0651: "Bag Check"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Raptor Jesus

0651: "Bag Check"

Postby Raptor Jesus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Alt Text: A laptop battery contains roughly the stored energy of a hand grenade, and if shorted it ... hey! You can't arrest me if I prove your rules inconsistent!
Link: http://xkcd.com/651/
Haha... Oh and I forget how to put the link into the image
It is a mad world for anyone to think cellardoor is the most beautiful of all words. :D
“ He went extinct for your sins to save you from Satanasauras Rex”
~ Cretaceous 3:27
“ You Just Lost 'The Game' ”
~ Raptor Jesus

Omegaton

Re: "Bag Check" Discussion

Postby Omegaton » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Holy crap, five topics? Wow.

Just about anything you can carry onto a plane could be a deadly weapon.

Nintendon't

Postby Nintendon't » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Over 9000 topics.
That's what happens when everyone's lazy.

Edit: also, it's sad that the world has come to this.
Last edited by Nintendon't on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor Jesus

Postby Raptor Jesus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:Holy crap, five topics? Wow.

Exactly, and I was first also :D

Edit: I only made the topic because it was taking people too long :P
Last edited by Raptor Jesus on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It is a mad world for anyone to think cellardoor is the most beautiful of all words. :D
~ Raptor Jesus

Almost in register

Postby Almost in register » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:07 am UTC

GreenStormElf

Postby GreenStormElf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:08 am UTC

NInja'd five times. DAmmit.

Also, I wonder how hard that would be to do...

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Good comic!
I am often tempted to do this, but it really isn't worth the hassle of being arrested.
On the topic of creating topics, I tried to make a discussion just now and failed. For some reason I can't just copy the image into the thread, does that mean I have to save it, then upload it properly?

Raptor Jesus

Postby Raptor Jesus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:09 am UTC

rocketrat wrote:Good comic!
I am often tempted to do this, but it really isn't worth the hassle of being arrested.
On the topic of creating topics, I tried to make a discussion just now and failed. For some reason I can't just copy the image into the thread, does that mean I have to save it, then upload it properly?

Use the link under the comic on XKCD and put it inside of [img].[/img]
Last edited by Raptor Jesus on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~ Raptor Jesus

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:10 am UTC

Raptor Jesus wrote:
Omegaton wrote:Holy crap, five topics? Wow.

Exactly, and I was first also :D

Edit: I only made the topic because it was taking people too long :P

I noticed, I picked yours based on the fact your topic was the lowest number.

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:10 am UTC

Raptor Jesus wrote:
rocketrat wrote:Good comic!

Use the link under the comic on XKCD and put it inside of

You used the code correctly, so I can't see what code it is. I assume: [img ][ /img]?

Edit: Strange, they didn't show up before. I'll do that next time.
Last edited by rocketrat on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:10 am UTC

Clerk: "Do you have anything that might be considered a weapon in your bags?"
Me: (electric shaver, some string, glass bottle... ) "No sir. Not at all."

this was several years ago, they've probably gotten stricter since then...
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:13 am UTC

philsov wrote:Clerk: "Do you have anything that might be considered a weapon in your bags?"

Someone I know had two flick knives confiscated on landing at an airport. Not sure what the departure people at the airport he left from were doing.

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:13 am UTC

Almost in register wrote:Don't stuff beans up your nose, anyone?

Maybe we'll find out if the Department of Homeland Security and/or TSA reads xkcd!

Nintendon't

Postby Nintendon't » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:13 am UTC

philsov wrote:Clerk: "Do you have anything that might be considered a weapon in your bags?"

Today, someone could have liquefied the string and put in the glass bottle!
With such a weapon, you could destroy the universe!

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:15 am UTC

I've thought this every time I entered the Empire State Building with my laptop--they have metal detectors, x-ray machines, etc. The system is so easy to subvert that it seems to exist more as a calming device. Really, it would only stop idiots.

An even better idea than shorting the battery is just to put explosives inside it. Or fill the entire laptop with them, leaving just enough circuitry to turn on the screen. But I haven't mentioned that to the guards.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Raptor Jesus

Postby Raptor Jesus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:15 am UTC

Tom wrote:

Maybe we'll find out if the Department of Homeland Security and/or TSA reads xkcd!

They can't take laptop batteries unless it becomes a huge risk or they would also have to take all batteries. And the amount of people who use laptops on planes is huge.
~ Raptor Jesus

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:16 am UTC

Tom wrote:

I'm sure if they don't, someone that they know does...

Valisk

Postby Valisk » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:16 am UTC

I still cant believe they let people carry pencils on a plane.

Tiny spears!

Or Diminutive Arrows.

With a sufficiently stout paper clip, braided rubber bands, and a pencil case, and some tape i made a quite serviceable crossbow.

This was in middleschool..

Some how through a miracle of scheduling i managed to have 3 study halls in a row.

sleeply

Postby sleeply » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:17 am UTC

Raptor Jesus wrote:
Tom wrote:

They can't take laptop batteries unless it becomes a huge risk or they would also have to take all batteries. And the amount of people who use laptops on planes is huge.

Also, some laptops have built-in batteries, so that would be quite a hassle.
Last edited by sleeply on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A poster for the philosophy club wrote:What if the world were a pineapple and we were all talking violins?
A poster for the math club, with an arrow pointing to the above sign wrote:Someone must have divided by zero!

atrain

Postby atrain » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:18 am UTC

There are so many unique and creative ways to bring destructive / harmful objects onto a plane. Anybody with enough brains + determination will be able to do it. Airport security is just for show. Liquids are just the flavor of the month...

We smuggled live bullets as carry-on just by duct-taping them to a weird shaped rock. They did manage to catch a tube of toothpaste. Imagine the destructive power of CLEAN TEETH!

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:18 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:I've thought this every time I entered the Empire State Building with my laptop--they have metal detectors, x-ray machines, etc. The system is so easy to subvert that it seems to exist more as a calming device. Really, it would only stop idiots.

An even better idea than shorting the battery is just to put explosives inside it. Or fill the entire laptop with them, leaving just enough circuitry to turn on the screen. But I haven't mentioned that to the guards.

Tom wrote:Maybe we'll find out if the Department of Homeland Security and/or TSA reads xkcd!

Now we will also find out if they read the xkcd forum. Keep an eye out of Comic JK suddenly stops posting.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Jesus Christ, I almost posted a topic, but I was held back by the thought that someone else would post in the ~forty-five seconds it would have taken me!

Also, I know the stored energy is about that of a hand grenade, but the question is releasing it all at once...it seems like it would be hard to do that without, at the very least, a knife hard enough to cut laptop-battery-hard plastic and a length of wire, both of which would be confiscated, and the former of which would be hard to improvise.

Really, just let whoever the fuck wants to go onto a plane on. Terrorists are like velociraptors - they will find a way.

mystichobo

Postby mystichobo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:19 am UTC

I wonder If they would let you take a parachute on as hand luggage?

Great comic :D

meat.paste

Postby meat.paste » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:21 am UTC

I had a friend who once answered the question "do you have anything in the bag that you could use to injure someone?" He responded with, "Well, I could hit someone over the head with my laptop." It took ~15 minutes, a supervisors involvement, and an admonishment to not make jokes about security before they let him through.

I traveled extensively for several years. The gaping holes in our security net appall me. There is a large element of window dressing to let the public feel safer. It galls the crap out of me. Sigh.
Huh? What?

quadmaster

Postby quadmaster » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:26 am UTC

The thing is, making the public feel safer is Homeland Security's job. All the show is just to dissuade the majority of potential terrorists, because the people who are good at it are going to succeed anyways.
Also, wouldn't it suck if someone hijacked a plane in the next few days with a laptop bomb? Do you think Randal would go to jail?
I... I didn't do it.
<- he did it, I swear

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:29 am UTC

meat.paste wrote:I had a friend who once answered the question "do you have anything in the bag that you could use to injure someone?" He responded with, "Well, I could hit someone over the head with my laptop." It took ~15 minutes, a supervisors involvement, and an admonishment to not make jokes about security before they let him through.

I traveled extensively for several years. The gaping holes in our security net appall me. There is a large element of window dressing to let the public feel safer. It galls the crap out of me. Sigh.

That's one that's always amused me. There are an amazing number of things I can bring on a plane that would make very serviceable weapons if simply used to bludgeon someone.

Also, I've always wondered about people highly skilled in unarmed combat. Shouldn't we tie them up or make them check their limbs or something before we let them on the plane?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

joee

Postby joee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:30 am UTC

I still think it's weird they won't let you take water on board >.<

I've had a pair of tweezers taken, when I could just as easily stab someone with a pen. Or break the mirror I had and use that.

Won't they detect explosives in a laptop? Here they do random explosives checks on bags.

Also, HI GLASNT
Hi glasnt.

dragoneye1589

Postby dragoneye1589 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:30 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:Jesus Christ, I almost posted a topic, but I was held back by the thought that someone else would post in the ~forty-five seconds it would have taken me!

Also, I know the stored energy is about that of a hand grenade, but the question is releasing it all at once...it seems like it would be hard to do that without, at the very least, a knife hard enough to cut laptop-battery-hard plastic and a length of wire, both of which would be confiscated, and the former of which would be hard to improvise.

Really, just let whoever the fuck wants to go onto a plane on. Terrorists are like velociraptors - they will find a way.

It wouldn't be that difficult, you only need a couple millimeters of wire to complete a short on a standard cell, and the thin plastic covering the cell isn't that difficult to get off. The length of wire would be included in the battery pack you would take onto the airplane.

On that note, there are a few safety mechanisms that are supposed to prevent a Li-ion cell from exploding, such as a disk that flips to disconnect the cathode when too much pressure builds up into the cell. Shorting a cell should not cause it to explode unless the safety mechanisms have been tampered with or there is a fault in the cell.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:42 am UTC

It's amazing how paranoid we are about planes when our entire rail system is a sitting duck.

TheLimerick

Postby TheLimerick » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:44 am UTC

A limerick for today's comic:

A man passed through airport security
To profess of the rulebook's impurity
He complained to the guard
Who gave a look quite hard
Which simply showed his maturity.
Whether you like my verses or not
I'll just give them the skill that I've got
Because sooner or later
I'll find something greater
And these poems will soon be forgot.

King

Postby King » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:50 am UTC

It would be easy enough for someone to tamper with the battery beforehand. If you were really clever you could probably disable all the safety mechanisms and wire up the short circuit to a switch, so all you had to do was take out the battery and hit the switch.

Does a battery really have as much energy in it as a grenade though? Can any one link some figures on this?
Yesterday never was, and tomorrow never will be.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:52 am UTC

we are allowed to take water onto the plane. we just have to refill our bottle once we are past security.

i was once coming back from a trip and had souvenirs in my backpack. a box of matches and a jar of this sweet nutella like stuff. the security yelled at me because it was of 'liquid-consistency' but ignored the matches.

edit: i really enjoyed this comic
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

bob k. mando

Postby bob k. mando » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:53 am UTC

It's amazing how paranoid we are about planes when our entire rail system is a sitting duck.

well, you know, it would be rather difficult to crash a freight train into the Twin Towers or the Pentagon or the White House.

atomfullerene

Postby atomfullerene » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:54 am UTC

I've always wondered about some sort of ceramic or carbon composite based knife as a highly smuggleable weapon. Surely you could make something sharp and tough and nonmetallic, and strap it to your inner thigh (but now they are rolling out those imaging systems, which might get around this loophole). Still, I really only complain about this stuff because a) the liquids rules are obnoxious, and b) it bugs me that I can't travel with my small, inoffensive lizard. I mean, its WAY less likely to cause trouble than a dog or cat, but noooooo.........

Although I did take a live fish through the scanner once. The checker looked at me kinda funny, but they let me go through. This was clearly before all the recent nonsense.

Also, traveling with dive gear is guaranteed to net you some funny looks.

fabiocbinbutter

Postby fabiocbinbutter » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:55 am UTC

When asking a guard, without flattery,
to tell me what was the matter, he
took my water away,
said the laptop could stay,
for you cannot assault with a battery

TheLimerick

Postby TheLimerick » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:58 am UTC

fabiocbinbutter wrote:When asking a guard, without flattery,
to tell me what was the matter, he
took my water away,
said the laptop could stay,
for you cannot assault with a battery

...I see I've some work to do if I'm to be doing this every comic. Kudos.
Whether you like my verses or not
I'll just give them the skill that I've got
Because sooner or later
I'll find something greater
And these poems will soon be forgot.

Postby 6453893 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:59 am UTC

I know we couldn't have thought police in airports without it eventually being implemented everywhere and leading to a hellish dystopia, but it would be really nice just to walk right up to the gate with pre-screened Not A Terrorist status.

Magic Molly

Postby Magic Molly » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Just go neo style!

I was trying to find an image of that scene in the first one where he just pulls open his coat to reveal a dozen odd guns and shoots his way through the checkpoint, but to no avail.

slightlydead

Postby slightlydead » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:05 am UTC

A questioning look, in hand a bottle of liquid
the guard asks, nitroglycerin or gatorade?
I protest, everything in my bag is insipid
except the makeshift battery grenade

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 am UTC

joee wrote:Also, HI GLASNT

HI JOEE

They shouldn't allow intestines on a plane. One could easily fashion them into: a noose, a blanket to smother someone (given sufficient length), a woolly-bloodied hat (that's a fashion crime that is), and many other items.
Last edited by glasnt on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”