0659: "Lego"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0659: "Lego"

Postby LuNatic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

No-one ever said you couldn't reassemble the house.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.
LuNatic

Re: "Lego" Discussion

Postby zantrua » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:05 am UTC

entropy is a bitch.
zantrua

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:05 am UTC

...holy shit.

I feel like a little Dutch boy who's just heard a very faint cracking noise...
SocialSceneRepairman

Postby aeris92 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:06 am UTC

yeah thats something to think about, but is this really what i come to xkcd for? who knows...
aeris92

Postby Omegaton » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:07 am UTC

I was expecting a reference to Ship of Theseus, and there wasn't one... Oh well.
Last edited by Omegaton on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:52 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Omegaton

Postby kingofdreams » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:07 am UTC

I need to get my shit together and drop endlessly heavy shit on my dog that slowly learns to talk, then repeat so as to mold the rarest and most beautiful of mindsets
so cold, so icy, that you burn your fingers on him! Every hand that touches him darts back in fear!
And for that reason some think he is aglow.

Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes
kingofdreams

Postby Avoidist » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:09 am UTC

In every possible respect, I wholeheartedly support this comic.

(not really for any personal reasons, my organs are fine, just think it's a really good message on all accounts)
Avoidist

Postby Comic JK » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 am UTC

This is pretty overtly anti-Christian (the doctrine of the immortal human soul). Can't say I care for it.

If it gets people to become organ donors, though, that counts more.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.
Comic JK

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:This is pretty overtly anti-Christian (the doctrine of the immortal human soul). Can't say I care for it.

Not aligned with Christian beliefs is not the same as anti-Christian.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.
Cynical Idealist

Postby Omegaton » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:This is pretty overtly anti-Christian (the doctrine of the immortal human soul). Can't say I care for it.

Not that I claim to know much about religion, but I thought that the soul was not an exclusively Christian idea.
Omegaton

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:13 am UTC

I'd say "vegetarian," but that's kind of been coopted...
SocialSceneRepairman

Postby recon455 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:13 am UTC

Is the soul contained in the liver? What would Jesus do?*

*DON'T START NOT RELIGIOUS DEBATES IN THIS HERE DARN FORUM!!!!*
recon455

Postby aquilo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:14 am UTC

So am I suppose to be sad or inspired now?

Unless your soul is one of the lego bricks, sitting in the box waiting for the final judgement. Although, since your soul-lego can be used to build new things, I guess it more supports reincarnation than the Christian afterlife.
aquilo

Postby ShiningMasamune » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Subtle troll is subtle.
ShiningMasamune

Postby Comic JK » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:16 am UTC

recon455 wrote:

Is the soul contained in the liver? What would Jesus do?*
*DON'T START NOT RELIGIOUS DEBATES IN THIS HERE DARN FORUM!!!!*

Sorry--no more on this from me. Though I will maintain that Randall started it.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.
Comic JK

Postby hoffmanbike » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:18 am UTC

i liked this comic a lot. my grandfather survived for 15 years -FIFTEEN YEARS!- on his second heart transplant. i miss him... it's his memory that keeps me donating blood and listed as an organ donor on my license.
hoffmanbike

Postby _sandswipe_ » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:23 am UTC

Anti-anti-christian person:
Where did Randall refer to the pattern of a person? He specified that a lego house's pattern is gone, not where a person's pattern goes. I know, different things are implied to different people, but a message against people who think they need to keep their body in one piece even after they're done with it isn't always a message against religion.
♪ BOOP-A DOOP-A DOOP! ♪
_sandswipe_

Postby rgoomh » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Randall, get out of my head!
rgoomh

Postby Nasaniaru » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:24 am UTC

I really like this comic. It kind of speaks on a very deep level of the nature of the soul after the body is "disassembled" while comparing it to something very unimportant as legos. Also the push for people to become organ donors is also somewhat noble too. This is why I like xkcd. Intellectual stimulation like this.
A tree planted near the water bears fruit, but only when the time is right. Its leaves won't ever wither and it brings prosperity to all.

Move forward and continue to move forward. Do not come to a standstill. This is my Priority One!
Nasaniaru

Postby seanfalloy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:25 am UTC

Lego is probably the best thing ever invented. I dont think i would be an engineer today if it wasnt for lego
--Rumor has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages. Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.
seanfalloy

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:26 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:I'm assuming she changed an x to a check mark? For some reason I don't seem to think it's as clear as it could be, though people seem to be understanding it fine...
An x in a box usually has the same meaning as a checkmark unless noted otherwise. I imagine she's filling it in.

Also, my step-great-grandfather passed away today, so the title text is a bit of a "Randall get out of my head" moment. O.o

And yes, <3 Lego.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby MrD » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:29 am UTC

That was a little harsh.

The girl is quietly playing with her Legos by herself, when her brother comes along and starts asking her simple questions just to contradict her and make her feel small. In response, she sneaks off and signs him up as an organ donor behind his back.
MrD

Postby Brace » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:33 am UTC

However, when the lego's are assembled they are recognized as "house" and "train" and not just as sporadic collections of blocks. Therefore, when assembled they appear to be more than the sum of their parts. Hence this comic seems at the very least to be compatible with a finite soul that ends at death.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus
Brace

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:36 am UTC

This one really takes me back to strips like 1 and 11. Simplistic and maybe a little melancholy, but with that touch of "That's life". :)

Good one Randall!
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage
eviloatmeal

Postby Persona » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Lemme get this straight. When the house is disassembled the pieces can be used elsewhere without damaging the house because the house is gone. It's parallel to how when you die your organs can be donated to someone else without damaging yourself because you're dead.

I think most people who are not signed as donors understand this fact full well. The reason they're not signed is probably the same reason you bother to dress corpses up before burial.

But the thing I'm wondering the most about is the alt text... Why ask for Grandpa when the comic just implied that the house is gone after disassembly?
Persona

Postby pretzil » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:43 am UTC

Well, I would imagine that they probably wouldnt take organs from the elderly, even if they were organ donors, I'd imagine they would rather put organs from younger healthier people wouldnt they? Save having to just replace them in a couple of years. So I would imagine that her grandfather is probably in one piece in the ground (Depending on CoD I suppose), unless he had already taken some young ppl organs for himself recently, then I guess they would probably want them back, I am probably overthinking this ay...
pretzil

Postby thret » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:44 am UTC

I think Randall just summarised the entire introduction to the 20th-anniversary Edition of Godel, Escher, Bach. Well, if he includes a strange-loop reference somewhere.

Surely the idea that we are unique patterns rather than unique building-blocks is not going to shatter any major religions. It is actually probably compatible with the concept of a soul? I don't see how it wouldn't be. Oh, except it is finite as Kilroy points out. Well, maybe.

If you re-create the house later in the same pattern, is it the same house?
thret

Postby glasnt » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Is the girl at the end checking the box saying she does what to be an organ donor, or is she changing her answer from yes (hence the over extended line which i think is a tick) to no, she doesn't want to be an organ donor?

:?

In related news, my boss just caught me reading 'xksd'. Old people are cute, sometimes :3

hi joee!
glasnt

Postby phlip » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:47 am UTC

Man, I wish organ transplants were as easy as plugging lego bricks together. Would make things so much easier.

*Is an organ donor and regular blood donor, in a country that doesn't even pay you for either.*

MrD wrote:That was a little harsh.

The girl is quietly playing with her Legos by herself, when her brother comes along and starts asking her simple questions just to contradict her and make her feel small. In response, she sneaks off and signs him up as an organ donor behind his back.

I think this interpretation is hilarious.

[edit]
glasnt wrote:Is the girl at the end checking the box saying she does what to be an organ donor, or is she changing her answer from yes (hence the over extended line which i think is a tick) to no, she doesn't want to be an organ donor?

:?

Drawing an X in a box is reasonably common way of selecting it... the choice isn't between an x and a tick, rather any mark and no mark.

If it makes it clearer, imagine there's a second box that says "no, I'm a selfish prick" below the organ donor box, and it's blank.
Last edited by phlip on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby Editer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 am UTC

rgoomh wrote:Randall, get out of my head!

I'm imagining someone who gets a great big kick out of saying "Randall, get out of my head!" finding themselves a transplant recipient of one of Randall's corneas.

And thus never able to say it again.

/nothing against the "out of my head" comments, just enjoying the thought
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow
Editer

Postby GreatS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 am UTC

Is it just me, or am I reading it incorrectly:
  • She finds out that something which is dissambled doesn't exist anymore
  • Thus she decides to not become a donor, because she doesn't want to be dissembled (that's a cross, not a tick, right?)

// EDIT START//
glasnt wrote:Is the girl at the end checking the box saying she does what to be an organ donor, or is she changing her answer from yes (hence the over extended line which i think is a tick) to no, she doesn't want to be an organ donor?

Yup, I guess that's how I interpreted it...
// EDIT END //

Oh and, rather than a anti-christian thing, it would be more of a pro christian thing... right? As it says that the arrangement is independent from the building blocks. And that brings me to the point that I would argue that the arrangement of the lego blocks will actually stay in the mind of the person who created the house... they won't simply disappear, they will inspire him to make new - more complicated stuff - .
Last edited by GreatS on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
GreatS

Postby Geogriffith » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:49 am UTC

Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Geogriffith

Postby lissamphibia » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:50 am UTC

Hmmm... I've been thinking a lot about systems theory and deep ecology lately (currently reading I Am a Strange Loop) -- and I really prefer this sort of viewpoint:

"We are but whirlpools in a river of ever-flowing water. We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves."
--Norbert Wiener, mathematician

It seems more... hopeful, to me, but without introducing any need for religious concepts. Also doesn't differentiate between various ways of influencing the world around you and after you, whether you're spreading genes or memes.
lissamphibia

Postby Lendges » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:52 am UTC

Feeling existentialist now anyone?

As logical as it may be to sign up as an organ donor, we have to remember that people rarely behave logically. There is a certain dignity to looking sharp all the time. Plus, even with medical technology as precise as it is, there's always that chance that they'd mistakenly pronounce a barely-living organ donor dead on the scene. You never know...
Lendges

Postby Brace » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:58 am UTC

Lendges wrote:Feeling existentialist now anyone?

That's basically the only reason I posted, haha. Although to your other observations, I have to say that all values are pre-rational and hence it doesn't make sense to describe any single value (like looking snazzy) as illogical. Values can only be illogical in the sense that a value system can be internally inconsistent. Which now that I think about it is kind of funny, because it means highly singular people are technically logical.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus
Brace

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:00 am UTC

phlip wrote:*Is an organ donor and regular blood donor, in a country that doesn't even pay you for either.*

Why do people from other countries always seem to think this? I think you can get paid for blood if you look, but most people are willing to give for free; if they find out money's changed hands over an organ, it's straight to the garbage. The only things that they'll pay for are eggs and sperm, and I'm not even totally sure about those.
SocialSceneRepairman

Postby sje46 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:02 am UTC

Not so much anti-Christian as it is anti-supernatural nonsense.

Instead of complaining because a comic makes a good point against your religion, you should consider that good point and reconsider your own beliefs. Just a thought.
Lendges wrote:Feeling existentialist now anyone?

As logical as it may be to sign up as an organ donor, we have to remember that people rarely behave logically. There is a certain dignity to looking sharp all the time. Plus, even with medical technology as precise as it is, there's always that chance that they'd mistakenly pronounce a barely-living organ donor dead on the scene. You never know...

How many people will die a premature death because they are an organ donor? 1 in 200K? How many people are waiting for organs in the hospital? You're just being selfish at that point.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby oligore » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:05 am UTC

GreatS wrote:Is it just me, or am I reading it incorrectly:
  • She finds out that something which is dissambled doesn't exist anymore
  • Thus she decides to not become a donor, because she doesn't want to be dissembled (that's a cross, not a tick, right?)

Agree. She thinks she will be "Just gone" if she is in pieces.
Also: You can't turn cross into a tick, you can only turn a tick into a cross.

Edit: As America is not the world Christianity is not All religions. Anyway the soul cannot be destroyed and exists independently of the body in major religions.
Last edited by oligore on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
oligore

Postby kdrive113 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:08 am UTC

This just reminds me of Early in Firefly talking about River's room, when he asks if it is still her room when she isn't in it.
kdrive113

Postby sithwalrus » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:09 am UTC

Deep comic, I liked it.
I have been planning on donating my organs for ten years, since I was six, if I can save someones life at no personal cost, then it sounds like a win-win situation.
so far in my life, I have never heard someone argue against organ donations, so why do so few people actually make them? (at least in Canada) if someone does not sign to have their organs donated before death, then their families are asked for permission after death, but it seems like a weird system. few people will be focusing on how they can turn a tragic situation into something beneficial when they have just lost a relative, so it would really make more sense to assume that everyone wants their organs donated, and give people the opportunity to decline. this way, if they have no real preference the likelihood of a donation increases.
btw, i am a christian, but as far as the whole eternal life thing goes it really makes no difference to me. I am going to try and live a decent life on earth, and if I get another try somewhere I will take it. whether there is heaven, hell, or the entire world fades into a formless lifeless void, we should all be living our lives with the same ethics and goals anyway.
sithwalrus

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads