0636: "Brontosaurus"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Coin

Re: "Brontosaurus" Discussion

Postby Coin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:44 am UTC

Ah, an instant classic :)
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 am UTC

Brilliant. What a way to start into a new day. With two minutes of continuous laughing. Thank you, xkcd.
Geek code:
GCS/M/S d-(--) s+: a--- C++(+++)>$ ULC++(+++) P+ L++(+++)>++++ !E W+++ N++ o K+ w>--- !O !M-- !V PS+(++) PE- Y+(++) PGP+++ t+ 5+++ !X R+ tv- b++ DI++ D+ G++ e->++++ h>+ r-- y--

wolfboy1988

Postby wolfboy1988 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:17 am UTC

Pirate331 wrote:Their love may be like a Brontosaurus, but can she do the Brontosaurus?

5 points to your house if you have any idea what I'm talking about..

No, but she can scream the heeby jeeby for us.

Kayube

Postby Kayube » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 am UTC

So, is he breaking up with her because she's a proponent of Intelligent Design?

cpp789

Postby cpp789 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 am UTC

Great comic!

Reminds me a lot of Bo Burnham's "Men & Women".

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

alitheiapsis wrote:
kingofdreams wrote:
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

I loves them.

So much.

verily, you have touched me deeply, a dinosaur I have anthropomorphized cannot cease to be a dinosaur screw popular consensus, belief perseverence ftw!

But how about those Pluto-is-still-a-planet fanatics? They need to get in touch with reality and GET OVER IT

Hey.

What if I went out and got an international consensus of anthropologists to agree that your mom is no longer a human, would that make it so?

Not cool man.

panzi

Postby panzi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

... In in case it is found in your house it turns out a lot smaller than in the movies.

anderov

Postby anderov » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

Not to piss on the parade... but I'm pretty sure "Brontosaurus" was a case of taxonomic precedence, not anatomic confusion. O. C. Marsh had already published Apatosaurus as the name of a juvenile specimen which the Brontosaurus specimen was later found to be conspecific with. They did use a Camarasaurus skull model in the original Brontosaurus mount, but that was just an educated guess based on known relatives, not really a "mistake".

Pity, cos "Brontosaurus" is obviously a much cooler name.

WK1

Postby WK1 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

Brontosaurus ... recognized as a mistaken combination long ago

Citation needed. In fact, I would go so far as to say you got the facts wrong.

From Wikipedia: In 1903, Elmer Riggs pointed out that Brontosaurus excelsus was in fact so similar to Apatosaurus ajax that it belonged in the same genus, and which Riggs re-classified as Apatosaurus excelsus. "Mistaken combination" sounds like you don't think that the bones go together how scientists say they do.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

When I read "perfect design", I was absolutely sure his response would be an epic reversal in defence of evolutionism.

But instead, this strip is just emo. Smart, but emo.

gamma-normids

Postby gamma-normids » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

Just yesterday, my friend wrote a post in his blag about velociraptors.. Randall... get out of his head! (?)

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

No, I think of our love like a two legged elephant named Tenderfoot. His whining could power a small city.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

Love is like a potato?

original joke wrote:roses only last like a couple weeks and that's if you leave them in water and they really only exist to be pretty so that's like saying "my love for you is transitory and based solely on your appearance". but a potato! potatos last for ever, man in fact, not only will they not rot, they actually grow shit even if you just leave them in the sack. that part alone makes it a good symbol but there's more!there are so many ways to enjoy a potato! you can even make a battery with it! and that's like saying "i have many ways in which I show my love for you" and potatos may be ugly, but they're still awesome so that's like saying "it doesn't matter at all what you look like, I'll still love you".
And now I have the potato song in my head.
This space intentionally left blank.

gullyvuhr

Rules for "Individual XKCD Comic Threads"

Postby gullyvuhr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

A velociraptor AND sex joke?

Some said it couldn't be done.
Last edited by Felstaff on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post in the correct thread next time!

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

Our love is like a pheonix.

"Because it always comes back from the ashes?"

No, because you're hot.

Wait, where are you going?

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

alitheiapsis wrote:
kingofdreams wrote:

I loves them.

So much.

verily, you have touched me deeply, a dinosaur I have anthropomorphized cannot cease to be a dinosaur screw popular consensus, belief perseverence ftw!

But how about those Pluto-is-still-a-planet fanatics? They need to get in touch with reality and GET OVER IT

Spoiler:
the matter has yet to be satisfyingly concluded (less than 5% of astronomers actively advocated the switch the issue will officially be raised again in a few years), Pluto can still clear its orbit in time, it will obviously take longer based on its size, its based on a rather stretched interpretation, Earth, Mars and Jupiter share orbits with an asteroid belts, no one seems to think they shouldn't be planets, but I digress.
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:'brontosaurus' is an obsolete synonym of apatosaurus

this.

It's a synonym. The comic fails because it repeats the "mistaken/fake combination of one head with another body" meme when in reality it's just like so many other cases where the cooler name loses out because someone else got there first.

It's not even the same species - it's just that the newly discovered species turned out to be the same genus as the existing Apatosaurus ajax.

Now, there was a composite skull which turned out to be different from how the actual skull looked like, but that's very different from "took the skull of some other random thing and put it on an A. ajax body and thought it was a new species"

I would like to propose a compromise. Just as "Dog" is the common name for Canis lupus familiaris, let "Brontosaurus" be the common name for Apatosaurus excelsus.

psypete

Postby psypete » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Hahaha. Some day i'm going to break up with someone using this comic.

Randall, get out of my future!

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

psypete wrote:Hahaha. Some day i'm going to break up with someone using this comic.

psypete - get out of my head.

"Recognized as a mistaken combination long ago ..." Been there, done that.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Spen

Postby Spen » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

Absolutely killed my self reading the alt text, bloomin' brilliant!

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

Amusing, did see the raptor reference coming, but, duh, it is a xkcd comic after all. I'd be worried about the frequent reader who did not see it coming.
If she didn't break up with him after his comment, her comeback about making light of a velociraptor* in the house would have definitely ended things.

Also, shouldn't that guy have a black hat on? Or did he need to say something about her sister to be a Classhole?

* - FF dictionary is claiming velociraptor is misspelled... it's *them* isn't it?!?
velocipede
velocity
raptor
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

psypete wrote:Hahaha. Some day i'm going to break up with someone using this comic.

Randall, get out of my future!

I've come from 1968 to tell you that this doesn't work out so well for you.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Joran

Postby Joran » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

A somewhat similar riff from Paul and Storm:

http://www.paulandstorm.com/lyrics/your-love-is/

I like Brontosaurus as a name; just like I call Bison, "Buffalo", and Orcas, "Killer Whales".

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

sircheeziusbreezius wrote:
Kimmeh wrote:Introspection: Why is it when a comic is late I can't just do something else for a bit? I've got to sit here and refresh a trillion times? Anyone else have this problem?

i know how you feel. im not sure how late the comic was though

It's hard to tell; as far as the server is concerned, it was up on time, the server clock hang.

If you are running a *nix box, this command will tell you the number of seconds different between your system clock and the server:

Code: Select all

expr $(date -u +%s) - $(date -ud "`curl -I xkcd.com | sed -n 's/Date: //p'`" +%s)

I'm getting 634-635 sec (half-second difference/net latency). This is 10min 34-35 sec.
Now, that of course assumes your clock and the server clock were in sync before last night (you don't have to worry about timezone, though).
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Coincidences on top of coincidences, I just came here to post this and this which I just found randomly today because TMBG had a facebook post about a separate video from "here comes science" and then watching that I saw the "I am a Paleontologist" video link (HOLY CRAP "here comes science" like everything we ever wanted from them) which I thought was a great coincidence because I had a Buffy the Vampire Slayer - like dream about a high school being attacked by a monster that was a Triceratops fossil. At the end point we ended up in a part of the school that had a bunch of other dinosaur fossils, and we discovered that the triceratops monster "spirit" or something could hop into and control any fossil, and we were pretty SOL. Oh holy crap, ok and I also just realized the shirt I randomly pulled out of my drawer today and am wearing is my fossil fuel Threadless shirt.

Also this comic was both amusing and cruel. I really enjoyed the alt text.
Last edited by Sprocket on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

vidd

Postby vidd » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

and thusly, El Ran'd'all wins the intertubes. again.

oh, and hurray for misplaced affection! Get it where you can find it, kids.

wolfboy1988

Postby wolfboy1988 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

vidd wrote:and thusly, El Ran'd'all wins the intertubes. again.

oh, and hurray for misplaced affection! Get it where you can find it, kids.

What about genuine affection?

Faranya

Re: Rules for "Individual XKCD Comic Threads"

Postby Faranya » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:25 am UTC

gullyvuhr wrote:A velociraptor AND sex joke?

Some said it couldn't be done.

No, they said it shouldn't be done.

Because Cretaceous bestiality is not humourous in the slightest.

Username4242
Location: (Previously) Montana State University--Bozeman, Montana.

Postby Username4242 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:42 am UTC

One Cretaceous resident out of two isn't too bad. :D

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:02 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:Coincidences on top of coincidences, I just came here to post this and this which I just found randomly today because TMBG had a facebook post about a separate video from "here comes science" and then watching that I saw the "I am a Paleontologist" video link (HOLY CRAP "here comes science" like everything we ever wanted from them) which I thought was a great coincidence because I had a Buffy the Vampire Slayer - like dream about a high school being attacked by a monster that was a Triceratops fossil. At the end point we ended up in a part of the school that had a bunch of other dinosaur fossils, and we discovered that the triceratops monster "spirit" or something could hop into and control any fossil, and we were pretty SOL. Oh holy crap, ok and I also just realized the shirt I randomly pulled out of my drawer today and am wearing is my fossil fuel Threadless shirt.

Also this comic was both amusing and cruel. I really enjoyed the alt text.

So I checked FB because I haven't in days, and checked for the TMBG post and there was the video for Computer Assisted Design and low and behold there was a Robot Dino that looked like a Brontosaurus... Thank you John and John... TMBG FTW!
And thank you Sprocket for the heads up on the new TMBG post. :mrgreen:
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

guyy

Postby guyy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:45 am UTC

alitheiapsis wrote:But how about those Pluto-is-still-a-planet fanatics? They need to get in touch with reality and GET OVER IT

Their love is like the ninth planet: cold, lifeless, and incorrectly labeled.

:D

Also, 300 posts, blah blah, something about this being Sparta, kick random guy into bottomless pit.

wolfboy1988

Postby wolfboy1988 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 am UTC

guyy wrote:
alitheiapsis wrote:But how about those Pluto-is-still-a-planet fanatics? They need to get in touch with reality and GET OVER IT

Their love is like the ninth planet: cold, lifeless, and incorrectly labeled.

:D

Also, 300 posts, blah blah, something about this being Sparta, kick random guy into bottomless pit.

*falls to his death into the bottomless pit*

keithc

Postby keithc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:55 am UTC

Spen wrote:Absolutely killed my self reading the alt text, bloomin' brilliant!

Is this the first post from the afterlife?

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:Now, there was a composite skull which turned out to be different from how the actual skull looked like, but that's very different from "took the skull of some other random thing and put it on an A. ajax body and thought it was a new species"

I would like to propose a compromise. Just as "Dog" is the common name for Canis lupus familiaris, let "Brontosaurus" be the common name for Apatosaurus excelsus.

I've scoured the Internet and found stories that go the "took some skull of some other random thing and put it on"... The most detailed one I found to date is from a Creationist Site, Apologetics Press, that isn't so hard on Marsh:

Marsh no doubt meant well. And his logic seemed sound. But the bottom line is that from 1879 until 1975, museums had the wrong dinosaur head on the wrong dinosaur body, because their assumptions were invalid and their logic wasn’t sound. Kind of makes you think, doesn’t it?

Well, I have to admit it does. Composite fossile mounts should have the guessed parts clearly indicated, not made to look like they are actual parts of the fossile. According to the Apologetics Press articleNeither Apatosaurus or Brontosaurus had actual fossile heads until Apatosaurus lousie was found.

As for the common name/scientific name criterium being applied to brontosaurus/Apatosaurus sp., I think you're on the money. Nobody goes around calling dogs Canis or orcas Orcinus. Why not have the same with extinct dinosaurs, as they become about as familiar as the extant ones (birds)?

Wow. 100th post. Damn recession.
Chaos Reigns!

vibes

Postby vibes » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

heh, if you type "brontosaurus" into google, guess who's made second after wikipedia? :mrgreen:

John

Postby John » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

alitheiapsis wrote:
kingofdreams wrote:

I loves them.

So much.

You realise just about every image you have of dinosaurs is wrong and that they were all covered in feathers?

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

vibes wrote:heh, if you type "brontosaurus" into google, guess who's made second after wikipedia? :mrgreen:

Impressive. That's on Google.co.uk; it still shows on Google.com's first hits though: Image
Chaos Reigns!

Jugulum

Postby Jugulum » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

Our love is like a platypus: Cobbled together from spare parts, and a clear demonstration that God has a sense of humor.

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:38 pm UTC

Joran wrote:Orcas, "Killer Whales".

Killer Whale just sounds so much more badass than "Orca".

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:
Joran wrote:Orcas, "Killer Whales".

Killer Whale just sounds so much more badass than "Orca".

Even though it's not really a whale, but a dolphin...
Chaos Reigns!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”