xkcd Geocities Site Redesign

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

phantom16

Re: Geocities redesign discussion

Postby phantom16 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:49 am UTC

haha, i just wanted to say that this was priceless!

at first i thought my computer was freaking out on me, and then i got it ;-)

nunks

Postby nunks » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:59 am UTC

Simply incredible, and incredibly nostalgic.
I used to have a website with a Mission: Impossible theme song MIDI playing together with a perfecly timed GIF animation of a timebomb blowing up. My all-time masterpiece... wonder if I still have it archived on some floppy disk somewhere...

Thanks a lot!

Troy Martin

Postby Troy Martin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:11 am UTC

SO MOTHEREFFIN AWESOME!

I popped into xkcd.com and saw this and was like "WTF" and then quickly switched to "Oh me yarm AWESOME!"
Howdy.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:24 am UTC

KestralTweet wrote:This whole thread makes me feel lucky enough to not have used the Internet in this time. For my eyes would have bled horribly... >.>

Did people honestly think this looked good?

Well, the noisy background images were kind of a thing (though even then most people knew better than to do animated backgrounds, or backgrounds that had too much dynamic range) - generally a more appropriate foreground color would have been chosen for dark backgrounds. The light green is decent, but not being used consistently.

The beveled borders like that were the only kind of border you could reliably make around something (not even a solid line was possible)

Some aspects of the design are parodies of common _problems_ rather than actual design choices (like the broken images and misc html tags - I'd also class the blue border around images in links as such a thing).

Comic Sans - well, there was a time before it was overused. And it wasn't really the most common font used back then.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Kame wrote:What? I'm allowed to right click and there's no warning about how I'm not supposed to steal their site!? What is this!?

Don't worry, they've got a secure password-protected input box if you try to enter their admin area, so they're safe!

(That is, until you open the source...)
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Sp3ctre18

Postby Sp3ctre18 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:10 am UTC

Ah yes, the horrible memories of the early days of the internet. It's horrible now, but it was horrible even then! I don'tk now why we ever went through that stage.... random people making these ugly sites. Even when personal homepages were "new," no one liked these layouts, everyone hated the MIDI loops, everyone got epilespy from the fonts....

funny / sad thing is...you can STILL find sites like these out there....and no they're not geocities....

DHeadshot

Postby DHeadshot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:30 am UTC

The magic of Geocities lives on in Angelfire, Freewebs and that one beginning with P that I can't remember right now and can't be bothered to look up...

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:43 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
phlip wrote:It doesn't do anything, it's not a real attribute.

Well, then, what's the joke then? If it doesn't work for HTML, what does it do in the language or whatever it does work for? Certainly it can't be there just randomly.

SHELL= comes from Windows 3.x initialisation files. Normally it would be set to SHELL=PROGMAN.EXE to indicate that you wanted to boot into Program Manager, but you could set it to a different shell, such as Norton Desktop (or DOSShell if you just wanted a teeny-tiny semi-GUI).

SHELL=REGEDIT.EXE... well, let's just say it would be an unusual choice, since the registry didn't exist in those versions of Windows where SHELL= was used :)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:23 am UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:the registry didn't exist in those versions of Windows where SHELL= was used
No, Win3.1 had a registry, it was just way cut-down compared to what later Windows versions had. It basically served only to hold the file extension associations and register OLE providers (in basically the same format as they still are in HKCR... it was even still called HKCR, but I don't think there were any other roots). Programs could, in theory, store settings in there instead of INI files, but few did.

See for yourself: default view, advanced view.

Certainly no reason you'd ever want to use it as the shell, though.

[edit] Incidentally, while making those screenshots, I discovered the year, according to winfile, is 19:9. I guess next year will be 19;0. Good to know.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

There's only one thing missing - the floating box with some Geocities ad, or searchbox or whatever, that would frantically try to move as you scrolled, but the machines of the time just weren't fast enough.

I have a confession to make - my website used to be on Geocities for a while, when I switched ISPs. It lasted a year or so, until Yahoo took over and started inserting ads. I just took it elsewhere - nobody gets to put an ad on me without a fat wad of money landing in my pocket (never happened, but the principle stands nevertheless).

Wait... maybe this xkcd should be viewed with AdBlock turned off? Did I miss something?
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

Something odd is going on.

As I type this, nowhere in the world is it still 26th of October... and yet GeoCities is still there. So are all the pages.

Although... some of the GIFs have stopped.
Last edited by Whyareall on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:SHELL=REGEDIT.EXE... well, let's just say it would be an unusual choice, since the registry didn't exist in those versions of Windows where SHELL= was used :)

The registry has been in existence in some form since windows 3.1, and alternate shells worked until at least XP (don't know if the system.ini entry still worked, but it did in 9x which had the registry mostly as it exists now)

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

Whyareall wrote:Something odd is going on.

As I type this, nowhere in the world is it still 26th of October... and yet GeoCities is still there. So are all the pages.

Although... some of the GIFs have stopped.

I was more or less expecting this. Yahoo wouldn't seem to gain much by nuking everything in a hurry, especially since they're trying to get geocities users to switch to a paid hosting plan. If you go to geocities.com it still claims to be closing on the 26th though.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

I suppose they only shut down the general service of accepting users and editing pages. They might keep the actual pages online for a while, perhaps for all this mad backing up process being done by a lot of people.

And the design has reverted...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

accessory to oranges

Postby accessory to oranges » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:35 pm UTC

This is funny because earlier this week i was wondering what would happen if i went back in time on the internet, (probably nothing much) but then went to xkcd and wondered if it had really happened
We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm killed Jeeves. The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm constantly finds Jesus. This is not the algorithm. This is close.

Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

Even though it is a day to late I have to post here.
I started HTML back when I was 12 in 2002, where Javascripts were still a must, css was scary and tables + gifs were a so called layout.
This comic really took me back at that time.
Nobody thought of youtube/myspace/whatever and I was only allowed to have 180min online-time in a month. (with ISDN)
I got my own website back in 2004. I was hosted on a small frehoster. And it had a css and div based design. (which was not very common at that time.)
I still used ISDN so each big update costed a lot of money.
It looked more professional then our schools page.

I had already forgotten about table-designs, marquee, blink and stuff like that when we discussing html at school (2 years ago).
I really wanted to shoot my teacher for talking about marquee as a useful tag. Finally I did a 90min presentation about CSS and layouts based on div, which he uses now for teaching. :roll:

Thanks for bringing back all those lovely memories.
Sebastian
I'm just a poor german student triyng to improve my english.

myrmaid

Postby myrmaid » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

This brought back memories of middle school that I had forgotten/blocked out for my own sanity. My friend and I had a geocities based on gossip about our middle school class, yes that is how cool we where. My friend created most of it based on HTML she had learned from playing neopets, which should tell you something about how it looked. It's sad that I have no memory of what it was called, would have liked to give it a proper send-off.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Okay, now it's dead.

Goodbye GeoCities.

DHeadshot

Postby DHeadshot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

I'm going to upload Everything I Mirrorred...

divisionbyzero

Re: Geocities redesign discussion - let it stay like that!

Postby divisionbyzero » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

rofl totally awesome. Loaded the site at about 7ish Monday morning and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Thought the site had been hacked for a second.

After it dawned on me what day it was I started a quick blog post and then the memories came flooding back - using frontpage express to makes a frames based page, with marquee, blink and a starfield background, and fonts that only I had, so everyone else would see arial - but hey, I was 10 and blissfully ignorant, all I wanted was somewhere to upload mp3s to!

I'll reiterate what I said at the end of my blog, I dare you Randall to leave the site looking like that for the rest of the year, that would be a truly fitting send off.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to design a new Wordpress theme, anyone care to hazard a guess what it'll look like?

sableye22

Postby sableye22 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Is it safe? :shock:

[/peeking cautiously]

Okay. That was cool.
You don't have to spend, you just have to pretend.

Drooling Iguana

Postby Drooling Iguana » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:13 am UTC

Eugo wrote:I have a confession to make - my website used to be on Geocities for a while, when I switched ISPs. It lasted a year or so, until Yahoo took over and started inserting ads. I just took it elsewhere - nobody gets to put an ad on me without a fat wad of money landing in my pocket (never happened, but the principle stands nevertheless).

Geocities was inserting ads long before the Yahoo takeover. My first experience with pop-ups was with Geocities in 1997, which annoyed me so much that I took my site (containing the .MODs I made in high school) over to Tripod.com. We just didn't stand for that sort of thing back then.

00Davo

Postby 00Davo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:34 am UTC

Aww... it's gone now.

I request a URL parameter to re-enable it. Something like: http://xkcd.com/?eyebleed='true' :)

Under A Pale Grey Sky

Postby Under A Pale Grey Sky » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:33 am UTC

DHeadshot wrote:I'm going to upload Everything I Mirrorred...

Wow, everything here is under review. :shock:
Firelight holds their peace
Sing farewell by smoke in the cold
We farewell the old
As they fall to silence.

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

00Davo wrote:Aww... it's gone now.

I request a URL parameter to re-enable it. Something like: http://xkcd.com/?eyebleed='true' :)

Yea, I hope that that was archived somewhere. It was a thing of horrible beauty.
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

LSN

Postby LSN » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

myrmaid wrote:This brought back memories of middle school that I had forgotten/blocked out for my own sanity. My friend and I had a geocities based on gossip about our middle school class, yes that is how cool we where. My friend created most of it based on HTML she had learned from playing neopets, which should tell you something about how it looked. It's sad that I have no memory of what it was called, would have liked to give it a proper send-off.

ahaha my first big go at HTML was neopets stuff

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:10 am UTC

[html][head title="Sad, but inspired" embed="NVRGNAGV.MID"][/head][body textcolor=#FFEE77 bgcolor=#001122 background="kaleido.gif" link=33EE00]
[h1][marquee][blink]
I'd just like to offer my own note of thanks for that thoughtful little tribute, Randall.
[/blnik][/maquis][/hl] :roll: :oops: :cry: :lol:
[!---]O SHI----------------- .... ok, what did i miss out there? This post under construction.
That error is NOT intentional btw.
OK if that turns everything brick red, then the "color" commands can't be stacked.
---!]
EDIT: Fix't. Colour commands can't be stacked in phpBBcode as they can html.

I've been away for some days because I kind of got in on the dying shirt tails of Archive Team's effort to slurp everything possible out of it before some luckless intern was given the task of flipping all the switches and hearing the thrum of a hundred ancient, barely-used servers spin down into eerie silence. Seems like "the little guy" is sort of outclassed in this kind of game though; most of the people involved are sysadmins who have a run of high powered servers and 100+ mbit lines practically to themselves (or at least able to invent spurious reasons for several months of poor performance to their bosses and users). Still, I've had a go at picking up what I can, and as of right now SOME portions of the site ARE still active. Presumably they're the Geocities Plus customers who have an extended grace period to transfer to Yahoo Hosting - judging by the extent of the accounts (at least one has LARGE, as in >20mb digicam MOV files, and many have scads of >1mb mp3s and jpgs) as they spin thru my remaining wget terminals* - but even they won't last forever.

Sure it comes in for a lot of flak, and a lot of it justified, but remember to apply Sturgeon's law. The ratio of good to bad on the wider web is also about the same, you just don't often see it compressed all together. And the good outside of Geo was naturally a whole lot better than what it could ultimately muster, in terms of design and tech. But the point of the archiving was twofold; 1/ for good or ill, it's an integral part of web history, and erasing it without any record kept would be a minor flavour of holocaust denial, 2/ inamongst the heaving piles of crap, there were considerable gems, many of which were the only copies of said data, research, prose, personal info, photographs, etc out there, and were referenced by diverse sources (including MANY by wikipedia, the other site it's Cool To Hate). Even if we amplify Sturgeon to 99%, there were, at latest estimate, knocking on for a million accounts at one point, and several terabytes of data. One-hundredth of that is still an awesome collection of useful, if somewhat basic looking, serious web librarying. I mean, just in what I managed to collect over a couple of PCs/net connections and ~48 hours of intermittent spidering, there's probably more stuff than I could sensibly read thru and check in my lifetime, but someone, somewhere, may find use for various bits of it. It's a massive block of data, and regardless of how many broken gifs and blinking text migranes it had (myself being responsible for quite a few, before I resigned myself to just tossing together plain black-on-white pages of photo thumbnails that linked to fullsize ones, and the occasional thing-that's-technically-a-blog-but-only-just), I can only put to you the baby/bathwater equation.

That and the sheer, pleasure zone twerking, insert the videotape and lets watch us some thundercats nostalgia.

Now, the scary thing is ... as I move to upload a load of old, but strangely precious pictures sort-of rediscovered on my own pages to Facebook (the photo host du jour, and actually offering higher typical resolution than what they're currently in...) - this may be one of the last public access, publicly-generated-content sites that it's even possible to contemplate TRYING this sort of thing on. FB itself famously generates 25 TERAbytes of logs DAILY, from serving 600,000 pictures and god only knows how much other stuff from 30,000 servers (which does sort of beg the question, why didn't yahoo just give the geo data to FB - they probably could have transferred it in a matter of hours and the space/bandwidth taken up by continued static hosting would be insignificant in comparison). Any human attempt to back up, sort and rehost a site of that type would be an utterly futile gesture, you'd have trouble pulling the stuff out quick enough. Plus where allows you to properly link in any more, allowing for the possibility of dead links to a changed/deleted page, apart from maybe Youtube and Flickr (itself a very valuable but practically unsalvagable resource - oh, and owned by the incredibly random-shutdown-happy (not just geocities, the past 5 years) yahoo)? And would you even want/need to? It's all live searches and endless interpersonal communication and chatting these days, terabytes of it, rather than actually presenting pages of info.

BTW there are still plenty of free webhosts out there. My own Angelfire site is, against all reasonable odds, still kicking, and apparently Tripod is in a stable condition in hospital for the time being. There's contemporary ones such as Clutterme, Weebly etc. All is not lost. But I doubt any of the modern upstarts will achieve the same questionable heights as Geo, or attain the early sense of web-community (almost aping that of usenet, which was web 2.0 before web 1.0 was around) that it had in the first few years before homesteads were done away with as old hat....... ironic given that yahoo's new focus is again a social one (backed up by goddamn-near-offensive adverts given the recent occurence; e.g. The internet has new management - yours, or Finally, an internet that works YOUR way. Well, MY way is ad-supported free hosting that gives me a small but sufficient amount of storage space and a few simplistic tools to let me build my own bona fide pages, rather than just chucking up a blog or using messenger..... how's that strike you?). The shocking thing about it is how many things they've shut down entirely or practically without notice already; one feels almost thankful for the sudden murder of AOL homesteads and the outcry from it, without that yahoo might not have had pause for thought and given us all 6 months grace. They certainly didn't make a big noise about shredding large, "mostly inactive" parts of the geo directory structure a couple years ago...

* its also been a bit of a learning experience. Trying to do heavyweight work with Ubuntu in a virtual machine? Bad idea. Trying to do it with a virtual slimline linux distro? Worse idea. Virtualisation isn't quite a mature science it turns out. too many wgets/xterms/concurrent connections/ram use/disc use/whatever sends the VM into terminal thrash, that then has naughty knock on effects on the host. No idea if the linuces would have stood up better as standalone installs (no time) or windows wget would have worked flawlessly (ditto), but I suspect so as there were guys using them with distinctly more relative load and getting away with it. The *nix UI and conceptual layout of everything (not to mention the permissions) has proven to be a kludgey, bass-ackwards challenge, but sort of workable. If you're a wannabe geek/hacker like I once thought I was. This is sort of my Star Wars Holiday Special moment, I think. Windows, things just work. Mac, a little less so, but on the whole, yes. Linux? I was "this" close from having to find a book to get it to do the simple thing of making it so a batchfile-equivalent that controlled the commandline for a CLI Filehound / Bittorrent / Flashget equivalent had the relevant access rights to SAVE A F***ING FILE to a directory IN THE HOME TREE OF THE ACCOUNT I WAS LOGGED IN AS (and the only one on the machine). Grr! Now, make it so I'm not said protogeek, make it so I'm the kind of person who thinks doorbells are a tad too complicated (I have to support these people, at work...), and that "mainstream Linux desktop" idea is going to need an AWWWWFUL lot of dicking about to have even a slim chance of becoming reality.

Peace :p

Now to start picking thru the multifarous folders, identifying the ones that are just an html with "this site was not found" in and deleting them, and rsyncing the rest to AT central and seeing if ANYTHING is unique ;)
[/body][/html]

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:28 am UTC

accessory to oranges wrote:This is funny because earlier this week i was wondering what would happen if i went back in time on the internet, (probably nothing much) but then went to xkcd and wondered if it had really happened

You do know about the Wayback Machine, don't you?
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:52 am UTC

tahrey wrote:. . . But I doubt any of the modern upstarts will achieve the same questionable heights as Geo, or attain the early sense of web-community (almost aping that of usenet, which was web 2.0 before web 1.0 was around) that it had in the first few years before homesteads were done away with as old hat....... ironic given that yahoo's new focus is again a social one (backed up by goddamn-near-offensive adverts given the recent occurence; e.g. The internet has new management - yours, or Finally, an internet that works YOUR way. Well, MY way is ad-supported free hosting that gives me a small but sufficient amount of storage space and a few simplistic tools to let me build my own bona fide pages, rather than just chucking up a blog or using messenger..... how's that strike you?). The shocking thing about it is how many things they've shut down entirely or practically without notice already; one feels almost thankful for the sudden murder of AOL homesteads and the outcry from it, without that yahoo might not have had pause for thought and given us all 6 months grace. They certainly didn't make a big noise about shredding large, "mostly inactive" parts of the geo directory structure a couple years ago...

I gave up on Geocities about when they made FTP access a premium option. I then went with my local ISP instead. I think that happened about when Google took over. Geocities has been a lot like a blog or wiki for a long time.

The Free webpages are not the only ones going down. My previous two ISP's went out of business and got transferred to a larger company I am not comfortable with. I have been spending the past 4 months looking for web hosting. (I now have a domain name: if my registrar didn't go bankrupt this past week. I just sent them an "out of band" message via post-card).

tahrey wrote:* its also been a bit of a learning experience. Trying to do heavyweight work with Ubuntu in a virtual machine? Bad idea. Trying to do it with a virtual slimline linux distro? Worse idea. Virtualisation isn't quite a mature science it turns out. too many wgets/xterms/concurrent connections/ram use/disc use/whatever sends the VM into terminal thrash, that then has naughty knock on effects on the host. No idea if the linuces would have stood up better as standalone installs (no time) or windows wget would have worked flawlessly (ditto), but I suspect so as there were guys using them with distinctly more relative load and getting away with it.

A little off topic.. but you may want to try a "live CD." I think most of them will have the tools you mentioned. I suppose you don't want to have to shut-down your "primary" OS ;)

Wait.. by "no time" you mean using wget as a spider to recover geocities pages? You can turn off the one second delay between files you know (since your concurrent instances were all hitting the same server(s) anyway). Or, turn on a random delay if you DO want concurrent instances. I know, reading all the options takes like 30minutes :P

If you are really interested in preserving Geocities, you may want to check what Archive.org has in the WayBack Machine. Looks like the Yahoo! take-over put a stop to the archives.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Keybounce

Postby Keybounce » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:40 am UTC

00Davo wrote:Aww... it's gone now.

No, that took me to comic #1001.

Anyone? Yes, I'm late :-).

Oh: Table based layout may be looked down on, but it works; CSS based layout is almost always broken as soon as I set my font size to something other than what the web page has a pixel count hard-coded for.

Why is CSS based around pixel counts anyways? Why not at least point sizes? And yes, I know that you can use "em", but it seems very few people do.

Wait ... those images ... is that actually dark blue on black? Did anyone ever find that to be readable? Sheesh, that brings back the memories of browsing with "ctrl-A" to read.
<this space on hold>

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 am UTC

Keybounce wrote:Why is CSS based around pixel counts anyways? Why not at least point sizes? And yes, I know that you can use "em", but it seems very few people do.

Your third sentence contains the answer to your first question.

Properly-written CSS web pages will behave much cleaner than table-based layouts or (especially) padding-images-based layouts, with unexpected font sizes. But very few people do it properly. Such is the way it has always been, such is the way it shall always be.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”