0667: "SkiFree"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Poohblah

Re: "SkiFree" Discussion

Postby Poohblah » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

I'm installing wine right now for the sole purpose of playing the old entertainment package... you have no idea how much I miss chip's challenge. I really hope this works... mostly because I'm running x86_64 and I'm pretty sure the entertainment pack is 16 bit...

edit: holy hell it worked. Do something productive today? I think I won't

adkhiker92

Postby adkhiker92 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

I just found this, and I will never be able to pay attention during math class again: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 21605.html

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Poohblah wrote:I'm installing wine right now for the sole purpose of playing the old entertainment package... you have no idea how much I miss chip's challenge. I really hope this works... mostly because I'm running x86_64 and I'm pretty sure the entertainment pack is 16 bit...

edit: holy hell it worked. Do something productive today? I think I won't

There's a 32-bit version of SkiFree on the website.

Poohblah

Postby Poohblah » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

+10 points for reading

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Wow. Skifree is like the first computer game I ever played (not counting pissing around in MSpaint as a four year old) and I never found out its name.
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:31 am UTC

FCN wrote:I thought he'd referenced SkiFree before, but it turns out I was just remembering this xkcdsw. And searching for that also turned up this:
Tractor wrote:xkcd means outwitting the abominable snowman in skifree.

Tractor, get out of Randall's head!

XD

This would be better if I still had the skifree avatar...I wonder where it got to...
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:32 am UTC

rascher wrote:According to the Officialest SkiFree website, he would like to open source SkiFree, but its owned by MS.

As xkcders, could we get MS to release the source?

Honestly, considering they're probably not interested in ever doing anything with it again, they might be willing to just transfer the full rights to him if he asked, for a song if not for free. Of course, that's assuming they don't get interested in doing anything with it. Thanks to Xbox Live Arcade making 2D arcade-ish games suddenly profitable again, one never knows...
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

SkiFree: The Movie
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:53 am UTC

Ph0X wrote:OH GOD! I remember back when i was 6 and used to play that game.
He would seriously pop out of nowhere and rape me in less than a second.
I'd shit my pants every single time.
He still haunts my dreams time to time :(

me too man, me to

i spent hours trying to get away from that thing, it made me cry and gave me nightmares, i had to stop playing it :(

and those stupid snowboarders, i hated them

sinister
Location: teele/davis square somerville mass usa earth sol milkyway

Postby sinister » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

I actually never played skifree. never evenheard of it. I was an apple ][ guy until I became a Linux guy. I have to admit, in moments of weakness, I'll use a Microsoft operating system. But I get the idea anyway. I recall in the game 'robotron', you could hit a key combo, I think it was control-R and go to any level you wanted. In this manner, you could rack up an enormous amount of points, enough, with time, to crash the game.

I've though of CONTROL-RESET on the Apple ][, or control-alt-delete on ibm-derived machines (erroneously refered to as 'PCs'), as the symbol of death and rebirth, where your sine (errors) get washed away and you get to try again.

Oh, Randall lives in Somerville, near Cambridge. Cambridge was the first place where gay marriage was legal. So, if you and Randall are up for it, go get married. Of course, a marraige isn't legal until you consumate it (I think). IF you don't know where in the world Cambridge and Somerville might share a border, well, tough for you, you will be forever apart from Randall.

TurtleMidget

Postby TurtleMidget » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Get. Out. Of. My. Head.

I have been talking about this for at least the last week, maybe more.
GENERATION 98: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Okapi

Postby Okapi » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

I haven't actually checked this thread since the comic on Wednesday, but I would like to declare that I immediately made an "F" key pendant after seeing this and have been wearing it ever since.

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

I had never heard of this game before reading the comic, but I would like to point out and maybe have cleared up something odd (or maybe just funny) I noticed in the download:

Basically, clicking makes you jump, but clicking too quickly will just result in you falling. However, in Freestyle mode, clicking repeatedly only gives you style points. Since when was it "stylish" to fall from your own jump? You also get points if you back up into one of the snow bumps and fall (which can be done infinitely)...
Last edited by boring bore on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:56 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Guys you should totally register for this and join the xkcd team! Rath358 started us off and we're kinda small so the more people who join us, the better for our team and, hopefully, for humanity!

GreenStormElf

Postby GreenStormElf » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:34 am UTC

erty

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

sinister wrote:ibm-derived machines (erroneously refered to as 'PCs')
Would you prefer IBM PC compatible? :roll:
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:
sinister wrote:ibm-derived machines (erroneously refered to as 'PCs')
Would you prefer IBM PC compatible? :roll:

Which they're slowly accelerating from being, anyway.
You wanna tell me if you can access your MFM hard disk, 5.25" SSDD, COM/LPT ports (WITHOUT drivers) or ISA expansion cards all so easily with a current x86-based (or should that be 8086 > 386 expanded > 64bit further expanded) "PC"? Or load DOS 1, play Arcade Volleyball? I wonder even if Microsoft Flight Simulator, ie the ultimate compatibility test, would even work. At least, not without a similar level of effort to what someone with a non-PC, or a not-fully-compatible contemporary system would have to have put in.

And this is purely considering things from a hardware limitation POV. When you look at the operating system... oh my... is that Win 7, having to basically run XP-and-below applications in a virtual machine, same as what I have to do if I want to use (aka "endlessly fight with") linux on my workplace machine? Which - nevermind the arguments I've had with VM propontents over this - is basically an "old skool PC" emulator.

Which brings us neatly back on topic, to old games for old computers and the like.

Might I add at this point, an AOL-style Me Too! to the proceedings. My reaction to the strip was.... wtf... no way... TEH GOOGLE > skifree > 15 minutes spent finding a site that actually works > "install" refreshed 32bit version > play > press F > man goes a lot faster > man escapes Yeti >>> RRRAAAAAAGGGGEEEEQUIT!

A slightly less than kosher copy of the MS Ent pack (with added Win32 "Rats" goodness) scrunched onto a single floppy was basically a permanent fixture in my jacket pocket through my schooldays, and a default install on every machine I had until I had to leave 98SE behind. Not sure why it didn't follow me to XP ... probably because of my new machine not having a floppy drive, or maybe more realistically because it had Wifi and therefore near-instant access to a whole plethora of downloadable / web browser encapsulated awesomeness.
But still ... WinTetris, Chips.exe ;), SkiFree, Rats, Taipei, and the extra wildcards of Air Hockey and Hyperoids. So basic. But such epic win at the same time. And now, it seems, with hidden depths.

Synchronistically, I then went and discovered similar in a couple of even older favourites, in another virtual machine .... STEem Engine (a 16-bit Atari emulator) ;) .... revisited, somewhat by default (the first two properly long-term-playable or even at-all-tolerable titles in a three-figure mound of virtual floppy images, rose tinted glasses quite definitely removed and stomped into smithereens) some halcyon days of Geoff Crammond and Sid Meier+Team fanboyism, with Stunt Car Racer and F19 Stealth Fighter. Turns out they had their own "F" keys, in different ways, and are still epic in ways that scream for remakes on today's much more capable hardware (change but nothing in the original, "you did this with 8mhz and half a Mb?!" engines, just spruce the graphics and sound til they bleed and add internet play) even if it should mean Yahtzee himself then comes and executes you. Trackmania and Hawx, sure, reasonable diversions, but some times you just gotta regard.

Seems that SCR benefits from braking in some places, if you want to mix it with the big boys (rather than just seeing how fast you can go and how high/far you can fly off into the painted-curtain scenery)... and are eventually rewarded with a whole extra set of 4 "super" leagues above the normal ones, where the cars are capable of an extra 40mph (UBER flying-off-into-the-scenery ability!) and the opponents are driving gods. WTF?! That was never in the plan. Four leagues, from piss-easy to impossible (and 15 years later, still damn hard), that was it.
And if you dare to go above the nancy-boy modes on F19, things rapidly become GODDAMN HARDCORE NINTENDO-STYLE and will, particularly in cold war mode, have you bottling the mission whilst still 50 klicks away, running for the border at 100ft on what of your full afterburner hasn't been AA-9'd to oblivion so your virtual pilot persona doesn't get "neutralised", tail between your legs and sweating bullets into the keyboard whilst trying to keep your crippled aircraft out of the dirt at 6~8 fps. Oh yes, there's the feeling of tension and involvement (and fun) that went missing and had me quit keeping up with the gaming scene around the middle of the PS2 era. However, it never seems to give any of those promised "secret equipment drop behind enemy lines" missions that sounded so awesome (Thief/R6/Assassins Creed style) in the manual ... maybe they were PC only?

But in both cases... a sense of ... hey, what?! How much did I miss out on when happily playing this stuff in my youth? (Save snapshot and) RAAGGEEQUIT again.

I wonder what secrets Chips Challenge may hold?

((BTW copying and pasting parts of the "screencap" is perfectly fine, given that it had such limited graphics in the first place - the entire 32 bit executable is less than 32kb; you could happily port it direct to a C64 without much trouble! I'm just happy to see that the logs are still basically horizontal rainbows in the strip, as they rather obviously were in-game (to work around Windows' naff and unchangable VGA pallette) :D))

Magic Molly

Postby Magic Molly » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:43 am UTC

Hmmm.... The 'f' key works fine, speeds me up, but the second one always seems to appear right below me, making him impossible to dodge. Am i just doin it wrong?

Ichapp

Postby Ichapp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:15 am UTC

Magic Molly wrote:Hmmm.... The 'f' key works fine, speeds me up, but the second one always seems to appear right below me, making him impossible to dodge. Am i just doin it wrong?

You can jump them. Clicking still works in 'F' mode.
Beasts move. Men reflect. Gods make real.

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:54 am UTC

They should make a skifree movie.

Lord knows they've made scripts out of less.

Cargo

Postby Cargo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:33 am UTC

So, i made my own bracelet with a "F" key (not as pretty as jamaila's though, awesome job there!)

I wore it to a move-in party, but no one got the reference, even people who had read the comic.

WTF am i doing wrong here!?

dataxpress

Postby dataxpress » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Randall probably forgot that even if you F your way past this yeti, another will get you. Another always will get you.

There's always a yeti, in the end.
I recommend filling soccer balls with napalm. Napalm is nature's toothpaste.

Magic Molly

Postby Magic Molly » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Ichapp wrote:
Magic Molly wrote:Hmmm.... The 'f' key works fine, speeds me up, but the second one always seems to appear right below me, making him impossible to dodge. Am i just doin it wrong?

You can jump them. Clicking still works in 'F' mode.

They can grab me in the jump. Ever played lugaru? It's like trying to jump over one of the wolves, it just doesn't work.

jendral_hxr

Postby jendral_hxr » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:27 am UTC

http://ski.ihoc.net/
just so much fun as the wob-comic Randall wrote

haha, I wish they (the entertainment pack) ported to GNU/Linux :D
I wish I weren't so stupid

jamaila

Postby jamaila » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

Cargo wrote:So, i made my own bracelet with a "F" key (not as pretty as jamaila's though, awesome job there!)

I wore it to a move-in party, but no one got the reference, even people who had read the comic.

WTF am i doing wrong here!?

Probably because it was on your wrist rather than somewhere... er... closer to eye level, shall we say. ;) Or people are just oblivious. I think I'm going to wear my F pendant to one of the SF conventions we sell our jewelry at and see if I get any reference-getters.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:47 am UTC

TheHand wrote:They should make a skifree movie.

Look on in horror.

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:19 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:
Look on in horror.

I do believe you are confusing "horror" with "awe".
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Cargo

Postby Cargo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:38 am UTC

jamaila wrote:Probably because it was on your wrist rather than somewhere... er... closer to eye level, shall we say. ;) Or people are just oblivious. I think I'm going to wear my F pendant to one of the SF conventions we sell our jewelry at and see if I get any reference-getters.

Actually, it was on a necklace hanging close to my cleavage (im a guy)... and errr it was actually no cleavage. But still. People saw it. And didn't get it.

Something interesting though, guys that think they can sneak a peak at a girls cleavage during a conversation without them noticing... don't do it .. it's super obvious. :shock:

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

Look on in horror.

Holy shit, Charles Cecil is a visionary, man. I've written him letters.

Now read that line again, and imagine I'm Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now. I'm that serious.

My novel was based on Broken Sword
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ShikadiLord

Postby ShikadiLord » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:08 am UTC

Ahh, the (nightmarish) memories. I never thought I'd come across a SkiFree reference in xkcd.

*dusts off copy of Windows Entertainment Pack*

This monster manages to scare the crap out of me even today. I guess its childish-drawn face adds to the creepiness factor.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

Look on in horror.
If that horrifies you, then don't click here.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:34 am UTC

BioTube wrote:

Look on in horror.

Or here.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Sp3ctre18

Postby Sp3ctre18 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

Never heard of SkiFree. Not a game I would have cared for anyway. I play games for the experience. :)

However, I've been telling people about a similar "f" key moment that I saw on youtube, only here i know this as an "o" key moment, in regards to MechWarrior 2, 31st Century Combat.

No need to watch the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_u44yTEgk
Just read the 3 comments that start with the 2nd video comment down (by sniktawleahcim)

or if you're too lazy to open the link:

Spoiler:
This is about how in MW2, firing weapons generates heat, and heat is something you have to manage. If you mech gets too hot, computer will warn you, then initiate shutdown unless you override. Then ammo will explode and theoretically, your reactor will go unstable. However, they didn't program in destruction-by-overheat, so if all you had were lasers, you could overheat all you want as long as you overide the shutdown.

sniktawleahcim: how do you override shutdown sequence?
SirxMMPD: o to override.
sniktawleahcim: i put like 100+ hours of my life into this game.. and i never knew you could override shutdown, so i always customized mechs to avoid shutdown at all costs...
this changes... everything.

alexhans

Postby alexhans » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:59 am UTC

Oh God!!!

I love Xkcd!!!

This was like... my first computer game ever...

And I thought the same about yetis as the gal in front of the pc...

Now my world is shaken... I just downloaded the game and past some yetis... O_o

Wow

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. :D

PS: I have an avatar of the yeti in lots of sites and my cell screensaver is the yeti too. It was a God... But not anymore... XD

Dason

Postby Dason » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:55 am UTC

BioTube wrote:

Look on in horror.

Speaking of Super Mario Bros. Did anybody ever watch the godawful Super Mario Bros. Super Show!? I hadn't seen it until I got netflix and instant streamed it.

"Do the Mario.
Swing your arms from side to side.
Come on it's time to go do the Mario.
Take one step, and then again
Let's do the Mario
All together now!"

I'll never look at Mario the same way again.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

flashstick

Postby flashstick » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

I kind of want to go make an F key pendant now...
I do have some dissected keyboards.
Actually, I think I will!

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:56 am UTC

Dason wrote:
BioTube wrote:

Look on in horror.

Speaking of Super Mario Bros. Did anybody ever watch the godawful Super Mario Bros. Super Show!?
I had the misfortune of seeing an episode. "don't let them touch you or you'll lose your super powers" - I've never seen a better argument for unfaithful adaptations.

ihackedthis1

Postby ihackedthis1 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

This completely blew my mind. I remember fearing the yeti, and trying to stop before it saw me. My sister and I would stare at it for minutes wondering how we would get past it.

Dipsy

Postby Dipsy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

wizzfizz wrote:xkcd merchandise idea: an "F" keyboard key on a neck chain, with a picture of the Yeti on the back.

HELLZ YEAH!!! We should make a petition for them to make one XD

Magic Molly wrote:We should all wear 'f' pendants, as a way to see who both reads the comics and the forums.

hahahah yeah that'd be so cool!
i can just imagine random people meeting each other with F pendants at conventions and stuff and like a huge group of xkcd fans being made XD
meow meow

plasticup

Re: 0667: "SkiFree"

Postby plasticup » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

With recent events, this comic inherits a sad new meaning.

:(

TrueNarnian

Re: 0667: "SkiFree"

Postby TrueNarnian » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:05 am UTC

The xkcd store should sell F-key pendants.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”