0677: "Asshole"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The1exile

Re: "Asshole" Discussion

Postby The1exile » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:04 am UTC

TheoGB wrote:Important Thread Sub-Question

Do you rhyme 'scone' with 'cone' or 'gone'?

gone. I know this because my godmother makes the best damn sconns in the world evah.
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:42 am UTC

"Gone" is a poor example, as in my accent at least, that rhymes with "scorn", and not with either of the two potential pronunciations of "scone". (The technical term is the cot-caught merger - accents that merge those two vowels pronounce "gone" to rhyme with that pronunciation of "scone").

Perhaps "cone" and "don" would be two better example. Or really, any of these vs any of these.

Not that it matters, though, because "don" rhymes with this, and "cone" rhymes with this.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

DaveMcW

Postby DaveMcW » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:59 am UTC

An asshole, am I?
Perhaps you'd like to see how assssss-holish I can be!

bobbbbbbby1234

Postby bobbbbbbby1234 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

So, are SUV and hyrid owners really assholes?

VDOgamez

Postby VDOgamez » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

My friend Mr. Internet says that scone is recognized to be pronounced as both "s-cone" and "s-con", with a small majority leaning towards the latter in Britain, and a large majority in Scotland. America has a majority that pronounces it as the former. My personal opinion is that it should be pronounced as s-cone, because it apparently derives from "schoonbrood", which has two long Os.

Also, the comic was funny.

mjc0961

Postby mjc0961 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:02 pm UTC

I had no idea that white beret guy could be so... "black hat guy-ish"! I love it. :twisted:

Very nice alt text as well.

femgemwarrior

Postby femgemwarrior » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

I think it should have been drawn so the guy in panels 2 and 4 doesn't look like the same one from 1, 3, and 5, because I was honestly confused the first several times I read it over. Also Mr. Beret seems a little out of character.

Other than that, I liked it.

munimkazia

Postby munimkazia » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

Nice..
The beret guy finally loses his cool!

SolkaTruesilver

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

The whole point of this comic is to express how much our society values individuality.

But in your individuality, you are better be like everybody else, otherwise you are a jerk when it's not good ennough, or you are elitist when it's better.

JediTony

Postby JediTony » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

This situation reminds me of the phenomenon that while driving on highways/expressways, anyone going slower than you is an idiot while anyone going faster than you is a maniac. There is also the anyone less intelligent that you is a retard and the anyone more intelligent than you is a show-off / pretentious prick. Don't deny it, we've all done one of these self-centered unfair judgment protocols at some point.

keithc

Postby keithc » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

JediTony wrote:This situation reminds me of the phenomenon that while driving on highways/expressways, anyone going slower than you is an idiot while anyone going faster than you is a maniac. There is also the anyone less intelligent that you is a retard and the anyone more intelligent than you is a show-off / pretentious prick. Don't deny it, we've all done one of these self-centered unfair judgment protocols at some point.

Yes, but the difference between me and the rest of you is that I am right. And there aren't many people more intelligent than me, so that's not something I worry about.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

This reminds me of the immensely more spectacular Legend of the Killdozer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer
500%!

nahkaimurrao

Postby nahkaimurrao » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

Marvin was just a guy trying to make it in the world. But the world didn't accept him. They pushed him around. One day they pushed him too far. That was the day Marvin went to City hall. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Spoiler:
in a Komatsu D355A bulldozer

nahkaimurrao

Postby nahkaimurrao » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

sh*t, Klapaucius you beat me by two minutes.

AndersE

Postby AndersE » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Well, this was definitely a disappointment. Beret-guy's response/comment in panel one is just strange, and unnecessary to convey the point. The comic should have ended in panel three, making this a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" joke (which isn't original, but can be funny if properly executed). But it doesn't. Instead 60 % of the comic is devoted to the point GETS MAD AND GETS EVEN BY BUYING EXCAVATOR AND HITTING PEOPLE W/ SHOVEL! LOLZZ!!!

According to label, this isn't web comic of puerile slap-stick.

Carl-E

Postby Carl-E » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Anyone else reminded of this?

It's a song that has gotten me through many a tough day...

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

So... Beret guy is hisslef in panel one, but this time it actually shows his reaction. When his reaction isn't 'right', he finally has a nervous breakdown and... buys a STEAMSHOVEL??? He needs to take some lessons from BHG. The proper response is a TANK. Or NUCLEAR SUBMARINE. Or something similarly destructive. Either that, or something well thought out, ironic, and mentally destructive to the people calling him asshole. On the other hand, he is back in character with the scones.

(He should have just stolen a BAKERY and had all the scones.)
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

kaimason1 wrote:Either that, or something well thought out, ironic, and mentally destructive to the people calling him asshole.
I'm thinking either a hydrogen-powered Hummer or a Prius that somehow gets 10 mpg.

Ooh, or a car that runs on whale oil.
500%!

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

JediTony wrote:This situation reminds me of the phenomenon that while driving on highways/expressways, anyone going slower than you is an idiot while anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

This is true, I know it because I drive at the speed limit. In the left lane of the highway.
I do not actually do anything so dickish, highway speed for me is "keeping up with traffic"
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Sagard

Postby Sagard » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Have you ever tried stealing scones with a nuclear submarine? It's very difficult. Not to mention, there aren't too many waterfront bakeries.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

AndersE wrote:According to label, this isn't web comic of puerile slap-stick.

Oh, but certainly people NEED to project themselves in comics like these, to compensate for the things they wished to do in real life but don't, because they have no self-assurance to stand for their opinions.

VforVancouver
Location: The Capital of the Former Kingdom of the New Galicia

Postby VforVancouver » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

As a guy who learned English as a second language, I can't hear any difference in the way you pronounce cone, gone and scone. For me, it all sounds the same. However, I need a scone now.

Mo-velocipede

Postby Mo-velocipede » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

Hey, guys! No need to be a detractor and say that this comic disappoints. Although the last two comics didn't do much for me, I checked again today because I knew that eventually, Randall would throw those with my type of humor a bone.

This comic is so relevant to real life. Well, maybe not the whole buying-an-excavator part. I thoroughly enjoyed the comic: I grinned as I read it, and then burst out laughing when I read the mouse-over text. I knew something about scones needed to be included! And I think beret-guy's traits are certainly endearing. He may not be the most brilliant or wisest guy, but he knows how to live.*

As far as I know, here in the American Midwest, scone rhymes with cone, both in turn rhyme with own. All of them, of course, rhyme with pwn.

*eating scones

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

Mo-velocipede wrote:Hey, guys! No need to be a detractor and say that this comic disappoints. Although the last two comics didn't do much for me, I checked again today because I knew that eventually, Randall would throw those with my type of humor a bone.

This comic is so relevant to real life. Well, maybe not the whole buying-an-excavator part. I thoroughly enjoyed the comic: I grinned as I read it, and then burst out laughing when I read the mouse-over text. I knew something about scones needed to be included! And I think beret-guy's traits are certainly endearing. He may not be the most brilliant or wisest guy, but he knows how to live.*

As far as I know, here in the American Midwest, scone rhymes with cone, both in turn rhyme with own. All of them, of course, rhyme with pwn.

*eating scones

I've been told by very reliable sources that buying an excavator is essential for personal growth.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

In my opinion, SUV drivers in urban areas are assholes. Then again, people who drive a car in order to go somewhere less than 400 meters away are assholes in my opinion. So they're not necessarily assholes for driving around in an SUV in an urban environment, but the odds are high.

However, hybrid drivers are currently bad for the environment*. The shipment and manufacturing costs and stress on the environment are much larger than the average car, making the average joe car better for the environment than a hybrid. And then they act all smug as if they're saving the environment? They're just stupid. And besides, they're using dirty electricity. Anybody who drives a Toyota Prius is destroying the earth more than most regular car drivers.

If you want to help the environment, use public transport, bikes, and/or motorcycles (motorcycles when traveling alone).

Source: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f33/ ... ent-12657/

Mo-velocipede

Postby Mo-velocipede » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

Or mopeds!

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:In my opinion, SUV drivers in urban areas are assholes.

So, care to name me another car I can get with better gas mileage. Oh, there's a catch - it has to be able to safely and comfortably house at least 3 greyhounds, each of which stands 3 feet tall and refuses to lay down. Even the giant station wagons won't fit these dogs, and have worse gas mileage than an SUV.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

hoffmanj

Postby hoffmanj » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

I couldn't follow the plot of this comic at all, until I read it here. Sorry Randall, XKCD art fail. I thought Beret Guy kept handing his keys to the original male heckler. It made no sense. There are surely better ways of getting across "In this panel, Beret Guy goes to the car dealership to buy a new car."

Mo-velocipede

Postby Mo-velocipede » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 am UTC

How about a moped trailer! ... but seriously, folks.

OK, OK, I've got nothing.

But as for the Prius, after reading the forum post at the end of that link, I think you should be taking it with a grain of salt. His source has been taken offline, and the whole "It's so bad, NASA uses the land to test their rovers?" I mean, seriously? That just sounds like someone is trying to trump up their attacks. For another thing, "dirty electricity?" Electricity is only as dirty as its production, and as far as I know, the hybrids that aren't "plug-ins" generate their own electricity with the gasoline that they use at higher speeds.

My family's primary car is the stick-shift version of the 2002 Toyota Echo--It has a fuel efficient engine, is tiny, and feels like it when you're on the freeway, but we get about forty miles to the gallon and it was extremely inexpensive. They've since discontinued the model, but I see smaller, non-hybrid, stick shifts as a much more viable option than Hybrids or SUVs. It's at least something that we can use while we wait for the Aptera to become available in the frozen north.

Whoops, ninja'd

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:37 am UTC

This comic reminds me of that time I heard about those two guys carrying a donkey on a pole...
- Doug

Kimmeh

Postby Kimmeh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Sagard wrote:Have you ever tried stealing scones with a nuclear submarine? It's very difficult. Not to mention, there aren't too many waterfront bakeries.

I feel like this is something that we should fix.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:58 am UTC

Kimmeh wrote:
Sagard wrote:Have you ever tried stealing scones with a nuclear submarine? It's very difficult. Not to mention, there aren't too many waterfront bakeries.

I feel like this is something that we should fix.

Added to my list, right next to Invisibility and Happiness
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

compro01

Postby compro01 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:01 am UTC

VforVancouver wrote:As a guy who learned English as a second language, I can't hear any difference in the way you pronounce cone, gone and scone. For me, it all sounds the same. However, I need a scone now.

As a guy who is a native English speaker in central Canada, I also hear no difference between them.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:In my opinion, SUV drivers in urban areas are assholes. Then again, people who drive a car in order to go somewhere less than 400 meters away are assholes in my opinion.
Well, that makes me glad we have a truck and therefore don't qualify as assholes(yes, we use it for work - dollying appliances a thousand feet isn't really practical).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Kaspa

Postby Kaspa » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

beret guy isn't angry, beret guy is solving a problem

he doesn't want to be seen as an asshole, so after trying to change his own behavior doesn't work, he simply removes the ones with the offending opinions

Incomitatus

Postby Incomitatus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:21 am UTC

Re: s-cone vs s-con.

I lived in Scotland for four years. First thing I learned: words are pronounced differently from one village or town to the next. Not quite as patchwork as England, but still... 'common pronunciation' is a joke.

Where I was, scone would rhyme with 'dune' or with 'moon'. That was in the East Neuk of Fife.

Another thing I learned... if you want to annoy a Scot, call it a roll or a muffin or a biscuit. :P

elad661

Postby elad661 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:33 am UTC

hoffmanj wrote:I couldn't follow the plot of this comic at all, until I read it here. Sorry Randall, XKCD art fail. I thought Beret Guy kept handing his keys to the original male heckler. It made no sense. There are surely better ways of getting across "In this panel, Beret Guy goes to the car dealership to buy a new car."

He does buy a new car, the man in panels 2 and 4 is a car dealer. In panel 2, he returns the SUV and buys the hybrid. In panel 4, he returns the hybrid and buys this big vehicle (In my country we call it a digger).

By the way: Hi all, I'm new. (long time reader, but this is my first time in this forum)

Bin

Postby Bin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
AndersE wrote:According to label, this isn't web comic of puerile slap-stick.

Oh, but certainly people NEED to project themselves in comics like these, to compensate for the things they wished to do in real life but don't, because they have no self-assurance to stand for their opinions.

Hey, hey, no need to get malignant. Variety is the spice of life. If the humor doesn’t suit you, come back next comic. :)
As for projecting, I would say more positively that projection is healthy. No, you don’t want to end up shooting yourself in the head while incased in your giant, homemade death-tank (not undermining the awesomeness of this act, because it was epic) but who hasn’t released a little bit of angry energy by imagining bulldozing their (insert random, annoying personage here).

I thought this one was funny. I don’t think it was hard to understand, because there is a car lot in the background in the strips where he is purchasing a car, and not the other two. I find it easier to believe he changed locations and purchased a car than he turned over the keys to his heckler while a floating car lot descended about them. But that’s just me. ;)

As for scone…. I tend to pronounce it halfway between “strewn” and “grown” if that makes any sense…….

Deus

Postby Deus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

.....I WANT AN EXCAVATOR!

As long its a hybrid...

HEY!

Does the pneumatic system count?

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:56 am UTC

compro01 wrote:
VforVancouver wrote:As a guy who learned English as a second language, I can't hear any difference in the way you pronounce cone, gone and scone. For me, it all sounds the same. However, I need a scone now.

As a guy who is a native English speaker in central Canada, I also hear no difference between them.

It's pretty pronounced here in Britain. Cone has a long O sound while gone has a short O. It's important that scone does NOT have a long O sound. ;)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”