0657: "Movie Narrative Charts"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dnelson1025

Re: "Movie Narrative Charts" Discussion

Postby dnelson1025 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

this is impressive, to say the least

jetshred

Postby jetshred » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

The Prime panel made my week. Thanks Randall!

Archytas

Postby Archytas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

This comic got me to stop lurking and start posting here.

My girlfriend thinks that there's (another) mistake in the LotR chart--Sam goes off to the West and shouldn't be listed with Merry and Pippin. I hadn't seen that mentioned before, so, one more for the (potential) bugs list.

lihan161051

Postby lihan161051 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

emerae wrote:You can tell you're a geek when your first thought after watching "Primer" is, "Where's my graph paper?"

Bonus points if you don't think that... because you KNOW where your graph paper is.

No graph paper? Go watch a football game, you jock.

"If you and your buddies get together for a game of football, and what you have when you get there is a bunch of uniforms, a three volume rule book, several bags of dice, a referee, and no ball .. You might be a geek." -- me

Nyerguds

Postby Nyerguds » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

rgoomh wrote:This is all wrong! All wrong! You're missing Back To The Future, Randall!

I agree... a movie with some simple time travel lines would've worked better as buildup to the final punchline.. err, punch-diagram. :P

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Holy shit, that must have taken quite a while. The real question here is IS IT TO SCALE?

In all honesty, I love it. That genuinely is awesome, I am in awe...and then some.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:I am in awe...and then some.

So what you mean to say is awe-some?
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

wilywes

Postby wilywes » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

Newto wrote:Why is there no line for Luke and his hand parting ways?

To preserve accuracy, he'd have to include 5 hand detachments,(from the original trilogy) some of whom are minor characters who exist only to have their hands cut off:
C-3PO, Ponda Baba, the Wampa, Luke, and Vader. C3PO technically has his arm pulled off, not cut, so if we include that, then we should also include the guy who gets his hand pulled off in VI.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

For those wanting a joke... I ask, why?
For the pure effort required in some of Randals pictures he deserves a medal. If for example his scale log poster was just an acurate diagram of scale, done with stick figures, and no jokes, I'd be happy.
I do think alot of people would ask for their favourite films to have posters like this. Anyone doing requests?
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Eldred Jonas

Postby Eldred Jonas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Holy god. How did you do it? Why did you do it? Gah!

*standing ovation*

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Things I agree need this (AWESOME) treatment:

1. Back to the Future.
2. Lost (wait til the end of the final season...)

I love all the people who have made Tufte references. May you all live very long productive lives.

Amazing. Want poster. Do more.

(BTW, this did NOT take him a weekend. He does these well in advance, IMHO... and it might explain why some of the recent ones have been a little thin at times.)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

RocketNinja

Postby RocketNinja » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

Very long time lurker here but I had to register to tell you that this is mind-blowing! Great Job. I have been showing it to my friends at work and hopefully they will become long-time fans of xkcd. Amazing.

fruitcake

Postby fruitcake » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

I guess this means I finally have to watch "Primer." Wikipedia's been telling me to watch it for years since some of the movie was filmed at my school. Now that it's got the nerd cred of being in an XKCD, it's relevant to my interests...

loglow

Postby loglow » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

This is both amazing and very funny. Extremely well done. Very surprised to see complaints about this one. Probably one of my favorite XKCD strips. Keep up the great work. I'd love to see this one for sale as a poster. Hell, the LOTR chart itself would make a great comic, and the final three panels are just delicious icing on the cake.

Also, my apologies if these have already been linked to:
http://www.freeweb.hu/neuwanstein/primer_timeline.jpg
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/P ... meline.gif
Last edited by loglow on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:21 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

Very cool. I agree that it would be even better with Back to the Future added; I'd buy the poster if it was added. However, I can't decide whether the x-axis should be movie time or in-universe time.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

rgoomh wrote:This is all wrong! All wrong! You're missing Back To The Future, Randall!

aquilo wrote:Very cool. I agree that it would be even better with Back to the Future added

Totally. Needs more DeLorean.
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

PHDrillSergeant

Postby PHDrillSergeant » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

Here's my Primer narrative chart. Randal was pretty close, methinks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/ ... imer-1.jpg

slashme

Postby slashme » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

I just want to add my vote to the list of "Randall should do more stuff like this and not get stuck on stickman comics". Just when I was thinking "What happened to the guy who drew red spiders and 'my usual approach is useless here'?", Randall <dumb and dumber>Totally redeemed himself!</dumb and dumber>

slashme

Postby slashme » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

Oh, and by the way, this is the first one since WetRiffs and the Chess Coaster to be voted "comic most likely to inspire a website". I haven't read the whole thread, but has someone done "back to the future" yet?

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

albert wrote:Ahh, xkcd is back in fine form. I was getting worried that it was slipping.

I would imagine any drop in the recent quality can be attributed to the fine level in detail that was bound to be required for this one.

While it may be true, I very much doubt this was done in the last three days...

Vaelin

Postby Vaelin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Totally awesome.

Really.

Both because my wife and I started playing coop lego star wars last night, and because it reminded me I need to watch Primer with her... with our schedules these things are at odds though...

I don't know how prevalent these types of diagrams are, but I'd bet with some polish and official art pictures/styles, there'd be a real market for these styles of posters.
The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship.
Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat. -From books by R.A.Heinlein

NorkNork

Postby NorkNork » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Hi, one small nit-picking:

In Star Wars, since you already included the Extended scene with Jabba talking to Han in Ep. IV - Boba Fett is in that scene too! Just FYI.

Mendoza

Postby Mendoza » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

We ABSOLUTELY need it for Matrix !
Come on Randall, I now you can do that.

By the way, i just registered on the forum, and the confirmation code is just unreadable. I had to try like 10 times before getting it correct.

schopenhauer

Postby schopenhauer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Delightful!

Your data-ink ratio is almost 1! It's simple and intuitive, with high information content, and I LOVE the Minard-style armies. Also clever how you showed the transfer of the ring to different characters.

Please do one for Synecdoche!

stephnyc

Postby stephnyc » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

I am humbled by your brilliance.

Lizabeta

Postby Lizabeta » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

Poor Eomer. All alone.

scottyb

Postby scottyb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

I know I originally mentioned the washroom in 12 Angry Men, but after reading all the LotR nitpickings I feel bad for even joking about an inaccuracy. :(

This is cool just the way it is, dudes!

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

Yeah, plus any publicity for 12 Angry Men is a bonus :D
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

gabrielforsen

Postby gabrielforsen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

Am I the only one who's glad he didn't do the Lotr one based on the books?
I read them ages and ages ago and didn't much like them(Disclaimer: Cool world and story, I just didn't really enjoy Tolkiens writing style) so I don't remember a lot about them. As such, had this graph been about the books it would probably not be as entertaining for me. I'd still think it would be cool, but I couldn't relate to it in the same way because I don't really remember why merry and pippin ended up near the whopping willow or whatever.
The movie, on the other hand, is well known to just about everybody, so everyone gets it and can discuss it. So if this thing comes out as a poster it'll primaraly be a great conversation piece.

MShades

Postby MShades » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

gabrielforsen wrote:Am I the only one who's glad he didn't do the Lotr one based on the books?

Nope, I'm with you. I've read the books, I've got my fantasy lit cred, and I have no intention of picking them up again anytime soon. The movies made me love the story and actually care about characters other than Gollum, so I'll gladly stick to them.
"My mind is my center and everything that happens there is my responsibility. Other people may believe what it pleases them to believe, but I will do nothing without I know the reason why and know it clearly."
-Dirk Gently

I see things

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

Dammit, now LotR seems confusing to me. Now I have to go watch the movies again. Arwen is the elf girl who killed the evil hooded guy in that one battle, right? And the evil hooded guy is called Nazgul? Or was it Eowyn who killed him, now that I look at the graph again?
I could never keep track of the names.

I do hope 12 Angry Men is not as boring as it appears on the graph.
I do hope I don't watch Primer.

enigma343 wrote:HEY

NO

I'm sorry to be the damn fanboy, but Fett does not die! For that matter, I'd love to see an extended universe chart, although that would take quite a while. I will accept that Boba Fett appears to die, and for all intents and purposes he is no longer involved in the plot during the movies. I'm going to assume these character lines are from the perspective of the movie-goer, in order to spare everyone any more pimple-popping plot revision. I would much prefer it if Fett's line faded into a dotted line like some of the other tetriary characters:

Thank you. That is all.

Props to you for noticing that. I guess Randall isn't a fan of the Expanded Universe, or after making the LotR graph he decided he didn't want another epically convoluted one. We (or, at least, I) welcome those "damn fanboy"s as long as they refrain from starting flamewars.
MShades wrote:
gabrielforsen wrote:Am I the only one who's glad he didn't do the Lotr one based on the books?

Nope, I'm with you. I've read the books, I've got my fantasy lit cred, and I have no intention of picking them up again anytime soon. The movies made me love the story and actually care about characters other than Gollum, so I'll gladly stick to them.

I third this notion. I couldn't get even halfway through the first book (ADD and whatnot), but I enjoyed the movies, so it's good to see a reference I sort-of understand.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Why does the Star Wars have no Admiral Ackbar?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Yodaboy64

Postby Yodaboy64 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

Akbar is only in Rotj and would not be as fun to put in.

What the chart needs before I will buy a poster of it (or that I will draw in) is Wedge Antilles in the Star Wars line. He just needs to be a line through all of the battles.
:D

user24

Postby user24 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

I know it's been posted already (twice) but... well I made an image and everything:

Flep

Postby Flep » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

As much as I hate to add to the list of pedantic discrepancies, if the LotR chart is to be taken as the film version, then Aragorn should spend a short time away from the rest of his party prior to Helm's Deep having fallen off a cliff fighting the Wargs :]

All the same, love the effort that has gone into this, no small task, warts and all.

SerenityCheck

Postby SerenityCheck » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

I would love to see a BSG version!Add BSG and make it poster and I'll buy it for sure!

Rumbel

Postby Rumbel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

unbeliavable. you made me sign up here just to tell you how awesome this comic is.

in a long line with lots of good, very good and even some awesome comics, this one definetely is one of the most amazing charts i've seen.
damn lot of work, right?

sure, back to the future might be a nice addition... but making it a poster is even more important!
(and together with the height poster the shipping wouldn't be too high.)

greetings from germany
rumbel

robotrevolution

Postby robotrevolution » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

Re: 12 Angry Men

Shouldn't all the lines be splitting away at the end of the movie? They don't end the movie together. Also: bathroom breaks.

I could stare at the LotR graph for hours.

valerie

Postby valerie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Just now saw this. Is this the Primer that is mentioned on the comic? Sorry, not familiar with the movie...

Spoiler:

thedpr

Postby thedpr » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

Great charts.

To add to the nitpickery a bit, I think that Gandalf and company are present at Saruman's death, if I'm recalling the ROTK extended edition correctly. Also, is Wormtongue really in Isengard at the beginning of the movies? He's in league with Saruman but my impression was that he was at Edoras the whole time. Finally, Eowyn and Faramir end up as regents of Ithilien, not Minas Tirith with Aragorn.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”