0642: "Creepy"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rubber314chicken

Re: "Creepy" Discussion

Postby rubber314chicken » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:31 am UTC

mache-b123 wrote:
Orca wrote:All right, let's all of us xkcd fans talk about how we are all insecure and introverted.

I wouldn't say I'm insecure as much as I'm not confident...

I'm fairly certain that one comes with the other, vice versa.[/quote]

Insecureness (is it right?) and self confidence aren't completely opposite, I guess.[/quote]

Psychology and a strong vocabulary have never been my strong points. Though I do know some random big words and work them into every day speech... like obfuscating... and chauvinistic...
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:34 am UTC

The only reason I know obfuscate is from my friends who play Vampires. I find it hard to work into my vocabulary a word that I so identify with something so specific.

mache-b123

Postby mache-b123 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:37 am UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:
mache-b123 wrote:
Orca wrote:I'm fairly certain that one comes with the other, vice versa.

Insecureness (is it right?) and self confidence aren't completely opposite, I guess.

Psychology and a strong vocabulary have never been my strong points. Though I do know some random big words and work them into every day speech... like obfuscating... and chauvinistic...

That kinda things (getting stuck with strange words) makes me think if I will ever pass the TOEFL.

And I guess nobody will get burned with this cheese.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:38 am UTC

mache-b123 wrote:
rubber314chicken wrote:
mache-b123 wrote:
Orca wrote:I'm fairly certain that one comes with the other, vice versa.

Insecureness (is it right?) and self confidence aren't completely opposite, I guess.

That kinda things (getting stuck with strange words) makes me think if I will ever pass the TOEFL.

And I guess nobody will get burned with this cheese.

The SAT reading? Writing? I think it is reading... the multiple choice one... also scares the crap out of me because I know like 3% of those words, and I'm also stuck having to make a very educated guess... and I freak out when I have to do that.
Official Thread-Jacker

justanotherboot

Postby justanotherboot » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:38 am UTC

Aww, too cute.
There was an article on the BBC News "Magazine" website about people falling in love on trains or public transit; it was really ...well, interesting and funny at the same time. That was just last week, actually; maybe that inspired this comic?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8259645.stm

The comments at the bottom of the article are fascinating, if statistically questionable. :)

guale

Postby guale » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:39 am UTC

First this comic made me awww, then for a split second made me think "You're an eighteen-year-old, heterosexual, male. You should not be awwing," but I quickly pushed that aside then realised that this is my love life.

kcwong

Postby kcwong » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:43 am UTC

Makes you wonder how many shy (and maybe cute) boys will read this comic, gather up courage and talk to cute girls, then have their photos placed on Facebook with warning messages.

mache-b123

Postby mache-b123 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:44 am UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:
The SAT reading? Writing? I think it is reading... the multiple choice one... also scares the crap out of me because I know like 3% of those words, and I'm also stuck having to make a very educated guess... and I freak out when I have to do that.

Not exactly SAT... See, I'm Colombian. I was born, raised and educated in spanish. Just... I wanna go to US or Canada for a M.Sc., but there is a test for foreign languagers like me, just to see if you're enough capable to understand what you could and should learn in your classes. So, there is an essay, a reading test, a speech test, and a listening test. That's more than enough to freak you out.

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:47 am UTC

Speaking as a girl who has a cute netbook for about a year now, I'm sort of in love with this comic. Slight tweaks on this happen all the time, my favorite being last week at a coffeeshop-

Guy: Wow cute netbook, how much does that weigh?
Me: About a kilo.
G: A key-low, what is that exactly?
M: A kilogram.
G: You say that and you're an American?
M: Yes...
G: Good for you! Well I usually say stuff in pounds, it makes it sound lighter...
M: It doesn't work that way, one kilogram is about two and a half pounds.
G: Wait, are you sure? Because I know when you measure distance on the road in miles versus kilometers...
M: Thats completely different!!

Needless to say, guy did not get lucky. :wink: Though with that gents seriously, it's ok to say hi to the gal next to you. Though if she starts playing with the cute netbook a lot all of a sudden while you're the driving force of the conversation it's probably time to stop.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:48 am UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:Randall, you are in my head!

Yeah, this is probably 80% of the reason I am still single...

This is probably 100 of the reason I am single.
I think it's 50% for me.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:49 am UTC

mache-b123 wrote:
rubber314chicken wrote:

Not exactly SAT... See, I'm Colombian. I was born, raised and educated in spanish. Just... I wanna go to US or Canada for a M.Sc., but there is a test for foreign languagers like me, just to see if you're enough capable to understand what you could and should learn in your classes. So, there is an essay, a reading test, a speech test, and a listening test. That's more than enough to freak you out.

Yea, even I'd be freaking out for that...
Official Thread-Jacker

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:49 am UTC

D'Awwwwww!!!!

blkballoon925

Postby blkballoon925 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:50 am UTC

This may be the best xkcd I've ever seen. Oh, how true it is. In fact, it may even top #513.

nekodromeda

Postby nekodromeda » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:02 am UTC

I wonder if this also applies to girls reading sci-fi books on public transit. Most of the time while I'm on the train, I'm either reading or listening to podcasts; so while it's easy to see books, it's much harder to approach someone listening to their headphones.

Perhaps this means I should start bringing my netbook with me more often and bringing it out on trips on the train? Hm.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Some of this happened to me a little while ago. Sat with a random person at lunch as I often do. She was busy studying as they usually are so we didn't really talk. Ran into them again a few hours later. Immediately she asks "are you stalking me?" It took me a few seconds to realize she was serious. Apparently the only way someone you don't know can run into you twice in one day is if they're a stalker. :roll:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

endolith

Postby endolith » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Oh, I see. The first three panels are imagined, too.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:09 am UTC

OK, so everybody* with a cute netbook should get this comic laser etched into the cover.

* who's single
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:14 am UTC

For some reason, this comic made me happy. In a sad way, perhaps. But I've got a smile on my face. And that's all that counts.

pgn674

Postby pgn674 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Here's a good way to approach this, if you really want to go for it:

First, have something to complement, such as a cute netbook. In your opening phrase, it'd be best to have her pronoun before yours, like "you're netbook is cute" instead of "I like your netbook". The second one sounds like you would like to take it away from her. Now, before going up to her, have an excuse to go away, out of talking space but within eyesight. You could continue walking to your seat, or be holding a newspaper when you go up to her, or have a group of friends further down the car.

Now go up, complement, and have some polite words of conversation sprouting from the comment. Usual stuff applies; look her in the eyes some, try and get some equal time for both of you speaking, etc. Then, excuse yourself (can be difficult, a good excuse probably would help), and go on to your escape. Don't look at her for a few minutes. A part of her mind will probably be on you for much of this time. Then, glance at her a few times, and when your eyes meet, smile and nod a bit (remember, this is from beyond speaking range). Then, what happens next depends on how it went, how you both feel, etc. You don't necessarily have to meet or see each other or talk to each other again, but both her and your day has just improved.

This way is nice because it doesn't creep her out by you staying by before she can put real though on you or if the conversation goes bad. Also, you don't have to be terribly smooth to be half decent at this.

Editer

Postby Editer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:25 am UTC

glasnt wrote:More importantly, where can you actually get wireless on a train? Lest she's using a nextG/equiv wireless card on her netbook, but that would make it stick out.. or it could be a new Dell Mini with it integrated... but then it's not a netbook, nor cute... :?

I recently visited the Northeast U.S. and noticed that some of the commuter trains had Wi-Fi. I read that Amtrak is testing Wi-Fi on its Acela service in that region as well. (FWIW Greyhound is putting wireless into some of its new buses, but the seats are so cramped that using anything larger than a BlackBerry is highly impractical.)
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

thret

Postby thret » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:27 am UTC

Just once I would like to pick up on public transport.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:30 am UTC

Tath wrote:Perhaps the third frame is where he's wrong.

It would be nice if they gave some kind of sign to let us know that we can make first contact.
Last edited by aquilo on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:32 am UTC

pgn674 wrote:Here's a good way to approach this, if you really want to go for it:

First, have something to complement, such as a cute netbook. In your opening phrase, it'd be best to have her pronoun before yours, like "you're netbook is cute" instead of "I like your netbook". The second one sounds like you would like to take it away from her. Now, before going up to her, have an excuse to go away, out of talking space but within eyesight. You could continue walking to your seat, or be holding a newspaper when you go up to her, or have a group of friends further down the car.

Now go up, complement, and have some polite words of conversation sprouting from the comment. Usual stuff applies; look her in the eyes some, try and get some equal time for both of you speaking, etc. Then, excuse yourself (can be difficult, a good excuse probably would help), and go on to your escape. Don't look at her for a few minutes. A part of her mind will probably be on you for much of this time. Then, glance at her a few times, and when your eyes meet, smile and nod a bit (remember, this is from beyond speaking range). Then, what happens next depends on how it went, how you both feel, etc. You don't necessarily have to meet or see each other or talk to each other again, but both her and your day has just improved.

This way is nice because it doesn't creep her out by you staying by before she can put real though on you or if the conversation goes bad. Also, you don't have to be terribly smooth to be half decent at this.

This type of thinking is pretty much why the comic exists.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:36 am UTC

kcwong wrote:Makes you wonder how many shy (and maybe cute) boys will read this comic, gather up courage and talk to cute girls, then have their photos placed on Facebook with warning messages.

Most of us shy guys also have an overly pessimistic self-image, so we'll just say that the last panel doesn't apply to us since we aren't "cute".

Parry_Lost

Postby Parry_Lost » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:39 am UTC

Y'all realise this comic is a lesson for girls as much as it is one for guys? Netbook girl knows she likes the guy, so she should just talk to him instead of trying to use futile round-about ways to get *him* to start talking.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am UTC

My cherry is popped, it's my first Randall in my head moment.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Alexander The 1st

Postby Alexander The 1st » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:02 am UTC

Y'all realise this comic is a lesson for girls as much as it is one for guys? Netbook girl knows she likes the guy, so she should just talk to him instead of trying to use futile round-about ways to get *him* to start talking.

Isn't that supposed to be Strike One?

~~~

Random movie reference aside, probably the most annoying thing for me is not knowing if "the girl" is currently in a relationship with someone else - small talk for a platonic relationship is easy - Mac vs. PC [Vs. Linux], Phantom power vs. Battery power, Red vs. Blue [Pkmn, Gen I, II, or III], Starcraft vs. WOW, Coffee vs. Pop, Illustrator vs. InDesign vs. PowerPoint, etc.. Generally, these are easy conversation points. The problem is in knowing whether or not the next step is viable, or if they'd want you to take the next step too.

Kinda makes me wish we had Sadie Hawkins' dances here - that'd help change a few constants of the equation of life. Maybe it doesn't always equal 42 then.
...YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING...

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:15 am UTC

This comic made me feel warm and gooey. Not quite warm and fuzzy, because it struck a little to close to home, but still a good feeling. A hopeful feeling.

As an aside, a lot of the intercity buses here have wifi. And 120VAC, as well, actually. Probably a good thing, since we have more road (and vastly more per capita) then pretty much anywhere in the world.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

saraid

Postby saraid » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:42 am UTC

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:46 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by Flying_Cookie on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Flying_CookieTM

guyy

Postby guyy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:47 am UTC

Dear nonexistent blog,

Randall's still in my head. I wish he'd get out of it.

Scorpio3002

Postby Scorpio3002 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:54 am UTC

I met a girl once that I really liked. We became friends, and I gradually developed a crush on her. EIGHT YEARS LATER, she finally got tired of waiting for me to make a move, and made it obvious that she has feelings for me. I had literally no idea that she felt the same way I did.

Knowing what I know now, I realize how lucky I was that she didn't just give up on me, and look for someone less oblivious, as many girls would probably do after a year or two. This is the bread and butter of adolescent tragedies. And after I peel away all my low self-esteem, I realize that she was just as lucky that I didn't walk away. For years, neither of us could muster up the courage to admit our feelings.

I'd like to address all the lonely guys and girls out there: fuck your low self-esteem, fuck your fear of rejection, fuck your preconceptions of gender roles; if you have feelings for somebody, it is your responsibility to be forward with those feelings.

chaos4ever

Postby chaos4ever » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Re: Comic: If only....

but after reading

Scorpio3002 wrote:I met a girl once that I really liked. We became friends, and I gradually developed a crush on her. EIGHT YEARS LATER, she finally got tired of waiting for me to make a move, and made it obvious that she has feelings for me. I had literally no idea that she felt the same way I did.

Knowing what I know now, I realize how lucky I was that she didn't just give up on me, and look for someone less oblivious, as many girls would probably do after a year or two. This is the bread and butter of adolescent tragedies. And after I peel away all my low self-esteem, I realize that she was just as lucky that I didn't walk away. For years, neither of us could muster up the courage to admit our feelings.

I'd like to address all the lonely guys and girls out there: fuck your low self-esteem, fuck your fear of rejection, fuck your preconceptions of gender roles; if you have feelings for somebody, it is your responsibility to be forward with those feelings.

now I think I know what it feels like to have Randall in my head.

Congrats, Scorpio. Glad to know that a story like this can exist and that you found her; and she, you. I'd love to ask for details, but probably shouldn't, as it'd most likely become a Densha Otoko on these forums. I'll just assume that the story has continued on with its happy ending and quietly move along.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:30 am UTC

I thought it was a bit dull and depressing, but then I read the alt text. That's what brought it all together. :)
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:00 am UTC

That is definitely how my mind works, and probably not how the world works.

Hell, in my day to day life, I rarely even get a chance to talk to anyone I don't know...:(
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Silverbolt

Postby Silverbolt » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:14 am UTC

Dear mister Munroe. Please stop making comics about me.

Thank you.
One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice
Cheap Rip-Off Comics Inc.

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:22 am UTC

This is me. Though of course I have no idea what the girl is thinking about me, so the fantasy MIGHT be a reality!

As for the comic specifically...
In the guy's defense, the girl is not doing any better. Just like him, if she wanted to talk to him, she should've spoken up. (though if that happened to me, I'd probably go crazy and jump out the window of the train/bus/whatever it is)
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

Roivas

Postby Roivas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:44 am UTC

This is pretty much my usual technique with the ladies. Vitreously stare at the girl and patiently psyche myself out of talking to her until the situation passes. Though the last panel is slightly less likely than the actual imagination scenario.

00Davo

Postby 00Davo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:50 am UTC

glasnt wrote:More importantly, where can you actually get wireless on a train? Lest she's using a nextG/equiv wireless card on her netbook, but that would make it stick out.. or it could be a new Dell Mini with it integrated... but then it's not a netbook, nor cute...

:?

Who said she's actually connected to the Internet? It's possible to write blog posts without posting them to your blog immediately, y'know. And that particular blog post would need editing if the cute guy happened to stop ignoring her anyway.

myoxisbroken

Postby myoxisbroken » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:48 am UTC

Alexander The 1st wrote:Random movie reference aside, probably the most annoying thing for me is not knowing if "the girl" is currently in a relationship with someone else - small talk for a platonic relationship is easy - Mac vs. PC [Vs. Linux], Phantom power vs. Battery power, Red vs. Blue [Pkmn, Gen I, II, or III], Starcraft vs. WOW, Coffee vs. Pop, Illustrator vs. InDesign vs. PowerPoint, etc.. Generally, these are easy conversation points. The problem is in knowing whether or not the next step is viable, or if they'd want you to take the next step too.

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. So it's annoying to talk to a girl because you don't know if you might get in her pants one day? Is it only worthwhile to talk to a girl if starting a relationship is viable? What's so inherently unpleasant about striking up conversations with cute girls who look like they could be vaguely interesting that it becomes this huge chore for so many of you? Suppose you strike up a conversation with a cute girl, she's interesting, and you ask if she has a boyfriend. If she doesn't, hooray for you, sir, and go for it. If she does, so what? You've still met an interesting person and made a potential new friend. Oh, but I forget that one only becomes friends with a girl if there's the possibility of sex. Anything else is just a waste of energy.

It's exactly this kind of thinking, fairly or unfairly, that makes me initially creeped out by most nerd-men who do talk to me. I have to assume that most of you are only out to get in my pants. Because so goddamn many of you believe, for whatever reason, that interacting with women is like solving a Rubik's cube that turns into a Fleshlight when you win.

Edit: Before I get accused of misandry: the girl in this comic is just as bad, if not worse, than the guy. Because she's bitching about her nonexistent problems to the world instead of keeping her self-pitying delusions in her head.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”