0690: "Semicontrolled Demolition"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CleverClothe

Re: "Semicontrolled Demolition" Discussion

Postby CleverClothe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

Elvis really did die as is the official story. However, he was secretly the first successful cloning attempt. So he technically still lives. To keep this story a secret, all the clones had cosmetic surgery to disguise themselves. A good number of the clones also had voice surgery as having all the clones sound perfect would be a dead giveaway.

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

captHij wrote:If you wait long enough you can find humor in anything. (still waiting to find humor in the Venetian's sacking of Constantinople.... )

Are you kidding? If you've seen the Palma Le Jeune painting of the event- Well, the looks on their faces!

Besides, I think there was an episode of "Seinfeld" that dealt with that.

CivilSarah

Postby CivilSarah » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

The joke is funny, not the event. The comic is about the paranoid idiots who demean the tragedy of 9-11, by inventing stupid stories about it.

I guess being unaware that there were "paranoid idiots" who "invented stupid stories" has caused this joke to fall quite flat for me. I assumed that Randall was attempting to make light of a very tough situation, when in reality he was making light of the people who make light of a very tough situation.

Still not sure I'm ok with this, but I'll let it go for now...

silverkitty

Postby silverkitty » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

Well, I believe that the truth never lies between two extremes.

Therefore you believe that the truth lies 25% between two extremes. (Wait, what?!)
Therefore you believe that the truth lies either 6.25% or 18.75% between two extremes...
Therefore you believe that... well, given enough time, you agree with me.

(Technically, an infinite amount of time, unless it takes no time for you to adjust your beliefs based on this information, in which case we can skip straight to limit. But we can get close enough to agreement in only a few dozen iterations).

----

As for the "9/11 Truthers" ridiculous conspiracy theory: The US Government of the time wanted to enact laws which would eventually be part of the patriot act, increase privatization of the military, and go to war in Iraq... but they didn't need to conspire to make 9/11 happen. They knew if they just did nothing, some kind of excuse would crop up - we have pissed a lot of people off in the last century by sticking our nose in their business. There's a reason they ignored security memos from the previous administration and that the President spent most of the first year on vacation - they were waiting for something to break, so they could apply their extreme fixes.
Last edited by silverkitty on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.DaveyJones

Postby Cpt.DaveyJones » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

"I believe the truth always lies halfway between the most extreme claims."

like between "true" and "false"?

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

CivilSarah wrote:
The joke is funny, not the event. The comic is about the paranoid idiots who demean the tragedy of 9-11, by inventing stupid stories about it.

I guess being unaware that there were "paranoid idiots" who "invented stupid stories" has caused this joke to fall quite flat for me. I assumed that Randall was attempting to make light of a very tough situation, when in reality he was making light of the people who make light of a very tough situation.

Still not sure I'm ok with this, but I'll let it go for now...

Are you one of those people who defines your whole life around 9/11? Like Glen Beck? Humour is how healthy people deal with loss. If we can't laugh about 9/11 we'll never get over it and move on.

Anyway...

It was actually Lennon who died in '66 and was replaced by a look-a-like. Chapman was right, dude was a phoney.

Micirio

Postby Micirio » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

Altourus wrote:
MrGuy wrote:
Newto wrote:Speaking of the the comic, I always found conspiracy theorist rather silly. They'd rather believe that their country is so infallible, that it's more likely that their government secretly maneuvered thousands of people to behave just right, and not tell anyone, and spend millions/billions of dollars, than it was that a handful of people got security and onto planes with box cutters. Truly, the truthers are the greatest patriots to ever live

Obligatory South Park:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103775/

Sucks to be Canadian whenever comedy central links get posted. We get redirected to comedy network and are left wondering what episode just got linked :(.

If you're using firefox, the addon "Modify Headers" could help you out. Here's an instruction; it works very well for me (Germany)
http://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/8zjv7/instructions_on_how_to_watch_thedailyshowcom/

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

Scorpio3002 wrote:The problem with Randall's theory is that there is no limit to the extremity of claims.

"The two planes were actually alien spacecrafts."

There, I just shifted where the truth lies. Soon, another poster will further demonstrate my point by coming up with an even more extreme claim.

Only half of them.

Each.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

TheChewanater wrote:Tomatos are fruits, but the green part on the top is a vegetable.

You forgot the seeds and the leaves. A spice and an herb.

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Holocaust: The holocaust did happen, but Israeli claims double the numbers.

Evolution: Men aren't descended from apes, but from a creature equally like an ape and a man.

Abortion: Life doesn't begin a birth or conception, but at the second trimester.

Everybody knows that life begins at 40!

rdm_box wrote:Scones is pronounced both ways. I propose a new spelling of sco-ones, with 'o' as in cone at the beginning and 'o' as in gone after. :lol:

Actually, that would be "scoönes".

CleverClothe wrote:Elvis really did die as is the official story. However, he was secretly the first successful cloning attempt. So he technically still lives. To keep this story a secret, all the clones had cosmetic surgery to disguise themselves. A good number of the clones also had voice surgery as having all the clones sound perfect would be a dead giveaway.

Wikey wrote:
It was actually Lennon who died in '66 and was replaced by a look-a-like. Chapman was right, dude was a phoney.

Reagan actually died when he was shot. His understudy completed his term. Seriously, I got it from a friend who knows a guy who took the White House tour one time and asked the guide who didn't actually say, but you could tell from the look on their face that "yeah - but you'd be blown away if I told you the rest of the details".
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

sog

Postby sog » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

Love your strip, but yes this is really not very funny.

blankgabriel3

Postby blankgabriel3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

Contrary to popular belief, rap is currently not a music genre anymore. Thank you for your time.

bzakharin

Postby bzakharin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
Scorpio3002 wrote:The problem with Randall's theory is that there is no limit to the extremity of claims.

"The two planes were actually alien spacecrafts."

There, I just shifted where the truth lies. Soon, another poster will further demonstrate my point by coming up with an even more extreme claim.

Only half of them.

Each.

So they were X301s?

itaibn

Postby itaibn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

Swampdonkey wrote:Do you take an arithmetic or a geometric mean when averaging craziness?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic-geometric_mean

Vaccines don't cause autism, but a person with autism is more likely to later get a vaccine.
Last edited by itaibn on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I NEVER use all-caps.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

Michael of Lucan wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote: Evolution: Men aren't descended from apes, but from a creature equally like an ape and a man.

Actually, this is substantially correct. Humans and apes have each evolved from an ancestor which was neither human nor ape. Apes are distant cousins, not our forefathers.

More technically, humans ARE apes, and we and all other apes evolves from an ancestor which was neither human nor any kind of ape still alive today, but was by definition an ape - the first ape - since "apes" are defined as that common ancestor and all its descendants.

Either way...
Quizatzhaderac wrote:Holocaust: The holocaust did happen, but Israeli claims double the numbers.

Evolution: Men aren't descended from apes, but from a creature equally like an ape and a man.

Abortion: Life doesn't begin a birth or conception, but at the second trimester.

...I get the impression that these are all supposed to be examples of plausibly reasonable compromises, since mainstream consensus does not deny the holocaust but the exact numbers aren't pinned down, men and (other) apes do descend from a creature which is equally closely related to all modern apes (including men), and the onset of the second trimester is considered significant milestone in the abortion debate, with many people OK with abortions before it but not after it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

Hey, I'd believe any of that if it would shut them up. I mean, I've always said that 9/11 was a myth.
The CBC actually did a report of 9/11 conspiracies a while back.

If any of you can read this, what about the Pentagon?
Last edited by vviipp on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Michael of Lucan wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote: Evolution: Men aren't descended from apes, but from a creature equally like an ape and a man.

Actually, this is substantially correct. Humans and apes have each evolved from an ancestor which was neither human nor ape. Apes are distant cousins, not our forefathers.

More technically, humans ARE apes, and we and all other apes evolves from an ancestor which was neither human nor any kind of ape still alive today, but was by definition an ape - the first ape - since "apes" are defined as that common ancestor and all its descendants.

Damn! You both beat me to the comment that was my first thought.

Actually, you could make a more detailed argument: Our closest relatives are the chimps/bonobos, with a common ancestor about 5 million years ago. While it's true that both (or all 3) species have evolved since then, the chimps and bonobos have basically stayed in their tropical-forest habitat, and probably haven't changed much, since they're well-adapted to that niche. Humans moved out of the forest into the grasslands and turned into upright, tool-using predators, which produced a great many modifications in us. So we aren't just descended from a previous species in the ape family; we're a highly-modified ape that's very different from the mainline forest-living species of apes. Our common ancestor with any other ape species probably looked and acted a lot more like them than like us.

But I wouldn't expect the creationist folks to understand or accept any of this.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

djscoumoune wrote:If you actually talked to a 9/11 truther about this theory he would have reminded you there were 3 WTC towers that went down on september 11, not just the twin towers but also tower 7. Now this is harder to have an halfway theory because no terrorist actually approached this tower. And thus conspiracy wins.

As wasn't tower 7 where all the records regarding the truth about Kennedy, Area 51, and the moon landings were kept?

My ex-wife was the spawn of the devil.
My ex-wife was friggin' mentally insane.

Yup, I'm sure the truth is in the middle there ... somewhere.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:
PeteThePessimist wrote:.9999 repeating is not equal to 1, it is equal to .5

No, it's a number half-way between 1 and the largest real number less than 1!

That actually demonstrates the contradiction in "largest real number less than 1" pretty nicely.

Mo-velocipede

Postby Mo-velocipede » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 pm UTC

OK, let me take a shot: There are hundreds of extremes on the evolution debate so...

Humans are apes, and our gods don't exist, but evolution didn't happen either, and we were all created by the god of the whales in six days. And the whale god created us in his father-in-law's image. Oh, and the bible was stolen from the whales and adapted by Jesus. The disciple who turned him over was doing the right thing to the forger. Man, I could keep going forever...

Ekrje

Postby Ekrje » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Based on the alt. text, I'd say 9/11 was one quarter the government's fault. The most unlikely and extreme claim would be that one tower was destroyed by terrorists while the other was destroyed by the government, independently. The second most unlikely is that the government destroyed both towers. So apparently Randall believes that the government destroyed half of one tower.

Hmmm... that probably means the terrorists had the idea, so the government let them on the plane, but the terrorists decided to take two planes instead of one. 3/4 terrorist, 1/4 government. Brilliant. I THINK I SOLVED IT.

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

Governments, planes, bombs and aliens are all on the same side of the spectrum as far as reality goes. All either exist or might exist. Consider a theory that the exact opposite of 9/11 actually happened, and the towers were erected overtly in Afghanistan by Christian fundamentalists. Or something. Then the middle ground would be that nothing happened to the towers in the first place. That's why they don't exist right now.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:17 am UTC

There only was ever one tower, the second tower was a reflection.
Darwin was right about species not being fixed, but wrong about the 'common decent of all life' thing.

(Yes, there's two statements so you can pick one and lose the other.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 am UTC

CivilSarah wrote:I guess being unaware that there were "paranoid idiots" who "invented stupid stories" has caused this joke to fall quite flat for me.

Consult Wikipedia and be enlightened.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

PeteThePessimist

Postby PeteThePessimist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am UTC

Mo-velocipede wrote:OK, let me take a shot: There are hundreds of extremes on the evolution debate so...

Humans are apes, and our gods don't exist, but evolution didn't happen either, and we were all created by the god of the whales in six days. And the whale god created us in his father-in-law's image. Oh, and the bible was stolen from the whales and adapted by Jesus. The disciple who turned him over was doing the right thing to the forger. Man, I could keep going forever...

Did you and Leonard Nimoy plot this out in a bar in 1985?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:52 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Michael of Lucan wrote:

Either way...

...I get the impression that these are all supposed to be examples of plausibly reasonable compromises, since mainstream consensus does not deny the holocaust but the exact numbers aren't pinned down, men and (other) apes do descend from a creature which is equally closely related to all modern apes (including men), and the onset of the second trimester is considered significant milestone in the abortion debate, with many people OK with abortions before it but not after it.

I choose these because they are all real compromises people made.

Evolution because the comprise between the lay concepts of evolution and creationism actually is actually closer to scientific definition of evolution.

The holocaust because Iran recently conducted an investigation which found that the holocaust did happen, but they still don't like Israel.

Abortion because that's what the US supreme court decided.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

PeteThePessimist

Postby PeteThePessimist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 am UTC

ALSO: The aliens in Roswell were time travelling, but they screwed up their co-ordinates and ended up in New Mexico in 1947. Realizing their mistake, they immediately time-travel again. This time, they reach their correct destination: 1963 Dallas, Texas where they attempt to save JFK from the two and a half men on the grassy knolls by teleporting the president out of harm's way milliseconds before the alleged bullet entered his skull, and then teleporting him back. Unfortunately,the same alien who royally fucked up the time travelling also royally fucked up the teleportation and ended up teleporting out a small portion of JFK's skull and skull-paste, and then teleporting in the said head-parts. Realizing their mistake, they tried to teleport Jackie Kennedy onto their ship, and explain the situation. Same fuck up, they teleport a smaller portion of Governor Connally's head and James Tague's cheek out and in, wounding them. Finally the other aliens aboard the ship kick the waste of silicon-based-flesh out of his seat and succeed in teleporting Jackie Kennedy on board, inform her of the situation, and instruct her to retreive the bits of JFK's head that ended up on the end of the motorcade (inorder to deform them; they had very clean edges) and to protect Connally. Furious at the screw-up teleporter/time-travel technician, the other aliens aboard turned him into a human baby (See: Doctor Who, Human Nature), wiped his memory, and placed him in the year 1939. The man/alien grew to live a relatively normal life, but with strange flashes of memory of his former life (See: Doctor Who, Family of Blood). In mid-November of 1963, he regained his memory completely, purchased a 6.5 millimeter Italian carbine with a four-power scope in an attempt to shoot down his old spaceship in revenge. The alien, known as Lee Harvey Oswald, was later blamed for the 'assassination' and shot while being taken to Dallas County Jail, where he was to attempt to tell his story.

Really though, it's just so clear. I'm sure that you guys can fill in the rest yourselves.

zjxs

Postby zjxs » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:25 am UTC

"I believe the truth always lies halfway between the most extreme claims."

I believe this fallacy is known as Occam's Shaving Foam. Usually applied to climate change in this form: scientists say changes will be severe, others say nothing is happening, so therefore changes will happen but they won't be severe. Right?

Mo-velocipede

Postby Mo-velocipede » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:35 am UTC

PeteThePessimist wrote:
Mo-velocipede wrote:OK, let me take a shot: There are hundreds of extremes on the evolution debate so...

Well... I wasn't alive back in '85, and I'm not sure who Leonard Nimoy is (wait, he's the guy who played Spock, right? Wikipedia says I'm correct...) so the answer's probably no, but maybe time travel was involved...

troacctid

Postby troacctid » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:35 am UTC

zjxs wrote:"I believe the truth always lies halfway between the most extreme claims."

I believe this fallacy is known as Occam's Shaving Foam. Usually applied to climate change in this form: scientists say changes will be severe, others say nothing is happening, so therefore changes will happen but they won't be severe. Right?

I would interpret it as "Climate change is not happening, but there will be severe changes anyway."

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:37 am UTC

zjxs wrote:I believe this fallacy is known as Occam's Shaving Foam.

Yes, but some people say it should be called Occam's Pumpernickel. I suggest we compromise with a shaving foam-pumpernickel sandwich.
~ You will eat a tasty fortune cookie. Oh look, it came true already! ~

kg08854

Postby kg08854 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:21 am UTC

In poor taste. I have read every xkcd, and have never felt that any had crossed 'the line' but todays was not funny and was a bad idea. There are many awful people in the world who will take this out of context and it was stupid to write it.

Please go back to writing good funny stuff. Politics are ok, but think .

I find 9/11 very upsetting - I cherish a picture of myself and my family that we took at the top of the towers during happier times....

This strip was inexcusable...

nazlfrag

Postby nazlfrag » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:46 am UTC

They removed goto from programming languages in order to slow down software and create an artificial need for faster computers.

TrojanMonky

Postby TrojanMonky » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:56 am UTC

Humans evolved from monkeys that were created in the image of god.
I think therefore I speak

Scorpio3002

Postby Scorpio3002 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:50 am UTC

Greedo shot himself.

Poorly.

drewster1829

Postby drewster1829 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:28 am UTC

Cpt.DaveyJones wrote:"I believe the truth always lies halfway between the most extreme claims."

like between "true" and "false"?

Sure, if you avoid the Law of Excluded Middle.

XbHW_TestEngr wrote:
djscoumoune wrote:If you actually talked to a 9/11 truther about this theory he would have reminded you there were 3 WTC towers that went down on september 11, not just the twin towers but also tower 7. Now this is harder to have an halfway theory because no terrorist actually approached this tower. And thus conspiracy wins.

As wasn't tower 7 where all the records regarding the truth about Kennedy, Area 51, and the moon landings were kept?

No, just the recrods of some open SEC cases that had no backups due to dislosure rules or something, including WorldCom (and others, I can't remember at the moment).

Don't forget about the insider trading on United Airlines and American Airlines...funny how the investigations never turned up who did it.

As for the conspiracy theorists....of course it was a conspiracy! Someone conspired to take down the towers, right? It wasn't an "accident" or Act of God. It's just that the Truthers think it was different people than what Mainstreamers (for lack of a better stereotypical label) think.

As far as the "alternative" conspiracy theories themselves, many are rather implausible...but then, so is the "official story." I don't claim to know what happened that day, but I certainly know that it's unlikely that some very poor pilots (remember Hani Hanjour and his inability to fly a Cessna 172 straight and level?) with limited training managed to hit 3 of their four alleged targets flying Boeing 757s and 767s at over 400 mph. Not impossible, of course, but very implausible, especially with no F-16 intercept on any of the four flights, especially Flight 11, the one who penetrated the most heavily guarded airspace on Earth and managed to make a steep descending turn without ripping the wings off or stalling and hit the wing of the Pentagon that luckily was under construction (and thus had no terribly high ranking military people in it). This is merely the tip of the iceberg that includes the discrepency between the FAA and NORAD timelines that still haven't been resolved, the war games that were going on that day which managed to confuse air traffic controllers and the military alike (as well as conveniently diverting F-16s to Northern Canada to simulate a Russian polar attack), the asbestos in the towers that would've cost $1 billion to remove and prevented conventional demolition due to the dust, etc etc.

I'm not going to claim an alternative theory, so though one can call me a "conspiracy theorist" for not believing the story heard on the news, I like to think of myself as a "9/11 Official Story Skeptic (TM)."

Or, a jackass, if you prefer. :D

kg08854 wrote:In poor taste. I have read every xkcd, and have never felt that any had crossed 'the line' but todays was not funny and was a bad idea. There are many awful people in the world who will take this out of context and it was stupid to write it.

I find 9/11 very upsetting - I cherish a picture of myself and my family that we took at the top of the towers during happier times....

We live in a country that allows the freedom of speech, so you have every right to your opinion, but so does Randall. I would recommend not reading things that offend you if easily offended, including my post, which probably also offends many people who believe what they heard on the news that day. I disagree with it being stupid to write it, though, because even though it pokes fun at conspiracy theorists (as many here will call me 8) ), I still find it highly amusing.

silverkitty wrote:As for the "9/11 Truthers" ridiculous conspiracy theory: The US Government of the time wanted to enact laws which would eventually be part of the patriot act, increase privatization of the military, and go to war in Iraq... but they didn't need to conspire to make 9/11 happen. They knew if they just did nothing, some kind of excuse would crop up - we have pissed a lot of people off in the last century by sticking our nose in their business. There's a reason they ignored security memos from the previous administration and that the President spent most of the first year on vacation - they were waiting for something to break, so they could apply their extreme fixes.

What! You mean there's just One conspiracy theory the Truthers have? I thought there were lots! Including, but not limited to, the thermite theory, the no planes theory, the transfer passngers to other planes and shoot those ones down over the ocean then crash the original ones loaded with extra fuel/explosive theory, the remote control planes theory, etc etc.

Though Truther is a self-applied label to most 9/11 "conspiracy theorists," it reminds me a bit of "Global Warming Deniers" and hence their "Denialism." Apparently there's no such thing as a Global Warming Skeptic or 9/11 Skeptic. Maybe because that's too broad...I'm not skeptical that 9/11 happened, I'm just skeptical about how it happened (same with global warming skeptics...they might not be denying the Earth is getting warming, just that humans have any significant effect).

[/rant]
"Distrust your judgment the moment you can discern the shadow of a personal motive in it."
-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

PeteThePessimist

Postby PeteThePessimist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:53 am UTC

Mo-velocipede wrote:
PeteThePessimist wrote:

Well... I wasn't alive back in '85, and I'm not sure who Leonard Nimoy is (wait, he's the guy who played Spock, right? Wikipedia says I'm correct...) so the answer's probably no, but maybe time travel was involved...

The plot of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, which was written and directed by Nimoy, has a plot which hinges about stealing whales FOR THE FUTURE. (It also came out in 1986. THANKS, WIKIPEDIA!)

Lewton

Postby Lewton » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:32 pm UTC

kg08854 wrote:In poor taste. I have read every xkcd, and have never felt that any had crossed 'the line' but todays was not funny and was a bad idea. There are many awful people in the world who will take this out of context and it was stupid to write it.

I find your reaction highly offensive.
The fact that you're trying to shame monroe into censoring himself because you are incapable of lightening the fuck up

usernamesstink

Postby usernamesstink » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 pm UTC

too soon!

FCN

Postby FCN » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

Jesus Christ was the son of God, but other than that he was just a regular guy. He took after his mother, really.
Spoiler:
LuNatic wrote:
Dear FCN,
You are:
a) Terrible, but in an awesome way.
or
b) Awesome, but in a terrible way.
I'm having difficulty deciding which.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Sorry to this, but this WAS funny. You see, the joke is not about thousands of people dying, that would indeed be poor taste, the joke is about the conspiracy theorists and their varying grades of absurd theories about what happened.

I sincerely hope that Randall will not refrain from this type of comic.

Ohh, and the argument that "many people will take this out of context" is ridiculous, it shouldn't be necessary for people to refrain from certain jokes, simply because a number of people wont get what the joke is about.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”