0645: "RPS"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: "RPS" Discussion

Postby aion7 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:03 am UTC

crzftx wrote:Ketchup doesn't belong anywhere near hotdog.
Seriously. I enjoy actually tasting things that aren't ketchup. I like putting, brown mustard, onion, relish, tomato, sport peppers, celery salt, and sometimes sauerkraut on my hotchardogs/sausages. Good thing I'm around Chicago, where if you ask for ketchup you will be ejected from the premises.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

AislinKageno

Postby AislinKageno » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Gotta say I didn't get it, and it's been a while since there's been one of those. ._. Thanks for the people who linked to the wiki article, though. Always good to learn new things. (Getting more out of xkcd than I am out of the calculus assignment I ought to be doing right now.)
<insert awesome signature here!>

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:08 am UTC

odie wrote:i have to agree, more postfixins are needed, personally i like tomato sauce and onion on my hotdogs (for those Americans out there tomato sauce = ketchup)/quote]

...So what do you call the stuff you put on spaghetti? Because that's what tomato sauce means to us, and the reason we borrowed ketchup to refer to the condiment.

crzftx wrote:i have to agree, more postfixins are needed, personally i like tomato sauce mustard, sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers, a dash of celery salt, and onion on my hotdogs
Ketchup doesn't belong anywhere near hotdog.

Wait, you don't put tomato slices /wedges, peppers, and pickle spears ON the hot dog, do you? There's barely enough room for the other stuff. And ketchup is just there as a base flavor, don't get all high and mighty about it.

But then, I haven't had a hot dog in years, ever since I was old enough to understand that they are made basically from all the stuff not good enough for all the other meats, and only have sausages I know to not be made that way.
Last edited by westrim on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

squelart

Postby squelart » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:23 am UTC

Shouldn't the mustard have been next to the sausage? Looks like a weird postfix & infix mix!

crzftx

Postby crzftx » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:25 am UTC

Deleted
Last edited by crzftx on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:26 am UTC

Thank you fora for explaining this joke to me, and making me learn something.

In other news, Polish sausage tastes really darn good.

mache-b123

Postby mache-b123 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:57 am UTC

I was so lost with the joke, I first thought it was an Alan Kulwicki (via Polish Victory Lap) reference. I was almost compelled to come out here to say it... when I remembered that damn reverse troubles with a friend's HP 48G. God bless Texas Instruments and their TI89 Titanium. God bless them, undoubtely.

Amarsir

Postby Amarsir » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:01 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:I wish I knew that before reading this comic, because then I'd probably have found it hilarious.

Allow me to serve as a data point to the contrary. I knew RPN well enough to get the reference instantly. However...

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:10 am UTC

That sausage has some hot buns he can reverse, if you know what I mean.

Hi joee.

miggit999

Postby miggit999 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 am UTC

Didn't get it until I read the forum posts. Clever, clever...xkcd's always there to point out "ha! there is math stuff you don't know! glory is mine, n00b" in place of someone else that did the same a few years back. I liked the coloring even more though.
ImageImageImage

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:18 am UTC

I'm thinking about RPN all the freaking time, so I "got" this right away, but I'm still not sure how the joke works.
I guess the hot dog is the operator, and the buns are the operands?

Also, I can't believe my parent paid like $200 for a TI-89 Titanium and it won't even try RPN. To re-iterate some posts I've already made, graphing calculators are a colossal scam, and a monopoly.

Tofu-Sama

Postby Tofu-Sama » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:27 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:To re-iterate some posts I've already made, graphing calculators are a colossal scam, and a monopoly.

Definitely a monopoly. The Faculty of Engineering at my university only certifies specific calculators (we have to get them stickered) for us to be able to use in tests, and they're all Texas Instruments. Then again, I've never used RPN, though it doesn't look like I'd particularly enjoy it.

Just Call me Tofu.

Two9A

Postby Two9A » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:00 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:I'm still not sure how the joke works. I guess the hot dog is the operator, and the buns are the operands?
Indeed; the operation goes thus:

Code: Select all

bun_left bun_right APPLY_SAUSAGE

At least, that's my reading of it.
The Unofficial "Making xkcd Slightly Worse" Archive [Incomplete]: xkcdsw.com
Articles that fall out of my head about once a month: imrannazar.com

virati

Postby virati » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:00 am UTC

Wow, Polish Sausage is already #30 in google trends... Didn't think that many people read xkcd

Theogrin

Postby Theogrin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Eat well, my friends, then go Forth and spread the word.

libra

Postby libra » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:39 am UTC

I got the joke before I came to the forum.

orangeperson

Postby orangeperson » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:47 am UTC

Theogrin wrote:Eat well, my friends, then go Forth and spread the word.

I thought the comic was very good, and I also appreciated that.
spjork.

extremelyhotcheese

Postby extremelyhotcheese » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:00 am UTC

I registered and logged in only to say that this comic was extremely unfunny (I understand it, but it's NOT funny).

Also, I'm pretty damn sure that L.O.L is what filters to the cheese is burning me or whatever.

lol

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:08 am UTC

Am I the only person here for whom RPS already has a well-defined, internet-specific meaning? I guess I spend too much time on fanfic sites...

I'm afraid a sausage seemed rather bland compared with the theme I was expecting.

stzein

Postby stzein » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:37 am UTC

Very funny. In my opinion larger stacks of foodstuffs are needed though: tomato, lettuce, sauce, onion, whatever (maybe make it a burger instead of a hot dog). You can make a nice mess of them. Like I usually do in 'dc' when I let my stack grow too large.

xorsyst

Postby xorsyst » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 am UTC

Zhentar wrote:The HP48G was clearly a superior calculator to the TI-83.

The G is for Gangsta.

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:12 am UTC

I got this only because my dad is an engineer, and tried to convince me to use an RPN-capable scientific calculator instead of a "conventional" scientific calculator on a few occasions in high school.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

WhiteAvenger

Postby WhiteAvenger » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 am UTC

I got it, but massive "Meh" to the comic. Not very funny, I thought.

shawtyudabest

Postby shawtyudabest » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:55 am UTC

And as I sit here and pay my bills with my HP 32SII. *squee*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-32S

Mine has the teal and lilac superscripts though, unlike the classic orange and blue, which I hated as a child, but now feel nostalgic for. Any other UIL calculator veterans on the forums?

slashme

Postby slashme » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:12 am UTC

Do you love RPN calculators? Does your phone do java? Get midp-calc.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:31 am UTC

Bun Sausage + Mustard +. Yep, needs more postfixin's.

I suggest Bun Knife / Butter + Sausage + Mustard + Fried Onions + Pickle 2 * + Coleslaw + Ketchup + 2 *
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am UTC

Wow really wish my dad told me why his calculator was funny. Well now I know.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

metalocalypse

Postby metalocalypse » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 am UTC

Finally!!!!

my first 'Randall get out of my head' moment!!!!!

been studying polish expressions at my college for a week now....
Spoiler:
^^ Click Click Clickity Click^^

cilix42

Postby cilix42 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:36 am UTC

Finally a truly awesome comic again! I sniggered heartily at this. Can't understand how people can find this not funny (at least if they get the joke). I also appreciate that this comic is more in the "true" XKCD spirit again than most of the recent ones.

vortmax

Postby vortmax » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

Zhentar wrote:The HP48G was clearly a superior calculator to the TI-83.

No truer words have been spoken.

You don't learn RPN, you unlearn infix. RPN is the natural language of your brain. Once you experience RPN enlightenment, you seriously wonder why anyone would even consider using an infix system.

The glorious thing about the 48G, which made it more then just a graphing calculator, was the stack. We need to petition HP to bring it back. My 48GX is still going strong, but have nightmares about it getting lost or broken.

Ocker3

Postby Ocker3 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:27 pm UTC

And here I came to make mention of how much colour was used in the comic, whereas we've mostly been seeing stick figures, it's a nice arc back to the more classic comics of yesteryear *getofmylawnhttp://www.youdamnkid.com/d/19990301.html* :evil:
"why change something that's broken in a way that you know it's broken" - Brett McGrath

RogerB

Postby RogerB » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

orangeperson wrote:
Theogrin wrote:Eat well, my friends, then go Forth and spread the word.

I thought the comic was very good, and I also appreciated that.

I have travelled here from 1955 to:

a) Claim my place on the Council of Elders.
b) say how funny that was Theogrin; though I have to admit that I missed it until I saw orangeperson's reply.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

Make me one with everything.*

* Said the Zen master.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

bridgeyman wrote:I was calculator shopping yesterday, and just barely explained Reverse Polish Notation to one of my friends! I guess this is my "get out of my head, Randall" moments.

One of the fun way to debunk claims about rationality in The Market is that a number of usability studies have shown that nearly everybody (except the occasional math wiz) can use RPN calculators more easily than the infix kind. But almost all commercially available calculators use infix notation. This is just one of many examples showing that the commercial world isn't concerned with usability.

This has led to at least one loss of mathematical understanding. Try asking people what the value of 2+2*2 is, and you'll see it. At least here in the US, nearly everyone now answers 8, and you can find it difficult to explain why the correct answer is 6. Very often, people will "prove" that you're wrong by picking up a calculator, typing "2+2*2=", and showing that the answer is 8. The calculator can't be wrong; it must be mathematics that's wrong.

One thing I like about that "proof by calculator" is that you type the '=' at the end, which looks very much like an RPN operator. If it were infix, you'd expect the calculator to wait until you type the result, and then it would show a T or F, depending on whether you typed the correct result. So "infix" calculators not only fail to calculate correctly by ignoring operator precedence; they actually implement a mixture of infix and RPN notation.

_codeMonkey

Postby _codeMonkey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

hahahahahahhahaha... so so so funny. ...but it needs more postfixins, hahahaha.

I've used HP calcs since freshman year in highschool (but I also took n number of CS classes in which I had to evaluate some expression tree, and postfix notation is very natural and logical way of describing such a thing).

_codeMonkey

Postby _codeMonkey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

No truer words have been spoken.

You don't learn RPN, you unlearn infix. RPN is the natural language of your brain. Once you experience RPN enlightenment, you seriously wonder why anyone would even consider using an infix system.

The glorious thing about the 48G, which made it more then just a graphing calculator, was the stack. We need to petition HP to bring it back. My 48GX is still going strong, but have nightmares about it getting lost or broken.

No truer words have been spoken about some true words

I run EMU 48 with the 50g script.
hp50g.jpg
hp50g.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 6024 times

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

jc wrote:
bridgeyman wrote:I was calculator shopping yesterday, and just barely explained Reverse Polish Notation to one of my friends! I guess this is my "get out of my head, Randall" moments.

One of the fun way to debunk claims about rationality in The Market is that a number of usability studies have shown that nearly everybody (except the occasional math wiz) can use RPN calculators more easily than the infix kind. But almost all commercially available calculators use infix notation. This is just one of many examples showing that the commercial world isn't concerned with usability.

This has led to at least one loss of mathematical understanding. Try asking people what the value of 2+2*2 is, and you'll see it. At least here in the US, nearly everyone now answers 8, and you can find it difficult to explain why the correct answer is 6. Very often, people will "prove" that you're wrong by picking up a calculator, typing "2+2*2=", and showing that the answer is 8. The calculator can't be wrong; it must be mathematics that's wrong.

One thing I like about that "proof by calculator" is that you type the '=' at the end, which looks very much like an RPN operator. If it were infix, you'd expect the calculator to wait until you type the result, and then it would show a T or F, depending on whether you typed the correct result. So "infix" calculators not only fail to calculate correctly by ignoring operator precedence; they actually implement a mixture of infix and RPN notation.

I remember reading a story about that. The frustrated person who knew about order of operations looked for some way to prove it, but didn't have a graphing calculator (which generally follow the rules), so he started up Excel. The consensus was that Excel is broken.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

jc wrote:One of the fun way to debunk claims about rationality in The Market is that a number of usability studies have shown that nearly everybody (except the occasional math wiz) can use RPN calculators more easily than the infix kind. But almost all commercially available calculators use infix notation. This is just one of many examples showing that the commercial world isn't concerned with usability.
People don't like to learn new stuff it they don't have to; since they're taught infix in school, they prefer infix calculators and thus they sell much better.
Most people are taught math in schools that couldn't care less about teaching kids anything.
Four-function calculators don't do precedence because they merely do stacked equations(ie, it's already forgotten the LHS of the equation by the time you hit '*'); a calculator that doesn't do calculations on-the-fly(like the aforementioned TI-8Xs) will actually get the right answer(I believe scientific calculators are this way).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Jenaroo

Postby Jenaroo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

And wikipedia saves me again. All hail the mighty wiki!

Honestly, I wish I had a mathematical brain... but I've accepted that, for me, mastering mathematics is more impossible than floating barrel boy finding a mommy.

Have a great day, all. :)

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

It's not hard.

1. Look at comic.
2. Frown in puzzlement.
3. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=reverse+polish
4. Look at comic again.
5. Smile.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”