0700: "Complexion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

VectorZero

Re: "Complexion" Discussion

Postby VectorZero » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:50 am UTC

I laughed heartily.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:16 am UTC

It has been long since munroe revealed some facial features in his character.

Too bad the two face reference is obscure to me. Their faces are hilarious though, with those red dots.

MuToiD_MaN

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 am UTC

I think there's a Wesley Willis song in here somewhere. "Batman Whupped My Ass" perhaps.
ĉiam veti sur Duke

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:19 am UTC

Batman is clearly punching because he wants double blind experiments and not because he has any association with coin tossing.

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 am UTC

Nihiltres wrote:
LuNatic wrote:Well, that was random.

Is it? What if the coin was weighted one way or another?

For a truly random chance, you'd have to make at very least two coin tosses, making pairs of tosses until the tosses came out different. If toss 1 is heads and toss 2 tails, count heads (and vice versa). This will even out any non-random coin tossing in case your coin is biased. Of course, you have to be able to distinguish between the two sides: no double-headed or -tailed coins! :)

I think what you meant to say is "for a truly unbiased chance". Randomness and bias are different from each other. Just because a coin might have a bias doesn't mean that it would cease being random. Although this hinges on you buying that flipping a coin is random in the first place...

Also on a note related to the comic... I didn't understand it until I read the thread but I thought it was awesome that batman showed up to punch him in the face. Take that!
double epsilon = -.0000001;

HeartOfFocus

Postby HeartOfFocus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:56 am UTC

ahhahhahhahh. I guffawed out loud. it's been a while since that happened. thank you, Randall.

In other news, I'm disappointed in how few forum members caught the two-face reference.

jacog

Postby jacog » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:35 am UTC

HeartOfFocus wrote:ahhahhahhahh. I guffawed out loud. it's been a while since that happened. thank you, Randall.

In other news, I'm disappointed in how few forum members caught the two-face reference.

It's likely because it started off sounding like a science joke, not a pop-culture joke. I got it too, but then, I am halfway through playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, so I'm "in the zone" so to speak.

xkcd peeps are more likely to get the science jokes I think:

[ comic here ]

xkcd'er: "Hahaha, the old Guffman-Horowitz inverse-kinetic inertia quotient theory."

me: "Teh wutlol?"
Last edited by jacog on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ringshadow

Postby Ringshadow » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:37 am UTC

As a 26 year old who is still in a brutal battle with acne, wow, do I relate to this. I seem to be violently allergic to almost all facial cleansers, wipes, and treatments. I actually recently bought an expensive bottle of Olay something or other and two days later I had acne a teenager could have envied.

On the other hand, I have now completely dropped soap on my face beyond my morning shower. In the evening, I use the oil cleansing method. Somehow by using a combination of olive oil and castor oil on my face, my skin has vastly improved. If you have seriously sensitive skin, try it guys. Seriously.

justinmiller

Postby justinmiller » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:35 am UTC

It's funny, and I'm sure it's just a complete coincidence, but a couple days ago a Youtube User "sxephil" used a joke like this on his Youtube Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxRovPdfFHU

"I broke out on one side of my face. I guess I got a little stressed... I look like an acne Harvey Dent."

So yeah, given that it only took me a few seconds to get the joke.

acd

Postby acd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:50 am UTC

vary good one.

I think Randall is having a serie of very good strips, recently

stavr0

Postby stavr0 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

*SOCK*

Good one.

*BIFF*

But Batman's punch seems oddly silent.

*THUDDD*

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

This RULES.

One of the best comics in recent memory.

And just for laughs, I'll throw out that the 700th comic will be Friday, because there was no comic 404 and that means....
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

guayec

Postby guayec » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

im sure children birthday parties are a problem too.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:46 pm UTC

I didn't get trhe Batman reference until I started reading the threads. Randall, your a bit off today.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

I was laughing but only until the last panel, because:

1. I DO THIS! I'm not sure it's really a good trial, though, because I probably sleep more on one side of my face than the other, lean my face on my hand on one side more than the other, etc, etc.

2. I haven't kept up with Batman since the Adam West series stopped airing in the UK in about 1990 or so.

Still, it means Randall isn't in my head today which can only be a good thing for both of us.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

It took me a second, but I got it pretty quickly. I watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight just last week though, so Harvey Dent is fresh in my mind.

Remind me never to flip a coin in Gotham...
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

deiden26

Postby deiden26 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

I got it right away and laughed out loud. Great Comic, the punchline is just so perfect.

jlane628

Postby jlane628 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

I've been reading for a while, but never taken the time to register. This one was hilarious. I caught the two face reference with the coin flip, but didn't even notice the acne-two-face until i started checking the forum. That just made it even better. Also, I love the style of Batman. I would read that comic when Randall does the next Batman gritty reboot. Also, I've wanted to say this for a while:

Randall…get out of my head.

Plesiosaur

Postby Plesiosaur » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

If you don't want to get acne, then wash your pillowcase twice a week. Toss it in with your whites when you do the laundry, and use plenty of bleach. If your pillowcase is a dark color (meaning you can't throw it in with your whites), then go buy a couple of white pillowcases, they're cheap and you can afford them no matter how poor you are.

Bi-weekly cleaning of my pillowcases has worked better than any cream or cleanser for me, I started doing it three years ago; my acne disappeared entirely after a couple of weeks and it has not come back since.

Think about it - when you go to sleep, all the dirt & oils from your face and hair are getting soaked up by your pillowcase; and then when you go to bed the next night, you're pressing your face right up against all that stuff which is soaked into the pillowcase. If you go an entire week without cleaning your pillowcase, then think about it - that's seven days worth of nasty skin oil & dirt that's getting mushed right back into your face all night while you sleep.

If you can't wash your pillowcase because you don't use use a pillowcase, then that's friggin' disgusting and it's no wonder your face is so nasty. Go buy a new pillow AND a couple of pillowcases to go with it.

It does not matter how well you clean your face/hair before you go to bed - you're still soaking a bunch of your skin oils into that pillowcase. Clean it twice a week and you will not have acne. I guarantee it.

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

Come on, guys. Dark Knight. I am severely disappointed at the number of people who don't get it.
Your assignment for tonight is to rent Dark Knight and watch it thrice at the very least. Until then, those of you who don't get it have earned a failing grade.
picnic time!

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:03 pm UTC

picnic_crossfire wrote:Come on, guys. Dark Knight. I am severely disappointed at the number of people who don't get it.
Your assignment for tonight is to rent Dark Knight and watch it thrice at the very least. Until then, those of you who don't get it have earned a failing grade.

Or, you know, just Batman in general.

For a forum full of nerds, it's truly mind-blowing how many people didn't get it.
I got it instantly and I haven't seen anything Batman-related in years.

Cal27

Postby Cal27 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

Randall, get out of my head! I had a dream about Batman last night!

Great comic, didn't see it coming at all.

emertonom

Postby emertonom » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

What worked best for me was megadoses of vitamin A. It has to be molecular vitamin A, not just beta carotene, because the body won't convert more than it needs, and it's possible to do yourself some harm with too much, so check with your doctor for safety. The commercial drug Accutane is just an analog of vitamin A, and true vitamin A has fewer side effects. It just takes a really high dose to stop acne. I don't have the bottles with me anymore, but I think I took 300000 IU per day. (I know it was 12 pills of the highest dose pure A I could find.) It worked pretty remarkably well.

Nihiltres

Postby Nihiltres » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Nihiltres wrote:For a truly random chance, you'd have to make at very least two coin tosses, making pairs of tosses until the tosses came out different. If toss 1 is heads and toss 2 tails, count heads (and vice versa). This will even out any non-random coin tossing in case your coin is biased. Of course, you have to be able to distinguish between the two sides: no double-headed or -tailed coins! :)

Dason wrote:I think what you meant to say is "for a truly unbiased chance". Randomness and bias are different from each other. Just because a coin might have a bias doesn't mean that it would cease being random. Although this hinges on you buying that flipping a coin is random in the first place...

Yes, of course I mean "unbiased chance". I was referring to the concept of a fair coin and wasn't being terribly semantically clean (so I need semantic soap? :P ). Pardon my colloquialism.

Spoiler:
Interestingly, I see that that Wikipedia page for "Fair coin" lists the same solution for getting a fair result from an unfair coin. I hadn't heard of Neumann before. :shock:

I suppose the point that randomness ≠ unbiasedness puts a certain amount of question into Two-Face's method, since it would be relatively easy for him to choose either murder or mercy by choosing a coin that was hideously biased one way or another.

mootinator

Postby mootinator » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

Hmm, I've been rationing a bottle of BenzaClin despite my inclination to not generally abuse antibiotics. This comic has inspired me to determine whether benzoyl peroxide can zap my face without the clindamycin thrown in.

astendra

Postby astendra » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Isotretinoin > acne.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

Am I imagining things or did the pimples turn red when I wasn't looking. I could have sworn they were black the first time I read this.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

The science of acne. Love it.
Batman / Two Face reference. Really love it.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

drow

Postby drow » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

shouldn't there be a "BIFF!" or "KA-POW!" in the last frame?

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

(yeah I know it's been said a few times already, but I'm still grinning, so..)

PFFFT! Baaaahahaha, now that I did NOT expect. Well played :D
And, damn it all, where were you 12 years ago when I could have USED this information, or at least inspiration? :roll:

And and and... is Batman's next target... this guy? >>> :mrgreen:

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

XbHW_TestEngr wrote:The science of acne. Love it.
Batman / Two Face reference. Really love it.

Hie thee to your nearest local method of extracting stuff from the BBC iPlayer then. Currently there's a program on there called "Revealed: How To Beat Spots". Can't remember if I've snagged it myself but it does sound like something that'd be worth chucking into VLC, playing at 1.5x speed and half-listening to with one ear for the results to emerge.

Edit so ninja that I haven't even pressed submit yet: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kn8sh/Revealed_How_to_Beat_Spots/
It doesn't help you in getting it, if your IP screams "NOT A BRITISH SUBJECT!!!!1", but it shows that AHM NOT CRAZY GOSHDANGIT :twisted:

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Plesiosaur wrote:If you don't want to get acne, then wash your pillowcase twice a week. Toss it in with your whites when you do the laundry, and use plenty of bleach. If your pillowcase is a dark color (meaning you can't throw it in with your whites), then go buy a couple of white pillowcases, they're cheap and you can afford them no matter how poor you are.

(etc, etc, disgusting levels of etc)

:shock: EWWWWW
But, your ideas interest me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. I long since fended off the acne fairy - mainly through means of new, hypoallergenically formulated ActuallyWashingMyFaceEveryMorningInsteadOfCoveringItInWhatIsProbablyJustMethsAndDye™ (effectiveness proven by how spots start to come rushing back if I skip the soap + water for a couple days, and painfully so now I'm no longer used to bombarding the mirror with pus) - but there's no way I'm going to be able to sleep on my 2-weeks-dirty pillow with that image in my head. I bet it'll make washing the ol' hair a bit quicker come tomorrow, too...
*scritch scritch* AAAGH YOU GIT I'm going to be scratching all the way home now.

Pleiosaur wrote:I guarantee it.

LEGALLY SPEAKING, DOESN'T YOUR ENTIRE POST NEED TO BE IN ALL CAPS FOR YOU TO BE ABLE TO USE THAT CLOSING LINE?

littlej wrote:2. I haven't kept up with Batman since the Adam West series stopped airing in the UK in about 1990 or so.

What... not even the Dark Knight graphic novel (available at all good city central libraries)?
Not even the animated series from the mid-late 90s which treated us to some excellent 30s art-deco graphical style and the first of many outings for Mark Hamill in his role as a slightly unhinged, besuited bad guy (in this case, of course, the Joker)?*
I know all the movies between "Returns" and "Begins" were shameful travesties that would be enough to put a person off ANY franchise, but COME ON. Let those two into your heart at least.

* And in some small way, I like to think, resulting in him acing the just-as-mad-but-not-easier-on-the-makeup Muska in Castle in the Sky, one of the few good things about the rehashed English dub.

ced623

Postby ced623 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

awesome :D these are finally starting to get better :) i got it as soon as i saw batman fly in *POW*
"there's still time to leave and find a non-crazy girl."
"not even slightly interested."
-BHG

GENERATION 98: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

How apropos that the cheese burning joke gets wheeled out again. Dairy activates allergy-like symptoms and exacerbates existing mild allergies (including tree nut allergies). This is where your pimples come from.

But as we all know, social problems like consuming foods made from fluid expelled from other species held in unthinkable conditions can be solved with a simple technological fix, like paying a drug company to torture and kill other mammals (pigs, dogs, rabbits, cats, rats, and so on) to prove the efficacy of a schmear that hides the effects of hedonism.

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

*headdesk*

Now I get it.

Bravo.
Spoiler:

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

cream wobbly wrote:How apropos that the cheese burning joke gets wheeled out again. Dairy activates allergy-like symptoms and exacerbates existing mild allergies (including tree nut allergies). This is where your pimples come from.

Citation needed please.

Pimples are simply a blockade of the pores in the skin, I can find a little scientific research supporting that claim that milk causes or makes acne more severe, but nothing whatsoever indicating that allready present allergies has anything to do with it. And to top it off, those studies showing that milk are causing acne are of extremely low scientific quality, as they are all based on interviews of people describing what how bad their acne is, and descriptions of their diet.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

leftnotracks

Postby leftnotracks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

There's an inconsistency in the penultimate frame. The speaker says, "OK call it. Heads, she gets the..." The coin flipper is telling someone to call the coin, then calling it himself.

Worse than Greedo shooting.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

tahrey wrote:
littlelj wrote:2. I haven't kept up with Batman since the Adam West series stopped airing in the UK in about 1990 or so.

What... not even the Dark Knight graphic novel (available at all good city central libraries)?
Not even the animated series from the mid-late 90s which treated us to some excellent 30s art-deco graphical style and the first of many outings for Mark Hamill in his role as a slightly unhinged, besuited bad guy (in this case, of course, the Joker)?

Nope, not even. I hit puberty :twisted: and now I prefer my superheroes a little more super. Soz.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

RequiemCube

Postby RequiemCube » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:31 am UTC

leftnotracks wrote:There's an inconsistency in the penultimate frame. The speaker says, "OK call it. Heads, she gets the..." The coin flipper is telling someone to call the coin, then calling it himself.

Worse than Greedo shooting.

Nah. It was a sentence that got interrupted by a Batman punch. "Okay, call it. Heads, she gets the salicylic acid; tails, she gets the benzoyl peroxide."

project2051

Postby project2051 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 am UTC

Plesiosaur wrote:If you don't want to get acne, then wash your pillowcase twice a week. Toss it in with your whites when you do the laundry, and use plenty of bleach. If your pillowcase is a dark color (meaning you can't throw it in with your whites), then go buy a couple of white pillowcases, they're cheap and you can afford them no matter how poor you are.
that's seven days worth of nasty skin oil & dirt that's getting mushed right back into your face all night while you sleep.

Nahh.. the drool flushes that away.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”