0647: "Scary"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlueNight

Re: "Scary" Discussion

Postby BlueNight » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:48 am UTC

Wait... You mean that there are children right now, possibly reading this forum and responding in erudite tones, to whom The Lion King is as much "before their time" as The Rescuers was for me? To whom The Rescuers is as old as 101 Dalmations is to me?

Why do you want me to cry, Randall?
---------
BlueNight

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:54 am UTC

Iluvatar wrote:Man, the 9/11 thing got me. It seems like it was just a few years back, and we're still living in a "Post-9/11" world.

Come to think of it, I'm going to be really freaked out when I start having political discussions with marginally informed people who don't remember off the top of their head what '9/11' was. Considering the 8-year old in the comic, it won't be too long. :S

aeris92 wrote:I'm turning 18 next year and I've done nothing meaningful with my life - does that feeling ever go away?
Only if you do something meaningful with your life. At the moment, I've got my passion in life (software dev), my hobby (urban exploration), and my friends. Meaning in life, assuming one is not religious, is self-derrived- as such, life is like The Game: the only way to win is to decide you've won.

Cool. I try to go one step away from that: There is no game, no need to win. Life is a toy for us to play with as we please. And as we can, of course. Hence some long term goals.
Chaos Reigns!

Peripatetic

Postby Peripatetic » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:55 am UTC

Every August, Beloit College complies a list to create an impression of the mindset of the incoming freshman: http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2013.php

Some choice entries to make a lot of you (including me) feel old:

1. For these students, Martha Graham, Pan American Airways, Michael Landon, Dr. Seuss, Miles Davis, The Dallas Times Herald, Gene Roddenberry, and Freddie Mercury have always been dead.
2. Dan Rostenkowski, Jack Kevorkian, and Mike Tyson have always been felons.
3. The Green Giant has always been Shrek, not the big guy picking vegetables.
4. They have never used a card catalog to find a book.
7. Earvin "Magic" Johnson has always been HIV-positive.
8. Tattoos have always been very chic and highly visible.
10. Rap music has always been main stream.
13. The KGB has never officially existed.
17. They have never had to “shake down” an oral thermometer.
20. American students have always lived anxiously with high-stakes educational testing.
23. The European Union has always existed.
26. Cable television systems have always offered telephone service and vice versa.
28. The American health care system has always been in critical condition.
33. Their folks could always reach for a Zoloft.
34. They have always been able to read books on an electronic screen.
35. Women have always outnumbered men in college.
36. We have always watched wars, coups, and police arrests unfold on television in real time.
37. Amateur radio operators have never needed to know Morse code.
44. There have always been flat screen televisions.
50. Everyone has always known what the evening news was before the Evening News came on.
51. Britney Spears has always been heard on classic rock stations.
52. They have never been Saved by the Bell
72. Migration of once independent media like radio, TV, videos and compact discs to the computer has never amazed them.
73. Nobody has ever responded to “Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.”
75. There has always been blue Jell-O.

reegee

Postby reegee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 am UTC

I know this is sad but I wasn't freaked out by this, even though I was almost 22 on 9/11, what did freak me out was the Aladdin fact.. sad but true: in high school we voted him the hottest cartoon character ever!
I freaked out a few years ago when people working with me had never seen 21 jump street!!
"Well the product works first time 60% of the time"

wackojacko1138

Postby wackojacko1138 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Enough time has passed since 9/11 that Randall Munroe can include it in a joke on his webcomic without raising any eyebrows.
Before long, we'll have people born after xkcd.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:08 am UTC

That's not good scary, that's mean scary. D:
Peripatetic wrote:Every August, Beloit College complies a list to create an impression of the mindset of the incoming freshman: http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2013.php

snip
The wording of these statements just made me want to add "Oceana has always been at war with Eastasia" to the list.
Or was it Eurasia...
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

lewis1350

Postby lewis1350 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:09 am UTC

Surprisingly, I remember 9/11 fairly clearly. I had no idea what was going on at first. I was in 5th grade. I'm a college freshman now. Wow, I was in elementary school when it happened. -.-

I see people playing Pokémon around here on their computers. I'm like, dude, we played that soooooooooo long ago.

[Red version was the BEST!]

dtcoca2112

Postby dtcoca2112 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:09 am UTC

Registered just now to say that Mark Sanchez (quarterback for the New York Jets) is 12 days younger than me. I now feel like a failure.

captain2obvious
Location: Standing in line, waiting for the Justice League to accept my application

Postby captain2obvious » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:12 am UTC

wackojacko1138 wrote:Enough time has passed since 9/11 that Randall Munroe can include it in a joke on his webcomic without raising any eyebrows.
Before long, we'll have people born after xkcd.

That implies that xkcd will one day end.. I would be careful with my implications were I you. That could get you shot (or attacked by raptors).
Belial wrote:A misunderstanding? On the internet??!!? Say it ain't so, Superman!!!
Pseudonym wrote:Assuming we know everything is sheer arrogance, but assuming we know nothing is sheer absurdity.

Tolf

Postby Tolf » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:20 am UTC

Hey, I'm 15 and have memories with floppy disks and cassettes. =/ The earliest movie I remember coming out is toy story 2 and I remember watching 9/11 unfold at school on TV(I was 7 then? Even I feel old now.).

theEdge

Postby theEdge » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:23 am UTC

frezik wrote:and that I'm now far enough outside the age / 2 + 7 rule that I can no longer date an 18 year old.

fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Well, THAT'S what scared me the most today... shiat!

btw: It's now been 8 years since 9/11 and look at all that surveillance-bullcrap that has been going on ever since. Nobody seems to truly grasp the impact, this event had on our society and how many fucking excuses paranoid control-freaks-sons-of-bitches of politicians suddenly got at their hands to do whatever the fuck they want.

It's fear, motherfucker!

btw: excuse my bad language, I'm listening to rap music.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:26 am UTC

I'm feeling a lot better, thanks joee. I hope you are better too <3

On topic: Just last night, the boy was going through youtube to collect music to assult the voice chat on TF2 with <3

Listening through the old theme song tunes brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye:

- Round the Twist
- Bananaman
- Gumpy
- Lift Off
- SuperTed
- Roger Ramjet

Just to name a few ^_^

Heck, there are 13 year olds now that have never been around when Captain Planet was airing (fair call though, it still ran a lot after it stopped being produced)

saraid

Postby saraid » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:29 am UTC

Hahaha. Look at all the people scared of being considered old, even by themselves.

LSN

Postby LSN » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:31 am UTC

I had the thought a few weeks ago about how there are (or will soon be) kids who will have the same impression of VHS and music cassettes as I (just turned 21) do about whatever the hell Betamax and 8-track was. It was a weird feeling.

YenTheFirst

Postby YenTheFirst » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Kailen wrote:I recently got back into Magic:TG. I came to this realization when I was showing one of my opponents (Edit: He's 12) cards that were older than he is.

I recently got back into the game too. It kinda bugs me that I could have gotten in on the ground floor, and had some expensive Black Lotuses to show for it. :)

Simplex

Postby Simplex » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:52 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:That's not good scary, that's mean scary. D:
Peripatetic wrote:Every August, Beloit College complies a list to create an impression of the mindset of the incoming freshman: http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2013.php

snip
The wording of these statements just made me want to add "Oceana has always been at war with Eastasia" to the list.
Or was it Eurasia...

Haha, i was thinking the exact same thing :P

People that never lived without pokemon.... that scares me. :(

Ajtucker22

Postby Ajtucker22 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:57 am UTC

frezik wrote:
Me321 wrote:another one, the current college freshmen have only known 3 presidents.

That doesn't seem quite right. An 18 year old would be born in 1991, when Bush I was President, and then there's Clinton, Bush II, and Obama, making 4. Unless you're only counting Presidents who have so far served a full term.

Not a particularly unusual fact, in any case. A pair of two-term Presidents take up 16 years, and a third would be halfway through the term to make 18. The max would be 4 one-term Presidents plus a half term.

Naw, I'm 18. Never saw the first Bush as president, only Clinton. So that makes 3 presidents I've seen.

Cllerrry

Postby Cllerrry » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Stop it! My mind's still blown from stupid Jurassic Park one. 9/11 was two years ago at most.

gamma-normids

Postby gamma-normids » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:03 am UTC

schismtracer wrote:God dammit, 27 year-olds shouldn't feel old...yet here I am.

:(

Im 27. I'm actually... scared.

MichaelKarnerfors

Postby MichaelKarnerfors » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:04 am UTC

I'm old enough to...

- Remember when it was like living in the same neighbourhood as the Soviet Union.
- Have been taught in school about how they have apartheid in South Africa.
- Have USENET posts older than some of you.
- Have watched TV on a black & white set.
- Have watched V and Knight Rider (the original) and thought it was cool.

My kids...

- Have never seen a phone with a rotary dial, other than as a wreck in the junkbox in pre-school.
- Watch more kids programmes online than on the TV (their compy is right next to my own)
- At least the younger one, played some WoW when she had just turned 3 years old.

/Michael

Paulmichael

Postby Paulmichael » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 am UTC

To add to the scary factor...This is the 666th thread in this board.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:26 am UTC

whenever I can I still use floppys something about them is just so comforting.

edit: actually I remember first hearing about jump drives, and being really impressed by how many photos you could get on it (I had a camera that saved onto a floppy)
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

nico

Postby nico » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:35 am UTC

TheTedinator wrote:I've never been around at the birth of a discussion thread, so I'm surprised at how fast people post.

I wasn't around at the birth of this thread, and now I'm 28... scary!

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:37 am UTC

No! Bad Randall. I refuse to let go of my childhood. I still watch Chuck Jones cartoons on a regular basis! I can't be turning into a grown up, it's just not possible. I'm going to go eat a caramel apple pop and figure out when bugs bunny comes on next. Then I'm going to grab my game boy color with battery expansion pack and fire up some pokemon blue. After I've played that for a bit I'll bust out my NES and play some paperboy. My childhood will not fade into just a memory!
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:38 am UTC

The other day I had one of these moment after chatting with a first year at my university for a while before finding out that she was born in the '90s. Seriously, WTF? If you were born in the '90s you should be a little kid, and if you were born in the '00s you should be a baby.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:44 am UTC

I really like the reflection of the flashlight on Uncle Rob's face in the first panel. Nice attention to detail.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

rory_215

Postby rory_215 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:51 am UTC

This is almost as disquieting as when I found out my 12 year old Mario-loving cousin has never played any of the Nintendo consoles out before the Wii. It's so weird because his younger sister watches Full House, Saved By the Bell, the Look Who's Talking movies, and they both like Gumby. All of which they watch on dvds. They're living some warped version of my childhood and it's freaky.

msimswil

Postby msimswil » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:54 am UTC

A very good friend of mine turns 32 tomorrow. I once let slip that the first film I went to see at the cinema was Star Wars (Episode IV - A New Hope, as it has latterly come to be known) with my dad on its original release. She took great delight in pointing out that she wasn't born yet, then. Made me feel old, but, then, there's none of us going the other way.

aeris92 wrote:I'm turning 18 next year and I've done nothing meaningful with my life - does that feeling ever go away?

One suggestion: Learn first aid and become a fantastic First Responder. (Always carry a pair of nitrile gloves with you.) I did my first course when I was your age. Now there are two people still alive because I was there at the right time, and several more who would have had a much harder recovery without me.

Meanwhile...
George Bernard Shaw wrote:Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children.

Mark Twain wrote:Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Dave Barry wrote:I recently had my annual physical examination, which I get once every seven years, and when the nurse weighed me, I was shocked to discover how much stronger the Earth's gravitational pull has become since 1990.

Oscar Wilde wrote:To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable. - The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891
Last edited by msimswil on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It seems that on April 29th 2010 I was in bed... with your sister.

Bureaucromancer

Postby Bureaucromancer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Great, you've now contributed to the growing list of things that make me feel old, or at least dated.

Quite frankly this worries me given that I'm only 21, what's it going to be like in another 10 years?

Now the question is whether something is wrong with me, or the world? I think I'll go with the world for now and keep my own sense of sanity.

PS
More specifically I still have a hard time believing 9/11 was really almost 10 years ago. I was just thinking how recent it seems the other day, but then I went and read a new article from 03 and it struck me just how much has happened. I think we're in for one hell of a century somehow.

scenario3

Postby scenario3 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:03 am UTC

I recently turned 21, and I don't know if its because my parents weren't rich or if they were just always behind the times because I used things like VHS tapes and floppies for years. I was born into a household that had an NES.I literally didn't get my first flash drive until I was 16, my first cellphone until I was 18 (I can still remember when even beepers were a luxury), and my first iPod when I was 19. And I REALLY miss my Pog collection!

And until the day I die, I will always hold on to the facts that a.) there will NEVER be a fad as amazing as Pokemon, and b.) nothing is more impossible to program than a VCR.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:03 am UTC

This reminds me of the "I traveled here from xxxx" only this is more depressing.

I remember using DOS.
I remember wood paneling on the outside of cars.
My desk chair broke recently. I had been sitting on that chair for 20 years. It made me want to cry. Then I realized that that chair is older than many(most?) of the forumites here, and I wanted to shoot someone.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Al-pocalypse

Postby Al-pocalypse » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Definately a "Get out of my head Randall!" comic!

It's scary to think that there were kids born in 1991 who will have started univeristy this September!
Ali ;)

"If I were creating a world I wouldn't mess around with butterflies and daffodiles. I'd have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!"
[BOOM!]
"...sorry..."

msimswil

Postby msimswil » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:12 am UTC

What is this "cassette tape" you speak of?
It seems that on April 29th 2010 I was in bed... with your sister.

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:18 am UTC

Me321 wrote:Also this year's college freshmen were born after the fall of the berlin wall.

We all got over this at university in 1995/6 when we realised the next batch of 1st Years must all necessarily have been born AFTER Star Wars came out. :shock:
Last edited by TheoGB on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kyros

Postby Kyros » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:18 am UTC

I find it bad that some high school kids Dont even get this
http://www.bustedtees.com/blowme

Even worse.,,,,
Zelda Ocarina of time
Over ten years man

patricker

Postby patricker » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:22 am UTC

I don't know... I totally see 9/11 as being old, as well as toy story and pokemon. But what hit me was that the Matrix was released over 10 years ago!

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:26 am UTC

I was born about 8 years after September 11.
Did you get the number on that truck?

chishm

Postby chishm » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:28 am UTC

glasnt wrote:Listening through the old theme song tunes brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye:
- Round the Twist
- Bananaman
- Gumpy
- Lift Off
- SuperTed
- Roger Ramjet

You don't happen to be Australian do you? I remember all those shows from my youth, and you seem to have forgotten some:
- Johnson and Friends
- Fireman Sam
- Postman Pat
- The Trap Door

No, I'm not old. I still chew bubblegum.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:45 am UTC

Every so often, this tends to hit me, but mostly with music. Even bands that were popular when I was in highschool are starting to be unknown by the kids graduating now.

Sigh. It's kind of depressing. At least it means I can drink (legally, by a decent margin), which helps counter that.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:54 am UTC

i was born before tschernobyl. in fact i was five when it happened and i can clearly remember it. the sowjet union still existed back then, so i still have to remind myself that tschernobyl is in fact in the ukraine and not in what is left of russia.

also, pluto was a planet until 2006. considering the fact that kids hit school at age 6 there are now 9 year olds that have always learned about the 8 planets of our solar system.

i feel so old now *le sigh*

edit: i just looked up that wikipedia was founded in 2001. so there are now school kids that never did look up anything in an old encyclopedia that consisted of books filling several boards in a shelf.
Last edited by katakombe on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”