0647: "Scary"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jadehasAspade

Re: "Scary" Discussion

Postby jadehasAspade » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

the kid from the sixth sense is 4 years old than me!
he will always be an 10 year old kid in my mind..

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

This comic had me curled in the fetal position for a few hours.

I'm old enough to remember every single version of Windows released. I have used all of them except Me and Vista. Will never use either one.

Commodore 64, anyone? Also, for everyone talking about older Nintendo gaming systems, pfft. Where's the Atari love? Also: Turbo. Grafix. 16. Bitches.

I remember using the Apple IIe computers, as well as the first MacIntosh computers. And they were called "MacIntosh", not "Mac" or "iMac". We used the 3½" diskettes on the Macs, and the 5¼" floppies on the IIe's. The Macs were used only when we were to type papers or other similar projects, not for everyday use. The IIe's were used in keyboarding class. In keyboarding we also had typewriters.

I was born at the tail-end of the Carter Administration, and I don't remember Reagan all that well. I watched George H. W. Bush get inaugurated on a small TV in the library at my elementary school. We used a card catalog and the Dewey Decimal System to find books. The TV had knobs on it. We held a mock election for the President at this elementary school before Bush won, and in our school Mike Dukakis won. That was my first exposure to politics that I can clearly remember.

I read Calvin and Hobbes in the comics section of our newspaper.

I remember when the only way to surf the Internet was if you had AOL or Prodigy. I barely remember the commercials for Prodigy, being aimed at kids to do better in school by having a wealth of information at their fingertips. I also remember three letters: BBS. I never got into it, but my parents stayed up late into the night chatting on the BBS boards.

I remember when CDs and CD players were only affordable to the upper-class families, who made 6-digit salaries. We had a record player and a boombox with a single cassette player. I thought I was really living it up in 1993 when my parents gave me a small boombox with dual cassette deck, allowing me to copy tapes. I made my own mix tapes, and spent countless hours recording the radio or TV.

To me, Saturday mornings meant getting up out of bed, going into the kitchen, pouring a bowl of Count Chocula, and then sitting in front of the TV watching Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, Garfield and Friends, and other awesome cartoons.

Pee-Wee Herman wasn't a pervert, he was to the 80s what Steve Burns was to the 90s and early 00s. I can still sing "connect the dots" and almost recite Jambi's spell.

I also remember when Nickelodeon was just one channel, and not split into three or four different channels. It also aired much better programming than the sludge it puts out today. Anyone else remember the original Snick lineup? Does anyone today even know what Snick means?
PRG

An important message for you:

chrisj

Postby chrisj » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

nirvana_grace wrote:I traveled here from the year 1968, to tell people talking about how this list makes them feel old:
Uh, sorry, but not yet. Wait until you realize that you've always been out of time. Feeling old is when you realize that you don't even have time to accomplish your most-passionately desired objectives. You might have time to become very good on the guitar, but only if you jettison breadmaking, Japanese cooking, and woodworking -- not to mention that M.S. in biochemistry, helicopter-piloting, and extreme bass-fishing. Even then, even if you discard everything but your most-desperately-sought goal, you'll die before you really accomplish it -- let alone beginning any of those other fascinating things you set-aside. That is feeling old.

Bah. I'm from 1968 too, and you have the wrong attitude.

You have the vision of someone who was born before home computers, before video games- you may have grown up on Pong and Tank Plus (NOT in an ironic way, but as wizzy new technology!). You may have had your life changed by a strange book- the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- and WAITED for the sequel to come out. You may have vague memories of hearing the Beatles on the radio, NOT as an oldie. You may have heard music change on the same radio, for instance when Boston came out and was huge and everything went all glossy and polished. You may have seen Star Wars in a theater- and waited for the sequel to come out.

Most of those creators failed to accomplish what THEY had really wanted- and look what they ended up with- Mostly Harmless (awesome, but how much darker than the first), Boston Third Stage, Jar-Jar and 200 stormtroopers edited into all the original scenes distractingly.

Nobody really accomplishes anything as they envision it. Get busy anyway! Stan Lee started working for Marvel before he was 20, when it was called Timely Publications, and he created The Destroyer and The Black Marvel and Blonde Phantom. He worked for another ten years until he was 30. After he was thirty, he built up a back-log of paid-for art that wasn't being used and got in serious trouble. For ANOTHER ten years, he languished. Then after he was forty, he created The Fantastic Four, then Spider-Man...

I'm not a superhero comic reader, so I had to google up most of that and can't vouch for it- but the general point is clear :)

I'm 41 and I do a mon-fri daily comic AND am getting back into my music (the comic's adult so I don't want to link it, but I do have a clip of some of the music- http://www.jinxtigr.com/temp/LastMile.mp3) and the funny thing is, I've been playing instruments for many years but with the comic, I never drew before last year and I'm doing it anyway. By next year, I'll have drawn for two years, and so on.

Go out and do something, even if it's not exactly as you wanted it. Maybe somebody will like it :)

Adrigaar

Postby Adrigaar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

would like to add, im 19 and i dont remember a time without mobile phones. not entirely sure if there was a time without mobile phones whilst i have been alive but i certaintly dont remember it if there was.

tetsujin

Postby tetsujin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

SW15243 wrote:I am 18 years old, and here are some scary facts related to my age:

About 2 weeks after I was born, Comedy Central began airing

Well, they started out as Comedy Channel, back in 1989. They had a bunch of shows that they produced dirt-cheap on one floor of a building or something. They later merged with a rival comedy network, "Ha!", to form Comedy Central. Only a few of their Comedy Channel shows continued into the Comedy Central era - MST3K probably being the best-known example.

Reflecting on how old shows like South Park, The Daily Show, and The Simpsons are would probably also be a pretty good way to make certain people feel old... :)
---GEC
I want to create a truly new command-line shell for Unix.
Anybody want to place bets on whether I ever get any code written?

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

tetsujin wrote:
SW15243 wrote:I am 18 years old, and here are some scary facts related to my age:

About 2 weeks after I was born, Comedy Central began airing

Well, they started out as Comedy Channel, back in 1989. They had a bunch of shows that they produced dirt-cheap on one floor of a building or something. They later merged with a rival comedy network, "Ha!", to form Comedy Central. Only a few of their Comedy Channel shows continued into the Comedy Central era - MST3K probably being the best-known example.

They also used to show stand-up specials a lot more back then, and even had their own show called "Stand-Up Stand-Up," in sort of the same format as MTV, usually with the stand-up comics all talking about the same topic. When they'd show each comedian, it would show a bit of information at the bottom left of your TV screen, like how MTV and VH1 would do with music videos. Back when they showed music videos. I still remember those days. I also remember "Pop-Up Video" from VH1.
PRG

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

I'm 18.. I remember Snick, but not as to what it consisted of.
Ren and Stimpy and Roko's Modern Life were the absolute best cartoons ever.. oh and Rugrats before it went all gay with this teen rugrat stuff..

I don't ever remember there being some stupid reality tv cartoon that is about nothing but drama... also my mom taught us that the Simpsons was an evil show.. but we watched it anyway.. and commonly recited the then popular "Bite my butterfinger"

I had a bowlish haircut as a kid.

Also, I remember Mike Lu and Ogg (on an island) was a funny cartoon along with Ed Edd and Eddy.

I remember when I was like 6 or so(1997) my cousin had a computer running windows 98 with an old crappy ASCII only printer(the ones with the holes along the side of the paper) and I remember playing Oregon Trail(or well, watching her play) and it being "amazing"

I remember when the first gameboys came out, and we owned one.. I traded my gameboy thin or whatever thin version they came out with for my brothers original gameboy. It may be thin, but the battery life sucked balls(I played for about 2 hours and was dead)

Also, when I first started programming in like 2003, AJAX was unheard of, flash player dominated, and AOL finally was starting to die.
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

para-prophet

Postby para-prophet » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

also next year WO2 gos with pension
then according to my history teacher we can finaly make Hitler jokes in class
ten minutes later he already made one

Aenh

Postby Aenh » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:46 am UTC

Lame story, Uncle Rob.
Lame story, Rob.
Lame story, bRo.
Cool story, bro.

JayK

Postby JayK » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:04 am UTC

Ha! I've already had this feeling of anachronism some time ago. I was talking to some kids and they had no idea -none- what Trapper Keepers are.

Mikesername

Postby Mikesername » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:55 am UTC

It has been 11 years since Dale Earnhardt SENIOR won his first Daytona 500.

It has been 8 years since Dale Earnhardt Senior died in his last Daytona 500.

It has been 2 years since I went to my first Daytona 500.

I'm 15.

I remember the big black "3"s at the tracks, I know why EA Sports's "NASCAR 2002" features a "3" on the opening screen, and yet, there are so many kids who will never know what number Dale Earnhardt, Sr was. EDIT: or even who he was... :\

I made a point to burn all of the photographs,
She went away and then I took a different path,
I remember the face but I can't recall the name,
Now I wonder how Whatsername has been.

~Green Day, "Whatsername"

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:52 am UTC

NES, waaaaah, waaaaah, waaaaah!

Here was my first video game:

Sarda wrote:My mom has this huge CD rack

<wistfully>Yes, she does...</wistfully>

Oh, you said "CD"! Oops, sorry.

amedeus wrote:...It still plays Who's On First, and that's the important thing.

I have a feeling you don't mean Abbott and Costello.

BioTube wrote:I remember when 20 oz cokes and 2 liter RC were less than a dollar, you could pump gas before paying for it(and it cost less than $2)...

I remember when you didn't have to pump your own gas and it was 35 cents/gal. By the time I started driving, you could pump your own and it had about doubled in price.

EldestPort wrote:5 1/4" floppies? Anyone?

I actually used 8" floppies when they were still more-or-less current (5 1/4" was new at the time).

nirvana_grace wrote:...extreme bass-fishing...

Trolling while on water skis, perhaps? Real he-man extreme fishing: here and here.

tetsujin wrote:Reflecting on how old shows like South Park, The Daily Show, and The Simpsons are would probably also be a pretty good way to make certain people feel old... :)

I remember when the Simpsons was a short segment on the Tracy Ullman Show.

It freaks me out to think that R.E.M. qualifies as oldies.

I have traveled here from far in the past and, after a brief vacation in the future, am able to now reveal that there is no "a" in "definitely". Consider yourselves to have been notified.

You may now remove yourself from the bermuda grass on which you're standing.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:23 am UTC

There are college students who've never lived in a world w/o The Simpsons, or Law & Order. Or Rush Limbaugh on the radio.

That's frightening.
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

prssn

Postby prssn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:36 am UTC

I'm only 17, but I still remember a time without cellphones, and I remember using windows '95. And even I feel old..
It's also horrible that kids now grow up without the Disney classics and Tintin in the same way we did

prssn

Postby prssn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:37 am UTC

Also, with this comic, notice a change of style in the design? Is this a big turn for xkcd?

skordge

Postby skordge » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:38 am UTC

What scared me was a kid trying to watch cartoons off a VHS cassette, and his amazed look, when I had to explain you have to actually rewind the damn thing first.
What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'?!

onFyre

Postby onFyre » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

I had to sign up to post this. My little bro (born 1995) is playing Banjo-Kazooie (1998) when my littler bro came in (only just older than the game) and asks "What's the point of collecting all the notes?"

Heh. There isn't an achievement for it you silly xBox boy.
Back in my day (*snigger*) we collected stuff because it was there!

captain2obvious
Location: Standing in line, waiting for the Justice League to accept my application

Postby captain2obvious » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

I just remembered something that completely flabbergasted me. I was watching a few of my cousins (about 5-8 years old), and they had never heard of Waldo from Wheres Waldo. When did little kids stop playing Wheres Waldo?!?!?
Belial wrote:A misunderstanding? On the internet??!!? Say it ain't so, Superman!!!
Pseudonym wrote:Assuming we know everything is sheer arrogance, but assuming we know nothing is sheer absurdity.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

I honestly don't get this one, or its alt text.
Gonna read through the thread, see if it was 'translated'.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

wow that's pretty scary.
9/11 happened when i was in 1st grade and back then i really didn't know the affect it would have on the world.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

It's scary that it happend 8 years ago? I don't get it.
And I'm -2.

DesSidDes

Postby DesSidDes » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:I read Calvin and Hobbes in the comics section of our newspaper.

There was a time when C&H was in the papers?

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:03 am UTC

My first computer was a Dick Smith VZ-200, with 32x16 character 8-colour text mode and high-resolution 128x64 graphics mode switchable between two four-colour palettes. It had 6k of user memory but you could get a 16k expansion pack if you needed to run a large program (which would take several minutes to load from the cassette tape, assuming it passed the checksum). The whole computer was integrated into the keyboard shell and you just plugged it into your TV.

The games were still fun to play - though not as much fun as the ones on a friend's impressive new C64.

Some of these points have already been made, but my kids will never know a world where:
  • It was impossible to contact someone who was out of the house
  • Some TVs did not have colour
  • Computers did not have easy-to-use GUIs
  • Home computers were not connected to the Internet
  • It was often necessary to go to the library for information
  • If you wanted to send a copy of a document to someone, you had to photocopy it and mail it
  • Programmable calculators were not allowed in exams
  • To watch a particular movie, you had to wait until a TV station aired it
  • The only electronic games were those little hand-held ones [which, incidentally, seem to be a lot crappier these days]
  • In school you learned about what would happen in a nuclear war, complete with a graphic novel about an elderly couple showing them progress through radiation sickness and die, with the take-home message of "if your city is hit by a nuclear bomb you will die and there is nothing you can do about it because all your precautions will be totally inadequate". Hooray for paranoia :) (We also watched Threads in class.)
  • You could only leave a message for another person by physically writing it down, or phoning someone else in their vicinity who could physically write it down
  • Flying cars had not yet been inven... oh, wait. :(

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:57 am UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:...a graphic novel about an elderly couple showing them progress through radiation sickness and die, with the take-home message of "if your city is hit by a nuclear bomb you will die and there is nothing you can do about it because all your precautions will be totally inadequate"...

It was called "When The Wind Blows" by Raymond Briggs. (I still have a copy.) It really freaked me out because Raymond Briggs's previous output (as far as I knew) had been light-hearted "Father Christmas" graphic novels (in which Father Christmas had a Yorkshire accent) and "Fungus The Bogeyman" -- another comedy thing. He also drew the cartoon on which perennial UK Christmas TV favourite "The Snowman" was based.

"When The Wind Blows" was a real departure. And a real shock. It's a good point actually, the spectre of nuclear war really loomed large over my childhood (or at least my teens, when I was old enough to understand it) I guess in much the same way that climate change looms now.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

DesSidDes wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:I read Calvin and Hobbes in the comics section of our newspaper.

There was a time when C&H was in the papers?

Not just C&H, but The Far Side, Peanuts, Garfield, For Better or For Worse, Cathy, Nancy, The Fusco Brothers, Stone Soup, all of those comics were available only in the newspapers.

The Creative Loafing was the only way for most independent, individual, or otherwise known as "underground" cartoonists got published.

skordge wrote:What scared me was a kid trying to watch cartoons off a VHS cassette, and his amazed look, when I had to explain you have to actually rewind the damn thing first.

Not just that, but there are no menus that will take you directly to a favorite scene, or in the case of a cartoon collection, right to the cartoon you want to watch. You had to press the fast-forward and rewind buttons. Also, you couldn't activate "special features" like audio commentary, nor could you go right to a "behind-the-scenes" featurette. You had to hope they'd either have it at the beginning, or the end.

Also, with previews, you had to fast-forward through all of the previews before getting to the movie. The good thing about having all those previews at the beginning was you could play the tape at the beginning, then go to the bathroom, get the popcorn or other snacks ready, and basically prepare for movie time for when the movie finally came on. Nowdays you young whipper-snappers have more control over exactly when the movie starts.

Don't know if this was brought up, but I remember a time where if you wanted a single song by an artist or band, there were three ways to get it:

1. Buy the album the song was on, which meant having to shill out nearly $20 just for one or two songs.
a. If you bought a cassette tape, you had to fast-forward and rewind until you got to the song
b. If you bought a vinyl record, you had to make sure the needle was in the exact position. It was tricky, even with the grooves.

2. Hope the song is released as a single, and shill out about $7 to 10.

3. Hope your favorite radio station plays it, and announces it will be played before they play it, so you can pop in a cassette tape and record it.
a. But first, you end up recording a lot of commercial spots
b. For most radio stations, after they play a bumper, they'll play some other song before they play the one you want (often times
the DJ will say something like "We got some Sex Pistols, Stone Temple Pilots, and Smashing Pumpkins coming up after this!"), so you
have to put up with that
c. Also for most radio stations, especially those with asshole DJs, they will talk through the first few seconds of the song, which is fine if
it's just music, but it's still annoying as fuck.

Nowadays all you young'uns have to do is just get on your webosite boxes and with a few clicks of your clickety-whozits you can have the song for very little or no money, and upload it to your music thingawhatzits. Get the hell off the zoysia.
PRG

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:I definitely remember VHS, because we had a lot of those. Also floppy discs, which I used until flash drives came out. And Windows 95, since my grandma never upgraded her ancient machine. And non-digital music on CDs and Cassettes. And pagers/beepers. And AOL dial-up. And polyphonic ring tones on cell phones without cameras. And Pocket PCs. Okay, now I guess I'm moving into territory of tech that really isn't that old to some of you, but you get the point.

Apparently you forgot that CD cases used to have a Logo that read: "Compact Disc; Digital Audio." I suspect the logo was silently dropped when they tried on the non-standard CDs that don't play properly on a computer.

I am disappointed when the young'uns assume that the newfangled devices are improvements over the old ones. :D
Last edited by phillipsjk on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Did you get the number on that truck?

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:Heck, there are 13 year olds now that have never been around when Captain Planet was airing (fair call though, it still ran a lot after it stopped being produced)

"Earth! Water! Fire! Wind! Heart! By all the powers combined, I am CAPTAIN PLANET!"

XD

Okay, so I fail...I don't remember the exact ordering of the elements, except for Heart being last. But I remember most of the main characters as if it was yesterday. An Asian girl had Water, a red haired boy had Fire, a blonde girl had Air and a short black haired guy (whose voice I remember as being Filipino?) had Heart. Can't remember whom had Earth though.

aquilo wrote:The other day I had one of these moment after chatting with a first year at my university for a while before finding out that she was born in the '90s. Seriously, WTF? If you were born in the '90s you should be a little kid, and if you were born in the '00s you should be a baby.

I concur, good sir. I concur.

scenario3 wrote:And until the day I die, I will always hold on to the facts that a.) there will NEVER be a fad as amazing as Pokemon, and b.) nothing is more impossible to program than a VCR.

Tamagotchi.

However, I concur with B, even though it has never been an issue for me to program a VCR.

Max2009 wrote:My desk chair broke recently. I had been sitting on that chair for 20 years. It made me want to cry. Then I realized that that chair is older than many(most?) of the forumites here, and I wanted to shoot someone.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I can imagine it must have been the greatest chair in the world, not only because it lasted for so long but also because it had been thoroughly broken in and adjusted to your exact way of sitting and to your body.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Nowadays all you young'uns have to do is just get on your webosite boxes and with a few clicks of your clickety-whozits you can have the song for very little or no money, and upload it to your music thingawhatzits. Get the hell off the zoysia.

To be fair, you are exactly as capable of taking advantage of that now as they are :D

Blackjack

Postby Blackjack » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:I also remember when Nickelodeon was just one channel, and not split into three or four different channels. It also aired much better programming than the sludge it puts out today. Anyone else remember the original Snick lineup? Does anyone today even know what Snick means?

Saturday Night Nick!

I know that it had RoundHouse and Are You Afraid of the Dark. Can't really recall what else, but I do know that RoundHouse got replaced by All That. I also remember my sister loving Clarissa Explains it All during that same period of time, and Hey Dude.

On the topic of RoundHouse... I still want one of those recliners with the grill and the TV and stuff built in. That thing was the shit.

This was back when Beavis & Butthead was on at like 8:30, before some dumbass set himself on fire after watching it and they moved it to a way later timeslot.

Kimmeh

Postby Kimmeh » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:13 am UTC

*Note: I'm too lazy to quote all the appropriate posts, it would be a large list anyways.*

I'm almost 18. Somehow, I became old enough and mature enough to be a high school senior.
Today, someone said "Write me a note telling me what happened." The person this was told to said she would just text him.
I had a Disney movie marathon over the weekend. Most of my Disney movies are still on VHS.
I still have cassette tapes, and a working tape player. Ironically, I apart from my computer and DVD players, I don't have a working CD player.
I remember 9/11. I was in 4th grade and remember my mother specifically asking me what I learned in school, to see if it was mentioned. (It wasn't.)
In 7th grade ('04), I remember using a floppy to save a power point to from a school laptop. The next year, at a different school in the same county, the laptops didn't have a floppy drive.
In 9th grade ('06), two friends and I continued to share information with each other via floppy. I shared a notebook with the same friends where we'd write each other notes and just pass the notebook between classes.
My Sega still works and I play it frequently.
I still want my pogs back...

On the flip side, I just finished doing research for AP European History from Wikipedia with my high speed internet (for background info for a test, not a paper, don't freak out). I'm listening to music via a last.fm add-on in my browser. My headphones fit in my pocket. I frequently update my Facebook and Twitter from my phone. I'm on a FRC Robotics team, and have access to some of the most modern technology available. For free. And I know how to pull up a command prompt. (However, I can't seem to spell without Firefox...)

My team is part of a Beta test group for LabVIEW. The graphic based programming language used to program the LHC. Pretty nifty IMO.

Bob_the_Cannibal

Postby Bob_the_Cannibal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:30 am UTC

Let's see:
limit of non-creepy dating: 19.
First operating system: Windows 3.1
ubiquitous cell phones: no.
No Simpsons: Yes. (and I remember back when it was a big moral outrage, like South Park and Beavis and Butthead.)
First remembered president: Bush Sr.
Apple went through 3 major architectures in my lifetime. (68k, PPC, x86)
Notable TV: Transformers debuts in my birth year, Simpsons, Beavis and Butthead, and South Park all debut, Nintendo releases 4 home consoles, Microsoft releases 2, Sony with 3. VHS -> DVD (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war) DVD -> Blu-Ray. LASERDISC!
Notable events in my mind: Gulf War, fall of the Soviet Union, wolfenstein 3d released, Bill Clinton elected President, World Trade Center bombed (1993), Kurt Cobain partakes of the shotgun mouthwash, OJ Simpson (flees arrest, tried criminally, acquitted, tried civilly, held liable), WTO formed (and protested against quite a few times), Oklahoma City bombing, Calvin and Hobbes in the paper (and ending). Cassette tapes -> CDs -> MP3 (matter of fact, Napster when it was underground, and the whole hoo-rah about it.) Titanic was released, and the Prius debuts in Japan. The Euro becomes a currency. Google is launched (has it only been since 1998?!) and most importantly: You used to be able to board a flight without having to take your shoes off at the security checkpoint. As a matter of fact, you used to be able to walk right up to the boarding gate and meet the person who was landing. Internet at 14.4 Kbps!

wow.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:33 am UTC

Mikesername wrote:It has been 11 years since Dale Earnhardt SENIOR won his first Daytona 500.

It has been 8 years since Dale Earnhardt Senior died in his last Daytona 500.

It has been 2 years since I went to my first Daytona 500.

I'm 15.

I remember the big black "3"s at the tracks, I know why EA Sports's "NASCAR 2002" features a "3" on the opening screen, and yet, there are so many kids who will never know what number Dale Earnhardt, Sr was. EDIT: or even who he was... :\

He was my childhood hero, i am glad someone younger than me remembers him, i was 12 when it happened, one of the saddest things that can happen to a kid is to have his childhood hero die on TV in-front of their own eyes.

ISammael

Postby ISammael » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Correction: those born after Aladdin came out are /at most/ turning 18.

an axe murderer

Postby an axe murderer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

Another scary thing is that SQL Injection was known and discussed before 9/11, and yet here we are in a world still full of sites vulnerable to it.

As for me, I take comfort in the fact that I will always be younger than Neil Patrick Harris, no matter how old I get.

microwave

Can someone please explain this comic

Postby microwave » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

I have been reading XKCD since the beginning of its creation, just loving every comic.

But this comic right here..........has me so stumped and confused; could anyone kindly explain it to me?

http://xkcd.com/647/

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Re: Can someone please explain this comic

Postby Bobber » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

The older guy is shocked at how quickly time passes.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

It's a comment on how many things that we think of as definitive experiences that shaped our world view, and are thus freshly remembered, happened before many people were alive. The older uncle is being reminded by the younger kid that he is in fact, quite old.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

microwave

Postby microwave » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

"Izawwlgood" that's the same idea I had in mind, I guess it just wasn't funny.

But then again some of his comics aren't meant to be funny, this one kind of taught me a lesson about how old I actually am compared to how I feel.

It is kinda scary :shock:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

"microwave" I think it's supposed to be 'funny' in the same way that many of Randall's comics are just supposed to make you go "Huh, whaddaya know!"

But yeah, you aren't supposed to slap your knee and guffaw. To be honest, the people I've showed it to who can relate (i.e., are older then 10), chuckled and went "eegad, I -am- old". My guess is the people who aren't saying that, aren't going to find it funny.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

FemaleEngineer

Postby FemaleEngineer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

Not to come late to the party or anything...

I'm almost 25. This comic has me totally freaked out. (Quarter-life crisis?)

I remember going to see Aladdin in theaters for my 7th birthday. I thought my big brother was the coolest person ever because he came back from college to take me. And I remember staying through the credits to see the genie say "Made ya look!" at the end.

As for 9/11, I was a HS Senior, and my school tried to contain it for as long as possible, but around 11, the whole school knew what was going on, and there were plenty of freaked out kids whose parents worked at the Pentagon, or were supposed to be going to NYC that day. (One of them was in my dance class, which is when we found out. She was hyperventalating and a guidance councilor had to take her out of class, because her dad was supposed to be in a meeting in the WTC that day... thankfully, his plane was delayed and he never made it.) I remember the "emergency" early dismissal, driving home as many of the non-driving age kids as I could fit in my car, not being able to get a cell signal to call my parents to tell them I was breaking the rules by having someone else in the car while I was driving, and finally going home to watch the news.

I also remember a mock-election in my elemetary school for Bush Sr's second term. (AKA when Clinton was elected. I remember really wanting Bush to win for some strange reason.)

And on a happier note, the planeteers (in order) were Kwami (Earth), Wheeler (Fire), Linka (Wind), Gi (Water), and Matee (Heart). Linka was from the Soviet Union. I didn't even remember that until right now. The Soviet Union breaking apart didn't seem like a significant historical event at that age.

Also: SNICK! Roundhouse was amazing, and my dad still wants that motorized do-everything recliner that the dad would roll around in.

Anyone remember "You Can't Do that On Television?" I'm still amazed that kids these days don't know why people get slimed on Nick for saying "I don't know!" (Wait, do people get slimed anymore? I'm out of touch!)

And finally, someone (slightly older) mentioned hearing about a tv show called "The Gummy Bears," to which I responded, "THE GUMMIBEARS! I had forgotten about that!" and then proceeded to sing the theme song. ("Gummy bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere...")

::sigh::

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”