0706: "Freedom"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

EcoReck20

Postby EcoReck20 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Alt Text: "Sometimes I'm terrified to realize how many options other people have."

I wish I still had options. I've had so many opportunities taken away from me :(

Link: http://www.xkcd.com/706/
Last edited by EcoReck20 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Title text: Sometimes I'm terrified to realize how many options other people have.

I've pulled this thought a few times and weighed whether or not I should mention it. I'm glad I had more foresight than that guy.

Spoiler:
Yay! My 100th post!
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

irishnut

Re: "Freedom" Discussion

Postby irishnut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:07 am UTC

pretty sure you were first, but add the link

or maybe we should have the freedom to decide which one should be the "right" one lol

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Conversation would be much easier if you could end it with a swift punch in the face, sometimes.

jspenguin

Postby jspenguin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:07 am UTC

A legitimate GOOMHR moment. I frequently imagine what would happen if, for no reason, I just punched somebody I'm talking to. Especially if that person is boring.

Code: Select all

from __future__ import skynet

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:09 am UTC

So true, so true... I need to try this on boring people.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

irishnut

Postby irishnut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:09 am UTC

jspenguin wrote:A legitimate GOOMHR moment. I frequently imagine what would happen if, for no reason, I just punched somebody I'm talking to. Especially if that person is boring.

*punches you in the face*

much better.

EcoReck20

Postby EcoReck20 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:10 am UTC

My mission is to now punch someone tomorrow if I have the opportunity.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:10 am UTC

It's unfortunate that my eyes were drawn to the "WHAM" first. Nonetheless, I like this comic.

Gamaliel

Postby Gamaliel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 am UTC

Remember the time when the XKCD characters were unhappy that they had failed to have a Calvin & Hobbes style conversation?

Well, they didn't fail this time.

TrojanMonky

Postby TrojanMonky » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:13 am UTC

as long as there are no witnesses you can both punch and don't punch the person at the same time.
But be careful, a witness will cause the wave functions to collapse into one.
I think therefore I speak

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:14 am UTC

I'm more partial to the idea of just getting up in the middle of a lecture, walking over to the white/black-board, and painting a landscape scene using the markers... of course, you would have to have a complete lack of shame, and an instructor with a sense of humor, if you intended to complete said painting.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:14 am UTC

I remember back in highschool when I was playing a lot of neverwinter nights, thinking that it'd be all right if someone found contraband in my backpack or if I exposed myself to the counselor because I could just load a quicksave, I stopped playing for awhile but it really made me realize how much fear of consequences seems to make me act civil.
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

wackojacko1138

Postby wackojacko1138 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:19 am UTC

Ooh! Ooh! I know what this is! It's called Existential Angst!

Edited to remove bad pun.

Siguy

Postby Siguy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:24 am UTC

I found the way the comic played out vaguely Calvin-and-Hobbes-esque.

edit: DAMMIT someone beat me to it (whose post I did not read before making this comment)

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:26 am UTC

This is how people with vertigo feel. "Sure, I'm safe as long as I don't fling myself over the edge like a crazy person. But what if I did?"
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:34 am UTC

I actually think about this all the time, and I play out in my head what would happen had I done something outrageous in a given situation.

And that 'WHAM' is rather uncharacteristic of his comics...
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

fuzzball45

Postby fuzzball45 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:36 am UTC

Love the "should have seen that coming," "but you couldn't!" that's totally how i feel all the time. Like expect the unexpected, but that would make the unexpected expected wouldnt it?
dmoney wrote:
russianspy1234 wrote:What does that make her to me?

Fair game.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:38 am UTC

Kain wrote:I'm more partial to the idea of just getting up in the middle of a lecture, walking over to the white/black-board, and painting a landscape scene using the markers... of course, you would have to have a complete lack of shame, and an instructor with a sense of humor, if you intended to complete said painting.

If I had any artistic ability I jst might do that.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:42 am UTC

The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:51 am UTC

Maybe not fiji, but I have jumped on a plane interstate on not 24 hours notice because I was asked nicely to. No real reason, just to hang out with a mate, but the sheer thrill and confidence in myself just by doing that one thing has pretty much changed my life. I would have been stuck in a grad role in a company that was slowly shafting me, living a boring, uninteresting life in a horrid part of town.. but now I'm on the cusp of awesome in work, living with a rad boy in the same state that I jumped on that plane to, all those years ago ^_^ Oh, and our apartment has bush pigeons. Fuck yeah!

dysaniak

Postby dysaniak » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:52 am UTC

Yeah, it is amazing how many options we have. But, really, is all you want to do punch somebody? Other options:
  • Kiss them
  • smile at them
  • sing
  • dance
  • question them
  • invite a stranger into the conversation
  • write poetry
  • give them a sandwich
  • help them find something they've lost
  • help them find something they've never had
  • help them carry something
  • invite them home
  • invite yourself into their home
  • start planning to found a secret society
  • squak
  • remove a piece of clothing
  • speak poetry
  • grab their hand, and hold it
  • pick a flower
  • invite them to join your secret society
  • kick them

amodelqueso

Postby amodelqueso » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Looks like Randall discovered his "id"! ^_^

logixoul

Postby logixoul » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:51 am UTC

Dysaniak, I love you.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:28 am UTC

next time your at a red light with other cars, and it is clear, just pull into the intersection, get out of your car and walk away, have someone else walk over to your car and drive off.

wjcvv

Postby wjcvv » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 am UTC

This one really reminded me of The Dice Man.

Greyarcher

Postby Greyarcher » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:54 am UTC

Exercise your freedom to ignore your mental rules? I think the comic demonstrates the problems with that! Maybe people who are very naturally pacifistic and gentle could do it. But with other people it would lead to lots of violence during moments of stress, anger, frustration, and whim. Would probably lead to crime too.

And if you only ignore your mental rules when you know you won't be violent/criminal, then you're ignoring your mental rules according to a mental rule...which rather undermines the "total freedom" aspect.
In serious discussion, I usually strive to post with clarity, thoroughness, and precision so that others will not misunderstand; I strive for dispassion and an open mind, the better to avoid error.

rnw159

Postby rnw159 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:17 am UTC

I think that way all the time, I always imagine that every time I have a choice a bunch of alternate reality worlds are created where a choice is chosen and events unfold. Somtimes the choice is simple and spontaneous.

Shupersean

Postby Shupersean » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:35 am UTC

I think this "freedom" is the main reason I balk at sociology. Predict how someone *should* react as much as you want, there will always be that person who decides to ignore convention, compulsion, or impulse and do something completely unexpected. Actually...I think if someone could live in that space, they would be truly interesting.

SirJefferE

Postby SirJefferE » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:47 am UTC

I think about this all the time. I mean, someone could just randomly push me in front of a train. Nothing I can do about it except hope that they don't.

Or if I'm driving. I could swerve into another lane for no other reason than to see what would happen. It's only mental rules that tell me that's probably a bad idea. What if those rules failed for half a second?

So many other things I could do if only I were slightly unhinged. I wonder how many people I could shoot if I decided to go mad and sneak around the place firing random shots at anyone I see.

vole-in-hand

Postby vole-in-hand » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:48 am UTC

Plane to Fiji? Has someone been watching the Truman Show?

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 am UTC

SirJefferE wrote:Or if I'm driving. I could swerve into another lane for no other reason than to see what would happen. It's only mental rules that tell me that's probably a bad idea. What if those rules failed for half a second?

I saw that happen to someone once. They were driving in my lane for no apparent reason, and swerved in front of me with less than 15 feet to spare.

Not the most pleasant experience I've ever had...

sarahbau

Postby sarahbau » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:55 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:This is how people with vertigo feel. "Sure, I'm safe as long as I don't fling myself over the edge like a crazy person. But what if I did?"

Oh god. Those are the scariest thoughts I've ever had. I've never had vertigo though.

macho

Postby macho » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:22 am UTC

Randall, I don't know if you're reading this, but I'm a little bit freaked out. This is the fourth or fifth comic you've made where you express thoughts that are identical to mine. And I have never seen anyone even coming to think of that stuff.

I'm both happy and surprised. Happy, because there are other people that think just like me and that's cool and surprised at how identical your thoughts are with mine. I guess I'd be glad to meet you someday.

edit:
SirJefferE - EXACTLY :) I could write for ages about what thoughts I usually have on this
Last edited by macho on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NorthLondon

Postby NorthLondon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:25 am UTC

I have just finished a pretty thorough play-through of Dragon Age: Origins (excellent, by the way). One of the key foundations of the game is how in any interaction with a speaking character, you'll always be presented with four or five options. The dialogue option or action you choose ripples all the way through the game.

Loved it. Was also terrified by it. Much like real life.

peteispo

Postby peteispo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:46 am UTC

This is how terrorism works - flying an airliner into a building is exactly the sort of thing that the normal rules of civilisation would preclude, but if you're prepared to break the rules then all hell can break loose...

Wolfdog1993

Postby Wolfdog1993 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:25 am UTC

Oh me yarm this is totally a moment to register :D
I think this all the time <3

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:30 am UTC

Randall did a little Johnny Hart in panel 4 there. :P This comic reminded me a bit of Post Office Showdown.

Whenever I think of all the choices we have, even those that aren't really options, I like to imagine that every single one of them is actually made in an alternate universe every single moment.

chadnickbok

Postby chadnickbok » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 am UTC

The only problem with this comic is that from now on, whenever people meet Randall, all they're going to be thinking of is "Punch him!".

Seriously. Think about how many times people are going to punch him in the face now.

If I ever meet him...

kogle

Postby kogle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:46 am UTC

Subtle Mass Effect 2 reference?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”