0684: "We Get It"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
sanguine
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby sanguine » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:You mean, you're a woman who doesn't care for a movie with the same pacing (and director) as Titanic? You wouldn't want to see a sappy love story about two people from (literally) different worlds? You wouldn't date a guy simply because society told you too?


ESPECIALLY when the above apply. Thanks for the kudos!
I was so happy when Jack finally snuffed it in Titanic. I dislike (most) love stories. Society telling me I have to go out with someone makes me try to avoid him at all cost.
And above all: When I pay to see a film at the cinema, I damned well am going to watch that film, and it better be good! (;

Also, I think it's kinda weird to watch a story that prominently features romance with someone you might possibly expierence romance with (because of society, and convention, and because you slightly fancy each other anyway). It puts pressure on both of you to alter the pace at which you're going. It's like, "this looks so much better on screen, I really should do something to take that into real life".

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who instantly thought "hey, it's those aliens from Albion again!" :mrgreen:
"Oh, no. We're not trapped in here with them. They're trapped in here with Jenkins." "What's a Jenkins?" "Jenkins is... well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."

Domovoi
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Domovoi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:00 am UTC

It's funny because Randall has been doing the exact same thing ladder guy is doing dozens of times in his own comics. Hypocrisy or extremely veiled self-criticism? You decide!

User avatar
Ulc
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen university

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Ulc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:But back on the subject of the comic, people do these things for different reasons.
Sometimes just to tell people they're taken "Oh me yarm! Don't get any ideas! I have a significant other!"
personal pride "Oh me yarm I'M totally dating someone!"
Jealousy "Oh me yarm She's mine! NOT YOURS!"
Mistrust "SHE'S MINE! And I can't trust her to tell YOU that!"
or compensating for low self esteem "Oh me yarm I'M totally dating HER, BACK OFF! She might leave me if she notices how much better than me you are!"


Or simply because they are happy?

I know that when I'm happy, I tend to tell people. I've certainly been the guy with the figurative stepladder in the past. Not for personal pride, jealousy or any of the other reasons, but simply out of happiness.

That said, I tend to just use names.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

User avatar
EnRohbi
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:54 pm UTC
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby EnRohbi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:
Sprocket wrote:But back on the subject of the comic, people do these things for different reasons.
Sometimes just to tell people they're taken "Oh me yarm! Don't get any ideas! I have a significant other!"
personal pride "Oh me yarm I'M totally dating someone!"
Jealousy "Oh me yarm She's mine! NOT YOURS!"
Mistrust "SHE'S MINE! And I can't trust her to tell YOU that!"
or compensating for low self esteem "Oh me yarm I'M totally dating HER, BACK OFF! She might leave me if she notices how much better than me you are!"


Or simply because they are happy?

I know that when I'm happy, I tend to tell people. I've certainly been the guy with the figurative stepladder in the past. Not for personal pride, jealousy or any of the other reasons, but simply out of happiness.

That said, I tend to just use names.


Yeah, I usually try to use names too.
Instead of saying "My girlfriend", I'll say "Rebecca".

Partially because, as implied in the comic, I always tend to take special note when someone is constantly spouting off "My girlfriend". I'm either thinking "You're way too proud", or "I'd really rather know her name."

Obviously, there's an exception for this if the fact there's a relationship is relevant somehow to whatever you're intending to say.

User avatar
PhantomPhanatic
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby PhantomPhanatic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

My Girlfriend won't see Avatar with me. Though, it's probably for the best. We'll see Sherlock Holmes tonight instead.
We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming.
-- Wernher Von Braun

User avatar
neoliminal
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby neoliminal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:03 pm UTC

Capt. Obvious wrote:I guess I'm replacing the "I saw Avatar with MY GIRLFRIEND" with "I saw Avatar in 3D I-MAX". My guess is it's just as annoying.


How about "I saw YOUR GIRLFRIEND in 3D I-MAX." And it wasn't an avatar.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

PhantomPhanatic wrote:My Girlfriend won't see Avatar with me. Though, it's probably for the best. We'll see Sherlock Holmes tonight instead.
It's probably a far better movie. I liked Holmes.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Faranya
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Faranya » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

EnRohbi wrote:Yeah, I usually try to use names too.
Instead of saying "My girlfriend", I'll say "Rebecca".

Partially because, as implied in the comic, I always tend to take special note when someone is constantly spouting off "My girlfriend". I'm either thinking "You're way too proud", or "I'd really rather know her name."

Obviously, there's an exception for this if the fact there's a relationship is relevant somehow to whatever you're intending to say.


Yeah, see, but if you just say "Rebecca", I say "Who the hell is Rebecca?"

I figure the easiest way is to say "my girlfriend, Rebecca" the first time, and then stick to names...
Image

User avatar
Fin Archangel
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 am UTC
Location: in ur base, killing ur doodz
Contact:

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Fin Archangel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

Sigh...this almost made me want to cry.

RANDALL, PLEASE GET OUT OF MY HEAD. SERIOUSLY.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Cpt.DaveyJones
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:32 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Cpt.DaveyJones » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:32 am UTC

.cheeseofdoom. wrote: that some of my friends make fun of me for having a LDR, while they haven't ever had a girlfriend.


Whats wrong with having a Light Dependent Resistor?



Scenario: Persons X and Y are chatting but not flirting. Person X casually (and not for the above reasons) mentions their spouse. Person Y suddenly thinks, "Oh gosh, Person X thinks I am flirting with them, and has slipped into the conversation a supposedly-subtle reference to their spouse to indicate their non-availability." Person Y then quickly ends the conversation in embarrassment, but not because they were actually flirting. Person X then reflects on the strange end to the conversation, and thinks it must have been because Person Y was flirting.


Now that's easy. Two ways:
A) Ignore
B) Smile gently and give a look, as in "lol, what were you thinking?". If X actually referenced her spouse to indicate anything, X'll know you weren't actually flirting, or just flirting as among friends. If that person didn't, X'll most probably ignore it anyway.


I'm actually not bothered by people being proud of their spouse, I'm happy for them. When they keep mentioning it though I leave them and look for people I can actually talk with.


Society telling me I have to go out with someone makes me try to avoid him at all cost.


I find that funny. At the very beginning of my life, I did everything because society told me to be "in". Then I started doing the opposite, because I wanted to be "free".
Now I do what I want when I want because I want. I don't care if its mainstream or not. I don't care if society dislikes it or not. You should try it out, too.


Yeah, see, but if you just say "Rebecca", I say "Who the hell is Rebecca?"

I figure the easiest way is to say "my girlfriend, Rebecca" the first time, and then stick to names...


.... Rebecca ...
-> Who the hell is rebecca?
My girlfriend.
-> Ah, ok, thanks.

Sometimes you're friends forget. Sometimes you forget whether you've told them or not.
According to my personal experience this works best.
It doesn't work though when someone of your siblings and your beloved both have the same name.
I had a severe crush on a girl named Hannah.
My (back then) 7 yrs old sister's name is Hannah too.
I figured I'd best call the girl Hannah Edot (As in Hannah E.)
Then I realized my sister's name is Hannah E. too >_> (not the same father, hence we have a different last name)

She started dating another boy infront of my eyes a couple of hours after telling me I was her "protective angel" and "always there for her" and stuff =D

User avatar
lodo_bear
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:04 am UTC
Location: Near the American Dead Sea
Contact:

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby lodo_bear » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:16 am UTC

Glade wrote:And yet, all I can think to do is MS Paint-o-shop this together with "How it Happened".
Your thought is my compulsion:
Image
Not a perfect image (where did the loudspeaker go?), but I find it an oddly compelling usage of "that's what she said".

GreenStormElf
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:21 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby GreenStormElf » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 am UTC

Indeed.

Well, I think that Avatar was crap.

SaintCahier
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:36 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby SaintCahier » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:34 am UTC

That's not the most annoying. The most annoying is, after suffering this behaviour from people for years, when you vengefully say :

"I saw Avatar with my boyfriend ! "

They all go "Must you gays turn everything into a flag waving political statement ?"

User avatar
Eikinkloster
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:07 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Eikinkloster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:58 am UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:I saw Avatar just today. What a terrible movie. It's like one big, giant Hollywood cliche. At least it was pretty.

Anyway, yeah, I saw it by myself. . . and there's nothing wrong with that!


I saw Avatar first with
MY GIRLFRIEND.
And then I dumped her, and saw it again by myself, in 3D.
Chaos Reigns!

User avatar
Eikinkloster
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:07 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Eikinkloster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:It's funny because Randall has been doing the exact same thing ladder guy is doing dozens of times in his own comics. Hypocrisy or extremely veiled self-criticism? You decide!


It might be that he didn't realize he had incurred in MY GIRLFRIEND behaviour. It would be more a matter of lack of self awareness...
By the way, Domovoi, GET OUT OF MY HEAD! I've been annoyed by Randall's "look I'm in love" comics more than once.
Chaos Reigns!

shalbamo
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:39 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby shalbamo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

SaintCahier wrote:That's not the most annoying. The most annoying is, after suffering this behaviour from people for years, when you vengefully say :

"I saw Avatar with my boyfriend ! "

They all go "Must you gays turn everything into a flag waving political statement ?"


I hate to break it to you, but pretty much ALL minorities do this. if you agree with them without being them, you "Don't understand my viewpoint". If you don't, you "Are racist/sexist/homophobic".\

I am a white, straight, financially well off male. In america's eyes, I may as well be Satan. Have you "Made things right" with your constant protesting and accusation? No, my friend, what you have done is turned the tables.


Also: Don't give me that "Payback" bullshit either.

myoxisbroken
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:54 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby myoxisbroken » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

shalbamo wrote:
SaintCahier wrote:That's not the most annoying. The most annoying is, after suffering this behaviour from people for years, when you vengefully say :

"I saw Avatar with my boyfriend ! "

They all go "Must you gays turn everything into a flag waving political statement ?"


I hate to break it to you, but pretty much ALL minorities do this. if you agree with them without being them, you "Don't understand my viewpoint". If you don't, you "Are racist/sexist/homophobic".\

I am a white, straight, financially well off male. In america's eyes, I may as well be Satan. Have you "Made things right" with your constant protesting and accusation? No, my friend, what you have done is turned the tables.


Also: Don't give me that "Payback" bullshit either.


Gosh, your life must be sooooooooooooooo hard. Because getting called a racist is approximately 800 times worse than having to actually live with racism. Truly.

ocdscale
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:27 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby ocdscale » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

shalbamo wrote:I hate to break it to you, but pretty much ALL minorities do this. if you agree with them without being them, you "Don't understand my viewpoint". If you don't, you "Are racist/sexist/homophobic".\


Way to take the high ground there, guy.

shalbamo
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:39 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby shalbamo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

myoxisbroken wrote:
shalbamo wrote:
SaintCahier wrote:That's not the most annoying. The most annoying is, after suffering this behaviour from people for years, when you vengefully say :

"I saw Avatar with my boyfriend ! "

They all go "Must you gays turn everything into a flag waving political statement ?"


I hate to break it to you, but pretty much ALL minorities do this. if you agree with them without being them, you "Don't understand my viewpoint". If you don't, you "Are racist/sexist/homophobic".\

I am a white, straight, financially well off male. In america's eyes, I may as well be Satan. Have you "Made things right" with your constant protesting and accusation? No, my friend, what you have done is turned the tables.


Also: Don't give me that "Payback" bullshit either.


Gosh, your life must be sooooooooooooooo hard. Because getting called a racist is approximately 800 times worse than having to actually live with racism. Truly.


And it must be SOOOO hard getting treated ten times better than everyone else simply because people don't want to be called a racist. Those damn racists!

Actually, you know what? I'm done with this, forget it. I'd rather have an intelligent discussion than deal with a meaningless insult war. Flaming is for twelve year old boys. You are not worth my time. If you want to get mad at somebody you do not know over an honest opinion, be my guest. But I'm not going to waste my time.

User avatar
ThatITGuy
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:36 am UTC
Location: Your Mother's Couch

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby ThatITGuy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

any one ever seen this comparison before?

Click The Spoiler
Spoiler:
Image
Last edited by ThatITGuy on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
What's wrong with being naked? We came into this world naked and I intend to go out of it naked.

Image

User avatar
TheTedinator
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 am UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby TheTedinator » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

Avatar? Oh yeah, saw it last week with

MY MOM

Damn.

User avatar
Platypodes
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:42 am UTC
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Platypodes » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:53 am UTC

Faranya wrote:Yeah, see, but if you just say "Rebecca", I say "Who the hell is Rebecca?"

I figure the easiest way is to say "my girlfriend, Rebecca" the first time, and then stick to names...

I like this one.

If just a name is used, I might be embarrassed to say "Who the hell is ___?" because the speaker seems to be assuming I should know who ____ is and I'll wonder if they told me about her and I forgot...

Alternately, if I've met the person they're talking about... "Are you going out with _____?" can be an awkward question. If they're not, they can be embarrassed, appalled at the very notion of going out with ___, feel bad because they really want to go out with ____ but ____ just wants to be friends, or want to know what the hell gave me that idea.

Also, sometimes ____ is somebody I'd be interested in myself, and I'd like to know if he's available or not but I'm afraid that if I ask about that, it will be obvious why I'm asking, and his significant other might not like my being interested.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

santiago
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby santiago » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:00 am UTC

I was just viewing an authors@google talk about emotional inteligence, and during the QA a guy asked something like "have you studied people in love and wether or not that affects their inteligence blabla *pause* I'm trying to understand my girlfriend" *laughs*

And I hated him for a second, but then I thought I didn't know wether it was my own feeling or I copied it from this comic.

lcdrambrose
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby lcdrambrose » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:50 am UTC

Oh yeah, well a bunch of my friends went to see Avatar with MY GIRLFRIEND
...without me. :(
But I did see Donnie Darko instead, and I have to say, it was a chillingly good movie. Everyone should watch it if they have a chance. (And I did just use "they" as a singular pronoun. Deal with it)


Did I mention that I'm seeing someone?

scarletmanuka
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:29 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:30 am UTC

masterwizard wrote:The solution to this problem, and the problem addressed in the comic, would for there to be a universal, but more subtle way of declaring a relationship. Like rings or something. Married people wear wedding rings, and so you can check to see if someone is wearing a wedding ring. If there was something similar to this for relationships, then you could check to see if they had one or not, and they'd never have to bring it up, and neither would you, but you'd know anyway.

You want the Betan earrings from Lois McMaster Bujold's A Civil Campaign.
With a reluctant frown, she drew her Betan earrings from her ears, and tucked them into her bolero pocket. Mama had hung around with Countes Cordelia enough; she might well be able to decode their Betan meaning. This was the style that said: Yes, I'm a consenting and contraceptive-protected adult, but I am presently in an exclusive relationship, so please do not embarrass us both by asking. Which was rather a lot to encrypt in a few twists of metal, and the Betans had a dozen more styles for other nuances; she'd graduated through a couple of them.

Bryy
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Bryy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 am UTC

I saw Avatar last weekend with a girl who is simply my friend.

<<

>>

What?

Czhorat
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

ty]t

Postby Czhorat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

shalbamo wrote:
SaintCahier wrote:That's not the most annoying. The most annoying is, after suffering this behaviour from people for years, when you vengefully say :

"I saw Avatar with my boyfriend ! "

They all go "Must you gays turn everything into a flag waving political statement ?"


I hate to break it to you, but pretty much ALL minorities do this. if you agree with them without being them, you "Don't understand my viewpoint". If you don't, you "Are racist/sexist/homophobic".\

I am a white, straight, financially well off male. In america's eyes, I may as well be Satan. Have you "Made things right" with your constant protesting and accusation? No, my friend, what you have done is turned the tables.


Also: Don't give me that "Payback" bullshit either.



I actually think that SaintCahier had a different point here; that for a gay man or woman to mention a significant other is often perceived as a "political statement", rather than the same kind of simple acknowledgement of a relationship it would be for a heterosexual. It makes a valid point about prejudice that even an innocent discussion of going to the movie with a significant other could be seen as having an "agenda" behind it.

I'm also a straight white male, but I get the fact that racism still exists. That a University of Chicago study a few years ago, for example, found that functionally identical resumes with "black" sounding names got dramatically fewer responses for interviews. That African-Americans seeking professional positions often doctor their resume to avoid any indication of their race, such as attendance in a predominantly black college or university. That ninety-nine out of one hundred current US Senators are white. That African Americans are disprotionately stopped and detained by police. That racial prejudice is so ingrained that subjects shown pictures of white and black faces are more likely to attribute positive qualities to the white face EVEN IF THE VIEWERS ARE AFRICAN AMERICAN THEMSELVES.

Have we made strides? Yes, of course we have. Is there still a long way to go? Absolutely. But before you cry about "reverse racism" take a more careful look at the culture and context.

Apteryx
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:41 am UTC

Re: ty]t

Postby Apteryx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:27 am UTC

Czhorat wrote:
shalbamo wrote:
SaintCahier wrote:That's not the most annoying. The most annoying is, after suffering this behaviour from people for years, when you vengefully say :

"I saw Avatar with my boyfriend ! "

They all go "Must you gays turn everything into a flag waving political statement ?"


I hate to break it to you, but pretty much ALL minorities do this. if you agree with them without being them, you "Don't understand my viewpoint". If you don't, you "Are racist/sexist/homophobic".\

I am a white, straight, financially well off male. In america's eyes, I may as well be Satan. Have you "Made things right" with your constant protesting and accusation? No, my friend, what you have done is turned the tables.


Also: Don't give me that "Payback" bullshit either.



I actually think that SaintCahier had a different point here; that for a gay man or woman to mention a significant other is often perceived as a "political statement", rather than the same kind of simple acknowledgement of a relationship it would be for a heterosexual. It makes a valid point about prejudice that even an innocent discussion of going to the movie with a significant other could be seen as having an "agenda" behind it.

I'm also a straight white male, but I get the fact that racism still exists. That a University of Chicago study a few years ago, for example, found that functionally identical resumes with "black" sounding names got dramatically fewer responses for interviews. That African-Americans seeking professional positions often doctor their resume to avoid any indication of their race, such as attendance in a predominantly black college or university. That ninety-nine out of one hundred current US Senators are white. That African Americans are disprotionately stopped and detained by police. That racial prejudice is so ingrained that subjects shown pictures of white and black faces are more likely to attribute positive qualities to the white face EVEN IF THE VIEWERS ARE AFRICAN AMERICAN THEMSELVES.

Have we made strides? Yes, of course we have. Is there still a long way to go? Absolutely. But before you cry about "reverse racism" take a more careful look at the culture and context.

What is this?. A clear, careful, thoughtful response on the internet?.

:)

Well done sir.
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.
John Adams

Okapi
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Re: ty]t

Postby Okapi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 am UTC

Apteryx wrote:
Czhorat wrote:
shalbamo wrote:
SaintCahier wrote:That's not the most annoying. The most annoying is, after suffering this behaviour from people for years, when you vengefully say :

"I saw Avatar with my boyfriend ! "

They all go "Must you gays turn everything into a flag waving political statement ?"
I hate to break it to you, but pretty much ALL minorities do this. if you agree with them without being them, you "Don't understand my viewpoint". If you don't, you "Are racist/sexist/homophobic".\

I am a white, straight, financially well off male. In america's eyes, I may as well be Satan. Have you "Made things right" with your constant protesting and accusation? No, my friend, what you have done is turned the tables.


Also: Don't give me that "Payback" bullshit either.
I actually think that SaintCahier had a different point here; that for a gay man or woman to mention a significant other is often perceived as a "political statement", rather than the same kind of simple acknowledgement of a relationship it would be for a heterosexual. It makes a valid point about prejudice that even an innocent discussion of going to the movie with a significant other could be seen as having an "agenda" behind it.

I'm also a straight white male, but I get the fact that racism still exists. That a University of Chicago study a few years ago, for example, found that functionally identical resumes with "black" sounding names got dramatically fewer responses for interviews. That African-Americans seeking professional positions often doctor their resume to avoid any indication of their race, such as attendance in a predominantly black college or university. That ninety-nine out of one hundred current US Senators are white. That African Americans are disprotionately stopped and detained by police. That racial prejudice is so ingrained that subjects shown pictures of white and black faces are more likely to attribute positive qualities to the white face EVEN IF THE VIEWERS ARE AFRICAN AMERICAN THEMSELVES.

Have we made strides? Yes, of course we have. Is there still a long way to go? Absolutely. But before you cry about "reverse racism" take a more careful look at the culture and context.
What is this?. A clear, careful, thoughtful response on the internet?.

:)

Well done sir.
No, such a thing would go like, "AAAH! Ohshitohshitohshit get me away from this thing!! Oh, this place looks nice: '4chan.' Oh, /c/ means 'cute.' Wait... WAIT... OHEFFINGBLEEDINGHELLWHATTHEHELL?!?"

Also, @Czhorat: Your "study" itself is racistly inclined. There is no such thing as African-American-sounding names. I know precisely what you are referring to; However, saying that such things are identifiable with black American culture (because naturalized citizens can't be African-American, Chinese-American, etc.; They have only one nationality) is itself very bad racial stereotyping. I know many trailer-trash white hicks with such names as Shaniqua and Dez're, and many well-composed blacks with names like Jack or Emily, or actual traditional African names, like my friend Onoriode. The fact is that people whose names are Shaniqua or Dez're clearly have retarded parents, and are therefore probably not too smart themselves, whatever their resumes say.
QED.

Apteryx
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:41 am UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Apteryx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:19 am UTC

Okapi wrote:"

Also, @Czhorat: Your "study" itself is racistly inclined. There is no such thing as African-American-sounding names. I know precisely what you are referring to; However, saying that such things are identifiable with black American culture (because naturalized citizens can't be African-American, Chinese-American, etc.; They have only one nationality) is itself very bad racial stereotyping. I know many trailer-trash white hicks with such names as Shaniqua and Dez're, and many well-composed blacks with names like Jack or Emily, or actual traditional African names, like my friend Onoriode. The fact is that people whose names are Shaniqua or Dez're clearly have retarded parents, and are therefore probably not too smart themselves, whatever their resumes say.
QED.


Sure, and I get your point. But I also get his point, (and his is MORE to the point). So did you, because you admit you know PRECISELY what he is referring to.

Here, an example. I am not an American, but I know, without him being explicit, what he was referring to when he said " That a University of Chicago study a few years ago, for example, found that functionally identical resumes with "black" sounding names got dramatically fewer responses for interviews. ".

There are probably "white" Americans called Leroy Washington. That doesn't mean it isn't a stereotypically "black" American name. If a foreigner can recognise it as such from occasional exposure to American TV, then, because as he also said "racism still exists", racists will also "recognise" the "black" name, and refuse to give an interview to someone based on their "black' sounding name. To find the fact of it in a university study, how can that finding itself be racist?.

Actually, your further point about white blokes sharing these names, is just indicative of the extreme social wrong racism is, wouldn't you think?. The racist interviewers don't care really, if the people they refuse an interview to, are white or black, their prejudice is for an abstract "That'um is a black name", and they throw the application aside, actual skin colour unknown.
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.
John Adams

lunchtime.samurai
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:02 am UTC
Location: Satellite Two

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby lunchtime.samurai » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:35 am UTC

I don't see how the word 'boyfriend' would constitute a political point. To my mind, it would mean one of three things:
a). You did not know this man had a boyfriend. He used the word to denote that he went with his boyfriend, as opposed to his sister, or his friend, or himself.
b). He is happy he is in a relationship.
c). If he said it as 'BOYFRIEND!', then he is a idiot who is boasting about the fact he is in a relationship. Just like the stepladder guy in the comic.

I really find it disturbing that such a casual statement is being interpreted by anyone as political. Perhaps shalbamo would be more happy at http://www.conservapedia.com
Last edited by lunchtime.samurai on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Scenes from the dim, dusty, back corner of Omegle:
Stranger: He's a loving, sensitive man.
You: He's a neo-nazi.
Stranger: Your point being?

(Grammar and spelling repaired for your protection)

Czhorat
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Czhorat » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:52 am UTC

lunchtime.samurai wrote:I don't see how the word 'boyfriend' would constitute a political point. To my mind, it would mean one of three things:
a). You did not know this man had a boyfriend. He used the word to denote that he went with his boyfriend, as opposed to his sister, or his friend, or himself.
b). He is happy he is in a relationship.
c). If he said it as 'BOYFRIEND!', then he is a idiot who is boasting about the fact he is in a relationship. Just like the stepladder guy in the comic.

I really find it disturbing that such a casual statement is being interpreted by anyone as political. Perhaps shalbamo would be more happy at http://www.conservapedia.org


Tell that to the US Military; a male soldier mentioning that he went to a movie with "his boyfriend" could be discharged under the Clinton-era "Don't Ask, don't tell" policy.

The sad fact is that there are some people so uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality that they see any acknowledgement of a same-sex relationship as an attack on the very moral fiber of society.

lunchtime.samurai
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:02 am UTC
Location: Satellite Two

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby lunchtime.samurai » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:03 am UTC

Czhorat wrote:
lunchtime.samurai wrote:I don't see how the word 'boyfriend' would constitute a political point. To my mind, it would mean one of three things:
a). You did not know this man had a boyfriend. He used the word to denote that he went with his boyfriend, as opposed to his sister, or his friend, or himself.
b). He is happy he is in a relationship.
c). If he said it as 'BOYFRIEND!', then he is a idiot who is boasting about the fact he is in a relationship. Just like the stepladder guy in the comic.

I really find it disturbing that such a casual statement is being interpreted by anyone as political. Perhaps shalbamo would be more happy at http://www.conservapedia.org


Tell that to the US Military; a male soldier mentioning that he went to a movie with "his boyfriend" could be discharged under the Clinton-era "Don't Ask, don't tell" policy.

The sad fact is that there are some people so uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality that they see any acknowledgement of a same-sex relationship as an attack on the very moral fiber of society.

Why do these wankers find gays in the military so objectionable? They don't apply don't know, don't tell to the civil service, or government.
Scenes from the dim, dusty, back corner of Omegle:
Stranger: He's a loving, sensitive man.
You: He's a neo-nazi.
Stranger: Your point being?

(Grammar and spelling repaired for your protection)

lunchtime.samurai
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:02 am UTC
Location: Satellite Two

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby lunchtime.samurai » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:31 am UTC

They just had on the ABC that don't know don't tell has been repealed.
Scenes from the dim, dusty, back corner of Omegle:
Stranger: He's a loving, sensitive man.
You: He's a neo-nazi.
Stranger: Your point being?

(Grammar and spelling repaired for your protection)

Czhorat
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby Czhorat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:13 pm UTC

lunchtime.samurai wrote:They just had on the ABC that don't know don't tell has been repealed.


Are you sure? The last I heard Joe Lieberman introduced a bill in the Senate to end it, but it's not happened yet.

It should, and hopefully it will soon.

lunchtime.samurai
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:02 am UTC
Location: Satellite Two

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby lunchtime.samurai » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:30 pm UTC

Czhorat wrote:
lunchtime.samurai wrote:They just had on the ABC that don't know don't tell has been repealed.


Are you sure? The last I heard Joe Lieberman introduced a bill in the Senate to end it, but it's not happened yet.

It should, and hopefully it will soon.

Oh. I actually was watching The Colbert Report, not the news or anything. I should probably say that by the ABC I mean Australian national broadcasting, not the commercial channel from the US. Also, it suddenly occured that we're a bit off-topic, so... umm.... Avatar's plot sucked, but the 3D IMAX was awesome.
Scenes from the dim, dusty, back corner of Omegle:
Stranger: He's a loving, sensitive man.
You: He's a neo-nazi.
Stranger: Your point being?

(Grammar and spelling repaired for your protection)


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, Reka and 30 guests