0665: "Prudence"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

guyy

Re: "Prudence" Discussion

Postby guyy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:58 am UTC

BlueNight wrote:I would expect time in Narnia to slow down to our time rate as long as the doorway is open. The wire should ensure this.

And weirdly enough, they would think our time sped up to match theirs, which is really the same thing. Wardrobian relativity!

Speaking of time, whoever's doing the seeking in this comic must be a really slow counter.

westrim

Postby westrim » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:04 am UTC

I'm imagining a meta version of this, with Obi-wan piloting a KINO through a turbolift wardrobe.

hbsmiley7 wrote:I should get an emergency rover like that too, in case something happens.

An essential part of every emergency kit, along with water, protein bars, and duct tape.

herm43506 wrote:...the Mars rovers... not the ones that were cross-programmed in metric and standard, the ones that made it.

LOCKHEEEEEEED!

FCN wrote:I suspect that the probe would return with 18 hours of static.

"Why buy one when you can have two for twice the price?" An excellent philosophy, especially when applied to socks and pears. ALT: The probes line will be cut and it will spend 60 years in Narnia, by which time it will have become sentient and defeated the white witch, but gone slightly crazy from being cooped up in a crumbly palace on a ocean cliff.

BlueNight wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:Yet another one here who thought of Stargate. I wonder what would happen if the probe were coded in python and had "import Aslan" in there. Would it come out of the wardrobe on the other side (as it does have transformative properties, hence them regressing in age when they returned) as Aslan?

Stargate has an interesting mix of hard, soft, and "sufficiently advanced" sci-fi. I would expect time in Narnia to slow down to our time rate as long as the doorway is open. The wire should ensure this.

However, here you're dealing with an implicitly Christian fantasy by an explicitly Christian author. The prequel, The Magician's Nephew, revealed reality to be a multiverse, over which one God reigns, one Logos incarnates in each universe, and one Spirit moves the hearts of all sentient beings to love each other.

In other words, a probe with "import Aslan" just asked Jesus into its heart.

You mean its power supply. And I'm going to pull a statistic out of a hair follicle and say that 75% of his readers thought "Stargate!" upon seeing the rover.

Storm

Postby Storm » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:18 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
McHell wrote:This approach would have mercifully spared us from most of "the house of leaves."

I'm pretty sure you misspelled house...
Thank you for that. I don't think the house would have worked so nicely that way.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:20 am UTC

and now we know what a stick-figure-faun looks like. BEAUTIFUL drawing there with Mr. Tumnus and the lamp and everything! <3
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Vnend

Postby Vnend » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Very nice faun.

And, after getting a little excited about Monday being comic 666, I remembered that they found that there was a translation error, and the Number of the Beast is actually 606... (which was "Cutting Edge")

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:34 am UTC

I don't think the Narnians will be that confused by the technology, here they seem to already have a pretty good grasp on it.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:36 am UTC

FlyingCow371 wrote:Beyond the Narnia reference, anybody else instantly think of the probes sent through a Stargate?

Yes!
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:17 am UTC

BlueNight wrote:However, here you're dealing with an implicitly Christian fantasy by an explicitly Christian author. The prequel, The Magician's Nephew, revealed reality to be a multiverse, over which one God reigns, one Logos incarnates in each universe, and one Spirit moves the hearts of all sentient beings to love each other.

Am I the only person who felt that given xkcd's sciency, mathsy thing referencing Lewis' 'Out of the Silent Planet' would have been more appropriate? ;)

I'm surprised at how many people here haven't read the Narnia books. I guess it's an age thing. When I was a kid it was pretty much compulsory reading along with Lewis Carroll.

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:36 am UTC

I was reminded of Epic Movie, where it's the Chronicles of Gnarnia, due to copyright issues. Hurr hurr.

WK1

Postby WK1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:11 am UTC

This wouldn't work. When you jump into the closet, time stops in this world until you return. I don't think it was ever specified what would happen if you died in Narnia, but I just assumed that time would resume again without you. Anyway, the laptop wouldn't be able to keep up with the M.A.L.P.'s signals, and Lucy wouldn't get any data. Also, the point of the book was to jump in with both feet, and the Christ figure would protect you.

FlyingCow371 wrote:Beyond the Narnia reference, anybody else instantly think of the probes sent through a Stargate?

I'm pretty sure that was the point.

chaos4ever

Postby chaos4ever » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:20 am UTC

Panel 3 makes me think of Pan's Labyrinth... but then, I've never seen the movie.

I don't think Narnia had satyrs.

murphy42

Postby murphy42 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:37 am UTC

Comics like this one are what keep me coming back to XKCD.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:43 am UTC

I recently bought the box set and re-read the entire heptalogy? septology? all the books, having been bought the LWW/Prince Caspian DVD box set. Enjoyed this comic greatly.

Love in particular the drawing of Tumnus and the beautiful umbrella.

Anyone who didn't get Narnia by box 3 had an incomplete childhood. It's ok to reject Lewis for theological reasons, but you have to have read him first!
Dudes, I'm a woman.

NorthLondon

Postby NorthLondon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:46 am UTC

Loved this comic. I was a massive fan of the Narnia series as a child, and I re-read them again recently before the first movie came out. There was a pretty seminal TV adaptation of 3 or 4 of the Narnia books that the BBC produced in the late 1980's - they were shown (and were required viewing) in Britain... not sure about anywhere else in the world.

Anyone got any views on reading the books either in the order that they were written vs the ret-conned order Lewis came up with later in life?

Phoenix112358

Postby Phoenix112358 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:52 am UTC

Reminded me of Stargate SG-1 where they always sent probes everywhere xD

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Remember, however, that when Edward, Lucy et al. return to the "real" world, they instantly lose the years gained, and return to being the children they were. With that in mind I hypothesise the following:

The rear of the wardrobe leads merely into another room which contains a) a holographic projector allied to an omni-directional moving floor, b) a refrigerator and snow blower, c) suspended animation pods which also allows direct brain interface to d) a powerful virtual reality simulation, capable of operating at far higher than normal subjective rates.

The sequence of events then becomes:

a) Person enters wardrobe
b) Snowblower and refrigerator combined provide the low temperatures and initial scene
c) Person is guided into suspended animation pod under holographic cover and put into suspended animation
d) Direct brain interface takes over providing seamless continuation of reality while
e) The entire brain is modeled, fully, and then run as a simulation inside the computer at approximately 10,000 times normal speed while the person is put into full suspended animation
f) Adventures occurring inside Narnia are actually ocurring to the simulated avatars until just before their exit from Narnia at which point
g) Any memories laid down inside the avatar are transferred back to the human brain
h) Person is awakened, and exit from wardrobe managed by projector, refrigerator and snowblower.

Unlikely, I know, but more plausible than the original story, and accounts for the apparent lack of ageing experienced by the protagonists.

Oh, and I really liked the comic; it plays on the "don't go up the stairs" sentiment we all have when watching horror films.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

BCMM

Postby BCMM » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:04 am UTC

It has a small radio dish. Why does it need a cable?

l_bratch

Postby l_bratch » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:06 am UTC

Plamo wrote:Oooh, and thus Stargate was born!
Edit: I just saw how many people thought the exact same thing as me.
I'm also pretty sure they're not just carter's. They were in the original stargate too.
Even though we didn't see Carter in the original, we still know (from SG-1) that she created the dialing interface, so she may well have made the probes too!

Christo

Postby Christo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

Oddly, we're talking about The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and other hero's journey stories over in another thread if anyone's interested in joining the conversation.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

LTK

Postby LTK » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

Eh, it took too long for me to get to be funny afterwards. I thought it was a door instead of a cupboard, and that the Satyr was Mephistopheles holding an umbrella.

haloshade

Postby haloshade » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

I first thought it was Satan on the other side two, and I read all the books and seen the first move.

As for the unintentional Stargate reference, I didn't get it, and I'm a Stargate fan myself. Looks like I let myself down today :(
Love the title text though!

Michael of Lucan

Postby Michael of Lucan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

Vnend wrote:Very nice faun.

And, after getting a little excited about Monday being comic 666, I remembered that they found that there was a translation error, and the Number of the Beast is actually 606... (which was "Cutting Edge")

Right idea, but wrong number.

Actually, historians have established that the original Number of the Beast was 616. It looks as if later Christian versions are copying errors, judging by the earliest available versions of the book of Revelations. It goes to show how stupid it is to rely on detailed text in 2000 year old books, which were copied solely by hand for another 1500 years.

So, 616 is the Number of the Beast. But in xkcd terms 616 is the Number of The Lease ... :!:

Michael of Lucan

Postby Michael of Lucan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

BTW, if I remember the book of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe correctly, the trees should be conifers, not deciduous. Lucy pushes though fur coats towards the back of the wardrobe, but soon finds she is pushing through (fir?)trees in Narnia.

Forgive me if my memory is wrong. While I was travelling to your time from 1952, the people of the 1960's gave me the book to read. I left it behind in that time.

But truly great matchstick Tumnus.Totally recognisable.

stok3r

Postby stok3r » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

Okay, dunno if anyone thought of this before, but I don't think this would actually work. Like, Narnia's entrances only reveal themselves when your not expecting them. Like when they come back, they cant go through the same entrance because they know its there, so when she returns with the probe, it would be an ordinary cupboard.

Dunno, i may be wrong, its been a while since i read the books. Something to think about.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

What about the scene where they're all running into the wardrobe? Lucy knew of the Narniagate.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

DeathIsTheEnd

Postby DeathIsTheEnd » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

Awesome comic.
Reminded me of Stargate.

Hale
Location: Las Cruces, NM, USoA; NA, Terra; Sol, Outer edge Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way.

Postby Hale » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

This thread is almost as funny as the comic, which is hilarious.

< How many of us saw the M.A.L.P. right away? >

The entire week has been great, this is just a top to it! :lol:
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post. I also edit them.

stok3r

Postby stok3r » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

Hmm oh yeah, you had to believe it was there, or find it by accident or something. Edmund couldn't get in cause he didn't think it was real, and the other time when they all went in they were hiding and forgot about it or didn't notice or something. Again, its been a while. Probably could work.

LuciusMare

Postby LuciusMare » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

While the "timezones" in real world and Narnia differ,i wonder what would appear on the display...Would it be speeded up?
And,also,why is there an antenna when you got a cable? :P

Qeu

Postby Qeu » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

It might be a Stargate, but definitely she's not Carter. Y'all now, 38 mins and that stuff.

Unles it's a naqahdah or naqadria cupboard...

GreyingJay

Postby GreyingJay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

Hale wrote:This thread is almost as funny as the comic, which is hilarious.

Yup. References to Stargate, Contact (two of my favorite sci-fi movies!), machines becoming saved, lots of quantum physics...

Awesome.

Drake

Postby Drake » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

BCMM wrote:It has a small radio dish. Why does it need a cable?

First thing I wondered about, too.

I decided that the cable was power and communication while the dish was a receiver to monitor whatever is going on inside the closet.

Also, any antenna nerds out their? Fractal antennas make the best wide band receivers, but are they directional? I assumed the small radio dish would only be useful in that it is highly directional.

mano

Postby mano » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

I wonder if a MALP would function Through the Looking Glass. That is, if a part of the wire were its own mirror image, how would that affect the flow of information?

funnyav

Postby funnyav » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

If there would be problems with the wire at the dimension split plane then there'd be problems with the brain while crossing between the dimensions...

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

LTK wrote:Eh, it took too long for me to get to be funny afterwards. I thought it was a door instead of a cupboard, and that the Satyr was Mephistopheles holding an umbrella.

I guess the Ranseur was getting too heavy? You know on reflection frozen Narnia is reminiscient of Cania... who knew our beloved children's fantasy world was actually one of the Nine Hells? Tumnus was the mastermind all along.

Man this thread is really making me wonder if there's any Narnia/Stargate fanfiction out there... Maybe a talented video editor could cut together a believable montage...
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

The entire Narnia series was ruined for me when it was revealed to me the obvious fact that...

Spoiler:
it's a Christ allegory

...and all my child like innocents was destroyed in that moment. If you do not already know this knowledge, please don't click the spoiler link. If it seems magical and wonderful to you, you are better off for it.

For me it will forever have a bitter taste.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

theoretical_cat
Location: Somewhere in the universe there is a speck of dust. It might be me.

Postby theoretical_cat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

My first reaction was "I didn't know he'd read/watched Master and Margarita..." Then I realized it was probably Narnia. 'Twas sad.
hahahawhat?
Current question: WHY IS IT A SURPRISE, ILYA? WHY? [we are referring here to the song 'Сюрприз (Янка, "На черный день")' ]
Another (I think I know the answer to the first one): Why does the TV screen glow when I turn off the light?

1is0

Postby 1is0 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Had Narnia been adapted to today`s era this is definitely what Lucy would have done, and this adaptation would allow for a much worse Edmund that wouldn`t just *sell his honesty for the queen`s Turqish delight*, but would instead go upload the lousy video from this probe to YouTube.

Sunidesus

Postby Sunidesus » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

NorthLondon wrote:Loved this comic. I was a massive fan of the Narnia series as a child, and I re-read them again recently before the first movie came out. There was a pretty seminal TV adaptation of 3 or 4 of the Narnia books that the BBC produced in the late 1980's - they were shown (and were required viewing) in Britain... not sure about anywhere else in the world.

Anyone got any views on reading the books either in the order that they were written vs the ret-conned order Lewis came up with later in life?

Original order! The "chronological" order makes "Magician's Nephew" not nearly as much fun.

The BBC versions did air on PBS here in the States when I was little. If memory serves they were part of the "Wonderworks" series. They are wonderful (and much better than the newer movie versions as far as I'm concerned).

Narnia was a hugely important part of my childhood, my parents used to read at the dinner table after we ate and Narnia was one of the more popular choices! Between the four of us in the family there are at least 7 different copies of the series. We've read them as a family more than once, and individually multiple times. I think my brother has the really really old copy that is barely held together with ridiculous amounts of tape.

'spos

Postby 'spos » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:The entire Narnia series was ruined for me when it was revealed to me the obvious fact that...

it's an xxxxx allegory

...and all my child like innocents was destroyed in that moment. If you do not already know this knowledge, please don't click the spoiler link. If it seems magical and wonderful to you, you are better off for it.

It doesn't have to be that simple: http://www.planetnarnia.com/planet-narnia/the-seven-heavens

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”