0647: "Scary"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Re: "Scary" Discussion

Postby 6453893 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:56 am UTC

Does anybody else get this particularly strongly with music/literature/film? Like, I can never know a world without Nevermind. It is an immutable fixture of my reality.

also, my whole life has happened concurrently with Radiohead's career. It will be a very odd day for me when they disband.

I have never shared the Earth with Samuel Beckett, or Sammy Davis Jr, or Salvador Dalí. For some reason this makes me feel very weird.

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:00 am UTC

The problem with 9/11 associations is that I associate that time period with Bush jr. I'm still uncertain whether that's a good thing or not.

Then again, considering that I also associate Bush jr to last year, that seems drastically more scary...

Seo

Postby Seo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:03 am UTC

Me321 wrote:
frezik wrote:
Me321 wrote:another one, the current college freshmen have only known 3 presidents.

That doesn't seem quite right. An 18 year old would be born in 1991, when Bush I was President, and then there's Clinton, Bush II, and Obama, making 4. Unless you're only counting Presidents who have so far served a full term.

Not a particularly unusual fact, in any case. A pair of two-term Presidents take up 16 years, and a third would be halfway through the term to make 18. The max would be 4 one-term Presidents plus a half term.

true, my math was off, but they were only 2 so they still only have rememberd 3 presidents, 2 before this year.

>>The max would be 4 one-term Presidents plus a half term

No, the max would be the last year of one term, 4 more full terms, and the first year of another term: 6 presidents, 18 years.

Right?

Edit: Not considering deaths, resignations, or removals from office of course.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:31 am UTC

May the thousands of innocent people who died as a result of the September 11th terrorist attacks rest in peace.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Patteroast

Postby Patteroast » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:40 am UTC

I was born in February '87 (little over a year after Challenger). I don't remember Reagan or Bush Sr. being president, so I guess I wasn't a very politically attentive five-year-old. :wink:

I was home "sick" from school on 9/11. Was 13 at the time. 22 now. Only since around that time that years seem to fly by instead of dragging forever.

I've been using the internet since 1998. I had floppies and a VCR. I didn't have an NES, but my friends did... I had a Genesis and do remember being excited when Sonic 3 came out. :lol:

The first album I owned was a cassette of the Lion King soundtrack, although I really got into music that was on the radio from about 1997-2000. (Barenaked Ladies are still my favorite band. :P )

I watched Nickelodeon when it was good. E.g.: Adventures of Pete and Pete.

Yeah, the kids today scare me about as much as what I just said would scare someone more than a few years older than me. :)

iain_benson

Postby iain_benson » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:40 am UTC

Has anyone in the UK been watching the BBC 4 series Digital Dreams - take a family, remodel their house take away all the tech and make them live in 1970, then advance a year each day giving them new stuff as it would have been developed - seriously scary stuff!

Fougare

Postby Fougare » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:45 am UTC

Kyros wrote:...
Even worse.,,,,
Zelda Ocarina of time
Over ten years man

This one's the one that just smacked me on the side of the head... I just had a conversation with some friends, the N64 is the last console I ever got, the fall before the christmas I got it I clearly remember going to the local target, the exact path every time, to walk over to the display and play star fox 64, and always take it to "macbeth" world where I would die, mostly cause the circulation back up my brain had stopped and my feet were about to fall asleep. Even to this day when I go to that now-remodeled target... i can still close my eyes and walk to the display and remember like it was yesterday... and its been over a decade!
ps, xbox, ps2, ps3?! I just might dust off the 64 tomorrow for an all-day classic super mario 64...

Though in all seriousness, I only look back and feel a bit melancholic, but in the end I enjoy being an "adult", so many more things we can do, like stay up till 2 am watching movies and replying to various forums, or log in during the day without getting yelled at for hogging up the phone line with dial-up...

The TJ

Postby The TJ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:47 am UTC

I don't think people are ever going to stop being surprised at how fast time moves...

I'll bet that in 1954 people were saying to themselves "Holy S**T! WWII was 10 years ago!"
Blokey wrote:John Carpenter is set to direct a Broadway musical about an uncompromising interstellar shape-shifter who is taught compassion and the finer points of culture by Kurt Russell. It is tentatively titled The Thing & I.

Eversist

Postby Eversist » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:51 am UTC

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but this is the 666th topic.

Wooooooo.~ Creepy. 8)

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:52 am UTC

You know what's even more depressing than "Oh me yarm I feel old"? A bunch of people 10-20 years younger than you going "Oh me yarm I feel old". :?

I'm 39. I was 7 when the original Star Wars came out. The first computer I owned was a ZX-81. I remember, when I got a floppy drive for my ZX Spectrum, wondering whether I'd need more than 5 disks; after all, you can (could) fit 40 games on one floppy!

My favourite album (and I still call them "albums" not "CDs" :lol:) was released (1987) before one guy I work with (and a lot of you guys) was born.

(Edit for typo)
Last edited by markfiend on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

captain2obvious
Location: Standing in line, waiting for the Justice League to accept my application

Postby captain2obvious » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:00 am UTC

Patteroast wrote:The first album I owned was a cassette of the Lion King soundtrack, although I really got into music that was on the radio from about 1997-2000. (Barenaked Ladies are still my favorite band. :P )

They're my uncles favorite band too. =P
Belial wrote:A misunderstanding? On the internet??!!? Say it ain't so, Superman!!!
Pseudonym wrote:Assuming we know everything is sheer arrogance, but assuming we know nothing is sheer absurdity.

The TJ

Postby The TJ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:03 am UTC

Oh well, if we're talking about liking things, I should by all rights feel young...

ALL of my favourite bands, movies, and books, seem to have come out before I was born (1990 I'm afraid, but I'm told I have an old soul).
Blokey wrote:John Carpenter is set to direct a Broadway musical about an uncompromising interstellar shape-shifter who is taught compassion and the finer points of culture by Kurt Russell. It is tentatively titled The Thing & I.

ihaveasillyname

Postby ihaveasillyname » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:07 am UTC

All the Pokemon cards I ever bought are older than a couple of my cousins. Cousins who are now well into primary school. Oh dear.

(After well over a year of obsessively reading xkcd, I finally make my first post. Hi!)

Pers

Postby Pers » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:13 am UTC

What an apropos comic.

I received a flyer yesterday for my seven-year-old's school play, Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

foodeater184

Postby foodeater184 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:13 am UTC

I was born in 1990, and I can't believe I'm almost 20. It's even more weird thinking "my boss has been working here longer than I've been alive".. I've seen the rise and fall of the CD, the internet boom, 9/11 and two long wars (there are kids who don't know a time when there wasn't a war on terrorism)... a couple of my younger cousins came to visit with their grandmother (my aunt), and they're going through all that kid stuff and looking forward to getting older, but even at 19 I just wish I could go back to when I was 7 or 8. And now I'm that cousin that's a lot older than them that they'll only ever see at weddings or whatever, and that's weird to me because I've always been one of the younger ones.

Fuck, I'll be able to buy alcohol legally in less than a year and a half. What the hell, that means I'm supposed to be more mature than I was at 15, right?
Last edited by foodeater184 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:16 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SoNick

Postby SoNick » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:15 am UTC

Patteroast wrote:I was born in [...] '87 [....] I don't remember Reagan or Bush Sr. being president, so I guess I wasn't a very politically attentive five-year-old. :wink:

I've been using the internet since 1998. I had floppies and a VCR. I didn't have an NES, but my friends did... I had a Genesis and do remember being excited when Sonic 3 came out. :¡This cheese is burning me!:
[....]
I watched Nickelodeon when it was good. E.g.: Adventures of Pete and Pete.

Randal Patteroast get out of my head! =P
Although I did have an NES back in the day, as well as a SNES in as a Christmas present in '92 (technically it went to myself and my three younger siblings, but I laid claim to it as the years dragged on) and a Genesis in '94 (Another Christmas present). Man, I didn't realize it then but I was totally a spoiled kid for the first 10 years or so of my life.

I feel odd trying to talk about music with coworkers around my age though, because I spent most of my childhood listening to the great rock bands of the 80's thanks to my parents; it's difficult to find someone my age who can hold a discussion about Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, and so on. :| I've alleviated this a bit by listening a little more modern stuff to broaden my tastes, but that's only helped slightly; nobody really wants to talk about Blink-182 more than a handful of songs, nobody's heard of Alien Ant Farm other than their 2002 cover of a Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal," etc.
Sonic Retro Information Wiki: More taglines than you can shake a stick at!

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:22 am UTC

Also a mild note, but this topic has been used before, in http://xkcd.com/87/ mouse text.

Approaching 20 years now...

ysth

Postby ysth » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:25 am UTC

BlueNight wrote:Wait... You mean that there are children right now, possibly reading this forum and responding in erudite tones, to whom The Lion King is as much "before their time" as The Rescuers was for me? To whom The Rescuers is as old as 101 Dalmations is to me?
The math doesn't work there; The Rescuers was 1959 and the Hundred and One Dalmations 1956...
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

FurbyFubar

Postby FurbyFubar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:46 am UTC

Kailen wrote:I recently got back into Magic:TG. I came to this realization when I was showing one of my opponents (Edit: He's 12) cards that were older than he is.

I've played magic since 1995, (that is, since Homelands), with some breaks from buying cards, but playing not interrupted (besides, they're called instants now). So when I go to pre-release tournaments I usually have to goal to not get beaten by someone who's younger than the number of years I've been playing. It will only get more difficult with time I suppose...

Michael of Lucan

Postby Michael of Lucan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:53 am UTC

People of 2009, I have travelled to your time from 1952 to bring you a message of great importance. This xkcd cartoon describes your future life. As you get older, it will be a DAILY occurrence. Because history moves on, technology moves on, and popular culture moves on.

You turn on the radio, and they play a "classic" song which you've never heard of, even though it's twenty years old.

You mention something from the past. Suddenly you realise that you are describing ancient history to the person to whom you speak.

And that person speaks of "famous" people that you've never heard of, and makes references to popular culture that are utterly meaningless to you.

And then you smack your forehead, and you say, "Oh God, I've turned into my father. . ."

But life does start after fifty. The funniest thing is watching kids who still think they're smarter than their parents - exactly like I did. They are still making the same mistakes that I did. I've been there. Done that. Smoked the stuff. Puked on the teeshirt. The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

But still, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

rancidtuna

Postby rancidtuna » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:01 am UTC

Speaking of raptors...when did Jurassic Park come out?

>.>

<.<

mritty

Postby mritty » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:04 am UTC

.... I think I hate you.

Michael of Lucan

Postby Michael of Lucan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:26 am UTC

The TJ wrote:I don't think people are ever going to stop being surprised at how fast time moves...

I'll bet that in 1954 people were saying to themselves "Holy S**T! WWII was 10 years ago!"

In fact, they were saying it was 9 years ago. 1939-1945.

However, your point is right. As a kid in the 50's I played World War 11 games. The war ended seven years before I was born, and to me that was ancient history. While for my parents it was still something they had experienced as current news.

Duck

Postby Duck » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:35 am UTC

Michael of Lucan wrote:But life does start after fifty.

From myself - and on behalf of the rest of us who are starting to realise they must fall above the 90th centile of age distribution here - thank you for this shred of hope. :)

shotgunpriest

Postby shotgunpriest » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:42 am UTC

Thanks for making me feel old at 16! (High School Junior)

botfodder

Postby botfodder » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:17 am UTC

So I wake up this morning to my rounds on the comics, looking for the funny, and I get to XKCD. Having just turned 39, all I can think of right now is:

Fuck you, Randal. Fuck you.

Don't get me wrong. I like you. I get the point. And you don't always need to go for the funny. But I really would have preferred not getting hit on the head by a virtual 2x4 this morning.

Sarda

Postby Sarda » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:20 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Hmm... The 8th Graders in my mom's English class have never known a world with out PokeMon.

I was in 8th grad when 9/11 happened...

How many high schoolers have never used a floppy disk? Or dang, video cassettes... those started disappearing ten or eleven years ago....

Not quite time for that one, yet. Floppy disks were quite common when I was in elementary/middle school, and I'm currently in eleventh grade. They only started disappearing around 8th grade, in favor of flash drives.

SoNick wrote:
I feel odd trying to talk about music with coworkers around my age though, because I spent most of my childhood listening to the great rock bands of the 80's thanks to my parents; it's difficult to find someone my age who can hold a discussion about Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, and so on. :| I've alleviated this a bit by listening a little more modern stuff to broaden my tastes, but that's only helped slightly; nobody really wants to talk about Blink-182 more than a handful of songs, nobody's heard of Alien Ant Farm other than their 2002 cover of a Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal," etc.

I've got that even a little bit more, seeing as people my age are 15-17, and they've not heard of most of those bands. My mom has this huge CD rack, 2-stack 4 feet tall of all sorts of old music, so I grew up liking that rather than most of this new stuff. With regards to music, I'm 40! :shock:
If P AND NOT P then the lotto numbers will be 4, 19, 23, 194, the fine structure constant, and Birmingham.

amedeus

Postby amedeus » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:29 am UTC

God, that's not funny. I turn twenty in two weeks and it feels like it should still be the early '00s. HOW DID I GET HERE?

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:39 am UTC

I always forget my little sister was too young to remember what happened. I wondered why she never understood it all...anyways.

This reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes comic where Calvin is going trick-or-treating and his costume is himself, the leader of tomorrow making decitions that involve the adults' elderly life.

Points for scarey.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Mazurka

Postby Mazurka » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40 am UTC

Think about how many people will grow up to drive in cars that ALL have CD players in them. And how many of those will NOT have a tape cassette player. What about all the kids who won't know that Ender's Game actually has three sequels and a parallel novel (assuming they know of Ender's Game in the first place)? Or that Lord of the Rings wasn't originally a movie...

amedeus

Postby amedeus » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40 am UTC

w00t, double post.

Sarda wrote:
SoNick wrote:

I've got that even a little bit more, seeing as people my age are 15-17, and they've not heard of most of those bands. My mom has this huge CD rack, 2-stack 4 feet tall of all sorts of old music, so I grew up liking that rather than most of this new stuff. With regards to music, I'm 40! :shock:

It was the same way for me, in regards to both of you. First I grew up with my mom listening to all kinds of stuff I probably wouldn't have, from Third Eye Blind and Semisonic to Des'ree and Edie Brickell, to the occasional "It's Raining Men" because the radio played it all the time back then. Then I moved to my dad's and he only ever really played the rock stations, so I got a good dose of both '80s metal and '90s rock. It's gotten so far that today I have all of his metal CD's on my computer, and he recently came to me to give him a bunch of '80s metal out of my collection for him to put on his mp3 player.

Oh, how the tables have turned.

In fact, I found that my parents had thrown out their entire tape collection over the Summer and went trash diving to rescue the good ones. They're in a plastic bag in my car now, and my tape player works just fine for me. Except that it mostly doesn't work, but that's beside the point. It still plays Who's On First, and that's the important thing.

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:55 am UTC

I find it interesting how there is (well for me) a disparity in different forms of popular culture.

E.g. Lord of the Rings is still a good book and still feels 'now' in a weird way, but when it was written there was almost nothing in film or music that I would now pay attention to.

Watching a film like Raiders of the Lost Ark or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, it's weird to realise they seem as 'modern' to me as bands like Nirvana and Radiohead, but they predate them, by quite a way in the case of Radiers.

Then you've got a game like Half-Life that came out in 1997 and that I think of as being a classic and deeply ingrained in my past life but even back then I was finishing Uni so a large chunk of my important formative life was already over...

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, sorry.

ams

Postby ams » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

I had this same kind of revelation this past spring. I was getting pictures at a high school choir concert, and for one reason or another many of the ensembles were singing songs from "The Little Mermaid." Curious, I checked the release date of the movie, and none of the high schoolers were old enough to have seen it in theaters, even as infants.

epostma

Postby epostma » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:43 pm UTC

Duck wrote:
Michael of Lucan wrote:But life does start after fifty.

From myself - and on behalf of the rest of us who are starting to realise they must fall above the 90th centile of age distribution here - thank you for this shred of hope. :)

Amen. (31 - would that be around the 90th percentile? Also: the average age seems to climb, or at least diversify, as you progress from first page of this topic to the later pages.)

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:43 pm UTC

I remember when 20 oz cokes and 2 liter RC were less than a dollar, you could pump gas before paying for it(and it cost less than $2), Starcraft came out, everybody still called them "buffalo", being shocked that Warcraft III wouldn't run on a 233(yes! MEGAhertz!), having an opinion of 95 vs 98(I was for the former, though it took me longer to move from 98 to XP), using Apple ][s in elementary school and a period between each letter of an acronym(and being so confused as to handle the case of one at the end of a sentence I completely avoided it). I'm only 18 and I feel ancient!
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

In recognition of the fact that 9/11 was that long ago, can we as a society finally move on?

It hasn't been a reasonable justification for violence or criminal action for years now.

Also, working at a grocery store this summer, a woman came through with her 9-10 year old daughter. At our store we had a TV playing movies by the checkout, which at the time was playing The Lion King. The mother asked if it was the VHS or the DVD.

Her daughter asked what VHS was. When it was explained to her, she said "Oh, so it's really old then."

I own The Lion King on VHS. I was rather indignant about that.

Michael of Lucan

Postby Michael of Lucan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

epostma wrote: Also: the average age seems to climb, or at least diversify, as you progress from first page of this topic to the later pages.)

Unlike the kids who live online through boards like this, you and I have to deal with our real lives before we can get to reading internet pages - let alone posting.

When they get older, these kids will realise that face to face stuff is much more fun than online. Also you go through fewer tissues. 8)

littlebuddy

Postby littlebuddy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

well played munroe, well played...

Bearboy

Postby Bearboy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

Not so scary really. I'm 15 and apart from what a few people have said about classic 70's/80's music I have yet to experience my childhood becoming ancient history.

I never used floppies(Hell I never used CD's to transport computer files)
I still have a SNES and 64 (I think they are actually both older than me)
I still use VHS to record TV shows because i still have working ones.
I never knew any PM apart from Johnny Howard and recently K-Rudd

Although I'm sure this will change I haven't actually experienced this.

BAMBAM

Postby BAMBAM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

When that list of college Freshman stuff came out for my freshman year of college, I freaked out my dad with the information. I was 18 at the time (now nearly 25) and I informed him that Microsoft Windows was older than me. He was old enough to remember programing by punch cards...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”