0708: "Sex Dice"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BioTube

Re: "Sex Dice" discusion

Postby BioTube » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

Treating 'data' as plural instead of uncountable always bugs me, even more so than treating 'she' as generic(which shows a clear ignorance of basic grammar). I've learned to live with 'dice' as singular, though.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

neoteric

Postby neoteric » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

Yeah, I have to say I am disappointed that this was on both The Simpsons and XKCD within a day of each other :\.

SorryBoringNickName

Postby SorryBoringNickName » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

3rd panel (do the dices count as a panel?): Typo!!
Fuking English teachers, I'M REALLY HATING THEM RIGHT NOW!

I had to google wtf 'fondle' was. Stupid English teachers and their censorship.
Nothing to do, nowhere to go-oh

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:Treating 'data' as plural instead of uncountable always bugs me, even more so than treating 'she' as generic(which shows a clear ignorance of basic grammar). I've learned to live with 'dice' as singular, though.

Though you're being contradictory there in the sense that technically data is plural (and held to be so in many fields) whereas 'she' has never been generic, so in that sense you're being a bluff old traditionalist.

The use of she has a reasonable ground to it, a point to be made to generations about casual sexism, though the question of whether it's still necessary to consider such things is a different matter.

It looks like with data there's a tendency for it to be 'singular' for computing but 'plural' for science so I guess we're seeing a program/programme split occurring but without a direct spelling difference.

davidhbrown

Postby davidhbrown » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:17 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:Treating 'data' as plural instead of uncountable always bugs me...

If your data are uncountable, you should probably redesign your experiment, REPAIR TABLE, or run fsck/chkdsk!

she-ra

Re: "Sex Dice" discussion

Postby she-ra » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

These forums amaze me. With a topic like 'Sex Dice' you wouldn't think to find a discussion on interesting grammatical irregularities...
Without me the world would be doomed.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Dason wrote:Did you honestly start the thread... have no commentary... and then double post to essentially say "First!"? *annoyed*

Anywho, if your fondling does 6 damage then you're really doing it wrong.

Yes, he did. And who cares? Just ignore the first post and carry on with the comic already. Damn, people find ways to be unhappy.
And I guess fondle + 6 means "fondle six times". I bet it's an effective attack against a Warhammer 40K Sister of Battle. They'd either back away in disgust or drop all armor and be yours.
Chaos Reigns!

shoelessschuler

Postby shoelessschuler » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 pm UTC

In 3.5: I'm figuring the damage would have to be 1d6, so she's probably using something like a scimitar or a rapier for the fondling. Though it's possible she has a strength bonus and is using something smaller, like unarmed strike of 1d3 and has a whopping strength of 16 or 17. This is all assuming she's a medium creature, of course.
"But my heart it don't beat, it don't beat the way it used to, and my eyes they don't see you no more, and my lips, they don't kiss, they don't kiss the way they used to and my eyes don't recognize you no more"

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

My new Hobby:

Saying "That's what SHE rolled" after someone makes any remark.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

Dason wrote:Anywho, if your fondling does 6 damage then you're really doing it wrong.

Not for people who are into bdsm! :)
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

suso

Postby suso » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Interesting, SMBC has a fairly similar comic today. Is this some kind of crossover?
Imagine theres no signatures....

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

I wanted to get some for valentines day with my frigid girlfriend.

"Kiss" "Vagina"

"No, that's not happening"

"Tounge". ..

"no."
:evil:
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

I noticed in the first three panels, there are only two people playing. In the last, there are four. Was the other couple doing something kinky? As for the "frigid" girlfriend, get a pair of dice that says "get new" and "girlfriend". Next time she says "That's not happening", swap dice.
Last edited by RogueCynic on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I noticed in the first three panels, there are only two people playing. In the third there are four. Was the other couple doing something kinky?

I'm pretty sure that in panel 4 it's a different group of people.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

I wonder if the D&D group just started their game session, 'cause it would've been pretty silly if they never noticed the other die was "off" the whole time :lol:
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

Wait, who said they were playing D&D?

I'm sure that there are other table-top games besides D&D. Such as this one http://www.xkcd.com/593/...

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

axilog14 wrote:I wonder if the D&D group just started their game session, 'cause it would've been pretty silly if they never noticed the other die was "off" the whole time :lol:

maybe they just decided to roll with it.
I'm a compulsive pun maker. please don't hate me
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Wait, who said they were playing D&D?

I'm sure that there are other table-top games besides D&D. Such as this one http://www.xkcd.com/593/...

That IS D&D, just not Dungeons & Dragons. It's Druids & Dicotyledons.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

Nicole88

Postby Nicole88 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

Jackpot wrote:I wanted to get some for valentines day with my frigid girlfriend.

"Kiss" "Vagina"

"No, that's not happening"

"Tounge". ..

"no."
:evil:

Well... actually, you'd kiss a vulva.
Kissing a vagina would be very difficult. And not much fun for anyone.

That said, whoever it was that refused to go down on a woman they're dating needs to be broken up with!
I'm drunk on panda mystery.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:13 am UTC

Dason wrote:
RogueCynic wrote:I noticed in the first three panels, there are only two people playing. In the third there are four. Was the other couple doing something kinky?

The group of four are "the kids" playing their board game. Notice, the guys says he needs to reorganize the game cupboard. The kids picked up the wrong die for their game. Not sure if all four are their kids; most likely one or two experiment survivors, and their friends from the neighborhood (i.e. future experimentation subjects)

Diadem wrote:
Dason wrote:Anywho, if your fondling does 6 damage then you're really doing it wrong.

Six damage / Sick damage. Either way, ouch.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:30 am UTC

TheoGB wrote:Don't get me started on 'PIN number' - some cashpoints here ever use it.

Cashpoint? Is that like an ATM machine? ;-)

[ducks]

Jackpoint wrote:I wanted to get some for valentines day...

Didn't we all...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

xmrsmoothx

Postby xmrsmoothx » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:44 am UTC

I lol'd heartily.
I LOVE having a signature. It makes my post that much bigger.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:29 am UTC

TheoGB wrote:Though you're being contradictory there in the sense that technically data is plural (and held to be so in many fields) whereas 'she' has never been generic, so in that sense you're being a bluff old traditionalist.
I'm having trouble deciphering the last part - I've grown up with 'they' shoehorned into being a generic first-person pronoun, but I've only seen 'she' in that sense in some academic papers(though how they got published when the authors clearly Fail Grammar Forever is beyond me)
The use of she has a reasonable ground to it, a point to be made to generations about casual sexism, though the question of whether it's still necessary to consider such things is a different matter.
No, the use of 'she' to refer to anything besides females or the precious few feminine nouns English has left is a case of bad grammar, nothing more.
It looks like with data there's a tendency for it to be 'singular' for computing but 'plural' for science so I guess we're seeing a program/programme split occurring but without a direct spelling difference.
It's not singular - it's uncountable(like 'blood', 'wood' and 'juice').
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

cethis

Postby cethis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:31 am UTC

Maybe stretching it a little but...douchebaggry?

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 am UTC

Thank you from the wonderful people of allbyer.com for sponsoring this thread. And now back to our discussion.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:59 am UTC

XbHW_TestEngr wrote:
Dason wrote:

The group of four are "the kids" playing their board game. Notice, the guys says he needs to reorganize the game cupboard. The kids picked up the wrong die for their game. Not sure if all four are their kids; most likely one or two experiment survivors, and their friends from the neighborhood (i.e. future experimentation subjects)
It could also be the same guy at a later point with a group of different people.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
XbHW_TestEngr wrote:
Dason wrote:

It could also be the same guy at a later point with a group of different people.

Panel 4 is almost certainly a different group of people.

This is a classic joke format:

Person 1 in location 1: "That's not <object a>, that's <object b>!"
Person 2 in location 1: "But if we've got <object b>, then where's <object a>?"

Cut to location 2, where Person 3 is having some hilariously incongruous encounter with <object a>.

Even though the format is an old standby, I laughed my <body part> off at this comic. :lol:
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:14 am UTC

It's not singular - it's uncountable(like 'blood', 'wood' and 'juice').

The OED implies we're discussing semantics here. The singular verb goes with it being an uncountable thing, which is what I was getting at: http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ ... ta?view=uk
Strictly speaking, data is the plural of datum, and should be used with a plural verb (like facts). However, there has been a growing tendency to use it as an equivalent to the uncountable noun information, followed by a singular verb. This is now regarded as generally acceptable in American use, and in the context of information technology. The traditional usage is still preferable, at least in Britain, but it may soon become a lost cause.

BioTube wrote:
TheoGB wrote:Though you're being contradictory there in the sense that technically data is plural (and held to be so in many fields) whereas 'she' has never been generic, so in that sense you're being a bluff old traditionalist.
I'm having trouble deciphering the last part - I've grown up with 'they' shoehorned into being a generic first-person pronoun, but I've only seen 'she' in that sense in some academic papers(though how they got published when the authors clearly Fail Grammar Forever is beyond me)
No, the use of 'she' to refer to anything besides females or the precious few feminine nouns English has left is a case of bad grammar, nothing more.

Vampire: The Masquerade used 'she' exclusively in general text when referring to characters' actions so I've seen it used all over. Again, if you're going to obstinately claim it's bad grammar (which it is) but miss the point of its use (a reaction against ingrained sexism in society) then I'd call you a 'bluff old traditionalist'. :wink: And again I find it contradictory that you would so strongly buck against that particular evolution of language but wholeheartedly embrace the use of 'data' as a non-plural. Yes, 'he' is the standard generic pronoun but it's sophistry to claim you can't see why 'she' would be used - it's not bad grammar like writing 'your stupid', it clearly has a point to be made.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:31 am UTC

TheoGB wrote:Language evolution, I guess. Or not particularly reputable dictionaries. 'News' was still technically a plural word 100-odd years ago and 'data' is still technically the plural of 'datum' but no one really seems to care now if you say 'the data is correct' instead of 'the data are correct', in fact you sound pretty stuffy if you say the latter.

I'm used to dealing with this kind of datum. It amuses me that to create a datum, you have to start by gathering lots of data. :mrgreen:

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:57 am UTC

Am I the only one who just thought "man, those are some really funny-looking dice"? They're more like tiles. O.o
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

TimeSpaceMage

Postby TimeSpaceMage » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Also, I call foul on the last panel. There is clearly a GIRL playing that D&D game! I haven't seen a girl playing D&D since... the girl I lost my virginity to...

Did you get it back?

Also on a more serious note, a good friend of mine has a girl in his roleplaying group. He even made a rather long-running webcomic revolving around his group ending up in one of his campaigns.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

XbHW_TestEngr wrote:
Dason wrote:

Diadem wrote:

Six damage / Sick damage. Either way, ouch.

So there should be a header saying "Meanwhile, in another room..."? And why are they keeping sex dice in the game cupboard?

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:And why are they keeping sex dice in the game cupboard?

Where else would you keep them?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Okapi

Postby Okapi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:52 am UTC

With food, of course. Between cereals and soups.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 am UTC

TheoGB wrote:The OED implies we're discussing semantics here. The singular verb goes with it being an uncountable thing, which is what I was getting at:
"Singular" implies it can be pluralized.
Vampire: The Masquerade used 'she' exclusively in general text when referring to characters' actions so I've seen it used all over. Again, if you're going to obstinately claim it's bad grammar (which it is) but miss the point of its use (a reaction against ingrained sexism in society) then I'd call you a 'bluff old traditionalist'. :wink: And again I find it contradictory that you would so strongly buck against that particular evolution of language but wholeheartedly embrace the use of 'data' as a non-plural. Yes, 'he' is the standard generic pronoun but it's sophistry to claim you can't see why 'she' would be used - it's not bad grammar like writing 'your stupid', it clearly has a point to be made.
There's a world of difference between pronoun and nouns - the former are essentially part of a language's grammar while the latter aren't. And reacting against anything is no excuse for butchering a tongue that's already schizophrenic.

thret

Postby thret » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:57 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Your cousin was probably thinking of Onyx, the Game of Sexual Exploration. For up to six players! :-D

Also, I call foul on the last panel. There is clearly a GIRL playing that D&D game! I haven't seen a girl playing D&D since... the girl I lost my virginity to...

http://www.weregeek.com/

Alina Pete is a girl.

edbdqt

Postby edbdqt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Anoria wrote:Questions that occur to me after reading this comic:

How long until they start making sex dice with more than six sides?

20 sided sex dice!!! Yesss!!! oh wait.... ewwww. By the time you get to body part 19, there's not a lot left to pick from.

And while we're at it, why do sex dice come in sets of two. Why not a third one with an adverb or a fourth with a preposional clause?
ex. [lick][eyes][rapidly][in the kitchen]

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Your cousin was probably thinking of Onyx, the Game of Sexual Exploration. For up to six players! :-D

Also, I call foul on the last panel. There is clearly a GIRL playing that D&D game! I haven't seen a girl playing D&D since... the girl I lost my virginity to...

That might be it. Like I said, my memory from that conversation isn't the best, likely because of the intense sandpapering I did to my brain to get rid of the mental images of my cousin being naked and... yeah, you get the picture.

Also, in the latest session of D&D I played, the girls almost equaled the guys. It was a really funny session (even though my character was tortured at one point), and the best part is when our group drew straws to seduce the baroness of the village (to get access to the safe, of course!) and one of the girls drew the short straw.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:51 am UTC

Edit to include the quote, which got lost somehow...
TimeSpaceMage wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Also, I call foul on the last panel. There is clearly a GIRL playing that D&D game! I haven't seen a girl playing D&D since... the girl I lost my virginity to...

Did you get it back?

Also on a more serious note, a good friend of mine has a girl in his roleplaying group. He even made a rather long-running webcomic revolving around his group ending up in one of his campaigns.

If you didn't get it back, then she must still have it, right? And if she has virginity, she's a virgin... unless she went and lost it again.

Lots of girls play RPG's (including several girls I know). There are even girls on the internet! :shock:
Last edited by Platypodes on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:Lots of girls play RPG's (including several girls I know). There are even girls on the internet! :shock:

Yeah, I know, I jest. My best friend's wife used to game with us regularly (and she still games, just not with any "us" including me, since they moved away after getting hitched), as did several of my own exes besides that first I already mentioned.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”