0652: "More Accurate"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Max2009

Re: "More Accurate" Discussion

Postby Max2009 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:02 am UTC

I've seen those things in action, and they are freaky-scary.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

fenix849

Postby fenix849 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:02 am UTC

I really hate to be a kill joy/pedant but this is xkcd..

These are not robots, they are usually described as a UAV, this topic of conversation usually ends up in the murky depths of the definition of the term robot.

The primary reason these aren't robots is because they require atleast partial human input/control.

If this is a robot so is my RC helicopter.

Other that little misnomer, nice comic.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:04 am UTC

Actually, some of them have enough intelligence to track and target units on their own, and they do.

Also, I just finished a Terminator marathon which lasted for several days (it included TTSCC) so, Randall... you know the rest.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:06 am UTC

riddler wrote:The scary thing about this comic is not that there are fleets of kill-drones patrolling the skies, but the fact that the citizens of this country have allowed them to do it. Any ideals about democracy and/or liberty that you associated with the USA can now be disposed of in the nearest dustbin.

As long as they're under the control of the duly appointed military, under the duly elected government operating as such, any weapons from drones to nukes to supernova worldkillers are compatible with democracy and liberty.

When the duly elected government (or the duly appointed military) stops operating as such, then it's dustbin time, whether they have nukes or bare fists.
---------
BlueNight

fenix849

Postby fenix849 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:10 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:Actually, some of them have enough intelligence to track and target units on their own, and they do.

Also, I just finished a Terminator marathon which lasted for several days (it included TTSCC) so, Randall... you know the rest.

They're still being who to bomb, though, just not where (& possibly when).

And if they aren't. :shock:

I know enough about people as a whole to know that they can and will given enough time and opportunity screw shit up, regardless of how important it is.

*starts digging bomb shelter*

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:11 am UTC

pyroman wrote:You mean the future machine base isn't going to have USB compliant robots and conveniently placed keyboard terminal access stations located all over their base? (I'm looking at you latest terminator movie) But how else are the humans supposed to H4x0r into their mainframe?

Oh, they can do it with ad-hoc viruses a la Independence Day.

Editer wrote:...If Arnie can't find SC, it doesn't matter how strong he is or what weapons he has...

I still don't understand why future Skynet doesn't just neutron bomb the bubble and squeak out of everything living and stop fooling around with John Conner like he's some cat toy.

erl137 wrote:The air and space museum has a Predator drone now. You can look it right in the viewslit. Damn terrifying.

Oh, and the kill-y-er ones are called Reapers, now.

Those of us of a certain age (me, for example) who stood before the training mock-ups of Soviet and U.S. ICBMs in the Air and Space Museum (that's at the Smithsonian if you're keeping score) had one of the strongest emotional reactions of any in our (my) lives (life). "Duck and cover" my shiny hiney. If the poised finger had contacted the crimson button - bye bye - and we came this: ->||<- close (I'm not exaggerating one bit). Among my favorite movies of all time: Dr. Strangelove (or ...) and Failsafe. I don't know if those ICBMs are still on display. By the way, the reaction has returned. Excuse me for a moment...

ExplodingTeeth wrote:If I remember, the issue was that in 2029 they only had the technology to send back organic tissue. And because of that both terminators couldn't be sent back with high powered weaponry or you couldn't have sent some enormous robotic killing machine. The whole shotguns fighting robots had to do with that he was transported back to 1984 los angeles in the naked flesh. As well as back in 1984 there wasn't assassins patrolling the sky. Great comic though.

My disbelief was unsuspended for the organic tissue thing, what with all the clockwork in his guts. Wrapping it in skin somehow made the difference? Puh-lease!

fenix849 wrote:...If this is a robot so is my RC helicopter...

I give you this.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Magic Molly

Postby Magic Molly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Jeez. It takes the filter going down for me to find out what all the burning cheese stuff it about. I figured it was a word filter, and tried all sorts of swear words, never though lol would do it.

Anyways, this one's a winner.

Also, since the hardware on the drones doesn't matter nearly as much as the software, an evil genius could make a super-program and use a virus to put it into the military's drones... oh noes. And then have one get caught, so we can send it through time to kill the deuce's mum.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:15 am UTC

Magic Molly wrote:Jeez. It takes the filter going down for me to find out what all the burning cheese stuff it about. I figured it was a word filter, and tried all sorts of swear words, never though lol would do it.

I think I may be missing a word filter. I know lol and the game, but which one did everybody notice now?

fenix849

Postby fenix849 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:25 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
fenix849 wrote:...If this is a robot so is my RC helicopter...

I give you this.

Wow, im torn.. its sooo cool, but the potential repercussion of misuse similar technology utterly blow my mind.

TheLimerick

Postby TheLimerick » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:12 am UTC

A limerick for today's comic:

Sarah Connor's got nothing to fear
While her lover Kyle Reese is here
But look up! Robot bomb's
Headed for John Connor's mom
For the future is now, this is clear
Whether you like my verses or not
I'll just give them the skill that I've got
Because sooner or later
I'll find something greater
And these poems will soon be forgot.

Al-pocalypse

Postby Al-pocalypse » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:26 am UTC

What people forget is that there were autonamous 'robotic' drone destroyer aircraft in world war 2. They were the flying bombs: V1 and v2 rockets. Launched from belgium by the germans to attack Britain (usually london). However, they had no form of intelligence. They relied on being pointed in the right direction and just compensating for climatic changes.

Of the current Unmanned Air Vehicles there are varying categories of autonamous ranging from fully human controlled to almost total AI control, interesting to look at are the BAE Systems HERTI and Taranis UAVs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_HERTI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Taranis
Ali ;)

"If I were creating a world I wouldn't mess around with butterflies and daffodiles. I'd have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!"
[BOOM!]
"...sorry..."

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:29 am UTC

Also, I offer this quote from a character in a (new) Battlestar Galactica RPG campaign - a retired engineer, who was on the team that built the original Cylon soldiers on Caprica:

"We made them almost as smart as us, and just as vicious. And then we were so surprised when they turned on us."

axirim

Postby axirim » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Honestly, the Reaper bit made me think of Eagle Eye.
Spoiler:
Military AI in beta commandeers a Reaper and blows the sh- cabbage out of traffic.

Spoiler:
Censorship is taking over.

AL_

Postby AL_ » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:36 am UTC

I realise the program was started well before the movies, but you do realise that Skynet is real, yes?

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:51 am UTC

AL_ wrote:I realise the program was started well before the movies, but you do realise that Skynet is real, yes?

Yeah, I knew that. I think that there was some kind of reference to Skynet in some military/action/spy movie I saw, without any connection to Terminator.

lordswift

Postby lordswift » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:52 am UTC

Link removed. Read the rules.

Funny this comic comes up. Maybe skynet is already getting started. haha
Last edited by Felstaff on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed.

JeromeWest

Postby JeromeWest » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:58 am UTC

I thought at first this was a Terminator 3 reference.

While the whole "T-1000 can't make complex moving parts" plot device in T2 was pretty tenuous, at least it provided some excuse why he didn't instantly wipe the floor with the Governator and the humans. What idiot scriptwriter for T3 thought "hey, it'd be even cooler if we make this one a woman, and make her capable of anything!"

I'm surprised they didn't decide that her systems have a problem with heat dissipation, necessitating her spending the majority of the movie in her underwear.

Grug

Postby Grug » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:59 am UTC

dennisw wrote:My disbelief was unsuspended for the organic tissue thing, what with all the clockwork in his guts. Wrapping it in skin somehow made the difference? Puh-lease!

That bit always got me too... they have a time bubble sphere about 3m in diameter in which they could easily fit a couple of terminators, a super future-weapon or five and a small nuke, then wrap them all up in a cow or two.
Heck, that is enough room for a dozen liquid-metal terminators - and we saw how much grief one of those buggers can cause...

SANAFABICH

Postby SANAFABICH » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:48 am UTC

funny wild stuff

section-8

Postby section-8 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:04 am UTC

You know...when those preds go offline, they are incredibly dangerous - but only to other aircrew in the area. They just go to a predetermined altitude and chill out until they get signal back. Until it runs out of gas, its not really a threat (to anyone on the ground).

And they most certainly do not go on fire missions autonomously.

jeszjesz

Postby jeszjesz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:10 am UTC

Brilliant.
"My heart is nothing more than an engine forged from the remnants of a dead star" - Kimiko Ross (Dresden Codak - Anagoge Starring Tiny Carl Jung)

RandAlThor

Postby RandAlThor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:14 am UTC

Another "Oh me yarm we've reached the future isn't it crazy how things are different to how they were when we were younger" comic?

Really, Randy? Really?

radtea

Postby radtea » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:41 am UTC

I was hiking with a friend the other day who has a number of relatives involved in the space program, and commented, "So and so was with us for Thanksgiving [in Canada Thanksgiving was last week] but her husband couldn't make it because he's on the space station right now."

It made me feel like I was living in the future, the way it was supposed to be.

As this comic points out, we have entered the the future. We just haven't learned a damned thing from the past before doing so, and still think that killing people is an efficient means of solving problems. It is--in rare cases--effective. It is never efficient, economically or morally.
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com

nirvana_grace

Postby nirvana_grace » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:59 am UTC

" . . . Cro-Magnon University Prof. Ogg has invented the 'arrow' -- an autonomous weapon which, released by the inventor, flies by itself to the target and, witnesses claim, is capable of killing a Neanderthal with no physical contact to its wielder." -- Neolithic News Network

It's all just better rocks.
Sure, there are always unintended consequences -- but I can't do nothin' about 'em.

nfmccrina

Postby nfmccrina » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:13 pm UTC

riddler wrote:The scary thing about this comic is not that there are fleets of kill-drones patrolling the skies, but the fact that the citizens of this country have allowed them to do it. Any ideals about democracy and/or liberty that you associated with the USA can now be disposed of in the nearest dustbin.

The government possessing extremely powerful weapons doesn't automatically mean democracy and liberty are gone. It's what it does with them that counts. I haven't heard of any protest marches or other peaceful assemblies getting wiped out by killer robots.

Not that I think our government is actually intent on protecting the liberty of its citizens :roll:

Christo

Postby Christo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

That's funny. I've come across two other webcomics in the last week that reference Terminator. Oddly both of them have to do with Terminators having sex.

Most definitely not appropriate for work:
The Cutting Room
and
Backspace (The bottom left strip).
Last edited by Felstaff on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed. Read the rules.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

SolkaTruesilver

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

section-8 wrote:You know...when those preds go offline, they are incredibly dangerous - but only to other aircrew in the area. They just go to a predetermined altitude and chill out until they get signal back. Until it runs out of gas, its not really a threat (to anyone on the ground).

And they most certainly do not go on fire missions autonomously.

Wait, so they go all silent and they stay where they are to surprise you...?

They can aim at kilometer away?

They are meant to kill instantly, and completely?

We have created Flying Ninja Robot Sniper Assassins, people!!! VICTORY!!!

halcyon1234

Postby halcyon1234 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

Any time super-technology and war come together, belief suspension is needed in major doses.

Allow me to demonstrate:

Commander Star Trek Villain . "Hmm, I'd love to destroy my enemy's homeworld. But how?

Engineer Henchman: "Well, we could beam all their civilians into space. Or put self-replicating replicators into their solar system until they use up all the mass in their sector. Or a pound of the anti-matter in our engines would take out most of the livable surface of their planet. Hell, for that matter, just take one of our warp engines, strap it to a large asteroid, then slam it into the planet at Warp 9."
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

HonoreDB

Postby HonoreDB » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

Transporter: Tried in Star Trek Insurrection, was too slow and easily countered, so they resorted to Predator drones.

The rest seem like super-bombs dressed up with technobabble--a hi-tech planet blows them up before they get close, a low-tech one gets devastated and the Enterprise has to come rescue them.

I re-watched Terminator last night. Not necessarily a coincidence, since I rewatched it because it showed up on Netflix On-Demand, which means its prominence in the zeitgeist probably rose recently.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

Prions wrote:
Gavin.Immer wrote:I think I'm missing something...what exactly is the point to this?

The more recent US Army/Nava/Air Force commercials feature futuristic, sci fi like, scenes. Each commercial features the robotic plane doing something cool and futuristic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiB3vrhPDNs

What they forgot to add to the video was this contraption. And whoever made the video has it wrong: All the military action movie music in the world won't make it look any less ridiculous as it wobbles along. We'll all be hearing this none the less.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Magic Molly

Postby Magic Molly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Prions wrote:
Gavin.Immer wrote:I think I'm missing something...what exactly is the point to this?

The more recent US Army/Nava/Air Force commercials feature futuristic, sci fi like, scenes. Each commercial features the robotic plane doing something cool and futuristic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiB3vrhPDNs

What they forgot to add to the video was this contraption. And whoever made the video has it wrong: All the military action movie music in the world won't make it look any less ridiculous as it wobbles along. We'll all be hearing this none the less.

That looked... fragile. I love how it never got more than about 100 ft off the ground.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

halcyon1234 wrote:Any time super-technology and war come together, belief suspension is needed in major doses.

I always figured that when super-technology and war collide sometime in the future, the end will come so quickly, we won't even have time to debate it. Someone will push a button and it will be done.

Let me share with you another favorite comic that illustrates the idea so succinctly.

http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF162-Executive_Decision.jpg

and

http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF111-Reset.jpg
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

EWE! SKYNET wrapped a Predator Drone in flesh. GROSS!!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

Haha, this comic is pretty clever. Back when Terminator was made, those flying planes would've been from the future.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

Omegaton wrote:Haha, this comic is pretty clever. Back when Terminator was made, those flying planes would've been from the future.

This
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

What is that?

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

HK (or Hunter-Killer) drone from the Terminator movies.

Also, I liked today's comic. Predator drones (technically Reapers, which is the armed variant and a hilariously OTT name) are pretty neat. Although, no, they aren't technically robots as has been said.

I liked someone's idea of SKYNET sending back a nuke embedded in a cow, though. Poor cow, but hilariously simple. Only problem; I think a cow would be slightly more conspicuous than even a heavily-muscled austrian man if it tried to ask a bar owner for the location of Sarah Connor.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

yavinfour

Postby yavinfour » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Why is it just a an MQ-1 Predator instead of an MQ-9 Reaper which can carry more bombs by default?
and there's a newer, stealthy (and scarier) one named General Atomics Avenger
BTW, these UAV's are so awesome in action, I hope you see some of them in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and EagleEye.

when I was small im scared of those Terminator Films.
Last edited by yavinfour on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

yavinfour wrote:Why is it just a an MQ-1 Predator instead of an MQ-9 Reaper which can carry more bombs by default?
and there's a newer, stealthy (and scarier) one named General Atomics Avenger
BTW, these UAV's are so awesome in action, I hope you see some of them in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and EagleEye.

Before when I was small im scared of those Terminator Films.

The General Atomics Avenger? That sounds like something out of Fallout or Flash Gordon.

Still, I remember first time I saw one of those UCAVs was in the MI:III film. I want a touchscreen-controlled Reaper. :(
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

yavinfour

Postby yavinfour » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:The General Atomics Avenger? That sounds like something out of Fallout or Flash Gordon.

Yeah, can't believe the name sucks a bit.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”