0709: "I Am"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

boowilkes

Re: "I Am" Discussion

Postby boowilkes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

John Lennon
"I believe in me."

I am offended anytime someone insults ME.

Bobson

Postby Bobson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

I don't think this is what he had in mind when drawing, and I"m not really happy with this interpretation, but it's the first thing that jumped into my mind when reading the comic: R2D2 as master manipulator as counterpart in the SW universe to the biblical God as master manipulator.

javahead

Postby javahead » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

Lareth wrote:Or possibly Randall was trying to start a new meme. Just attach "And this is my counterpart, R2-D2" to the end of any self-introduction.

"I am Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glennfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel... And this is my counterpart, R2-D2"

"I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger. I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night. Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power! I AM BEOWULF! ...And this is my counterpart, R2-D2."

Etc.

Holy crap now I'm really rolling on the floor over here :lol:

Edit: Have to add: There is no more Peyton. I am Darkman! ... And this is my counterpart, R2-D2

edit2: Imagine how it would have saved Arthur:

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.
Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin'
King Arthur: [re-interrupting] Ahem! I was not finished...I am your king, and this is my counter part, R2-D2.
Dennis: Oh, very nice then.
Last edited by javahead on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hemflit

Postby hemflit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:The comic seems to me like Randall had a joke that worked fine in his head, but could not deliver it in a comic medium.

+1.

Not that there isn't a kernel of a joke. Not that I can't find where teh funny is supposed to be. But... meh.

I really like xkcd. I'm usually very forgiving of the occasional sub-par joke, mostly because even when it's not very good, it's my kind of humour. But this, let me sugarcoat it, ranks pretty low on any "best 700 xkcd episodes" list. IMNSHO, YMMV, etc.

You know what else? The troglodytes over at xkcdsucks are going to celebrate. It's been months since they've had something real to sink their hateful little teeth into.

Edit: but the new R2D2 meme is a winner!
Last edited by hemflit on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sarda

Postby Sarda » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

Yes, I get the incongruity, but find it funnier if the incongruous elements have a reason for being together. The entire point seems to be "hey - I recognize the burning bush. And R2D2 from Star Wars." That, to me, is a reference, not a joke.[/quote]
This is pretty much what I got out of it. My thought process went like this:
First panel - moses and burning bush scene. Second panel - star wars. Wait, star wars? Reread first panel to see what I missed. Reread second panel to see if they're connected. Ah, the bush is in the second panel as well. I think I'm still missing something. Reread entire comic again. Give up.

It just wasn't funny to me.
If P AND NOT P then the lotto numbers will be 4, 19, 23, 194, the fine structure constant, and Birmingham.

Vaskafdt

Postby Vaskafdt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

Yes, I am white now,' said Gandalf. 'Indeed I am Saruman, one might almost say, Saruman as he should have been. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2

We call ourselves "the Q". Or you may call me that; it's all much the same thing. And I have presented myself to you as a fellow ship captain so that you will better understand me and my counterpart, R2-D2.
My Art Blog: (Slightly NSFW)

thezeus18

Postby thezeus18 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

"Deus ex machina" indeed.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

Milna wrote:I think that the suggestion is LOM is the hebrew version of the name Elohim (eL-Oh-iM - LOM without the vowels) - although maybe it should be LHM.

No it isn't - the Hebrew letters, if crudely transliterated one-to-one, are ALHIM (אלהים).

In any case, even after reading all the suggested explanations, I still fail to find this funny.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

KBF wrote:The joke is a sudden change in tone, helped with references to Star Wars that work rather well, and get better the more you consider them. I don't know what you want. It's funny.

You laugh at Will Ferrell too, don't you?

KBF

Postby KBF » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:15 am UTC

Zylon wrote:You laugh at Will Ferrell too, don't you?

And I bet you try to pass off poor sense of humor as sophistication too, don't you?

Life is easier when you laugh at jokes.

Apteryx

Postby Apteryx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Week after week people come along and say they don't enjoy the jokes/the jokes somehow fail.

Shouldn't we force these people to prove they ACTUALLY have a sense of humour?.

Or link to their own extremely funny work, to provide us with some way of gaging their standards?.

Humour is subjective after all. So when someone says "I didn't find this funny" it is just the equivalent of another saying "I found this funny", and not a judgement on the joke, but themselves. Fair go too.

To go on and say "This joke is not funny ", well, I think it ought to be backed up with some world class ability to make all-comers chortle. It almost never is.
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.
John Adams

cethis

Postby cethis » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:34 am UTC

I don't understand how people are arguing over if something is funny or not, be it the comic, Will Ferrell or anything else. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Okapi

Postby Okapi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:59 am UTC

Amen, cethis.

Those that are coming onto the forums every day to say they hate the comic are idiotic hypocrites; Not only should they simply not come and complain if they don't like the comic anyway, and should instead avoid the site, which is incredibly easy because on the internet you aren't forced to go anywhere, therefore making them hypocrites, but they display the fact that they are complete idiots by doing it again. And again. And again. Ad infinitum.

Also, Will Ferrel sucks, which is why I don't watch his bleeding movies and therefore never have to effing complain.

EDIT: You should all listen to me when I speak to you. For I am that shrewd and knavish spirit called Robin Goodfellow, that frightens the maidens of the villagree, skims milk, and sometimes labours in the quern, and bootless makes the breathless housewife churn, and sometimes makes the drink to bear no barme, misleads night-wanderers, laughing at their harm. Those that Hobgoblin call me, and Sweet Pucke, I do their work, and they shall have good luck. I am that merry wanderer of the night: I jest to Oberon, and make him smile, when I a fat and bean-fed horse beguile, neighing in likeness to a silly foal. And sometimes lurk I in a gossip's bowl, in every likeness like a roasted crab: and when she drinks, against her lips I bob, and on her withered dewlap pour the ale. The wisest aunt telling the saddest tale, sometimes for a three-foot stool mistakes me, then flip I from her bum, down topples she, and, "Tailor!" cries, and falls into a cough; Then the whole choir hold their hips, and laugh, and waxen in their mirth, and sneeze and swear; A happier hour was never wasted there. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2.
Last edited by Okapi on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Apteryx

Postby Apteryx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:13 am UTC

Okapi wrote:
Also, Will Ferrel sucks, which is why I don't watch his bleeding movies and therefore never have to effing complain.

Truly, he does suck, but if you did watch his movies, at some point in his suckery he would say/do something that would make you laugh for some reason, if only "That sucks so bad, I paid 5 dollars to watch suckery, hahaha, that is funny" and so, it can't be said he is completely unfunny to you. :wink:

Friends of mine insist on going to watch his movies. We sit there and all laugh, though I am laughing at the fact that, I have witless friends. What can one do, you have to be sociable to your friends, or a hermit.
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.
John Adams

Okapi

Postby Okapi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:24 am UTC

Not if you have the internet. With the internet you can not have friends without being a hermit. You have better than friends; You have Enemies! And only 10% of them can send you to Guantanamo Bay!

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 am UTC

In very poor taste, in fact unashamedly blasphemous. Bewilderingly unfunny juxtaposition.

Perhaps you'd like to follow it up with a Mohammed/Koran mocking comic - or are you afraid of a fatwa?

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 am UTC

I did not get the C3po reference until I read the posts. I found it amusing that the Almighty would need a counter part droid, but Randall is not his usual lol self today. Keep trying Randall.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

zoffenberger

Postby zoffenberger » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:47 am UTC

The poster who suggested the meme idea seems to have the closest interpretation to my own of the comic. The humor comes from the grandiose introduction and the fact that you are probably reading it in a booming, mighty voice in your head which then instantly becomes C3PO in the next panel. I think it's got a lot of great potential as a meme. I think it could have been delivered a bit better, though, since people were confused as to "what" exactly the joke was.

JoePa

Postby JoePa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 am UTC

I don't know why so many people don't find this funny. For me it worked on two levels:
Initial reaction: R2D2 is an agent of god! That's why he was always the unsung hero in so many critical situations! I'm a sucker for a good Star Wars joke.
Second reaction: Wait, C-3PO was a god to the Ewoks. So, seeing him for the first time was the Ewoks' equivalent of the burning bush. So, this is how the whole thing must have actually looked to the Ewoks. Interesting insight by Randall, and also very funny.

EDIT: I guess you have to be a pretty hardcore Star Wars nerd for the fact that R2D2 was the real hero of the Original trilogy (and the prequel trilogy, for that matter) to be second nature to you. Maybe there just aren't many hardcore Star Wars nerds on this board.

Scorpio3002

Postby Scorpio3002 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:23 am UTC

Lareth wrote:Or possibly Randall was trying to start a new meme. Just attach "And this is my counterpart, R2-D2" to the end of any self-introduction.

I am vengeance. I am the night. I. Am. BATMAN!

And this is my counterpart, R2-D2.

flashstick

Postby flashstick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:26 am UTC

I love you and your blasphemous comics. They remind me of me.

Scorpio3002

Postby Scorpio3002 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:28 am UTC

Just though of another:

"My name's Forest, Forest Gump. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2."

And another, from Pulp Fiction:

"I'm Mr. Wolf, and I solve problems. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2."

And of course:

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya, and this is my counterpart R2-D2. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

And "I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, and this is my counterpart R2-D2, savvy?"

frogman

Postby frogman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:54 am UTC

I can't tell whether this is sacrilegious or just plain awesome. I'm going to go with awesome.
yeah yeah yeah

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:55 am UTC

frogman wrote:I can't tell whether this is sacrilegious or just plain awesome.
Can't it be both?
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

JeanSebTr

Postby JeanSebTr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:10 am UTC

I thought too it was the Yggdrasil in the background.
I immediately think to the kind of falling sequence in "The Fountain" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/
But we can see some rock on the ground which are illuminated by the Burning Bush.

Tillah

Postby Tillah » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:08 am UTC

Firstly, I would like to point out http://xkcd.com/178/ (for those still struggling with the incongruous humor).

Secondly:

V. : But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona. Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2.
Evey: Are you like a crazy person?
V. : I’m quite sure they will say so.
R2 : Bleep-Bloop-BLEEP.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:42 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Now imagine Threepio's voice "booming" (hah) forth from a burning bush. "I am Why Ach Vee Ach, The LORD your God, and the God of of your fathers, of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob... and this is my counterpart, Artoo Deetoo."

You mean Yud Hay Vava Hay; it's important because so many things get lost in translation between languages, especially when idioms are involved.

For laymen, idioms are the nonsensical phrases, euphemisms, and so forth that become part of the language. For example, distance measured in time (15 minutes to my house), the various ways of losing your job (downsized, dehired, made redundent, given the pink slip, sacked, fired), or "spending" time, and so forth.

It isn't too difficult to, well, I don't think I can't say it without starting a flamewar.

The main problem is that the bible was translated from hebrew to greek, to latin, then edited by the council of Nicea, then to church latin, then translated to germanic, to old english, to english. Or from church latin to old spanish, or church latin to old french, or, well, you get the idea. Wars have been fought over which group had the "correct" version.

MrDeMolay

Postby MrDeMolay » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:45 am UTC

Scorpio3002 wrote:"My name's Forest, Forest Gump. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2."

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya, and this is my counterpart R2-D2. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

And "I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, and this is my counterpart R2-D2, savvy?"

Thank you. Thank you very much. These three made me laugh the hardest yet!

"My name is Optimus Prime. We are autonomous robotic organisms from the planet Cybertron, and this is my counterpart R2-D2."

J L

Postby J L » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:09 am UTC

"I am Gozer the Gozerian, Gozer the Destructor, Volguus Zildrohar, the traveller has come. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2."

AboutToFly

Postby AboutToFly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 am UTC

Randomness, or incongruity, does not make humor. You can't just put two random things together and make it funny. This comic was therefore not funny.

Anyone who says that I don't have the right to say that is missing the point. I read xkcd regularly because it often makes me laugh. I found Monday's comic funny, but not today's. So, I don't like that, because I come expecting a good joke and I get something that falls flat. And it's obviously not just me who thinks so, nor is it only trolls who hate xkcd.

It is possible for a group of people to find something funny even if it is not. For example, a lot of kids like the chicken-crossing-the-road joke, but I think it's fair to say that the joke isn't funny. Or consider the immature, offensive humor in a lot of modern comedy movies. The jokes may not be funny but that doesn't stop people from liking them. Heck, there are people who laugh at farts.

I don't hold it against Randall that the joke fell flat, it must be very hard to come up with something funny three times a week. I know I couldn't do it. But there's no reason for everyone to rush to defend him as though he cannot make a mistake. I say that if the joke needs to be over-analyzed, half the people on the forum don't get it, and the other half disagree about what the actual joke is, then the joke isn't good. I'm still going to check xkcd on Friday, because there's a good chance I'll enjoy that one.
Theorem (Huneke-Hochster). We don't know much about anything.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:21 am UTC

KBF wrote:Actually, he might have been making fun of this guy. But since we may never know his intention THE JOKE DOESN'T WORK. We must know the ONE TRUE INTENTION of a joke before it is funny.

Congratulations! You now understand comedy! That is exactly what I meant in my post, and I wasn't making fun of anyone. Hell, why do you think irony many times doesn't work on the Internet? That's because people fail to see the irony, therefore they don't understand the intention of the author, which means the joke is lost.

But then, I read that no, anything can be a joke, as long as the viewer "interprets" it that way. Ok, so just hang on a minute while I I call Dostoyevsky and tell him I found Crime and Punishment was comedic genius, to see what he'll think. Oh, and I'll go to IMDb and say Schindler's List made me laugh my ass off and see the responses. And if you disagree with me, it's obviously because you need to do more research so you can be as smart as me.

I am sorry to say this, but comedy isn't easy to make. If you pull off random crap and expect to get a following who will find you a genius, well, you'll (probably) die trying. If you can think of funny stuff but don't know how to deliver it to the readers/viewers, then you need to improve. If you can write excellent stuff but isn't funny, you should probably stick to other genre. But to be a fan of something, you don't need much effort; you can just repeat "Randall, GOOMH" ad infinitum and feel smart (unfortunately, many people don't care about that. :( ).

reevey

Postby reevey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 am UTC

Scorpio3002 wrote:I am vengeance. I am the night. I. Am. BATMAN!

And this is my counterpart, R2-D2.

*Robin exits left, sulking*

Alternatively:

I am what I am, I am my own special creation! And this is my counterpart R2-D2.
** Money can't buy you friends, but you get a better class of enemy. ~ Spike Milligan **

** It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase "As pretty as an airport" appear. ~ Douglas Adams **

jacog

Postby jacog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:34 pm UTC

Comedy is also subjective. Therefore it is impossible to make the statement "it's not funny", since many peeps in this thread have pointed out that they did, in fact, find it funny. I did too.

bjornart

Postby bjornart » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

AvgNYer68 wrote:My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And this is my counterpart, R2D2.

Best one so far. :lol:

Quake

Postby Quake » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Still working on this one !

The guy with the HOARSE voice is Odin. He's been hanging around for a while, so he's excused for his hoarseness.
His counterpart is the homologue of Paul Pierre's From France (the guy to the left) to the right.

The homologues seem to speak Bocce 5* (Bocce 101, digitally), a simple "five-letter-words" language : BLEEP, BLOOP, BOCCE... and so on.

Well. One funny thing with Odin could be Popeye... I suppose.

* NO references found.

Still working ...

Lalorna

Postby Lalorna » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

How did you lot miss the glaringly obvious and highly inbred incarnation of this new meme? :wink:

"Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."
"He told me enough! It was you who killed him."
"No. I am your father. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2."

(or was it just so obvious that now I look like an idiot and I'm to be shunned? blast.)

dexeron

Postby dexeron » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

I am Thorin Oakenshield, descendant of Thrain the Old and grandson of Thror who was King under the Mountain. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2.
By and by, when the sidewalks are safe for the little guy...

mullitover

Postby mullitover » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

I'm enjoying this little debate about the nature of humor. It is a sort of microcosm of the large debate about the nature of language... Can something as abstract as humor be defined objectively? Is it the intention of the speaker/author as important as the interpretation? Does the intention even matter? Can we know the intention? These are all questions that go back pretty far in debates about rhetoric and philosophy (my particular nerdy field of study).

AboutToFly wrote:Randomness, or incongruity, does not make humor. You can't just put two random things together and make it funny. This comic was therefore not funny.
It is possible for a group of people to find something funny even if it is not. For example, a lot of kids like the chicken-crossing-the-road joke, but I think it's fair to say that the joke isn't funny. Or consider the immature, offensive humor in a lot of modern comedy movies. The jokes may not be funny but that doesn't stop people from liking them. Heck, there are people who laugh at farts.

Here we have another model of someone thinking they have the key to what is or is not funny. It's true that I fail to appreciate the humor my students sometimes see in a fart joke, but it only annoys me because I have to be subjected to their presence. It's not funny to me, but it is to them. If I could, I would avoid them. Guess what, though... I'm betting that people who laugh at farts outnumber those of us who don't. I think their opinion can't be discarded as simply wrong based on whatever standard I might want to establish. Similarly, xkcd has an Alexa world traffic ranking of 1,359. Considering the number of websites in the world, that is very popular. The number of people represented on this forum represents a very limited spectrum of the visitors who make xkcd so popular. Therefore the "failed" humor must be making someone laugh.

AboutToFly wrote:I say that if the joke needs to be over-analyzed, half the people on the forum don't get it, and the other half disagree about what the actual joke is, then the joke isn't good. I'm still going to check xkcd on Friday, because there's a good chance I'll enjoy that one.

I think that misses the point of much of xkcd's humor. About half the comic's here are about the nerdiness of getting something that most people (even nerds like us) won't get. I'm usually quite pleased when I do get all the subtleties of on e of these more difficult strips, but I certainly don't mind the "Ohhhh!" moment when I figure out one I didn't get after a visit to wikipedia or the fora. And, I will admit, there are some strips that indeed do not find my funnybone, but I don't dismiss them as not funny, simply as not funny to me.

SirMustapha wrote:Ok, so just hang on a minute while I I call Dostoyevsky and tell him I found Crime and Punishment was comedic genius, to see what he'll think. Oh, and I'll go to IMDb and say Schindler's List made me laugh my ass off and see the responses.
I am sorry to say this, but comedy isn't easy to make. If you pull off random crap and expect to get a following who will find you a genius, well, you'll (probably) die trying.

Here again, arguments about the authors intention are pretty much meaningless. I could claim that Dostoyevsky and Spielberg did intend those works to be funny, and even if we could consult them both (Dostoyevsky via medium, of course) and they disagreed, I could claim they are lying because they are afraid of upsetting the millions who have interpreted the works wrongly.

Or look at it another way. What if Dostoyevsky and Spielberg did say they intended the works as comedy? Would that make them funny in the face of the consistent interpretations of millions of readers or viewers?

The point is, interpretation matters more than intention. If enough people agree with the idea that the humor on xkcd isn't funny, then it's popularity will slip. That could be the result of a change in Randall's sense of humor, or in what the public perceives as funny, but it does not mean we can establish an objective standard of humor by which to say it is not funny.

You know, it's odd that I'm arguing the sophist point of view. I'm usually such a Platonist.

mullitover

Postby mullitover » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Also,

"I am the eggman, they are the eggmen. I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob... And this is my counterpart, R2-D2" "Bleep-Bleep-B'Bloop"

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

I am James T. Kirk, Captain of the Federation starship Enterprise, and this is my counterpart R2-D2.

Moi, je suis Capitaine Jean-Luc Picard de la U.S.S. Enterprise, et ça c'est mon pendant R2-D2.

I am Locutus of Borg, and this is my counterpart R2-D2.

Works very nicely :D . Thank you for the great idea.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”