0647: "Scary"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Master Gunner

Re: "Scary" Discussion

Postby Master Gunner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

I've been thinking similar things for a few years now. I don't know if it "scares" me, but it certainly makes me feel awkward. Especially for someone who tends to exist a few years behind his peers.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

Bearboy wrote:Not so scary really. I'm 15 and apart from what a few people have said about classic 70's/80's music I have yet to experience my childhood becoming ancient history.

It only seems that way because you're the one doing the scaring and not the one being scared.

I got in on the tail end of the NES era (born in '85, got an NES in 1990), but the one that gets me is that Final Fantasy VII was more than twelve years ago at this point.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

EldestPort

Postby EldestPort » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

5 1/4" floppies? Anyone?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

the blue-grey background is kinda cool.

I wonder if he tried out a few other colors first.

Oh, and I had this realization back in 2002. Wanted to pop Terminator 2 into the VCR (!), and read the back to realize it came out TEN YEARS PRIOR.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

GugloPWN

Postby GugloPWN » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

I have an interesting point of view for this subject. I am a 22 year old Scoutmaster, so I spend time dealing with kids as young as (but no younger) 11. All of them refer to me as "Mr." and I constantly am reminded that these kids never knew about 2D video games or a world without DVD's.

I want to point out that age isn't a very good indicator for experience, and you shouldn't let it bother you. I feel both old and young [i]at the same time[i] at a camp out while I hang out with the other 50 year old scoutmasters looking after the 11 year olds. Meanwhile I have to reassure the parents of these 11 year olds that I'm not some college hooligan when I may in fact be more capable of looking after their kids than they are.

No sure where I'm going with this... good comic, makes you think.

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

You've done what the worst of /b/ couldn't dream of.

Thanks Randel. I'll never be the same. :cry:
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

nirvana_grace

Postby nirvana_grace » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

I traveled here from the year 1968, to tell people talking about how this list makes them feel old:
Uh, sorry, but not yet. Wait until you realize that you've always been out of time. Feeling old is when you realize that you don't even have time to accomplish your most-passionately desired objectives. You might have time to become very good on the guitar, but only if you jettison breadmaking, Japanese cooking, and woodworking -- not to mention that M.S. in biochemistry, helicopter-piloting, and extreme bass-fishing. Even then, even if you discard everything but your most-desperately-sought goal, you'll die before you really accomplish it -- let alone beginning any of those other fascinating things you set-aside. That is feeling old.

Then, you can quit worrying about "accomplishing" and get on with life.

Lists like this can also be turned around. I was there for the moon-landing -- and you missed it! :P
Sure, there are always unintended consequences -- but I can't do nothin' about 'em.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

I have also traveled from 1968 (hey nirvana_grace, get on the council of elders already) to tell you that the world has only one constant, change. Your perspectives and thoughts, if you hold them too dearly, will age you. Listen to what music the kids are listening to. Watch the shows they do, or you too will be that old person who listens to only Classical Music and bemoans the death of P&P D&D.

If you fear change, you are doomed to repeat it.

Move on or suffer a painfully slow anachronistic existence.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Mactabilis

Postby Mactabilis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

SHUT UP RANDELL JUST SHUT UP!

im only 27!!! im not old and I WONT GET MY HAIR CUT!!!! jerk.

aladdin was a great movie.

Oh me yarm i saw retern of the jedi in theaters.................

wqdiia

Postby wqdiia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

Good comic.

This is a popular topic of conversation among my friends and I. People who are 10 now are having a very different childhood from mine, mostly because of advancing technology I guess, and it's only been ten years. It doesn't make me feel old, just curious about what the world will look like in another ten years...

mapspamapspam

Postby mapspamapspam » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Every so often, this tends to hit me, but mostly with music. Even bands that were popular when I was in highschool are starting to be unknown by the kids graduating now.

Yeah, this exactly. For me, I remember back when I was single-digit-aged listening to the 'classic rock' stations, or the radio station would preface the songs with something about how they were from 'back in your day'... I remember thinking to myself that some day it's likely I would hear something similar about the new music I liked, but even so it seemed hard to believe. Now I hear those same songs in the lunch hour "old school" segment. Super wierd to see my earlier thoughts fulfilled.

Sitting at 29 for almost a year has been a conflicting experience. I certainly don't think I should even qualify as an adult sometimes, much less one with nearly 3 decades of existence.

Postby 6453893 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:You know what's even more depressing than "Oh me yarm I feel old"? A bunch of people 10-20 years younger than you going "Oh me yarm I feel old". :?

I'm 39. I was 7 when the original Star Wars came out. The first computer I owned was a ZX-81. I remember, when I got a floppy drive for my ZX Spectrum, wondering whether I'd need more than 5 disks; after all, you can (could) fit 40 games on one floppy!

My favourite album (and I still call them "albums" not "CDs" :¡This cheese is burning me!:) was released (1987) before one guy I work with (and a lot of you guys) was born.
More depressing still is assuming not a single piece of art or terminology could possibly be transferred to us kids. They still are called 'albums', it is the term for that artistic medium. Even when digital music immolates CD sales, albums are called albums. The word 'novel' hasn't and isn't going to change, regardless of whether the book is written on papyrus scrolls or beamed through our noses in to our brains. My favorite album is a year older than you; is this a logical contradiction in your world? Maybe I can't possibly like the music "authentically" like you can, but I don't see how liking something old makes you so much more wizened than us.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

What "scares" me (notice the quotes) is that nowadays 8 years is considered WOW A LOT OF TIME. Is this interval getting smaller? Will people in the future be saying "man, [something important] happened yesterday! It almost feels like YESTERDAY! I feel old..."

Is it an aching desire for people to feel "old" and therefore earning the right to feel sad for being "old"? Is it just the shortening of attention span and the overall disdain for things? Or is it just a need for self-assurance, or something?

Sheesh, people. My youngest nephew will only know a world without Michael Jackson. So what? There were people who lived in a world in which America (the continent) was yet undiscovered. Time passes. What's so funny or scary about that?

Camp Freddie

Postby Camp Freddie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

2 Examples:

I was talking to a guy in the office about how the msconfig can get rid of startup crapware.
I said at least it wasn't as bad as customising your own autoexec.bat and config.sys
He had no idea what the hell I was talking about. He has no knowledge of DOS.

Also, the berlin wall thing. If you go on Smiths websites, the students these days don't know what 'the bomb' means in the song Ask*. They either think it's 'the bond' or they think it's some sort of metaphor for love (or worse, that it has the same meaning as 'da bomb' in current yoof-culture).
MJ Hibbett wrote a wonderful song about this.

* Hi kids, did you know that when I was at school, we all thought that we'd all be killed in nuclear armageddon and would never get to worry about how sub-prime lending would affect our pension schemes.

RandAlThor

Postby RandAlThor » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

Yes, Randy, all 8 year olds talk like that... :roll:

Seriously... 8 years is not a very long time. 8 year olds are still really young kids who you're unlikely to have a serious conversation with in the same way you might an intelligent teenager. The alt-text was way better than the comic...

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

SirMustapha, the interval's getting smaller because technology's advancing faster(how many people here have used a joystick?).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

aeson25

Postby aeson25 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

A cashier yesterday thought I was handing her a fake $5 bill. One of her coworkers had to explain that it was an "old" $5. You know, the one with the smaller face in the center.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

6453893 wrote: More depressing still is assuming not a single piece of art or terminology could possibly be transferred to us kids. They still are called 'albums', it is the term for that artistic medium. Even when digital music immolates CD sales, albums are called albums. The word 'novel' hasn't and isn't going to change, regardless of whether the book is written on papyrus scrolls or beamed through our noses in to our brains. My favorite album is a year older than you; is this a logical contradiction in your world? Maybe I can't possibly like the music "authentically" like you can, but I don't see how liking something old makes you so much more wizened than us.

Wow. Calm down. OK, "the kids" still call albums albums. Sorry. A lot of people I speak to call them CDs, so I was trying to make a joke of it, but hey, it's not a big deal.

I never said you weren't allowed to like albums older than yourself (or even than me). Hell I listen to music recorded before I was born too. I never claimed to be more authentic or anything. I really don't think I gave that impression, and if I did, I really didn't intend it, so please accept my apologies.

The 1987 album just bugs me because I have a very clear memory of buying it the day it came out. And it's older than my work colleague. That just makes me feel old. OK?
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

chishm wrote:
glasnt wrote:Listening through the old theme song tunes brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye:
- Round the Twist
- Bananaman
- Gumpy
- Lift Off
- SuperTed
- Roger Ramjet

You don't happen to be Australian do you? I remember all those shows from my youth, and you seem to have forgotten some:
- Johnson and Friends
- Fireman Sam
- Postman Pat
- The Trap Door

No, I'm not old. I still chew bubblegum.

Bucky O'Hare, anyone? Let's croak us some toads.

My son will be my age in 2036. Yowzers.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

netsplit wrote:You've done what the worst of /b/ couldn't dream of.

Wait... did he rule 34 Yotsuba when we weren't looking?
(love the name btw, that immediately puts you in a prior era unless you've been doing your research i think?)

Anyone feeling this kind of time displacement needs to be watching the BBC's current technology history/retrospective/societal analysis season... with one shots / short run programmes such as "Electric Dreams" (a family is tossed back through time to 1970 by dint of having their home, possessions, car transformed into what would have been typical of the time... then they're brought back to 2009 at the rate of one day per year... we observe the effect this has), Micro Men (the battle between Sinclair and Acorn for the BBC Micro contract and market supremacy, told Fly-on-the-Wall style), Secret Life of the Mobile Phone etc. OK, the last one doesn't have the same "Oh me yarm that happened HOW LONG AGO?" effect, but my minds suddenly drawing a blank on the other ones ;)

The pivotal Electric Dreams programme (4 episodes, 1 per decade) is particularly interesting (and to tangent for a moment, maybe shows how fluid our society is; they thought it a bit of a drag not having all the modern gear, but seemed to adapt quite well and the whole family structure and behaviour altered)..... the 80s edition, where everything changed, even more so. One of the kids ruining the VCR by trying to put a Beta tape into it - not making that up - as she, at about age 11, had never handled a VHS and so didn't realise it was completely the wrong shape and size (elements of Cowboy Bebop?). Another getting hold of the family's first computer (with built in BASIC) and suddenly programming as if his life depended on it - after needing several hours to make the damn thing work and recognise tape data - with Mum being mortified at how he didn't seem to have time for anyone any more. Dad being sad to junk the turntable for a second time but then rediscovering just how awesome a leap CD actually was, even though we take it for granted now.
Oh yeah, and they piped typical TV shows/channels of the time in thru the "aerial" as the only things the doctored set would receive.
All those things coming into the home for the first time in the 80s..... a time in which I was busily growing up and seeing some of these things as just common, but mostly new and wow, quickly getting used to the reality however.

Gargh. Yeah, the gravity of it all hurts a bit here, too.

Turning it around time:
I may have to ask my dear sweet grandmother if the same sort of thing was going on when she was a rapidly maturing young lady... born in 1920... and being ribbed on or discussed in the 3rd person because she happened to be born a scant 18 months after the end of The Great War. Gosh crikey, the youth of today in the 30s, they have no idea what it's like to be at war, the sheer horror that haunts every step, fearing to hear that a loved one has died abroad in the trenches...
Well, yes. There's always the next one though, isn't there. That we shall live through, or that we shall watch almost as if from afar whilst our own children live it. It must be a continually wierd thing down through the very ages to watch the stuff that you yourself experienced becoming ever more ancient history. I wonder what those three recently passed veterans - Harry Patch, Henry Allingham and Bob Taggart (yes I had to google them, but I knew to, and how to find them at least) thought of it all, at ages 109-plus, having all seen three different centuries from the victorian era onwards, two world wars and a host of others, the rise of private cars, aeroplanes, skyscraper buildings, radio, telephony, sound recording (ok, late 1800s inventions both, but not in common use until the 1900s), tv, computing, spaceflight, video, the internet, universal sufferage and women's rights, civil rights, softening attitudes to LGBT issues, penicillin, eradication of smallpox and near-eradication of many other previously terrifying diseases, criminalisation of certain drugs previously sold over the counter, global warming (and before it, the glaciation-by-pollution theories), ozone layer, 9/11, obama and... oh, i could go on. They were there for all of it, with a never-ending succession of youngsters who weren't.

One can only imagine the size of lawn they'll each be granted in the afterlife to watch through an ethereal window and yell at cherubim to keep off of.

oh, and of course, I got called away four lines before the end of that, and so now I've got all the subsequent posts to catch up on. For a start, I think I know which MJ Hibbett song is being referred to (but I don't clock "Ask", so could be wrong) and will have to, well, ask.

god damn it guys stop posting so fast i can't get my thing to submit :D

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

SirMustapha: I think what you have there, and what can be used to sum up a lot of this thread is....
Shit! I can get nostalgic as well as older people! Am I old? Time seems to be passing faster. Must be getting old, then. There's kids younger than me, that never used to happen, last thing I knew I was at school and most of the world was made of adults. Now I am an adult and most of my contemporaries don't seem to care how old we all are in comparison to each other, so long as we're past school age and before retirement, and there's these kids everywhere who don't recognise the things I saw/did when I was a kid............. etc :D

Yeah I've been there too, before it gets into a flamewar. It does provide for fruitful if cliche banter down the pub. It's amazing the sheer "FUCK!" looks you can put onto an entire circle of people's faces by randomly mentioning something from your collective childhoods that they all loved too, but had also almost completely forgotten about. (And the "wha?" or "here we go again" looks on those few who were doing other stuff, or are too young). For my group, mentioning Mysterious Cities of Gold tends to do it. Or Raccoons. Or for a certain few, The Last Unicorn (oddly). But I think I'm in a sample set of one for actually being inside with the TV on to catch Channel 4 playing Laputa at Christmas, however, the ONE year we had a white 25th. (Got out in the snow early and was, by then, frozen and bored, and went inside to channel surf on what even to a five-year-old seemed like a bit of a small TV (13"))

CampFreddie: I'ma have to take a few guesses here. Likely not The Lesson Of The Smiths. Could be The Fight For History? Or maybe just Everything's Turning Out Alright (Everything) ;) ???
Or maybe something newer as I've lost the ability to keep up with ALL aspects of the music biz this last year, haven't had the time or money. The newsletters lie unread in my inbox because I'd prefer to view them at a time when I can actually pay attention and won't end up kicking myself at seeing there was a gig just around the corner from me the night before I just hope there's a few copies of the latest album & singles left when I finally get opportunity and sufficient argent to order it.

Incidentally we can drag artist history into this one as well. IIRC his apparent "world first" internet single - ITSELF a massive exercise in nostalgia (hey hey 16k) - would have been, what, 1998, 99? At a point where most people's PCs and modems were finally up to a level where they could reliably play a 128kbit MP3 and downloading it didn't take so long that it was a more practical prospect to have it mailed 1st class. Ten years. I think he would be proud of that kind of heritage, and the continuing opportunity to drive (well, take a train) into new markets. Artists Against Success do nothing if not, after all, Carry The Message To The Kids, Oh Yes.

BTW. While we're on this lick. Final warning has arrived. Geocities shutdown, after 15-ish years, IMMINENT. 15 days. I think the turn off needs to be marked by a massive Yahoo boycott (those of us who don't already largely ignore it... i have too much invested in my Y!mail to leave it long tho). Particularly as they've started to TAKE THE FUCKING PISS around Britain with lots of massive roadside billboards, to whit: "The internet has a new master: You" and suchlike. Yeah. A master who can't any longer make their own HTML homepages without paying £5 a month for it. Thanks a pile.
Plus they're killing the opportunity for those early adopters amongst us to be sat in a pub in three or four years time, see some fresh faced kids come in either after their 18th or to try out their new fake cracked-biometrics ID card, and to rip on them for being too young because "I've got a HOMEPAGE OLDER than you, son!".

EDIT: I might now actually stump up that money for a couple of years JUST to pull that dick move on someone.

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

Tryptych post:

One way I've pulled this on my mother is in "inheriting" (read: saving-from-rotting-in-her-garage) a stack of vinyl from her on having got myself (read: intercepted it on the way to the dumpster at work) a fully working turntable and amp.

Discovering a copy of Joan Baez's first LP in there.
Noting the date (and the rarity of things that old to even have them)
Taking it to her and asking it if it was her first record...
(no, but it was one of my grandmother's that got played a lot in her youth).

I'll give Vinyl this - when properly cared for, it doesn't half last. And this had obviously been cared for. No scratches. Clean grooves/surface. Still plays nicely, if with a little fuzz from having gone through the mill so much. Sleeve and dustcover kinda worn but they took the damage the record otherwise would have. Wonder if my earliest CDs will still be as good at nearly 50 years old... (sometime in 2040 or beyond... we have no way of knowing! They might biodegrade into nothing!)

She's since been to see a concert of Joan's (68! How young was she when the record was made, and she's still at it?! Truly the rock & roll 60s era had some magical effects on people's lasting stamina)... along with said grandmother. I'm sure much past time was revisited on that trip.

Pizzachu

Postby Pizzachu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

I WAS BORN IN 1994 AND I'M POSTING

But even I feel the way the comic does sometimes. Did you know there are some Youtube kids that think Ruby and Sapphire (2003) were the first Pokemon games?

Hale
Location: Las Cruces, NM, USoA; NA, Terra; Sol, Outer edge Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way.

Postby Hale » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

I was fine until I read the title text. Then I realized that, holycow, I'm still playing my GBC games and that yes, I have had some of them for a decade now. That's a bit of a sobering thought at 16.
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post. I also edit them.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Remember, folks, in this day and age, your productive life ends somewhere around junior year of college. Everything after that is just reaping what you've sewn.

At twenty-one, not much left to do but drink yourself to death.

Ridcully

Postby Ridcully » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

The scary thing to me, is what will strike people as terrifying in another decade.

"It was before my time, but I'm old enough to tell you about Perez Hilton"

*shudder*

the interval's getting smaller because technology's advancing faster(how many people here have used a joystick?).

I owned one for about 2 days...what the heck happened to them?

Moore's Law anyone?
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...
Terry Pratchett

mrhthepie

Postby mrhthepie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

A couple of things:

Graphics: I can just about remember when there were only 2D graphics (playing Super Mario World on my cousin's SNES), but I have only owned consoles that have been capable of 3D.

For me, the internet has always been mostly porn.

Michael Jackson was always white, and controversial.
mmmm... 3.141592
Spoiler:
Soylent Green is people, Rosebud is his sledge, Vader is Luke's father, Atlas is Fontain, and I've run out of good spoilers now.

ultranoodles

Postby ultranoodles » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

i am 15, i dont remember 9/11 at ALL (my first memory of it was 3rd grade, it happened in 2nd), i saw toystory in theaters and have 1 and 2 on vhs, when i was a kid my first computer was a dos computer that ran windows if you clicked f, my first first person shooter was wolfenstien 3d on that very computer, and i could use the computer better than my mom when i was 2 or3

Michael of Lucan

Postby Michael of Lucan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

This is thread 666. However, I am a grumpy old man. I mumble in my beard about stupid people who don't know ancient languages like Latin or Old Greek.* Stupid nothoi.

If any of you actually read the Book of Revelations in older texts, you would realise that the Number of the Beast was clearly stated to be 616. The reference to 666 is a misprint. It has become hallowed in American folklore, then spread to the world.

Check it out, kids. Impress your friends. And laugh at the people who recently changed bus route 666 to 616 ... oops.

*(or English, but that's a different argument)

oblivimous

Postby oblivimous » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

America is less than three lifetimes old.

If I was born in 1825-1845 and lived to 100, then in my childhood I met elders who remembered the revolution and in my old age I met children who still live.

Regarding Mother Jones, Utah Phillis said:

"It is hard for the mind to encompass the life that embraced the Presidency between Andrew Jackson and Herbert Hoover. Why, when Mother Jones was a little girl, there were people still alive that remembered the Revolutionary War. She died on the eve of the New Deal. Her dress shop burned down in the great Chicago fire, and she had heard Abe Lincoln, speak in person."

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

616, the area code:

Spoiler:

Welcome to hell, Grand Rapids Michigan.

Note to be confused with Hell Michigan.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

AdamW

Postby AdamW » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

I'm with PhoenixEnigma - music is the scariest thing. If you're anything like me, consider how many of your favourite albums were recorded between 1988 and 1994, and then consider that that's 15-21 years ago (people who were born after Bleach and You're Living All Over Me and Doolittle came out can drink, just about everywhere outside the States. Drink alcohol, that is. Not drink bleach.) Someone did a survey in a London record store a few years ago - so the people being asked could be expected to be at least casual music fans - and found that 60% of those surveyed had never heard of Nirvana.

Never mind cassettes - I know kids who've never owned a CD, who've never even _played_ an audio CD. Those of us with shelves of hundreds of neatly filed jewel cases will soon look as old as people with vinyl collections did to us.

When I was a little kid I listened to my parents' Beatles vinyl, then in high school I listened to hissy fourth-gen tape copies of In Utero and Kerplunk!, then got a Discman (with no skip protection!), then in college I had a very early-generation, 96MB (32MB onboard + 64MB CF card) MP3 player, now I listen to music on my cellphone.

Eek.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

I'm looking forward to being a crazy old man telling the generation born now about how we use to have to take our photos to a store to be developed, and how all computer applications other than the OS were stored on floppy disks, and how we had to look up encyclopedic statistics and phone number in 20cm-thick books, and how Super Mario Brothers 1 had revolutionary graphics. I'm going to look insane! :lol:

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Camp Freddie wrote:I was talking to a guy in the office about how the msconfig can get rid of startup crapware.
I said at least it wasn't as bad as customising your own autoexec.bat and config.sys
He had no idea what the hell I was talking about. He has no knowledge of DOS.

I couldn't figure out how to get msconfig's changes out of "trial mode," making what happens on start-up even more confusing. Read: re-enable normal boot and the crap comes back.

Manually editing autoexc.bat and config.sys is much easier IMO. It helps that the system is less complicated, so more transparent. Even if you have to use a hex editor to see what a TSR really does.
Did you get the number on that truck?

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

Randall, get out of my head. I was just having a conversation with my friend about how a decade ago we were having our "Turn of the millennium" parties, and now we are gonna have a 2010 party this year. Scary (her face, to be precise)
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Me321

Postby Me321 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

70's 80's 90's.....wait this decade is almost over and we dont have a name for it, how is this possible.

on a related note, i am still trying to write 19xx for the date, i dont think i can remember to write 201x

and i was born in 1988, i remember 5 1/2 in and 3 1/2 floppys and records and tapes and vhs, i have vage memories of the berlin wall, mainly from watching James Bond movies that my parents recorded before i was born.

here is a good one you can tell your kids you remember before ipods.

Macbi

Postby Macbi » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

I'm only seventeen, and still old enough to disapprove of people who can't remember what a dial-up modem sounded like.
    Indigo is a lie.
    Which idiot decided that websites can't go within 4cm of the edge of the screen?
    There should be a null word, for the question "Is anybody there?" and to see if microphones are on.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

Me321 wrote:70's 80's 90's.....wait this decade is almost over and we dont have a name for it, how is this possible.

I've seen a few media organization use "aughts". That's what they used for the 1900s decade, so we might as well go with that.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

I was having a discussion along these lines with my kids recently.

They couldn't believe that when I was a child we had no means of recording TV programs to watch them later, that there was no daytime TV (just the test card), and that all phones were connected to the wall with a cord.

My grandfather remembered the first car he saw (he was 8, it was 1904).
My mother remembers the first TV she saw (she was 9 and it was for the Coronation).
I remember the first computer I saw (I was 10 and the secondary school I was going to was very proud of its PET).
I'm wondering what will be the equivalent for my kids.

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

I'm 16 and in the UK. There are times when stuff like this happens to me, but I don't feel old, just...odd. I remember my brother playing the SNES, playing Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time on the N64, having such a shitty dial-up connection that my fingers went cold waiting for something to load, watching Teletubbies in the morning, my sister making me watch all seven seasons of Buffy on VHS and nearly crying, thinking I'd broken my GBC on Christmas day because it kept turning off, when in fact the batteries had just run out playing Pokemon Blue that damn much (And when you could go on the bus without some chav playing Cascada on their mobile :wink: ). It feels rather surreal that I actually did those things, now that technology has changed so much. But even more than technology, what will definitely make me feel old in about a decade is that there are kids growing up now for whom Harry Potter was always a finished series :shock: :shock:
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”