0681: "Gravity Wells"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 0681: "Gravity Wells"

Postby jimbo1981 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

What's the number quoted under the Earth (5478 km) in the poster?
The height of Earth's gravity well is it's radius, by definition (6379 km).
jimbo1981

Postby jetsam » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:38 am UTC

He put in The Sirens of Titan! :D
jetsam

Postby armandoalvarez » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

I went to the XKCD store and saw the poster for this comic. So I started looking at the comic again for the first time in years, and saw the text that "If you dropped a few dozen more Jupiters into Jupiter, the pressure would ignite fusion and make it a star."
To me, this would be an awesome "What if?"
Obviously the results would be disastrous for the rest of the solar system, but does anyone have any guess about the details? What kind of star would it become? How would its orbit with the sun change? What would happen to the orbits of the other planets in between? Would some far distance rock, say Pluto or one of the moons of Neptune, become as warm as the earth?
armandoalvarez

Postby VanI » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:26 am UTC

armandoalvarez wrote:I went to the XKCD store and saw the poster for this comic. So I started looking at the comic again for the first time in years, and saw the text that "If you dropped a few dozen more Jupiters into Jupiter, the pressure would ignite fusion and make it a star."

mailto:whatif@xkcd.com
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...
VanI

Postby bmonk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:38 am UTC

armandoalvarez wrote:I went to the XKCD store and saw the poster for this comic. So I started looking at the comic again for the first time in years, and saw the text that "If you dropped a few dozen more Jupiters into Jupiter, the pressure would ignite fusion and make it a star."
Obviously the results would be disastrous for the rest of the solar system, but does anyone have any guess about the details? What kind of star would it become? How would its orbit with the sun change? What would happen to the orbits of the other planets in between? Would some far distance rock, say Pluto or one of the moons of Neptune, become as warm as the earth?

I know how it would end:
If you dropped in enough additional matter, you could make it a supernova explosion.
"The position was well put indeed in a famous speech by Jzbl to the graduates of the Central Saturnian University, when he said that it was a source of great pride to him that although hardly anybody knew anything any longer, everybody now knew how to find out everything."
bmonk

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:49 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:

I know how it would end:
If you dropped in enough additional matter, you could make it a supernova explosion.

If you dropped in enough additional matter quickly enough, you could make a black hole. Keep dropping more in and you can get a black hole with an event horizon the size of the universe...
rmsgrey

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads