and Mexico on, then? Have they like helilifted them to Europe or something?

canada and mexico are a part of north america, but the usual term for people living in the US is american, though technically, i supposed to COULD mean youre from north, central or south america.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

Or from Greenland or St. Pierre et Miquelon. I usually mean Canada (sans Québec, if you like) and the USA when referring to North America. Also, if American means “citizen of the USA”, what do you call the inhabitants of all of America?

usually it goes that people from the US are american, people from canada are canadian, mexicans are from mexico, etc. although, as i said in my reply to some other guy, i supposed that technically american COULD apply to anyone from north, central or south america, but thats not how its commonly used.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”