0644: "Surgery"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0644: "Surgery"

Postby aeris92 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Title text: Damn. Not only did he not install it, he sutured a 'Vista-Ready' sticker onto my arm.
http://xkcd.com/644/

I should really be studying for the two tests i have tomorrow. [getting distracted every 5 minutes by xkcd: volume 0 isn't helping either]
Last edited by aeris92 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
aeris92

Re: "Surgery" Discussion

Postby Kyros » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Made me giggle.

I should really be studying for the three tests i have tomorrow
Kyros

Postby ritvax » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:03 am UTC

I would go for backwards compatibility and go for an ADB port in my arm and a SCSI port in the back of my head.
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5
ritvax

Postby Hale » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:04 am UTC

To be glad I only have one test or sad that it will be easy?

On the topic of the comic: I got a chuckle.
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post. I also edit them.
Hale

Location: Las Cruces, NM, USoA; NA, Terra; Sol, Outer edge Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way.

Postby joee » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:05 am UTC

hi glasnt! Our meme has made it off the fora and onto irc. Now people are randomly saying "hi joee!" to me :)

and lol, this is *exactly* how *nix works. Can someone write an eye movement detector so I stop typing my gmail password into irc?
Hi glasnt.
joee

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:06 am UTC

I've wished for a USB connection to my brain, but I'm not a Linux user. In before "Get out of my USB-brain-connection Randall!" :P
Having the alt-text not restate the same joke in an equally unfunny way makes for a nice change.

I really should be studying for the premier of Stargate: Univese tomorrow.
hi joee and glasnt! How did that meme start anyhow? (your gmail password, that would be hunter2, right?)
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby Omegaton » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Totally don't have tests (or classes) tomorrow, suckaz.

A USB port to the brain could be useful it worked like the Matrix.
Omegaton

Postby lu6cifer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:14 am UTC

I liked this one, because I can relate: I just know that webcam will eventually work under ubuntu with a patch...
And yay, no tests for me tomorrow!
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."
lu6cifer

Postby glasnt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:18 am UTC

Hi joee! I'm glad you can be now greeted in other communication channels. People aren't scared to talk to you anymore.

This one made me giggle. And I didn't make it 3 for 3 this week on thread starting because I got out of bed just to read this comic and contribute to the discussion.

*goes back to bed, sick*
glasnt

Postby Simon17 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:21 am UTC

I guess all that can be said about this comic is that there were no cartoon boobs or vaginas.
Randall, get out of my trunk!
Simon17

Postby scikidus » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:24 am UTC

Aww, the first time I'm awake (barely albeit) for a comic upload, I miss it. Well, at least I'm on the first page of the discussion, for once.

Wasn't exactly funny, but I'll buy it. Also, why should n't you be able to run USB port from your nerves? If you have the nerves send small trigger which you control, can you not have those as imputs to some kind of adapter which would then send the data to a USB port?

What am I missing here, and where did I put that thumb drive?
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams
scikidus

neuro-compatability

Postby odie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:25 am UTC

im not a linux user, but im thinking that its about time they make software which is neuro-compatible. I mean come on, how long does it take!
on another note, i wonder how much storage space and ram my brain has.

P.S. i should probably be studying for those 7 end of year exams i have, oh wait I FINISHED THOSE YESTARDAY. :-)
odie

Postby aeris92 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:27 am UTC

glasnt wrote:I didn't make it 3 for 3 this week on thread starting because I got out of bed just to read this comic and contribute to the discussion.

I'm sorry to hear that, I started to wonder where everyone was when i realized you were missing. Seems were all sick - I've been lecturing friends about the fact that cold weather doesn't cause colds. I hope you get better!
aeris92

Postby The TJ » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:29 am UTC

I'd do it just to mess with people.

"Oh, you have some funny pictures to show me? Yeah, just put them on a USB and stick it in my arm."

Once they do, I'd hum for a minute, then laugh histarically.
Blokey wrote:John Carpenter is set to direct a Broadway musical about an uncompromising interstellar shape-shifter who is taught compassion and the finer points of culture by Kurt Russell. It is tentatively titled The Thing & I.
The TJ

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:30 am UTC

If Vista makes him stop attempting to modify his bodies.....software (errrr.......what happens when you get a Trojan in your brain anyway?) then I'm all for it.

Then again......Vista *shivers*
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Comic JK » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:33 am UTC

I liked this one a lot! Although there are better places to put a solid object than your arm...but that's just quibbling.

The danger comes when memes can cross over as viruses on your PC (and vice-versa...)
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.
Comic JK

Postby J the Ninja » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:46 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:Totally don't have tests (or classes) tomorrow, suckaz.

A USB port to the brain could be useful it worked like the Matrix.

USB is too slow That actually requires a PCIe x16 connector on the back of your head. The Matrix ones were just circular.
J the Ninja

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:49 am UTC

So, is he looking to be a USB host, or peripheral? I'm confused.

Also, Vista ready? Vista has people drivers already?

I'd opt for either OpenVMS or OpenBSD, myself, and a Firewire port. But that's just me.

Ninja'd by J the Ninja - Look into Intel Light Peak - seems like an ideal fit for Matrix use?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.
PhoenixEnigma

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:50 am UTC

I was going to suggest that USB is a complicated standard requiring constant polling, then I realized: Nerves don't supply 5V!

The caption text was weird: Is Randal suggesting getting your Vista-Certified hardware working under GNU/Linux is futile?

I initially thought that Vista Certification=DRM as well, but somebody working at Microsoft pointed me to the page describing the actual Logo Requirements (Can't find it again). The requirements for the "Vista Certified" mouse did not involve detecting Linux and refusing to work: It involved higher sensitivity and more buttons. That said, I hate the new side-scrolling wheels: They don't work well as a central mouse-button, making the 3-click copy&paste difficult.

Edit: It's GNU/Linux, not just "Linux."
Last edited by phillipsjk on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Did you get the number on that truck?
phillipsjk

Postby masher » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:51 am UTC

masher

Postby sargeras0000 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:58 am UTC

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice an abundance of semicolons in this comic?
sargeras0000

Postby brakos82 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Man, the future's gonna be awesome... 8)
Image Listen to the manic 8-bit laughter. LISTEN!
brakos82

Postby joee » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:08 am UTC

glasnt wrote:Hi joee! I'm glad you can be now greeted in other communication channels. People aren't scared to talk to you anymore.

This one made me giggle. And I didn't make it 3 for 3 this week on thread starting because I got out of bed just to read this comic and contribute to the discussion.

*goes back to bed, sick*

*brings chicken soup to glasnt*

why is there cheese in my post? edit: oh i see
Hi glasnt.
joee

Postby Roivas » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:10 am UTC

Well technically he is Vista ready, he's not compatible with it and no drivers will ever be made to support it. That's pretty damn prepared in my book.
Roivas

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:16 am UTC

joee wrote:Can someone write an eye movement detector so I stop typing my gmail password into irc?
You could probably hack the motion detection daemon so creatively named "motion".
Eternal Density wrote:(your gmail password, that would be hunter2, right?)
Who would use a bunch of stars as a password?

Also my interpretation was intending to be a host. Not sure how useful that is, really. I guess with wifi sticks and USB hard drives, it'd be nice, but I'd rather just be linked directly to my PC.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby dantman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:37 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:I was going to suggest that USB is a complicated standard requiring constant polling, then I realized: Nerves don't supply 5V!

The caption text was weird: Is Randal suggesting getting your Vista-Certified hardware working under Linux is futile?

I initially thought that Vista Certification=DRM as well, but somebody working at Microsoft pointed me to the page describing the actual Logo Requirements (Can't find it again). The requirements for the "Vista Certified" mouse did not involve detecting Linux and refusing to work: It involved higher sensitivity and more buttons. That said, I hate the new side-scrolling wheels: They don't work well as a central mouse-button, making the 3-click copy&paste difficult.

I remember something about someone developing something using RFID implanted in his arm which communicated externally. Something about using his own body to control a robotic arm iirc.
dantman

Postby mjc0961 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:45 am UTC

Hah, the alt-text about the Vista Ready sticker had me laughing my ass off. Very nice.
mjc0961

Postby LtBonzai » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:32 am UTC

*Dilatory, stupid comment relating to posting a comic on this forum rather than to the comic itself.*
LtBonzai

Postby Yla » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:50 am UTC

And if no patch comes out, you have a USB port in your arm. Seriously, how cool is that, even without functionality.

..I should really be studying for the test I have Monday.
Time is a face on the water.
Yla

Postby westrim » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:02 am UTC

aeris92 wrote:I should really be studying for the two tests i have tomorrow. [getting distracted every 5 minutes by xkcd: volume 0 isn't helping either]

Kyros wrote:I should really be studying for the three tests i have tomorrow

Hale wrote:To be glad I only have one test or sad that it will be easy?

Yla wrote:...I should really be studying for the test I have Monday.

Geez, am I the only one out of school here? (If only barely)

Randall wrote: Alt text (suck it purists!): Damn. Not only did he not install it, he sutured a 'Vista-Ready' sticker onto my arm.

Brooklynxman wrote:If Vista makes him stop attempting to modify his bodies.....software (errrr.......what happens when you get a Trojan in your brain anyway?) then I'm all for it. Then again......Vista *shivers*

Roivas wrote:Well technically he is Vista ready, he's not compatible with it and no drivers will ever be made to support it. That's pretty damn prepared in my book.

mjc0961 wrote:Hah, the alt-text about the Vista Ready sticker had me laughing my ass off. Very nice.

You know, all the Vista hate that persists to this day really cheeses me off. Contrary to Conventional Wisdom, it is NOT a bad OS. In fact, as someone who extensively used 98, 2000 (goddamn school), XP, and Vista, I can say with confidence that Vista was the best of those. Yes, better than XP.

Driver support? There are literally hundreds of thousands of peripherals out there and not all the companies deigned to respond when Microsoft asked. That it supported so many off the bat is impressive, and they took care of nearly all the rest within a couple months of launch. As the only OS line that puts up with this shit (Apple having their certification thing and Gnu-Linux being Gnu-Linux), all the crap Microsoft got over this was stupid. And XP had the same issues when IT launched- in fact, it had one that was much worse- no DVD support. At all. For the entire duration of the OSes existence. You wanted to play dvds or write them, you needed another program.

Price/ resources? Why the hell would you buy a new OS by itself and not get a computer with it preinstalled, and then bitch about it needing more resources than your system has? If you have the money to get a new OS, you have the money to get the damned RAM to support it. If you're building a system, the same logic applies. Otherwise, keep using your current rig until its too out moded and stop bitching. I used 98 at home until 2004. Oh, and sniggering Mac users, congratulations on that new 1500 hundred dollar laptop with 2 gigs of ram.

The Vista ready fiasco? Not MSes fault, it's the manufacturers who blatantly abused them and stuck them on machines that could barely run Basic. If you're too stupid to buy a new multi hundreds of dollars computers and NOT figure out that 512 megs of RAM won't cut it, you deserve to get fleeced (Same goes for anyone confused by five versions). Again, buttoned down in a couple months.

I'm sure I'm missing some other bit of CW that I'd be happy to shoot down if someone mentions it. The bottom line is that you DON'T judge an OS, especially one trying to buck the rut the company had been in for a dozen years design wise, by the first couple months; in fact, you shouldn't judge it until the first service pack. After that, fair game. And people forget this, but XP had all sorts of problems its first months too- opinions of it just didn't get set in stone during that time.

TL;DR Stop the blind hatred of Vista; it cheeses me off, man.
Last edited by westrim on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:07 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
westrim

Postby Fizzl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:03 am UTC

dantman wrote:I remember something about someone developing something using RFID implanted in his arm which communicated externally. Something about using his own body to control a robotic arm iirc.

This guy: http://www.kevinwarwick.com/ (I don't think that site is very up to date).

Also.. this comic has been done by the same guy, he broke his arm and when he found it needed to be pinned he persuaded the surgeon to hook some wires up to his nerve endings and was able to control and communicate.
He latter got a chip implanted that used wireless power from a gauntlet, apparently the nerves and soft tissue quick happily grew around it leaving little sockets when it was removed.
Next up was a chip for his wife as well and they were able to achieve basic communication via a wireless link.
The robot arm thing was in there somewhere, he used the chip to control the arm in the US while sitting in his UK office over an internet link.
Fizzl

Postby lundse » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:50 am UTC

Screw USB - I want a 802.11n-compliant brain.

AND I most definitely want the card and interface running Gnu/Linux - would you let something access your brain without a thousand geeks having peeked at the source code?
lundse

Re: neuro-compatability

Postby Random_guy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:00 am UTC

odie wrote:im not a linux user, but im thinking that its about time they make software which is neuro-compatible. I mean come on, how long does it take!

I'm working on it. It'll be done when it's ready :p

odie wrote:on another note, i wonder how much storage space and ram my brain has.

That would depend on whether you use double space or not. Just make sure not to run it twice, or your brain will melt.
Random_guy

Postby Mr. Burke » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:07 am UTC

lundse wrote:AND I most definitely want the card and interface running Gnu/Linux - would you let something access your brain without a thousand geeks having peeked at the source code?

That depends. Ten experts in the field would do just as well. I wouldn't want someone's private joke in my brainware either.
Mr. Burke

Postby liquid » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:07 am UTC

Well, even without drivers, he would still be able to recharge his ipod, or power something. Assuming his brain is capable of generating 5V between those nerves of course.
liquid

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:46 am UTC

I didn't know you could run Linux on a human brain. Is he perhaps using a VM for that to protect his underlying persona? I'd hate to end up getting imprinted over by a /etc folder.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby msimswil » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:46 am UTC

Get out of my head, Randall! Only this morning, in OR3, I was grafting computer spares into Linux users.

OK I'm lying. (It's not covered by Medicare.)

A wireless protocol would be safer. Any external port would be much more likely to lead to infection or rejection problems. Anything like the USB ports on my computers would be filled with dust and crumbs of melted cheese within minutes. An all-internal wireless (or inductive, if necessary) device could be coated in hydroxyapatite and grafted to a bone, with good long-term biocompatibility.

A sensible or even sane thing to do...? Well it's a web comic.

lundse wrote:AND I most definitely want the card and interface running Gnu/Linux - would you let something access your brain without a thousand geeks having peeked at the source code?

Oh yes? And have my BIOS filled with little easter eggs waiting to be activated at inappropriate moments? (There's probably a film I haven't seen depicting just such a scenario.)

Also worrisome is the prospect of having to do a full restart after a firmware upgrade. Imagine being on the helpdesk when that starts going wrong..."Apply electrodes to the patient's bare chest, and press Ctrl-Shift-Alt-'Shock' "
It seems that on April 29th 2010 I was in bed... with your sister.
msimswil

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:43 am UTC

Title text: FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU--- :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage
eviloatmeal

Postby davidhbrown » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

Too true. I could do 80% of my work in Linux (right now, I do about 10% in a virtual Ubuntu machine), but I really like having the drivers come from the manufacturer. Guess I'm just not trying hard enough.

ritvax wrote:I would go ... for an ADB port in my arm and a SCSI port in the back of my head.
Hah! Sounds like my old G4 tower which I outfitted with the SCSI PCI card from Apple, a Stealth serial port in the modem socket, and Griffin's iMate. It took me a long while to give up my Apple Adjustable Keyboard II.

msimswil wrote:...device could be coated in hydroxyapatite and grafted to a bone...
Given this a little thought, have you?
davidhbrown

Postby Mokele » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

Well, even without drivers, he would still be able to recharge his ipod, or power something. Assuming his brain is capable of generating 5V between those nerves of course

Unlikely. Getting a steady 5V of electrical potential would require cutting more nerve fibers than would really be a good idea. You *could* get that voltage, yes, but not without resulting sensory or motor deficits.

An all-internal wireless (or inductive, if necessary) device could be coated in hydroxyapatite and grafted to a bone, with good long-term biocompatibility.

Actually, bone would be a problem - your body is constant absorbing and re-depositing bone, and without osteocytes to regulate this, a hydroxyapatite implant would likely be broken down and redeposited elsewhere.

However, non-corroding metals work just fine - the body doesn't react to them, beyond forming connective tissue around them like it does anything. From pacemakers to artificial hip joints to the wires used to close your sternum after open-heart surgery, metal does just fine in the body.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti
Mokele

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads