0637: "Scribblenauts"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lorenith

Re: "Scribblenauts" Discussion

Postby lorenith » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:06 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:But for a DS game to steal $50-$70 out of my wallet

I don't know where you're getting your DS games from but it sounds like someone is ripping you off pretty good. DS games rarely go over 35ish (USD not really very much at all), and are often cheaper.

Also, I don't quite get this particular comic, but meh. I don't feel very interested in scribble naughts either, I might give it a try sometime though...when I have money.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:05 am UTC

lorenith wrote:
ThemePark wrote:But for a DS game to steal $50-$70 out of my wallet

I don't know where you're getting your DS games from but it sounds like someone is ripping you off pretty good. DS games rarely go over 35ish (USD not really very much at all), and are often cheaper.

Also, I don't quite get this particular comic, but meh. I don't feel very interested in scribble naughts either, I might give it a try sometime though...when I have money.

Yeah, I really should buy games online more often.

But actually, I'm not being ripped off. That is the standard price in Denmark where I'm from, and converted to USD. Usually I'm too impatient to wait 2 weeks for a game to arrive, so I often end up buying it at the store. Half of the games are actually bought "just looking", and then I come across some strange game that I must buy if only for that reason.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

punto wrote:keep in mind that all this talk about how the large hadron collider is perfectly safe is assuming it's being operated by qualified scientists.. who knows what could happen if you let some random dude turn it on.

Or some evil mad scientist.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

Ghandi 2 wrote:
Zylon wrote:Who got Penny Arcade in my XKCD? :|

Penny Arcade would never have a joke that lame. :P

True, Penny Arcade wouldn't have a joke at all. Just someone screaming "FUCK" in a blind rage.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

I want to know how much they paid the poor artist who had to come up with every freaking NOUN imaginable... and then the poor AI programmer who had to program every freaking NOUN.....

Does anyone have the total number of nouns in the game?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:True, Penny Arcade wouldn't have a joke at all. Just someone screaming "FUCK" in a blind rage.

Or perhaps sighing like an emo?

Duban

Postby Duban » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

I'm surprized I'm hearing complaints about the DS. Every game I've gotten for it hasn't disappointed me yet. Here are a few of my Favorites.

Advance Wars: Dual strike "wouldn't touch days of ruin though"
Luminous Arc "Tactics game, fun if you're into that kind of thing"
Megaman Zx and Zx Advent "Old school side scrolling action, Awesome"
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker "Plays like Pokemon but a little bit more RPG like, and more customization of moves and abilities"
Digimon World: Dawn/Dusk "An RPG with a practically endless set of quests and lots to do, the game even continues after you've beaten it"

Honestly i've loved all the games i've gotten so far. You just have to know how to pick out the right games. Oh and Model L > all. Most damage per uncharged attack, and the widest arc of any melee weapon. It's actually practical to blow up the armored balls that explode on contact with model L without taking damage.
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

KingErroneous

Postby KingErroneous » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

QuarterToTomorrow wrote:
WRONG. The LHC probably will create a black hole. Just one that's 10-34m in diameter. And it wasn't created just to find the Higgs boson; that's just one of the high energy phenomena that might arise. Other shit that might happen is Grand Unification (the unification of the weak nuclear, strong nuclear and electromagnetic interactions that should happen above 1014 GeV), which is far more important than finding the Higgs. All finding the Higgs would achieve is to patch up some holes in the Electroweak theory (a small subset of Grand Unification, which connects the Electromagnetic and Weak interactions; the holes arise because the symmetry is broken in that Electrons, which control electromagnetism, are tiny whereas the W and Z bosons for the Weak field are huge), not a "Theory of Everything". A Theory of Everything in the conventional particle physics sense unifies the Electronuclear field (from the Grand Unified Theory) with the Gravitational field, and would require energies of over 1019GeV (the Planck energy).

I'm looking forward to seeing what my life will be like in the year 2031.

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

KingErroneous wrote:
QuarterToTomorrow wrote:
WRONG. The LHC probably will create a black hole. Just one that's 10-34m in diameter. And it wasn't created just to find the Higgs boson; that's just one of the high energy phenomena that might arise. Other shit that might happen is Grand Unification (the unification of the weak nuclear, strong nuclear and electromagnetic interactions that should happen above 1014 GeV), which is far more important than finding the Higgs. All finding the Higgs would achieve is to patch up some holes in the Electroweak theory (a small subset of Grand Unification, which connects the Electromagnetic and Weak interactions; the holes arise because the symmetry is broken in that Electrons, which control electromagnetism, are tiny whereas the W and Z bosons for the Weak field are huge), not a "Theory of Everything". A Theory of Everything in the conventional particle physics sense unifies the Electronuclear field (from the Grand Unified Theory) with the Gravitational field, and would require energies of over 1019GeV (the Planck energy).

I'm looking forward to seeing what my life will be like on December 22, 2012. :twisted:
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

Eth3real

Postby Eth3real » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

I totally didn't get this at first. I got the game and started playing it last night. Not only is it awesome, but I totally wasn't expecting the Large Hadron Collider to actually be in it... I typed it to amuse myself because of this comic. Just wow.
Then I understood the comic when I read it again. :)
It was an epic win all around!

rebmcr

Postby rebmcr » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

I would heartily recommend the Professor Layton games to anyone who enjoys xkcd.
Last edited by rebmcr on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

captaineddie

Postby captaineddie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

From WIki when I was looking up the game

The player may also chain objects together, such as chaining a piece of meat to a pole and holding it while riding on a raptor.[4]

I thought about you Randall!

lethesoda

Postby lethesoda » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

I think, now that Randall's influence has spread, the time has come.

Randall VS Oprah. The one who influences sales of a product more wins.
Spoiler:
Trapdoors. They make a difference.
The difference between "I'm leaving you" and "ZOMG YOU'RE A NINJA SWEET *secks*" -Kazuke

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Oh man. Large Steel Spike + Glue + Large Air Vent. Sure, it goes backwards of how physics would want it, but on the other hand... invincible moving death spike!
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

Exüberance

Postby Exüberance » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Words that are apparently in Scribblenaughts that I want to try: (but cannot since I don't own a DS :( )
  • LHC (The xkcd made me do it!)
  • Jupiter (does it destroy the world? I hope so!)
  • proton (does it do anything at all?)
  • pixel (wat?)
  • roflcopter (this will be... interesting?)
  • portal (too easy?)
  • apocalypse (instant loss?)
  • hole (that could be usefull)
  • event horizon (probably creates a black hole?)
  • everything (Uuummm... WAT?)
  • universe (Your guess is as good as mine)
  • whatchamacallit (random item?)
  • time machine (what could possibly go wrong?)
  • antimatter (hopefully enough of it for a really big boom)

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:01 am UTC

Zylon wrote:
Ghandi 2 wrote:
Zylon wrote:Who got Penny Arcade in my XKCD? :|

Penny Arcade would never have a joke that lame. :P

True, Penny Arcade wouldn't have a joke at all. Just someone screaming "FUCK" in a blind rage.

:roll:

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am UTC

umop ap!sdn wrote:
KingErroneous wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing what my life will be like on December 22, 2012. :twisted:

I'm looking forward to seeing what my life will be like on Fri 13 Dec 1901 02:45:52 PM CST Mon 18 Jan 2038 09:14:08 PM CST.

Code: Select all

awk 'BEGIN {print strftime("%c",2^31)}' /dev/null
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

virati

Postby virati » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:34 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
umop ap!sdn wrote:
KingErroneous wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing what my life will be like on Fri 13 Dec 1901 02:45:52 PM CST Mon 18 Jan 2038 09:14:08 PM CST.

awk 'BEGIN {print strftime("%c",2^31)}' /dev/null

I imagine it, along with all unix systems, would be the same. Now, exactly 24 hours AFTER that time... that'll really be interesting.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:19 am UTC

No, that's the right time. At least, assuming CST is UTC-6.

It's very early Tuesday morning (3:14:08 AM) UTC... so it'll be late Monday night, USA time.

Note, Unix timestamps are timezone-independent... right now is timestamp 1253251194, regardless of which timezone you're in. So, unlike Y2K and 2012 and such, it should happen everywhere at the same time, rather than following the timezones around the world.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

virati

Postby virati » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

phlip wrote:No, that's the right time. At least, assuming CST is UTC-6.

It's very early Tuesday morning (3:14:08 AM) UTC... so it'll be late Monday night, USA time.

Note, Unix timestamps are timezone-independent... right now is timestamp 1253251194, regardless of which timezone you're in. So, unlike Y2K and 2012 and such, it should happen everywhere at the same time, rather than following the timezones around the world.

Bah! CST! My foolish is showing... :(

Homncruse

Postby Homncruse » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:But for a DS game to steal $50-$70 out of my wallet, it has to be pretty damn awesome.
[...]
I would buy a lot more games if most games actually had a price that actually reflected the value of the game, instead of most games costing between $50-$70 dollars even when they're only worth $20, like rehashes of retro games.

Yikes! Exchange rates or import costs must be horrid... here in the U.S., DS games range from $20-$40, with the mode also being the median of $30. I agree, however, that MOST games for the DS are utter crap not worth the flimsy cardboard packaging everything comes in, but that's what you get with Nintendo systems these days (the same is true of the Wii)*. I wouldn't say the DS is a great sit-down-for-an-extended-gaming-session platform, but it's great if you have an hour or two to kill.

I really want to go pick up Scribblenauts now that I've read this thread. I only heard about the game the day prior to this comic going up during the rare time I actually watch TV commercials (I <3 TiVo), and it looked somewhat-interesting at the time, but they clearly advertised it as a game for kids.

* I'm not Nintendo-bashing; I actually own both a DS and a Wii, and none of the competing products in either category (e.g., PSP, XBox 360).

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

What do you know, the Penny Arcade on Scribblenauts was better. :P

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:00 am UTC

You seem to be using a strange definition of "better" of which I am unfamiliar...

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Kayube

Postby Kayube » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 am UTC

Yeah, the Penny Arcade one wasn't that great, because that's a joke that plenty of people made leading up to the game's release, and it was repeatedly shown that if you do that, you get a fake Starite that won't beat the level for you.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:22 am UTC

PvP jumped on the bandwagon as well.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:01 am UTC

i want scribblenuats so bad too bad my ds is teh broken
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

yoteango

Postby yoteango » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 am UTC

Why "your mom" such an ugly troll and "epic fail" a nuclear bomb?

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 am UTC

Exüberance wrote:Words that are apparently in Scribblenaughts that I want to try: (but cannot since I don't own a DS :( )

I give you your answers (spoilered, of course)
Spoiler:
  • LHC (The xkcd made me do it!) -> blackhole
  • Jupiter (does it destroy the world? I hope so!) -> planet that hangs in the background, not able to be interacted with
  • proton (does it do anything at all?) - same as electron, just a atom logo thingy.
  • pixel (wat?) -> did you mean PUTTY EXPLOSIVE? YES!
  • roflcopter (this will be... interesting?) -> a white helicopter, as opposed to 'helicopter' which is grey.
  • portal (too easy?) -> a portal... Oh me yarm Oh A MONSTER COMES OUT OF IT >_<
  • apocalypse (instant loss?) -> did you mean.. ASS? (donkey) (may have spelt it wrong)
  • hole (that could be usefull) -> same as abyse...
  • event horizon (probably creates a black hole?) -> blackhole - instadeath
  • everything (Uuummm... WAT?) -> black splot, instadeath... mm...
  • universe (Your guess is as good as mine) -> pretty stars ^_^
  • whatchamacallit (random item?) -> did you mean... (something realted to word you enter)
  • time machine (what could possibly go wrong?) > time machine!... flashing lights... and i get transported to a level with a dinosaur! (twas doing this all in sandbox)
  • antimatter (hopefully enough of it for a really big boom) > same as 'everything'

I bought this game because of this comic :D

p.s. boobs -> booby -> bird.
tits -> tit -> bird.
love -> lymphnode. :cry:

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

Kayube wrote:Yeah, the Penny Arcade one wasn't that great, because that's a joke that plenty of people made leading up to the game's release, and it was repeatedly shown that if you do that, you get a fake Starite that won't beat the level for you.

Except for one puzzle level where it will.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”