0670: "Spinal Tap Amps"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Al-pocalypse

Re: "Spinal Tap Amps" Discussion

Postby Al-pocalypse » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:01 am UTC

reminds me of some photoshopping i did years ago!

Hope the link works as i cannot access my website in work so it is purely from memory!
Ali ;)

"If I were creating a world I wouldn't mess around with butterflies and daffodiles. I'd have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!"
[BOOM!]
"...sorry..."

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:03 am UTC

ivoriv wrote:Runner up comic text: "Smart engineers make sound decisions"

I have to admit, I registered so I could post that pun on the one place in the internet someone would appreciate it

Now that's a joke I get :lol: .
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

j-beda

Postby j-beda » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:19 am UTC

Copper Top wrote:http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=8140500000

looks like fender beat you to it guys. It goes to 12.

Well, fuck that, we're going to 15!

From http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930,

" Fuck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades

By James M. Kilts
CEO and President,
The Gillette Company
February 18, 2004 | Issue 40•07

Would someone tell me how this happened? We were the fucking vanguard of shaving in this country. The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened—the bastards went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our cocks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, fuck it. We're going to five blades. ..."

vibes

Postby vibes » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:08 am UTC

I have an old amp that goes up to 12 - a lot of them do. In ye olden days, 12 was a lot more commonly used (at least in Britain), in line with the currency, units of measurement, etc. Of course, that was before all this new fangled decimalisation business :P

Makes sense when you think of it as being divisible by whole numbers - 12 is a lot easier to work with than 10, especially when you're building stuff. Why an inch is divided into 16ths is beyond me though :|

*edit: I <3 my mach3 power razor and you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead face. Or when they stop seeling the outrageously overpriced cartriges for it, whatever works for you. Seriously though, the thing is awesome.

jendral_hxr

Postby jendral_hxr » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:33 am UTC

I propose "phi"; 1.61803399.
Artful :D
I wish I weren't so stupid

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:38 am UTC

In my family we have got round the units problem by referring to them as "louds".

"How many louds is the stereo on?"

"Can we have two less [sic] louds please?"

Nice comic.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

slider142

Postby slider142 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:Also, if you're going to warp the fabric of spacetime so that you can get from point A to point B without traversing any point C in the middle, what the hell gets factored? Either spacetime is warped or it isn't.

Star Trek's warp drive is a type of Alcubierre "compressed metric" drive; the ships still travel the space between points, but the space is compressed. the warp factor is a measure of the compression.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

j-beda wrote:
Copper Top wrote:http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=8140500000

looks like fender beat you to it guys. It goes to 12.

Well, fuck that, we're going to 15!

From http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930,

" Fuck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades

By James M. Kilts
CEO and President,
The Gillette Company
February 18, 2004 | Issue 40•07

Would someone tell me how this happened? We were the fucking vanguard of shaving in this country. The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened—the bastards went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our cocks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, fuck it. We're going to five blades. ..."

Recently there was a real ad on German TV that went something like this: A razor was shown with quite a number of blades and a voice from the background says something like: "Our new razor with 16 blades will give you the finest ..." then he is interrupted and the 16-blade razor goes away / explodes and they show the actual razor (not sure how many blades, maybe just one) and they say what kind of advantages their razor has.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

vibes wrote:I have an old amp that goes up to 12 - a lot of them do. In ye olden days, 12 was a lot more commonly used (at least in Britain), in line with the currency, units of measurement, etc. Of course, that was before all this new fangled decimalisation business :P

Makes sense when you think of it as being divisible by whole numbers - 12 is a lot easier to work with than 10, especially when you're building stuff. Why an inch is divided into 16ths is beyond me though :|

*edit: I <3 my mach3 power razor and you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead face. Or when they stop seeling the outrageously overpriced cartriges for it, whatever works for you. Seriously though, the thing is awesome.

Sixteenths comes from repeatedly halving.

The scale I don't understand is the British "regulo" or "gas mark" system. In the US, when you bake cookies, for example, more often than not you set the oven to 350 (degrees F). So in the UK your recipe would say "Preheat the oven at gas mark 4"?
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Burkitt

Postby Burkitt » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

dennisw wrote: So in the UK your recipe would say "Preheat the oven at gas mark 4"?

Yes, although it would give the temperature in Celsius too for people with electric ovens.

Zak McKracken

Postby Zak McKracken » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:02 pm UTC

L O L

This strip hits the nail on the head, not much more to say

... but that needed saying, really.
Can one hack writer, two Yale coeds and a stale loaf of french bread save the world from a galactic conspiracy?

Tenth Speed Writer

Postby Tenth Speed Writer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

Very smart engineer:

I can almost double your profit margin on that amp. Just give me some adhesive and a few molded plastic letters..
Civil Engineering Major, University of Alabama.
"Yessir, I reckon 'em 'ere cent'rl s'port beams'll hol' up a'right..."

Mallet über alles!

DrBob

Postby DrBob » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

The following are apparently still missing from Unicode, despite their use in some dialects of Malagasy:

LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH DIAERESIS

LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH DIAERESIS

This should clearly be remedied!

-Dr Bob

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

DrBob wrote:The following are apparently still missing from Unicode ...

They work for me in Firefox 3.5 on Ubuntu 8.04 (for the Wikipedia articles). Maybe you don't have the right fonts installed?

-----

From what Google tells me, $2000 actually isn't an unusual price for a high-quality professional stage amp. Of course, is that 2 kilobucks in 2009 money or 1984 money?

-----

Suggested better title text: "Wow, 12? I'll take two. While you're at it, take a look at this album cover. Do you think you could make it any more black?"
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Max2009 wrote:Am I the only who was reminded of Star Trek when they recalibrated the warp factors so that warp six wasn't nearly so fast?

Also, if you're going to warp the fabric of spacetime so that you can get from point A to point B without traversing any point C in the middle, what the hell gets factored? Either spacetime is warped or it isn't.

That's how they did on Battlestar Galactica Reimagined. The ships just jump. Without any special motion.

But you can imagine you're bending A towards B without touching the two points... You will still be going from A to B without going through C, but going throgh D. The more you warp, the shorter is the distance ADB.

Oh, and I had no idea of what was a "spinal tap amp" till I saw it on XKCD Explained.
Now I can burn my cheese with abandon.
"But... it goes to elevennnn..."
Last edited by Eikinkloster on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Chaos Reigns!

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

captain2obvious wrote:
chocolate.razorblades wrote:Also, I seriously just checked my amp. It only goes up to 10. :(

For $2000 I can get you one that goes up to 12. :P

Psst! ... You should charge $4000 for one that goes to 12.

[Someone later points to a reproduction of a 1950s-era Fender amp/speaker whose dials go to 12. Its price is $3999.99. ;-)]

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

"...and I'll even sell you a pair of Monster cables for 20% off."

Seriously, there are few things as delusional, gullible, or stupid as an audiophile.

davor

Postby davor » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

Here's a real-life variant of "smart engineer" thinking. In highschool I was on the stage-lighting crew. When the head of the crew graduated and passed the baton to me, he gave me an invaluable piece of advice.

The school orchestra put on two concerts a year, which we did the lighting for. Mr. Loffelmann(sp?), the music teacher, would never be satisfied with the amount of light on stage; he'd always ask us for more.

My predecessor's advice: Don't start off with the lights up full; only put them at 7. Then, when Mr. L. asks for more light, raise them to 9. Then, when he asks again, put them up to 10, and he'll be happy as a clam. Whereas if we'd started with the lights at 10, Mr. L. would have asked for more anyway, and we wouldn't have had more to give him.

Worked like a charm.

ancientcampus

Postby ancientcampus » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

I actually have one that goes up to 13 :twisted:

SmokeyMaverick

Postby SmokeyMaverick » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

Love love Spinal Tap and XKCD, so when I saw this comic, just about died and went to heaven. My PA License plate is "I GOTO11"

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

knight427 wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:
knight427 wrote:Also, you mean F as in hexadecimal? If so shouldn't it be 15? In any case, it is probably a bad idea to use letters A-F for volume on a musical device. "Sorry, this song is in the key of G and my amp only goes to F."

Good point. If you start counting a 1, 15 would be "F," and 16 would be "G"

Next problem?

Forget that, if you want the index to look big, and you are going to deviate from base 10 numbers, you should go binary.

"My amp goes to 1011"

Actually you'd only need three settings:

1 - 10 - 11 done.

See, it skips all those unnecessary numbers and jumps right to 11.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

DrBob

Postby DrBob » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
DrBob wrote:The following are apparently still missing from Unicode ...

They work for me in Firefox 3.5 on Ubuntu 8.04 (for the Wikipedia articles). Maybe you don't have the right fonts installed?

No, that's done with a joining diaeresis (in the edit window you can delete the diaeresis without the "n".) I want a proper, one-glyph, n-umlaut!
If Unicode can have a glyph meaning "smiley face" it can surely have one of these too.

Dr Bob

I

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

DSDM wrote:"...and I'll even sell you a pair of Monster cables for 20% off."

I was once looking for a TOSLINK cable and had the salesweasel try and sell me the Monster Brand cable for $60 claiming it was better because of the heavy gauge and extra shielding against electromagnetic interference.

DSDM wrote:Seriously, there are few things as delusional, gullible, or stupid as an audiophile.

Indeed: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedic ... B000I1X6PM

(Be sure to read the customer reviews.)
-----
davor wrote:My predecessor's advice: Don't start off with the lights up full; only put them at 7. Then, when Mr. L. asks for more light, raise them to 9.

A sound engineer I was talking to once told me you always leave at least one channel unused but labeled. That way when some weenie says "Can I have a little more bass?" when you know the sound is right, you just twerk the unused channel, say "How's that?", and they weenie will be happy.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

A smart engineer would charge $20,000 for an amp that could go to 100. Then make it by painting an extra 0 after every number on a normal amp.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Mekmek

Postby Mekmek » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:

Only 5 blades?

The part that worries me is that this is more conceivable than it is funny. Still very funny though. :lol:

Also:
Why not amps that go to googol, Clarkkkkson and the xkcd number? Integers are the better choice here over the Reals, imho. For that matter, why not amps with (-i)^2, -i, 0, i, i^2?

I know that last one wasn't a good joke. :P

userxp

Postby userxp » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Zakamutt wrote:
Robstickle wrote:
Zakamutt wrote:Nerdy engineer: Maybe I should make one that has 3.14, 666 and 1337 on it?

I want e as an option god dammit.

I think you would have to make an e edition and a pi edition. Perhaps e*100?

The best thing would be e^iπ

slifty

Postby slifty » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

(Everyone knows that Spinal Tap is a satire... right? I.e. the commentary being made in panels 2 and 3 were already covered by the existence of the amp... I assume so but I'm worried by a subtle scent of people in this thread feeling smarter than they actually are and I can't handle that! OH GOD now it's coming from me too!)

Good stuff though;)
Last edited by slifty on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

corkiethedog

Postby corkiethedog » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

Ah -- Spinal Tap! I love that line -- "We go to 11!". Sadly, so few around me ever get the reference anymore.
I have traveled from 1962 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

lihan161051 wrote:And of course Randall puts the umlaut over the N. ;) Classic. (And good attention to detail, but that's to be expected.)

Except he didn̈'t put one in the title.

HelloWorld123

Postby HelloWorld123 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

Smart engineer ... that's me!!!
Step 1) Buy a stock amplifier.
Step 2) Have a new face plate made in with awesome graphics, and numbers that go to 13.
Step 3) Remove old faceplate and install new faceplate.
Step 4) Add shiny knobs.
Step 5) Mark price 75% above original amp price. Hem and ha about wanting to let it go "since it is so totally awesome".

Smarter engineer.

Step 1) Tell Nigel that you will boost his existing amp enabling it to go to 12
Step 2) Change knob
Step 3) Profit

Drake

Postby Drake » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

Mekmek wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:

Only 5 blades?

The part that worries me is that this is more conceivable than it is funny. Still very funny though. :lol:

Also:
Why not amps that go to googol, Clarkkkkson and the xkcd number? Integers are the better choice here over the Reals, imho. For that matter, why not amps with (-i)^2, -i, 0, i, i^2?

I know that last one wasn't a good joke. :P

guys, I hate to kill the mood but this is serious. We are 5 years away from the singularity.

After that we can only speculate what it will be like to shave with a surface of infinite shaving density. It will be sandpaper for your soul!

cerumen

Postby cerumen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Am I the only one that upon reading this thought of another group of people that have trouble understanding units? http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/

and of which Randall has had dealings... http://xkcd.com/verizon/

Kingrames

Postby Kingrames » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

...but 12 isn't a prime number!

Raptorkaptor

Postby Raptorkaptor » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

I wonder if they got on this topic Becasue of

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-appare ... tive/c498/

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

For $4000, I will make one that can be set to volumes such as square root of 2, pi, e, and i. Yeah that's right, you can set it to an imaginary number. Guess where on the scale I put it. :mrgreen:
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

dragondave

Postby dragondave » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

I can't remember where I heard that the reason those amps went up to 11 was that it was a bel scale: i.e. the top end of the range was 110 decibels.

Sadly, can't find any evidence for this online. Another happy urban myth sadly shattered. :(

Vetch

Postby Vetch » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

There's no reason why the numbers on an amp would have anything to do with decibels... Take, for instance, this amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG ... 1440389.gc It's 15 watts, with an 8" speaker. The knobs go to ten. Now, take this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-19 ... 1322995.gc That's a full stack, and in each part it has four 12" speakers, and it's 120 watts. The knobs go to ten.
The difference between the 15W and the Full stack are obvious enough, but both have their own 0-10 scale. There's no consistency between different amps. In theory it might be 1/10 of the total volume for each increment, but that doesn't really work in most cases either (like the above comment that after 7, it's not as significant of a difference.)
That said, yesterday I was looking at how much it would take for me to get a knob that goes to 11 and a "pot" (Where the knob goes on a guitar or amp) for a gift, for the sheer novelty of being able to "Turn it up to 11" especially when the knob would be useless, not connected to anything. Found it kind of strange, and thought the comic was very funny.

Isaac356

Postby Isaac356 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

I would replace the faceplate with one that went from 2 to 20...even numbers only.

"DOUBLE YOUR VALUE!"
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

class Foo
  def x
    return 1
  end
  def bar
    puts x
    x = 0 if false
    puts x
    x = 2
    puts x
  end
end

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+PgDown

thinboy00

Postby thinboy00 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:07 am UTC

Random832 wrote:
lihan161051 wrote:And of course Randall puts the umlaut over the N. ;) Classic. (And good attention to detail, but that's to be expected.)

Except he didn̈'t put one in the title.

$ unicode n̈
U+006E LATIN SMALL LETTER N
UTF-8: 6e  UTF-16BE: 006e  Decimal: &#110;
n (N)
Uppercase: U+004E
Category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
Bidi: L (Left-to-Right)

U+0308 COMBINING DIAERESIS
UTF-8: cc 88  UTF-16BE: 0308  Decimal: &#776;
 ̈
Category: Mn (Mark, Non-Spacing)
Bidi: NSM (Non-Spacing Mark)
Combining: 230 (Above)

Cheater! Combining diacritical marks (someone else complained that LATIN SMALL/CAPTIAL LETTER N WITH DIAERESIS doesn't exist in unicode. Are they right?)!

For those that care about wtf "unicode" is,
Spoiler:

$ aptitude show unicode
Package: unicode
State: [omitted but obvious]
Automatically installed: [omitted]
Version: 0.9.2
Priority: optional [duh]
Section: universe/utils
Maintainer: [omitted; was a link to the distro, not the upstream devs]
Uncompressed Size: 98.3k
Depends: python (>= 2.3)
Suggests: perl-modules | console-data (< 2:1.0-1) | unicode-data
Description: display unicode character properties
 unicode is a simple command line utility that displays properties for a given
 unicode character, or searches unicode database for a given name.

well it's a very handy tool. It reports the nonexistence of LATIN SMALL/CAPTIAL LETTER N WITH DIAERESIS (two separate searches). So either n̈ doesn't exist in Unicode as one character or else they've given it a weird name. Given the clusterfuck that is unicode character naming (e.g. SOLIDUS and FRACTION SLASH are swapped), I'd go for the second one.

EDIT: Oops I was wrong:
Neither "N̈" nor "n̈" are characters in the Unicode character set, and have to be represented as a letter "N" (or "n") and combining diaeresis U+0308.

--Wikipedia

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”