0053: "Hobby"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ace_NoOne

0053: "Hobby"

Postby Ace_NoOne » Fri May 04, 2007 7:13 am UTC

#53: Hobby
The only one of these games I really played was Area 51

I noticed there wasn't a thread on this comic yet.
It's definitely in the Top 50 (for me anyways) and thus deserves its own thread.

The reason I'm posting this now? I came across this comment on Slashdot: (topic: IT guy being forced to install pirated software at work)
You're the IT guy. Find an employee who is disgruntled (or maybe just use the guy that keeps eating your lunch out of the fridge even though it's CLEARLY marked with BIG BLACK MARKER with your name). Send an email ratting the company out to the BSA from that person's account. Put a BSA bumper sticker on his car. Sneak into his house and put a thank you card ("The Business Software Alliance thanks you for reporting 500 scofflaw software stealing terrorists in 2006! Wishing you more success bringing down more scum in 2007!") on his mantle.

Meanwhile, forge emails from your boss to you threatening to fire you if you don't immediately and without question install as much illegal software as possible. Include some BSA baiting ("And if the BSA comes around, I've got a few shotgun shells with their names on it! Yeehaw!") For extra points, forge an entire email thread wherein he continues to threaten you and the BSA and anyone else you can think of despite your continued objections. Throw in some sentences where you attempt to convince him of his wrongs through Bible verses.

When the BSA comes to the office, throw a Molotov cocktail from your boss's window toward their car. Leave the building and wait across the street for the SWAT team to arrive. If your boss tries to come out, as soon as you can see him coming out the door yell as loud as you can "He's got a gun!"

This should take care of your problem.
Am I the only one making the connection to this comic?

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Re: "Hobby" Discussion

Postby OmenPigeon » Fri May 04, 2007 9:02 am UTC

Ace_NoOne wrote:Am I the only one making the connection to this comic?

Yes. At least, of the two of us you are. I think the joke in the comic was more about those games at the arcade with the toy guns where you have to shoot the baddies and not shoot the civilians, and how it's kind of absurd that while you're running around, very armed, there's a bunch of random people jumping out from behind trees, imitating aliens and terrorists.

Ironically, specious threats of workplace violence does bring to mind this Three-Panel Soul arc where (true story!) Matt gets fired for talking about his new hobby of shooting paper targets with a gun that can't actually hurt people much.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Ace_NoOne

Postby Ace_NoOne » Sat May 05, 2007 6:06 am UTC

Well, yeah, of course the comic wasn't directly about that kinda stuff - but that comment still reminded me of the comic, which prompted me to head over to The Fora here...

Anyways, that Matt story is very disturbing.
More background info on this here.

stolen comic

comic plagiarism!!! "my hobby: when police raid crack hou...

Postby stolen comic » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:17 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/53/

ive seen this in other places, namely "cyanide and happiness". who ripped who off?

Use the fucking search bar!
TheTankengine

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:27 am UTC

The fucking search bar? Does that only return results for the sex-related comics?

Boatz!

Postby Boatz! » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

I do recall that you would lose more than 100 points for civilian shooting.

That being said, if the cops were American the civilian would have a gun planted on him and NO POINTS LOST.
Remember, eating mushrooms is illegal on other planets. Especially Jupiter. I dunno what those guys eat. o_O

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

no, I don't remember losing points. I thought you just lost lives?
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Whitedark

Postby Whitedark » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

Even better. Frame a police officer for shooting you in a way that disables you but doesn't kill you and sue.
Before you talk to me, I should warn you. I am kind of strange ~Xkcd

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”