0633: "Blockbuster Mining"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

VectorZero

Re: "Blockbuster Mining" Discussion

Postby VectorZero » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:54 am UTC

I was aware of that, but thank you. I also am looking forward to the adaptation of Maurice Sendak's book.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:11 am UTC

SEE wrote:
ysth wrote:I sometimes like to ask random "Americans" how many countries there are in North America. Hint: more than three.

Please, tell us, what entirely arbitrary definition of North America do you use to pretend to yourself that others who use a different arbitrary definition are ignorant?

Designating in terms of places with a continuous continental shelf, there is no North America distinguishable from South America, Asia, Europe, and Africa.

Designating in terms of a continuous natural land connection, there is no North America distinguishable from South America.

Designating in terms of a continuous land connection, with canals counted as breaking such, there are ten. (Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, and the United States.) Of course, then Manhattan isn't part of North America, since it's a separate island.

There are 13 countries on the North American tectonic plate — but they include Russia and Japan. (The Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Cuba, Denmark [Greenland], France [Saint Pierre and Miquelon], Guatemala [northern part], Iceland [western part], Mexico, Japan [northern part], Russia [eastern Siberia], the United Kingdom [Bermuda], and the United States.)

Designated politically, the definitions could either include all members of the North American Free Trade Agreement (Canada, Mexico, and the United States), or all members of the North American Aerospace Defense Command (Canada and the United States only).

Summer Glau, is that you?
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:30 am UTC

msimswil wrote:Loving the existential nomenclature crisis.
You, sir, name? wrote:But then, how do you refer to a group of people from the Americas -- both south, central and north?

How about "This is a group of people from the Americas -- south, central and north". Does everything have to have a collective noun? However, <pedantry> I personally wouldn't use "both" when commencing a list of more than two. </pedantry> sudo duckflyingkeyboard

There is a loophole rescuing my both, though. Central america isn't really a continent, it's part of the North American continent. But North America can also be used to refer to the "north american continent - central america". So, I suppose you could refer to the north american continent as "central and north america", therefore, both is merited.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:33 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:There is a loophole rescuing my both, though. Central america isn't really a continent, it's part of the North American continent. But North America can also be used to refer to the "north american continent - central america". So, I suppose you could refer to the north american continent as "central and north america", therefore, both is merited.

i still want to dispute your both given you referred to three separate things, though your loophole could work, if one was willing to accept.
i am not :>
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

Hichhiker

Postby Hichhiker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:34 am UTC

Getting back to the topic at hand...

I am shocked no one commented on upcoming trailers for "Sherlock Holmes"? - I mean for crying out loud, they made Sherlock Holmes into an action hero... that was the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time.... It is SOOOOO wrong.... and yet somehow I still want to see it...

As for "I, Robot" - I really wish they would make THAT into a movie... There have been a number of screenplays written, including a very cool one by Harlan Ellison, but none of them ever made it to the big screen.

-HH
Relevant Elephants - A Somatic Webcomic about the more relevant pink elephants in the room... (Leave Feedback here)

beable

Postby beable » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:45 am UTC

A comment from my blog:

I'm not sure if I want to know what Randall Munroe means about being "cautiously optimistic about Where the Wild Things Are". Optimistic that it will be true to the book? Optimistic that it will have lots of explosions and velociraptors?

http://beable.livejournal.com/507481.html?thread=1800793#t1800793

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:52 am UTC

doctorpsycho1960 wrote:Saying Harriet the Spy is like the Hardy Boys is like saying Les Miserable is like The Count of Monte Cristo.

And I can only shake my head in puzzlement at anyone's feeling hopeful after seeing the trailer for Where the Wild Things Are. I mean, let's start with Max being about twice the age he ought to be....

But then, making a feature film out of a picture book is pretty much always a bad idea. Didn't work for The Cat in the Hat, didn't work for How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and I ain't looking forward to Goodnight Moon: The Movie.

I'm not looking forward to the cinematic adaptation of Everybody Poops.

sircheeziusbreezius wrote: if someone was from brazil, someone was from canada and someone was from honduras, you wouldnt call them american, although you technically could.
it would most likely be stated as a brazilian, a canadian and a honduran and you wouldnt group them together.

A Brazilian, a Canadian and a Honduran walk into a restaurant. The hostess says, "I'm sorry, I can't seat you together." [add more here]
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:01 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
A Brazilian, a Canadian and a Honduran walk into a restaurant. The hostess says, "I'm sorry, I can't seat you together." [add more here]

this could be so fucking perfect.
i so wish i was more clever at 1am :/
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

prosfilaes

Postby prosfilaes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Mr. Burke wrote: Also, if American means “citizen of the USA”, what do you call the inhabitants of all of America?

How about a New Worlder? Why do we need a name for someone who lives in one of two continents? What do we call the inhabitants of Eurasia? (Eurasians already has another meaning.)

ysth

Postby ysth » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:
ysth wrote:I sometimes like to ask random "Americans" how many countries there are in North America. Hint: more than three.
If only things were that easy. Dividing the Americas isn't exactly unambiguous. If you consider Mexico as Central American, you end up with four North American countries (or something similar), only two of which are sovereign.

What's your expected answer?
Ideally, a question back asking for definitions of "country" and "North America". The point is that there is a blind spot; U.S. school children are, by and large, taught that "North America" is a continental area, extending down to Panama and including the Caribbean, but to think of "Central America" and the island countries and territories as also somehow being separate and far off.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

sonicsuns

Postby sonicsuns » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:48 am UTC

I'm sure this has been said before, but I'll say it again:
That "Bridge to Terabithia" trailer really misrepresented the movie. It was a good movie. You should go see it.

Makin

Postby Makin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 am UTC

sonicsuns wrote:I'm sure this has been said before, but I'll say it again:
That "Bridge to Terabithia" trailer really misrepresented the movie. It was a good movie. You should go see it.

You should see it alone. It's as sad as Fry's dog.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:22 am UTC

CameoAppearance wrote:Not only did I confuse the dark-haired girl with River Tam, I thought this was a production of River Tam Beats Up Everyone. (Although her dialogue's too coherent to be consistent with River's normal characterization.)

It should have been.

...I want someone to make that movie. Seriously.

Also, and I know this is going to end poorly... I seem to be the only one here who actually liked I, Robot. It may not have been wasn't a good adaption a decent adaption an adaption in anything but name and Laws, but it was a good movie in its own right. (Not to mention... the Laws actually could work that way. If Asimov never wrote about that, he should have. Little robot-Tau working FOR THE GREATER GOOD! would have been was a good story.) Even if it did have too many ruttin' Converses in it.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:37 am UTC

I think this map I made helps illustrate the problems with where divisions lay. Curious what people see differently from this kind of map (which you may or may not have seen before).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

A. Akbar

Postby A. Akbar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:56 am UTC

I loves this, though why is Randal targeting mu childhood?

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Europe ends at the Urals, North America at the Panama/Columbia border. What's so hard about that?

And I believe the correct demonym for somebody from the United States of America is "United Stateser".
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Pxtl

Postby Pxtl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

This comic confused me, because I had dim memories of seeing commercials for a movie of that title *googles* 1996? starring Michelle Trachtenberg? Fsck, I'm old.

Either way, I had no idea it was based on a children's book.

So yeah, the comic was confusing.

Werewolf

Postby Werewolf » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

Pxtl wrote:This comic confused me, because I had dim memories of seeing commercials for a movie of that title *googles* 1996? starring Michelle Trachtenberg? Fsck, I'm old.

Either way, I had no idea it was based on a children's book.

So yeah, the comic was confusing.

Yeah, xkcd requires you to be well versed in many different obscure areas of information to grasp the joke at times. But I read Harriet the Spy in 5th Grade. SO this was a hilarious comic for me.

Pxtl

Postby Pxtl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

prosfilaes wrote:
Mr. Burke wrote: Also, if American means “citizen of the USA”, what do you call the inhabitants of all of America?

How about a New Worlder? Why do we need a name for someone who lives in one of two continents? What do we call the inhabitants of Eurasia? (Eurasians already has another meaning.)

In parts of South America, they call people from the USA Norteamericanos, and consider themselves Americanos. Which is kind of unfair to Canadians.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Pxtl wrote:This comic confused me, because I had dim memories of seeing commercials for a movie of that title *googles* 1996? starring Michelle Trachtenberg? Fsck, I'm old.

1996 = Old?

Sometimes I just hate the Internet.

SolkaTruesilver

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

prosfilaes wrote:

In Quebec, we call U.S. citizens "Etatsunniens", after "Etats-Unis d'Amerique". How about calling U.S. citizens U.Staters?

Or just "the Staters"?

U.S. citizens having the exclusivity of the appelation "Americans" is as stupid as an United Arab Emirates citizen having the exclusivity of the appelation "Arab". Just because you didn't thought of a proper name for your country doesn't mean you can appropriate the continent's appelation. We call UAE citizens "Emirati", after all.

Homncruse

Postby Homncruse » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Rysto wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:So what continent is Canada and Mexico on, then? Have they like helilifted them to Europe or something?

Stop being obtuse. Everybody knows that "American" is what we call a citizen of the US.

Just be acute instead ;) [/badpun]

sircheeziusbreezius wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:But then, how do you refer to a group of people from the Americas -- both south, central and north?

first of all, i now question everything you have said due to your improper usage of the word 'both'.
second, if someone was from brazil, someone was from canada and someone was from honduras, you wouldnt call them american, although you technically could.
it would most likely be stated as a brazilian, a canadian and a honduran and you wouldnt group them together.

I just call them people... Why do we have to identify ourselves by nationality? Even as a full citizen of the United States of America, I don't identify myself as simply "American" (yeah, yeah, bad name... but it's accepted and you all know what I mean). I know I'm not satisfied with being generalized with the rest of my country's inhabitants. I'm not responsible for their actions. As a more obvious example, with today's prejudices against those of Arab descent due to increased attention on terrorism, are all those of Arab descent satisfied with being generalized with their terrorist kin? If I go hang out with a Cuban, African, Chinese, etc., and we're in a public place doing something noticeable, do you say, "hey, look what those American and Chinese guys are doing", or do you say, "hey, look what those guys are doing"? I know it's an overused concept by Stephen Colbert, but why must we bring race into it? Why do we always see race? Even "race" itself is a misnomer... we're all the same "race" from an evolutionary standpoint. Being born/living on some arbitrary sect of land which is artificially divided by our own societies does not a new "race" make. Given two cats from the same litter (thus avoiding the "breed" question), if one cat has kittens in the U.S.A., and the other cat has kittens in Germany, are all those kittens still the same race? Yes. Why are we so different?

Back on topic: I, too, only knew of Harriet the Spy from the Michelle Trachtenburg movie. I was not aware it was a book as well. I loved the movie, though that may have been partly due to my crush on Miss Trachtenburg at the time. I thought she was cute... (Don't judge! We're the same age!)

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
prosfilaes wrote:

In Quebec, we call U.S. citizens "Etatsunniens", after "Etats-Unis d'Amerique". How about calling U.S. citizens U.Staters?

Or just "the Staters"?

I think "Statians" sounds better.

dexeron

Postby dexeron » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

It's not arrogance to call oneself an American; it's simply bowing to common usage.

When I visited Europe, I wasn't asked: "Hello, are you a United States-ian?" or "Are you a U S of A-in" or "Are you a United States of America...n?" I was called an "American". I'm not trying to usurp a continent out from under anyone, and I sincerely doubt anyone I met on my trip was trying to do it either. I'd wager that most folks in the world (not just in the U.S.) prefer shorter, easier to say names as descriptors.

I do have a friend from England, however, who sometimes refers to us citizens of the USA as "Columbians", of course that causes problems because of that whole Columbia vs Colombia thing. ;)
By and by, when the sidewalks are safe for the little guy...

ianf

Postby ianf » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

ysth wrote:U.S. school children are, by and large, taught that "North America" is a continental area, extending down to Panama and including the Caribbean, but to think of "Central America" and the island countries and territories as also somehow being separate and far off.

Alternatively, to quote a famous song ... "Why most people think Central America means Kansas"

Hichhiker

Postby Hichhiker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

ianf wrote:Alternatively, to quote a famous song ... "Why most people think Central America means Kansas"

Ok, as much as I consider myself a fan of Franti, I have to ask - in what universe does DHoH qualify as "famous"? :-)

-HH

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

SolkaTruesilver wrote:In Quebec, we call U.S. citizens "Etatsunniens", after "Etats-Unis d'Amerique". How about calling U.S. citizens U.Staters?
I'd have never thought I'd say this, but French really is the superior language here.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

Reading this, I thought it was supposed to be River Tam Beats Up Everyone, and was incredibly happy. I was very disappointed when I saw the movie title.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

faye159

Postby faye159 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:48 am UTC

i had to read the first few sentences of the wikipedia entry to remember that i've already watched the movie. although i didn't know the title back then....

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:40 am UTC

At least they didn't decide to call my country the Federated States of Australia.

Also, the Harriet is a spy!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Rehio

Postby Rehio » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:00 am UTC

Whoops, inadvertently caused rage with my "I, Robot" comment. Yes, it was sarcasm. Other than the whole "Robots seem to circumvent the Three Laws but really aren't," it was rather off. Even then the way they chose to do it sucked.

I'll put sarcasm tags next time.

Edit: I'm not sure there's any way to take Asimov's works and do them justice in film. If there is, I'd love to see it.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

Yeah, Terabithia was really good. There was nothing on one night and noticed it starting so I tuned in. I remembered the trailers looking like a Narnia knock-off so I was going to watch it just to see how horrible it was. Lets just say that it was the trailers that were horrible and completely misrepresented the entire movie. Plot twist completely unexpected. Go watch it Randall. Plus Robert Patrick's in it. I have yet to read the book to see how true it stayed to the story.

BigRig

Postby BigRig » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:16 am UTC

I completely agree. Bridge to Terabithia was an excellent, tastefully done movie. I haven't read the book*, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. And indeed, the preview made it seem like an awful Narnia knock-off. I see way too many movies though.

*Thus I can still say every book I've ever read that was then turned into a movie was awful. The only other one I need to pull this excuse on is LotR - sadly I saw the movies first.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

BigRig wrote:I completely agree. Bridge to Terabithia was an excellent, tastefully done movie. I haven't read the book*, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. And indeed, the preview made it seem like an awful Narnia knock-off. I see way too many movies though.

*Thus I can still say every book I've ever read that was then turned into a movie was awful. The only other one I need to pull this excuse on is LotR - sadly I saw the movies first.

If you use those exact words, you could probably still get away with it. After all, it was turned into a movie before you read it, right?
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

Neongreen wrote:
msto wrote:
Rehio wrote:Well, except for I, Robot. That's like the only movie that I think stayed really well with the book.

Registered just to say:

That damn well better be sarcasm.

Registered just to ask:
Has Rehio actually read I, Robot?

I, Robot, the movie, was originally written over a decade before release as Hardwired, a stageplay-like mystery. The studio got their hands on it and, as they owned the rights to Asimov's book, hired a writer to add some action scenes and Asimov references so they could slap the name on it.

DesSidDes

Postby DesSidDes » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:This summer...

*pictures of kids in a park*

You think that your children are safe...

*more pictures, panning to carer*

.. you think your babysitter is a trusted member of society ..

*pregent pause, cut to black*

.. or are they?

*Blood, screaming*

Your babysitter... is a murderer

child: "Arg! Don't hurt me!"

teen: "You're mine, kid!"

*large club being swung around by teen, shadowing in a child's bedroom*

.. Babysitter's Club.. the Movie.

teen: "Let's play some hide and seek, kids... *mwahahahaa...*"

Coming soon...

You caused me to laugh on the floor. At my work.

And how is it that so many people hadn't heard of Harriet the Spy? I guess I was one of the few that had to read that book in elementary school...

kestrad

Postby kestrad » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:27 am UTC

I'm surprised that "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" was not mentioned in the comic at all. Especially because if I remember the details of the book correctly, it would have taken a lot of plot stuffing to make that book into a worthwhile movie.

BigRig

Postby BigRig » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:35 am UTC

I was shocked that they managed to invent enough stuffing to turn Polar Express into a movie. The 32-ish page beautiful Caldecott-winning children's books they try to turn into movies...

AlexanderRM

Postby AlexanderRM » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:54 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:1st I'm a citizen of the United States of America. (emphasis mine... duh)

3rd Anyone living on the continent is an American. Only ignorant ass-hats who live in the United States of America have the hubris to call themselves Americans as if they owned the whole of the continent.

Indeed, the name of the country is "the United States of (THE CONTINENT OF) America". Like, as in, opposed to the United States of the Virgin Islands or something (I'm pretty sure there actually is another U.S. of __ out there... maybe it is V.I.). People just started calling it "America" when the neo-conservatives needed an adjective to accuse people of not being (let's not get into that, though).

In fact, I'm pretty sure it was origionally supposed to be a loose (ish) organization of states, like the E.U. or somewhat, so the original intent was for people to call themselves New Yorkers or Virginians or whatever (though I STILL don't know what I'd call myself as a resident of Massachusetts...).

Pi is exactly three wrote:
neoliminal wrote:On the "american" thing:
3rd Anyone living on the continent is an American. Only ignorant ass-hats who live in the United States of America have the hubris to call themselves Americans as if they owned the whole of the continent.

I think I have to dispute this point. Speaking as a Brit, if someone was described to me as an American I would naturally assume that they were a citizen of the USA, simply through common usage, not an ignorance of geography.

Yeah, I must admit despite my previous comment, the need for an adjective or noun in the way "America" is used is important. No matter what you say, nobody is ever going to use the term "united-states-ian" in real life.

ysth wrote:
Mr. Burke wrote:
If only things were that easy. Dividing the Americas isn't exactly unambiguous. If you consider Mexico as Central American, you end up with four North American countries (or something similar), only two of which are sovereign.

What's your expected answer?
Ideally, a question back asking for definitions of "country" and "North America". The point is that there is a blind spot; U.S. school children are, by and large, taught that "North America" is a continental area, extending down to Panama and including the Caribbean, but to think of "Central America" and the island countries and territories as also somehow being separate and far off.

Yeah, that's annoying. I used to always get so !@%!@# confused about North America and Central America, like is CA just a part of NA, is Mexico a part of CA or just those little countries... >_<
Even out of elementary school, in things like atlases nobody can agree whether the Lesser Antilles are North or South America. It's much better than the stuff with Asia/Oceania though... >_<

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:34 pm UTC

AlexanderRM wrote:In fact, I'm pretty sure it was origionally supposed to be a loose (ish) organization of states, like the E.U. or somewhat, so the original intent was for people to call themselves New Yorkers or Virginians or whatever (though I STILL don't know what I'd call myself as a resident of Massachusetts...).
Not quite that loose, but that was the general idea(there's a reason the word "state" was used, although a man in a stovepipe hat disagreed and the Union was replaced with the Country).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”