0691: "MicroSD"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0691: "MicroSD"

Postby miles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:04 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/691/

Title text: "That card holds a refrigerator carton's worth of floppy discs, and a soda can full of those cards could hold the entire iTunes store's music library. Mmmm."

^oi alty texty now
I've only had one SD card which was a 128mb, same like I only have a 512mb flash drive, who actually needs more??
Last edited by miles on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
miles

Re: "MicroSD" Discussion

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:05 am UTC

The title text isn't "MicroSD"; that's the alt text. For some reason, there is no title text on this one.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby chocolate.razorblades » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:05 am UTC

Is there no mouseover?!

Here we go. :)
Last edited by chocolate.razorblades on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
chocolate.razorblades

Re: "" Discussion

Postby Shale » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:05 am UTC

The first time I picked up a MicroSD card it freaked me out for exactly that reason. It's smaller than my pinky fingernail, and yet it holds more data than my first three computers put together. That's just freaky.
Shale

Postby Superuser » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 am UTC

Nice. I like this one.

But I don't understand, why wouldn't he want to help find it.... lol, jk :oops: :roll:
Last edited by Superuser on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Superuser

Postby Ghona » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 am UTC

There is a title text; it's just too small to be seen.
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.
Ghona

Postby hbsmiley7 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 am UTC

No title text!? Hurry, run for the hills!
hbsmiley7

Postby Ichapp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 am UTC

It's there, I just checked it in Chrome, because FF wouldn't give it to me.
Beasts move. Men reflect. Gods make real.
Ichapp

Postby Qaanol » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Title text now reads "That card holds a refrigerator carton's worth of floppy discs, and a soda can full of those cards could hold the entire iTunes store's music library. Mmmm."
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Re: "" Discussion

Postby chocolate.razorblades » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:08 am UTC

Shale wrote:The first time I picked up a MicroSD card it freaked me out for exactly that reason. It's smaller than my pinky fingernail, and yet it holds more data than my first three computers put together. That's just freaky.

Haha yes, we now laugh at this comic for being true, but in a few years we will laugh for it being outdated. :P
chocolate.razorblades

Postby Lunar Savage » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:08 am UTC

Most freaky indeed. A miracle packed into such a small thing. It's amazing.

.....................................or the Devil's work. Either way.

Also, woot! Earliest I've been into a thread! :)
*Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb.
Lunar Savage

Postby Plamo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:09 am UTC

Title text, for those who can't get it: "That card holds a refrigerator carton's worth of floppy discs, and a soda can full of those cards could hold the entire iTunes store's music library. Mmmm."

A carton's worth is maybe, 100 of the things, but that's pushing it, I think. I hope itunes has more than 1600 gb of music, that amount seems small to me.
Uselessnesses... what a silly word.
Plamo

Postby Omegaton » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:09 am UTC

Storing a library's worth of material on something smaller than a dime? I am a god.
Omegaton

Postby A. Smith » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 am UTC

I had to check it in...

Internet explorer...

*shudder*

Anyhow, yeah, the storage capacity of modern electronics is absolutely stunning.
A. Smith

Postby Munzapoppa » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:12 am UTC

What seems crazy to me about memory cards is how cheap they are getting. I remember a couple years ago, a 4GB SD card was about $50-$60. Now, you can get that same card for probably less than $20. Depends where you buy it, of course. This is what I've seen for places like Best Buy and Amazon.
Munzapoppa

Postby capncanuck » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:13 am UTC

Ichapp wrote:It's there, I just checked it in Chrome, because FF wouldn't give it to me.

stop being a browservangalist
You just refreshed at the right time, it didnt appear initially
capncanuck

Postby tangofox » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:19 am UTC

Munzapoppa wrote:What seems crazy to me about memory cards is how cheap they are getting. I remember a couple years ago, a 4GB SD card was about $50-$60. Now, you can get that same card for probably less than $20. Depends where you buy it, of course. This is what I've seen for places like Best Buy and Amazon.

I remember the first time I had saw the Sony memory sticks about 5 years ago. I think a 128 MB one was about that price. Does that mean that these things are moving faster than Moore's Law? I wonder if we'll have affordable 4 TB SD cards in 2020.
tangofox

Postby Ichapp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:26 am UTC

capncanuck wrote:stop being a browservangalist
You just refreshed at the right time, it didnt appear initially

Could be. I didn't really mean anything by it. In all fairness I did refresh the page in FF and the alt text was there (hurrah!).
Beasts move. Men reflect. Gods make real.
Ichapp

Postby brinhe » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:28 am UTC

Okay, time to be the first - "I registered just to post on this thread" - except, contrary to the norm, I have no particular reason.

I got tired of looking at these and not having the capacity to post. So now I do.

On topic:
I wonder where my flash drive is...
brinhe

Postby VHBT » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:29 am UTC

Plamo wrote:Title text, for those who can't get it: "That card holds a refrigerator carton's worth of floppy discs, and a soda can full of those cards could hold the entire iTunes store's music library. Mmmm."

A carton's worth is maybe, 100 of the things, but that's pushing it, I think. I hope itunes has more than 1600 gb of music, that amount seems small to me.

Based on figures found on Wikipedia and an estimate of 1mm thickness, I estimate that 2150 or so could fit in a 355 mL soda can. That is, of course, assuming they were ground up/liquefied so that packing wasn't a problem.

Even if you wanted them intact, you could still fit 2000 in there. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether the iTunes music store has more than 32000 GB worth of songs.
VHBT

Postby Comic JK » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 am UTC

Any smaller and they'll have to build them into our thumbs so we won't lose them.

Or directly into our heads, if we could get some sort of interface...
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.
Comic JK

Postby scottyb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 am UTC

To this day my favorite geek quote is from Johnny Mnemonic: "I can carry nearly 80 gigs of data in my head." Although I guess he could have stored more if he put MicroSD cards under all of his fingernails. :roll:
scottyb

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:36 am UTC

Terry Pratchett said that information generates its own gravity, and compared libraries to black holes in the sense that a reader who wanders in might be unable to ever leave (in which case tvtropes could hold an accretion disk the size of the milky way).

MicroSD? More like MicroSingularityDevice, right? :P
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Arancaytar

Postby BlueNight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:45 am UTC

While I was in school in 1997, I predicted that computers would be a thousand times better in ten years. Specifically, I extrapolated from the 16Mhz processors, the 4Mb of RAM, the 120Mb hard drives, and the 1.44Mb floppy drives.

Today, 2Gb thumb drives are less than $10, 4Gb of RAM is the default, and so are 120Gb hard drives. Consumer storage capacity has outpaced processor speed by approximately an order of magnitude, but 1.6Ghz CPUs are now considered low-end.

I shudder to think of ten years from now.
---------
BlueNight
BlueNight

Postby ballos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:55 am UTC

16gb micro sds are pretty useful for music.
ballos

Postby crazy_ninja » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:00 am UTC

I feel as though fitting the entire iTunes catalog inside a soda/pop/coke can is indicative of the need to increase the quality of the sound files they store... We have space now :lol:
crazy_ninja

Postby helo darqness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 am UTC

In 2004 or so, I got a 256 MB SD card, and went, WOAH, IT HOLDS SO MUCH SPACE!

About a year or two ago I got a 2 GB MicroSD and crapped myself.

Ill wait till the 1 TB NanoSD comes out...
helo darqness

Postby Affableprechaun » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:10 am UTC

VHBT wrote:
Plamo wrote:Title text, for those who can't get it: "That card holds a refrigerator carton's worth of floppy discs, and a soda can full of those cards could hold the entire iTunes store's music library. Mmmm."

Based on figures found on Wikipedia and an estimate of 1mm thickness, I estimate that 2150 or so could fit in a 355 mL soda can. That is, of course, assuming they were ground up/liquefied so that packing wasn't a problem.

Even if you wanted them intact, you could still fit 2000 in there. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether the iTunes music store has more than 32000 GB worth of songs.

Why 32000GB? The comic doesn't specify size at all. (EDIT: Except it does. But I'm an idiot. Doesn't change the rest of this though.) 32GB Micro SD cards are around now but not exactly common yet (or even commercially available?)... but I have 2, so... no matter, I will do both sizes. And so 2000 with 32GB cards would bring us to 64000GB, which offers a much better chance of fitting the iTunes library in.

On that note, how much music does the iTunes library hold? Well, I don't think there is a number floating around, but we could ballpark it (in my case, probably poorly). So, as best I can find, the most recent numbers advertise "over 10 million songs" which is also the same number Wikipedia presently has to iTunes, so I feel pretty safe with that.

Obviously the next step is more complicated. Songs will vary massively in size. We would have to just take a stab in the dark at an average figure. Now I don't download much from iTunes, I use other services, so perhaps their files are larger (I'm sure many of you could write on that with authority) but when I download a CD with 15 songs it normally comes around 75MB (even with the other stuff, like album art). Which would give 5mb per song. Looking at the songs in my iTunes library in total, I come to about 5.77MB per song. So to be safe with a high estimate we could say 6MB per song. Which would make it 60000000MB. Which comes to what, 58593.75GB?

Which means 2000 32GB Micro SD cards would be able to fit the iTunes Library, with more than 5000GB to spare.

And obviously, based on the 2000 estimate which seemed fair enough, while the comic's 16GB cards would not be enough.

Which is damn amazing. All the music on iTunes... in a sode can... yikes.
Last edited by Affableprechaun on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:54 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Affableprechaun

Postby wakingrufus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:14 am UTC

I was just having this same discussion with a coworker after i came across a 16GB microSD. I guess its my turn to yell "Get out of my head, Randall!"
wakingrufus

Postby TheDarkNerd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:16 am UTC

To think, we may very well reach an age where storage capacities allow you to store every piece of data that could define you for who you are, a video diary of your day-to-day existence from birth, any creative work you've ever made, all onto one tiny device.

. . . and then you accidentally inhale it.
TheDarkNerd

Postby baltakatei » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:20 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Terry Pratchett said that information generates its own gravity, and compared libraries to black holes in the sense that a reader who wanders in might be unable to ever leave (in which case tvtropes could hold an accretion disk the size of the milky way).

MicroSD? More like MicroSingularityDevice, right? :P

From the T. Pratchett Wiki:

"The Unseen Library is the most famously magical of the Unseen buildings. However, it should be noted that the fact that it houses books is the main reason that it is magical and dangerous. The additional fact that some of the books are about magic spells, written by wizards, is only a small enhancement of the magical dangers of the Library. Books contain knowledge, and knowledge equals power, which according to the laws of physics can be converted to energy and matter, so the Library contains an extremely large mass that can distort time and space. That is the natural philosophy mumbo-jumbo explanation on the dangers of the Library...."

I've always liked the idea that there is some relationship between mass, energy, and raw information. We have the relationship between the first two (E = mc^2). But what is the equation relating the second and third?
baltakatei

Postby dennisw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:49 am UTC

Compare a 16GB MicroSD card at very roughly 107MB/mm^3 to an early-80's FH 5.25" 10MB hard drive at about 4B/mm^3 (yes, you read that right - "B" - no "K", no "M", no "G" - just "B" as in "Bytes"). What's that - 26.75 million times as dense?
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!
dennisw

Postby Jedifreak » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:51 am UTC

I am in awe.

I also feel slightly dirty...
http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Jedifreak
http://www.geist-panik.com
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

Jedifreak

Postby pgn674 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:52 am UTC

The library at my university does that to me. It is quite rectangular in shape, so whenever I walk by it, I think of it as being a massive block of knowledge. Sometimes I wander through the half-floor sections, randomly opening encyclopaedic tomes of journal archives, rulings from some small forgotten court in Europe 75 years ago, and standard agencies' descriptions of how to properly drain pulp when making paper.

I don't think microstorage would do the same thing to me, even if it had all the same information in a can.
pgn674

Postby Kyrn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 am UTC

I don't see why it has to be micro-storage though. Why can't we just have an average credit-card sized chip (so it can be easily packed into wallets) which holds all that data, only larger to reflect the increased mass, and hence storage capacity? Why make something so small we'd just lose them?

Or inversely, imagine a library filled with micro-SD cards. Would it be enough to store the entire internet? (not joking)

[EDIT] Or if not, how long would it take before it gets feasible, considering that storage is improving at an exponential rate, while I do not think the internet develops at such a pace (might be wrong though) [/EDIT]
Last edited by Kyrn on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.
Kyrn

Postby westrim » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:06 am UTC

I like to occasionally look around my hard drive with no particular file in mind and just look at the sheer amount of data at my disposal, and marvel that it's almost full. It's a 1TB drive WD, and I got it in June 2008 for $170, 30 bucks off. It looks like the godamn monolith from 2001, mixed with a Cylon eye scanning back and forth, back and forth...

Ahem. Anyway, last Black Friday I got my dad the same (but "upgraded"; it looks even more 2001 monolithy, but the only connector is usb, not the eSATA and Firewire mine has) model for $60, 30 bucks off. Oh, and it's half the size. I shudder to think what Moore's law (expanded version) might lead to even 10 years from now.

Oh, and I can relate to the allure of libraries thing. I'm actually considering becoming a librarian- first option is a Historian.

miles wrote:I've only had one SD card which was a 128mb, same like I only have a 512mb flash drive, who actually needs more??

Anyone taking pictures? I took 6 2 gig SD cards with me to the Galapagos and generally filled 3 a day (brought a laptop too). And my 4 gig flash drive came in handy when my hard drive fried and it had the only copy left of many of my files. What are you doing that you don't find extra space useful? Writing Word documents?

chocolate.razorblades wrote:
Shale wrote:The first time I picked up a MicroSD card it freaked me out for exactly that reason. It's smaller than my pinky fingernail, and yet it holds more data than my first three computers put together. That's just freaky.

Haha yes, we now laugh at this comic for being true, but in a few years we will laugh for it being outdated. :P

Oh man, I was talking with someone the other day about how lame it was when we had to use floppies because the school computers wouldn't read flash drives, and my dad got kind of sad and told us how excited he was when 3 1/2 floppies came out...

A. Smith wrote:I had to check it in...
Internet explorer...
*shudder*

A big Darth Vader no for you, sir

capncanuck wrote: browservangalist

I do believe you have invented a new word. Congratulations!
"This is the word according to Google. Thanks be to Google!"
+5 to those who recognize the denomination.

brinhe wrote:On topic:
I wonder where my flash drive is...

I've lost at least 4 over the years. Most were empty or nearly so at the time, but one... erm, had "stuff" on it.

Comic JK wrote:Any smaller and they'll have to build them into our thumbs so we won't lose them.
Or directly into our heads, if we could get some sort of interface...

I remember that Doctor Who episode!

scottyb wrote:To this day my favorite geek quote is from Johnny Mnemonic: "I can carry nearly 80 gigs of data in my head." Although I guess he could have stored more if he put MicroSD cards under all of his fingernails. :roll:

160 with a doubler, don't forget.

ijuin wrote:The MicroSD card is very close to the minimum physical size for a data medium that can be manipulated by human hands without damaging it or losing it when dropped onto the floor. I expect that we will only see physically smaller memory devices as permanently-attached components of a device.

Well, sure. The idea isn't to decrease the size of the card any further, it's to increase the amount of data that card can store.
Last edited by westrim on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
westrim

Postby Qaanol » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:19 am UTC

Affableprechaun wrote:Why 32000GB? The comic doesn't specify size at all.

The card in the comic is 16GB.
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Postby ijuin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:27 am UTC

The MicroSD card is very close to the minimum physical size for a data medium that can be manipulated by human hands without damaging it or losing it when dropped onto the floor. I expect that we will only see physically smaller memory devices as permanently-attached components of a device.
ijuin

Postby ThemePark » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 am UTC

miles wrote:http://xkcd.com/691/

Title text: "That card holds a refrigerator carton's worth of floppy discs, and a soda can full of those cards could hold the entire iTunes store's music library. Mmmm."

^oi alty texty now
I've only had one SD card which was a 128mb, same like I only have a 512mb flash drive, who actually needs more??

I have a 1 TB external harddrive, 640 GB external harddrive, a 320 GB flash drive, a 160 GB harddrive in my netbook, a 80 GB harddrive in my laptop, and a 300 GB harddrive that I will use once I built myself a decent stationary computer. I'd wager that about half, maybe more, of that is filled up with data,..

TheDarkNerd wrote:To think, we may very well reach an age where storage capacities allow you to store every piece of data that could define you for who you are, a video diary of your day-to-day existence from birth, any creative work you've ever made, all onto one tiny device.

. . . and then you accidentally inhale it.

It won't be that long until we reach that point...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/ ... mory_x.htm
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... gate_brain

This is more interesting though, and much farther into the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exabyte#.2 ... _spoken.22

crazy_ninja wrote:I feel as though fitting the entire iTunes catalog inside a soda/pop/coke can is indicative of the need to increase the quality of the sound files they store... We have space now :lol:

Aye. I'm perfectly satisfied with the quality of MP3 files, but given that space is not a problem, it would be nice to have a perfect quality file format. Maybe a lossless one at that.

westrim wrote:Oh man, I was talking with someone the other day about how lame it was when we had to use floppies because the school computers wouldn't read flash drives, and my dad got kind of sad and told us how excited he was when 3 1/2 floppies came out...

I can totally relate to that although I'm a bit younger than that. But I love floppies and still have quite a few of them in my desk, most of them being original disks of oldschool games.
Last edited by ThemePark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3
ThemePark

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:37 am UTC

The actual chip inside is much smaller.
The packaging is there so you don't crush it.

... and to hold other electronics (so the gov't can spy on you).
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....
XbHW_TestEngr

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads