0642: "Creepy"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Freiberg

Re: "Creepy" Discussion

Postby Freiberg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:14 am UTC

kcwong wrote:Makes you wonder how many shy (and maybe cute) boys will read this comic, gather up courage and talk to cute girls, then have their photos placed on Facebook with warning messages.

Well, with me, the count's at least one...

SoulSkorpion

Postby SoulSkorpion » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:29 am UTC

Registered to say:

Awwwww!

I often feel exactly like the guy in the comic. Nice to know it's somewhat universal.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:00 am UTC

This comic has given me the idea of asking a girl from a Pizza shop out, we at least have something to talk about without it being creepy.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:06 am UTC

Andromeda321 wrote:Speaking as a girl who has a cute netbook for about a year now, I'm sort of in love with this comic. Slight tweaks on this happen all the time, my favorite being last week at a coffeeshop-

Guy: Wow cute netbook, how much does that weigh?
Me: About a kilo.
G: A key-low, what is that exactly?
M: A kilogram.
G: You say that and you're an American?
M: Yes...
G: Good for you! Well I usually say stuff in pounds, it makes it sound lighter...
M: It doesn't work that way, one kilogram is about two and a half pounds.
G: Wait, are you sure? Because I know when you measure distance on the road in miles versus kilometers...
M: Thats completely different!!

Needless to say, guy did not get lucky. :wink: Though with that gents seriously, it's ok to say hi to the gal next to you. Though if she starts playing with the cute netbook a lot all of a sudden while you're the driving force of the conversation it's probably time to stop.

That really only works in English. :(

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Some of this happened to me a little while ago. Sat with a random person at lunch as I often do. She was busy studying as they usually are so we didn't really talk. Ran into them again a few hours later. Immediately she asks "are you stalking me?" It took me a few seconds to realize she was serious. Apparently the only way someone you don't know can run into you twice in one day is if they're a stalker. :roll:

Aww, it sounds like it was meant to be. :D

aquilo wrote:
kcwong wrote:Makes you wonder how many shy (and maybe cute) boys will read this comic, gather up courage and talk to cute girls, then have their photos placed on Facebook with warning messages.

Most of us shy guys also have an overly pessimistic self-image, so we'll just say that the last panel doesn't apply to us since we aren't "cute".

I concur.

From time to time, I'll see a cute girl somewhere, on the bus, walking past me etc. Makes me want to go up to her and start to talk/flirt with her, but my low selfesteem of course doesn't let me. Fortunately this has been following me for so many years, that all those missed chances don't really bother me anymore. But it would be nice if I could some day muster up the courage.
Last edited by ThemePark on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

The Sticky-Note King

Postby The Sticky-Note King » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:13 am UTC

Like that xkcd strip taught us, where he was taken outside of "reality:" Taking wrong turns is the best idea ever!
01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01010111 01101111 01110010 01101100 01100100 00100001 00100000
Take that world! I'm totally deep and mystical now... Right?

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:43 am UTC

Do you guys watch Judd Apatow movies and think, "Gee, I'm awkward and/or not particularly good looking and/or don't have a lot going for me in general, just like these guys, but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know that I can still get the exceptionally attractive girl in the end"? Do you ever start to think that maybe the writers are specifically pandering to those feelings because they know you'll latch on to them at any opportunity?
I don't know what to do for you

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:47 am UTC

I don't think a comic title has ever resonated so much in me in xkcd's history. I mean, I am creeped out. Seriously? Is the egotistical wishful-thinking getting so hardcore to the point of producing strips like THAT? Either possibility is scary: Randall seriously thinks like that, or he's just catering for the folks who do. Either way is creepy, and I don't know which one is more.

What the hell, guys -- this is pretty much as bad as the Mary Sue fanfiction on the Harry Potter section of fanfiction.net: disgusting, self-absorbed wishful thinking. I get pretty frustrated when I see how certain forums and websites serve as a way to keep feeding this reclusive, "the world is against me" attitude, the tendency to blame the others for one's own weaknesses. People get contended with logging on to those places and moaning "ohhh, yeah, YOU understand me, people don't love me and think I'm weird just because I stalk girls on the street! But it's not my fault! The society makes me scared and insecure, but YOU guys understand me. I will never talk to anyone other than you" on and on, which keeps this cycle alive and active.

Some people just need a whack on the head. I know that because I got it, and it worked.

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

Randall, get out of my head please. This is exactly how I am with girls, I just refuse to accept that they would even slightly interested in me. And from my expieriences in the past, most girls I like usually aren't :(. Well, at least now I know this feeling is more common than I thought it was, makes me feel a bit better about how bad I am with talking to girls :).

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

Does anyone really post "creepy guy warnings" on facebook?
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

haliblix

Postby haliblix » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:27 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I don't think a comic title has ever resonated so much in me in xkcd's history. I mean, I am creeped out. Seriously? Is the egotistical wishful-thinking getting so hardcore to the point of producing strips like THAT? Either possibility is scary: Randall seriously thinks like that, or he's just catering for the folks who do. Either way is creepy, and I don't know which one is more.

What the hell, guys -- this is pretty much as bad as the Mary Sue fanfiction on the Harry Potter section of fanfiction.net: disgusting, self-absorbed wishful thinking. I get pretty frustrated when I see how certain forums and websites serve as a way to keep feeding this reclusive, "the world is against me" attitude, the tendency to blame the others for one's own weaknesses. People get contended with logging on to those places and moaning "ohhh, yeah, YOU understand me, people don't love me and think I'm weird just because I stalk girls on the street! But it's not my fault! The society makes me scared and insecure, but YOU guys understand me. I will never talk to anyone other than you" on and on, which keeps this cycle alive and active.

Some people just need a whack on the head. I know that because I got it, and it worked.

Do you get creeped out by the people that dress up at Star Trek conventions? The girls that are really obsessed with vampires? The cos-players at anime conventions? Furries? One could make the argument that they are all self-absorbed in wishful thinking. Your assumption that this strip panders to those who can blame society for making them scared and insecure is a false dichotomy. The comic plainly states that sometimes our own limiting beliefs prevents us from potentially great things. Randall is trying to get us out of being reclusive, not pander to it.

TL;DR? Lighten up Francis

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

haliblix wrote:Randall is trying to get us out of being reclusive, not pander to it.
Read the comments so far - they're, for the most part, along the lines of, "Oh Randall, get out of my head, this is just like me, thank goodness I'm not the only one."

People seem happy knowing their feelings are more universal than they (somehow) didn't realize, rather than feeling dismayed by the realization that they've wasted opportunities for new relationships. If this comic actually served to affect worldviews in any way, it seems only to allow people to be more content with their social awkwardness, not to overcome it.

LSN

Postby LSN » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

kevinchai wrote:That last few haven't been too great, but this one is a total "story of my life" for me. My mind just doesn't accept the possibility that people could be interested in me. This is why I don't speak.

Get out of my head, kevinchai!!

This comic is probably a good marketing tool for the "Just Shy" shirt...
Last edited by LSN on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenmaniac

Postby hiddenmaniac » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

I've been reading the comic since near the beginning (strip 60-ish) but haven't posted here in years. I had to come out and comment on this, though.

I'm always told the reason boys are shy are because they are afraid of "rejection." Bullshit. To me, being rejected hurts as much as a thousand lashes with a feather.

The comic *without* the end of the last panel (i. e. only the events in his thought bubble) are how every one of my conversations with girls went+ in high school, and the reason I don't talk to anybody who lives within 15 miles or so of where I grew up.

Now I'm in college, and I still can't get used to the fact that I can, in theory, approach a girl without dire consequences.

+ That isn't strictly true. Many girls were more physical with their reactions.

Edit: clarified, fixed spelling
There are things that don't exist.

snafubar

Postby snafubar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

Scorpio3002 wrote:I'd like to address all the lonely guys and girls out there: fuck your low self-esteem, fuck your fear of rejection, fuck your preconceptions of gender roles; if you have feelings for somebody, it is your responsibility to be forward with those feelings.

I absolutely agree. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose by leaving your feelings unsaid. My first major crush or love or whatever, when I was around 16, I never actually told, and I think looking back the results would likely have been good if I had. I was fortunate enough that with my 2nd when I was 17 or 18 I did tell him, and he returned my interest, and after that I resolved never to leave a romantic interest unresolved. If you look at it logically there is really no downside at least if you do it properly. Either they turn you down and then you know and you can put effort into getting over them and looking elsewhere, or they reciprocate and then you have what you wanted. Obviously there is a balance, you will not get good results from things like telling someone you just met you want to marry them. But if you have known someone for awhile casually there are ways to take proper steps to see if they are interested or not, or if they are a casual acquaintance like the people on the train in the comic there is nothing to be lost by saying hi and trying some small talk, and then asking them to coffee or something if it goes well.

To the people saying that this comic only affirms those who are like this, I can't say if that was or was not the intention, but I think the message you should get from it if you actually intend to improve your life is the one that the poster I quoted and I are saying. If you like someone there is a weirdly high chance they like you as well, but even if they don't if you try you will at least know and can move on with your life.

The scenario in which you try to talk to someone and they actually report to everyone they know that you are a creepy stalker is actually highly unlikely and mostly a device of various comedy. In reality if you do it in a rational manner you have nothing to lose by at least saying hi to someone, and if you know them even informing them of your interest in a proper manner (ask them on a casual date or whatever).
We are god's unwanted children, so be it!

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

And this is the reason why I'm so quiet. All the time. For everything.

Sadly, there are also girls who would react exactly like the guy thinks she would, and thus, us shy but sensitive types will never work up the courage to talk to cute netbook-holding girls on the tram.

Wait...netbook? Why a netbook? Those things are just like "laptop light", aren't they? Is it really worth it to buy a laptop just for surfing the net, when you'll never be able to do anything with the stuff that you find? I mean, I've never owned a netbook, so maybe there's a way to store things and send them to your actual computer, but I was under the impression that netbooks were kinda lame...

...And that's the other reason I'm quiet most of the time. :oops:
If you can read this, you are wasting your time.

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Hey everyone who's ever felt like this! Guess what I figured out last year! It really helps boost confidence.

Spoiler:
Noone gives a fuck what you do.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

Klvino

Postby Klvino » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

The comic is so true to life.

You don't want to reach out to others as it makes you creepy, but if you want to reach out, then you have no choice but to be creepy.
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Emperor_Z

Postby Emperor_Z » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

As true as this comic probably is, I can't help but think that it still doesn't apply to me. I believe that I am objectively unattractive to most of the populace, due to weight, and have a horribly narrow list of conversation points. I'm well aware that this is exactly the type of thinking that starts the problem, but surely there are many people who actually aren't cute at all and really would seem creepy. How am I supposed to know which one I fall into?

Ug, 19, never touched a relationship. My heart hurts, I think I'm gonna go lie down :cry:

aterimperator

Postby aterimperator » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

ohaus wrote:I think this is how every kid in high school with a crush on someone feels. This is basically the thought process that goes through my head any time I meet new people. Maybe it's just my poor self-image, or maybe I'm as ugly as I think I am, I dunno.
Too bad there isn't a way to actually find out if one is ugly or not. I mean, if you are ugly no one will ever want to tell you, so how on earth are you supposed to know?

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

This happens to me all the time.

I'm sitting next to a really cute girl with a really cute notebook (moleskin or computer...) and I think of flirting with her but then I realize:

1. I'm 41 years old.
2. I'm married.
3. I have two children.

4... "CREEEEEEEEEEEEEPY" (think Mai in My Neighbour Totoro)

Oddly, if I do flirt with women on the subway they flirt back. I guess people like being flirted with, even if it's obviously not going anywhere but downtown on the F train. (and by F train I literally mean the train labeled "F" that runs through Manhattan from Brooklyn).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

endolith

Postby endolith » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

pgn674 wrote:it'd be best to have her pronoun before yours, like "you're netbook is cute"

Your totally write.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

RANDALL, GET OUT OF MY HEAD. KTHX.
Spoiler:

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

Bah, talk to random people.

I do. And so do most other people here in Halifax. I was on the bus the other day and the entire front section got themselves into a conversation when they all realized that the others were also from Newfoundland.

Canada ftw :D

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Oddly enough, I can only flirt with girls with whom I would be not interested in pursuing a serious relationship.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

myoxisbroken wrote:Suppose you strike up a conversation with a cute girl, she's interesting, and you ask if she has a boyfriend. If she doesn't, hooray for you, sir, and go for it. If she does, so what? You've still met an interesting person and made a potential new friend. Oh, but I forget that one only becomes friends with a girl if there's the possibility of sex. Anything else is just a waste of energy.

The problem is that if you have a nice chat with her and then ask if she has a boyfriend, at that point she will likely react just like the woman in the first four panels of this comic, thus ruining any possibility for a friendship.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Andromeda321 wrote:...
G: Good for you! Well I usually say stuff in pounds, it makes it sound lighter...
M: It doesn't work that way, one kilogram is about two and a half pounds.
Needless to say, guy did not get lucky. :wink: ...

Well, the problem is obvious right there: "two and a half pounds". WTF? If you're going to get the second significant digit so egregiously wrong, I'd expect that the guy would give up on you. I mean, it's 2.20462... kg/lb; "about two pounds" would be more accurate and would communicate that you're rounding to just one place. The "and a half" both increases the (implied) precision and decreases the accuracy. What sensible geek guy would want to bother with a girl who gets such a common conversion so wrong?

(And if he keeps talking after that, it implies that he's mostly interested in something other than your brain. ;-)

turingmachinesarehot

Postby turingmachinesarehot » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

Kadzar wrote:Oddly enough, I can only flirt with girls with whom I would be not interested in pursuing a serious relationship.

Too true, its so much easier to gamble when there is nothing to lose.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

turingmachinesarehot wrote:
Kadzar wrote:Oddly enough, I can only flirt with girls with whom I would be not interested in pursuing a serious relationship.

Technically not called gambling if there's nothing to lose. Just called playing.
[hint, scary!]

Nintendon't

Postby Nintendon't » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:36 pm UTC

Damn you, Randall.

turingmachinesarehot

Postby turingmachinesarehot » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:

Technically not called gambling if there's nothing to lose. Just called playing.

But it does feel a lot better if I tell myself that I did take a risk. :P

Shale

Postby Shale » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:People seem happy knowing their feelings are more universal than they (somehow) didn't realize, rather than feeling dismayed by the realization that they've wasted opportunities for new relationships. If this comic actually served to affect worldviews in any way, it seems only to allow people to be more content with their social awkwardness, not to overcome it.

Misery loves company. Fact of life.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

The thing is, the fourth panel of his fantasy is an obvious joke, but the reality would probably be worse, in the same way showing up to class naked would have worse consequences than everyone laughing at you. She could easily get him kicked off the train; if she played her cards right, she could get him arrested. What's more, at the ages we're talking about, this has been hammered in the first day of every new college, in most jobs, and several times in high school. Would she? Probably not. But that's a hell of a risk to take for a girl you don't know.

hiddenmaniac

Postby hiddenmaniac » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:The thing is, the fourth panel of his fantasy is an obvious joke, but the reality would probably be worse, in the same way showing up to class naked would have worse consequences than everyone laughing at you. She could easily get him kicked off the train; if she played her cards right, she could get him arrested. What's more, at the ages we're talking about, this has been hammered in the first day of every new college, in most jobs, and several times in high school. Would she? Probably not. But that's a hell of a risk to take for a girl you don't know.

Is the response to

snafubar wrote:You have nothing to gain and everything to lose by leaving your feelings unsaid.

And similar comments. Like I said before: it isn't about self-esteem, image, or rejection; there is genuine fear of substantial consequences involved.The proportion of women who would get you in trouble is larger than most people think. As I said in my last post, I have run into several such women.
There are things that don't exist.

Drain

Postby Drain » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

10/10 Randall, exactly right.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:

But it does feel a lot better if I tell myself that I did take a risk. :P

In this case it's called "playing with yourself."

Enjoy.
[hint, scary!]

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Shale wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:People seem happy knowing their feelings are more universal than they (somehow) didn't realize, rather than feeling dismayed by the realization that they've wasted opportunities for new relationships. If this comic actually served to affect worldviews in any way, it seems only to allow people to be more content with their social awkwardness, not to overcome it.

Misery loves company. Fact of life.
I completely agree; that, however, is not the same as "Misery loves being given motivation to improve the situation" which the previous poster implied was the intent of the comic.

Really, it's nothing more than pandering to the very, very, well established social awkwardness faced by most young people, yet people are acting so surprised that it happens to apply to their life, or that it's some sort of revelation.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

Dear shallow, rude, unpleasant bitch. No, and now he never will. You should have learned that playing hard-to-get doesn't work a decade ago, when you said you didn't want sweeties and instead of making a fuss over you, Mummy took you at your word and you didn't get any.

Seriously, why would he even care? Her reaction has saved him from wasting any more time on her. What I want to know is why the last panel doesn't feature him saying "sorry, I mistook you for someone with manners" and walking off.

Much disliked comic, I'm afraid.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

:-D Yeah, we city dwellers generally operate on the "this person is just getting where they're going and doesn't want to be bothered" premise. I have had reasonably positive results from breaching this rule, but nothing more than a pleasant momentary discussion. Part of me totally wishes people would be more open to talking, and part of me is damn glad they aren't. Sometimes I wish I had a "Just Listening to music, not intentionally avoiding potential conversation, you can talk to me!" t-shirt.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

SunDawg

Postby SunDawg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

I think this shows what the guy in 235 was thinking when he didn't say anything.

Shale

Postby Shale » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:I completely agree; that, however, is not the same as "Misery loves being given motivation to improve the situation" which the previous poster implied was the intent of the comic.

Really, it's nothing more than pandering to the very, very, well established social awkwardness faced by most young people, yet people are acting so surprised that it happens to apply to their life, or that it's some sort of revelation.

Wait, are you attacking the comic or the response?

Also, cathrl, what the hell. How is Mr. why-won't-you-just-give-me-a-sign any less passive and pathetic thant he girl writing in her diary?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”