0646: "Conversations"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

aeris92

0646: "Conversations"

Postby aeris92 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:02 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/646/

Title-text: If the dysentery graph looks historically inaccurate it's because I got all my data from Oregon Trail.

I cant believe no one made a discussion tonight. I hope you all have good excuses.
Last edited by aeris92 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pretzil

Re: "Conversations" Discussion

Postby pretzil » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 am UTC

ALT TEXT, 1st u take 2 mins then u forget alt text!

You edited it in later cheapo :)
Last edited by pretzil on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tath

Postby Tath » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:04 am UTC

anybody care to denote a value to what the y-axis is?

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:04 am UTC

I'm sure dysentery still occurs, but I can't tell because the graph apparently has 3 separate lines, but I can't tell where laptop starts and pooper-deaths end. :(

Nintendon't

Postby Nintendon't » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 am UTC

pretzil wrote:ALT TEXT, 1st u take 2 mins then u forget alt text!

English, please.
Also, I don't get this comic ><

Dasafrak

Postby Dasafrak » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 am UTC

What does it mean?!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Randall. If you draw on a tablet anyway, couldn't you make it neater? I thought there were only 2 lines at first.

EDIT: It means that there used to be lots of dysentery, so lots of conversations were on the toilet. Then that went away and not many conversations were on the toilet. Then laptops were invented and there were more conversations on the toilet again.
Last edited by The Scyphozoa on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:07 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Worst comic ever. The graph doesn't make any god-damned sense. Randy, what the hell were you thinking when you made this?

I've seen better SMBC graph comics for Christ's sake!
Randall, get out of my trunk!

aeris92

Postby aeris92 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:06 am UTC

glasnt wrote:I can't tell where laptop starts and pooper-deaths end. :(

It seems modern medicine led to the end of dysentery which was the direct cause of the creation of the laptop. People could finally go to bathroom with no pain and decided to make the best of their time in there.

pretzil wrote:ALT TEXT, 1st u take 2 mins then u forget alt text!

You edited it in later cheapo :)

You caught me... I was just shocked cause I loaded up xkcd and then I noticed it was exactly 12 but a thread hadn't been started! It seems my internal clock now runs on XKCD Standard Time.
Last edited by aeris92 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

westrim

Postby westrim » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Not very good. It looks like it was slapped together in about 5 minutes, and it took me a little bit to figure out what was meant (the upper line is the # of conversations and the lower line is both dysentery and laptop sales. Time is a non quantified abstract.) But it's screwed up because there's little detail to it and what is there is grossly off base. The timeline is obviously wrong- there at least should have been a zigzag between dysentery and laptops, and the angels of ascent and descent have no relation to reality. And who talks on laptops anyway, unless they're video chatting, in which case EW. It should have been cordless phones, because THAT I can believe. Sorry Randall, but this is a complete misfire. Next time make it look like you took more than 5 minutes to finish.
Last edited by westrim on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nintendon't

Postby Nintendon't » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:...Then laptops were invented and there were more conversations on the toilet again.

Now it all makes sense.

Tath

Postby Tath » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Ohhhhhh, I see the correlation now. That's tough. It's all in the shape of the graph. When _ goes up _ also goes up. down/down as well.

Heh.

Well damn, somebody else mentioned it.

joee

Postby joee » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:10 am UTC

glasnt wrote:I'm sure dysentery still occurs, but I can't tell because the graph apparently has 3 separate lines, but I can't tell where laptop starts and pooper-deaths end. :(

hi glasnt!

Also, I was hanging around for ages, about to yell at Randall, when I realised DST had kicked in for us and not for him, so comic-o-clock is not 3pm :(
Hi glasnt.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 am UTC

Yeah, this could have stood to be color-coded at least.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 am UTC

At first, I thought that the graph meant that people were taking shits and typing on their laptop at the same time and got shit all over their laptop keyboards, which increased the number of dysentary cases.

And what's the big deal with dysentary? Can't you just cure it with peppermint or something?
Randall, get out of my trunk!

westrim

Postby westrim » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 am UTC

joee wrote:
glasnt wrote:I'm sure dysentery still occurs, but I can't tell because the graph apparently has 3 separate lines, but I can't tell where laptop starts and pooper-deaths end. :(

hi glasnt!

Also, I was hanging around for ages, about to yell at Randall, when I realised DST had kicked in for us and not for him, so comic-o-clock is not 3pm :(

Where is "us?"

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 am UTC

westrim wrote:
joee wrote:

hi glasnt!

Where is "us?"

Australian East Coast.

Also, hi joee! How are you? I was here at 2pm too ^_^

ysqure3

Postby ysqure3 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Right. So, we've got an untitled graph (unless the title of the COMIC is also the title of the graph...) with an unlabelled y-axis, an X-axis whose only label is "TIME", and three sets of data (two of which are indistinguishable).

Just by the standards of "Is this graph legible?", 646 fails. And since the graph in 646 is illegible, it takes forever to parse what Randall probably thinks the joke is. Stop me if it's wrong, but it's something like...

1.) Talking while on the toilet used to be correlated with dysentery.
2.) Now it's not! Instead, it's correlated with laptops!
3.) Dysentery == Oregon Trail

Which, um, wow. Is he even trying? If not, it seems pretty ridiculous for him to simultaneously be dumping half a dozen new merch items on his fans.

westrim

Postby westrim » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:23 am UTC

glasnt wrote:
westrim wrote:
joee wrote:

hi glasnt!

Where is "us?"

Australian East Coast.

Oh. And really, 3 pm? That's only 6 hours past California (me), I thought you guys were 8 or 10 hours away. (Checks date map) Huh. That is really funky. Ah well, time is relative and all, I suppose.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:29 am UTC

aeris92 wrote:I cant believe no one made a discussion tonight. I hope you all have good excuses.

physics homework :(
This binder format doesn't work for me. You can't tell me ``Here's the homework, it will be due at the end of the chapter (a month)'', and not expect me to put it off until the last night.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Here in Perth, Western Australia, we get new xckd at noon. Which is awesome.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

Shale

Postby Shale » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:32 am UTC

I laughed. Also, I don't see how this is confusing. Not funny, sure, I can buy that, but it's simple enough to read.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Took me a minute to realize "dysentery cases" and "laptop sales" are two separate lines. Then it made sense. :-/
westrim wrote:And who talks on laptops anyway, unless they're video chatting, in which case EW. It should have been cordless phones, because THAT I can believe.
IRC.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:36 am UTC

aeris92 wrote:I cant believe no one made a discussion tonight. I hope you all have good excuses.
They were all on the toilet?

I make it a point not to have conversations while indisposed. And my laptop is a 17inch widescreen, so I don't actually use it on my lap much and certainly not in the loo. My new HTC Touch HD on the other hand...

Hi joee and glasnt! Yeah, I hate daylight savings for making my comic updates late :( And somehow it messed up my alarm this morning, even though it was right yesterday and I didn't change anything. Weird.
(I always put off my university assignments for as long as possible while handing them in just in time. I had some sort of instinct for how much procrastination I could get away with. They should have given me a medal for procrastination.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 am UTC

Comic needs more Hans Rosling.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:48 am UTC

westrim wrote:
glasnt wrote:
westrim wrote:
joee wrote:

hi glasnt!

Where is "us?"

Australian East Coast.

Oh. And really, 3 pm? That's only 6 hours past California (me), I thought you guys were 8 or 10 hours away. (Checks date map) Huh. That is really funky. Ah well, time is relative and all, I suppose.

We're usually +10 GMT (+11 for NSW, VIC at the moment, while QLD is still on +10), and California is on -8 normally, but currently on -7 (according to timeanddate.com) so we are 18 hours ahead at the moment (~2100 tuesday vs 1500 wednesday) , but it varies with Daylight Savings?

I am crap at world time differences, btw :(

mache-b123

Postby mache-b123 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:49 am UTC

And I thought it was weird to make a cellphone call from a toilet.

BTW, Randall, next time try to make it at least a little bit clear.

hcs

Postby hcs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:49 am UTC

Hm, and here I was expecting some sort of play on bathtub curve/toilet bowl curve.

SpikedMath

Postby SpikedMath » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 am UTC

I don't get it...
Is this implying people take their laptop to the bathroom? Do they?
Would it be better to put ... cell phones there instead?
Math - It's in you to give.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 am UTC

Tath wrote:anybody care to denote a value to what the y-axis is?

I think in all line graphs on the web with unlabelled y-axises we can assume that the y-axis represents the approximate numeric quantity.

curiousgeorgie

Postby curiousgeorgie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:52 am UTC

I think color coding would help. It took me a while to realize there were 3 lines.

Q_<

Postby Q_< » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 am UTC

Look, this is xkcd. All the characters are stick figures. Clearly all sloppiness is intended to be ironic.

joee

Postby joee » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:58 am UTC

glasnt wrote:
westrim wrote:
glasnt wrote:
westrim wrote:
joee wrote:

hi glasnt!

Where is "us?"

Australian East Coast.

We're usually +10 GMT (+11 for NSW, VIC at the moment, while QLD is still on +10), and California is on -8 normally, but currently on -7 (according to timeanddate.com) so we are 18 hours ahead at the moment (~2100 tuesday vs 1500 wednesday) , but it varies with Daylight Savings?

I am crap at world time differences, btw :(

I memorised them because I spend so much time online, on irc. <3 irc

Edit: Also, yes, when America starts DST we will be 1 more hour away (19 hr difference).
Last edited by joee on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hi glasnt.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:01 am UTC

joee wrote:

You get to get on refuge more :p

irc.oz.org FTW :D

joee

Postby joee » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:02 am UTC

glasnt wrote:
joee wrote:

You get to get on refuge more :p

irc.oz.org FTW :D

refuge? Also you're never on irc.oz.org except at night when it is very unsafe for anything (esp. joees)
Hi glasnt.

Emperor_Z

Postby Emperor_Z » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:04 am UTC

This comic could have been a lot more clear if he had just used differently-colored lines.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:09 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:EDIT: It means that there used to be lots of dysentery, so lots of conversations were on the toilet. Then that went away and not many conversations were on the toilet. Then laptops were invented and there were more conversations on the toilet again.

Didn't get it until I read this.

I feel sorta dumb, but since it looks I'm not the only person that didn't get it I don't feel so bad.

applesapplespears

Postby applesapplespears » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:09 am UTC

i think you're missing the point. it's funny because the sale of laptops follows the reemergence of conversation, not the other way around. inferring from the graph, people started buying laptops because they are having conversations while on the toilet again.

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:10 am UTC

Not impressed really. Vaguely amusing, but messy, not really a joke on anything and the Y-axis is just plain weird. This looks like it could be a drawn-last-minute-before-deadline comic.

aldld

Postby aldld » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:12 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Comic needs more Hans Rosling.

Everything needs more Hans Rosling.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”