0712: "Single Ladies"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

oliphaunt

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Postby oliphaunt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:05 am UTC

aethon wrote:Sauron turned around and went and forged the three great elven rings with the elves in Eregion, who were lead by Celebrimbor.

I thought the Three were forged by Celebrimbor & co alone; the Seven and the Nine were forged by Sauron And His Elves, and the One was forged by Sauron alone...
ylno thgir ot tfel morf txet siht daer esaelp

J L

Postby J L » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:31 am UTC

unleash the unicorn wrote:I think this comic has made Pomplamoose Music a lot more popular.

(If you wanna know what I mean, search for "All the single ladies" on Youtube.)

Oh, thanks for pointing out. I love Pomplamoose Music, and haven't checked on them in a while. This particular song, however, is a nuisance :-) But maybe that's just me.

Jokes about Tolkien's ring & engagement have almost become a commonplace in German, since the translation of "One ring to rule them all" - "ein Ring, sie zu knechten" - is a bit ambiguous (it could also mean "one ring to rule her").

twarzoch

Postby twarzoch » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:05 am UTC

I just got engaged... Am i evil? Hm..

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 am UTC

Arvedui wrote:As hilarious as this was...

Gil-Galad throwing Sauron out of Lindon refers to the War between the Elves and Sauron. Sauron waged this war after the One Ring was created, in order to gain control of the Three Elvish Rings. Ergo, chronologically, the comic is very much incorrect.

Actually, it refers to the time when he was still friendly with the Elves in the guise of Annatar. "Only to Lindon he did not come, for Gil-Galad and Elrond doubted his fair-seeming, and though they knew not who in truth he was they would not admit him to that land." He was not so much thrown out as never let in, but that's not a big deal.

After that, Sauron counseled the Noldor in Eregion and taught them to make rings of power while he made his own to control them. Apparently he hoped they wouldn't find out, but as soon as he put it on "they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived that he would be master of them, and of all that they wrought." And that's when the war started.

What is chronologically questionable is that he's wearing that creepy iron mask, because before the war "his hue was still that of one both fair and wise." (Though in the privacy of his own home he might have found it comfortable.)

(I think I've geeked out enough for one post now.)

Edit: I just realized he's at a bar. Of course, there it makes perfect sense to wear that mask. Can you say "bad-ass babe magnet"? :P
Last edited by Arancaytar on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Timtu

Re: Single Ladies

Postby Timtu » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 am UTC

zyxuvius wrote:If Sauron had half a brain, he would have made two rings.

And if he had a quarter of a brain, he would have made four rings, etc.

jevans90

Postby jevans90 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:41 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:What is chronologically questionable is that he's wearing that creepy iron mask, because before the war "his hue was still that of one both fair and wise." (Though in the privacy of his own home he might have found it comfortable.)

(I think I've geeked out enough for one post now.)

I suspect that's just to identify stick-Sauron.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 am UTC

I would rather have Randall end with alt-text "Therefore, Beyonce is evilllll.", instead of that long paragraph.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

The good thing about this comic is that you don't have to read until the end to see the awful, awful joke; you can see it right from the first panel, and give up before it's too late.

JazzyG

Postby JazzyG » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

Will someone with some photoshop skills please make a Beyonce Nazgul!
"Never teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig" - anon

jeremy.degroot

Postby jeremy.degroot » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

JazzyG wrote:Will someone with some photoshop skills please make a Beyonce Nazgul!

Rule 34 says that because Randall wrote it, it must exist somewhere. Link when you find it please, I'd like to see it too.

webb.am

Postby webb.am » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

Gil-Galad throwing Sauron out of Lindon refers to the War between the Elves and Sauron. Sauron waged this war after the One Ring was created, in order to gain control of the Three Elvish Rings. Ergo, chronologically, the comic is very much incorrect.

Arda, the world of Middle-Earth, seems like it's supposed to be Earth at some point in far ancient history. Surely the fact that he's listening to Beyonce is the bigger temporal anomaly? :D

Czhorat

Postby Czhorat » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

Does anyone else see something slightly misogynistic here? If the point of Beyonce's song is that women should insist on the formal long term commitment represented by an engagement ring, then the comparison to the prototypical dark lord seems cruel at best. It feeds into the stereotype of the female as a cold, selfish manipulator.

Lunar Savage

Postby Lunar Savage » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

LMAO.

I love being a nerd. 8)
*Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb.

halcyon1234

Postby halcyon1234 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

Czhorat wrote:Does anyone else see something slightly misogynistic here? If the point of Beyonce's song is that women should insist on the formal long term commitment represented by an engagement ring, then the comparison to the prototypical dark lord seems cruel at best. It feeds into the stereotype of the female as a cold, selfish manipulator.

The women in the song profess an absolute inability to engage in any casual or short-term relationship. The end goal of any relationship they pursue is marriage, as if that is their own purpose in life-- to _be_ married. "Ring or GTFO".

The song itself is re-enforcing the negative stereotype. The comic just plays off that.
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

s0merand0mdude wrote:It's a comic strip. Please don't ruin it by saying it's not canon.

Just as a side note, I'm pretty sure it's not canon that Sauron went to strip clubs in a world where Beyonce existed.

PS ( and I don't think he was a stick figure. )
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

SorryBoringNickName

Postby SorryBoringNickName » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

*reads title* WTF?!
*reads comic* WAT
*reads last panel* uh.... WAT?
*5 seconds later, while reading the alt-text* FUKING LOL

Nice strip. I lol'd a lot, and it's kinda family-understandable.

I've always wondered how are such heavy heads sustained by the stickman's body... I mean, a normal head is ok, but a helmet??
Nothing to do, nowhere to go-oh

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

slflew wrote:
narenh wrote:Eru didn't create the dwarves... Aulë did!

In fact, Aule created the dwarves, but Eru gave them life....

huh? I remember the dwarves cowering as Aulë took up his hammer BEFORE Eru said he approved of them. So obviously they had life before Eru had anything to do with it.

Anyway, love the comic.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

myrcutio

Postby myrcutio » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

Just in case anyone doesn't know where all the uber-nerds are getting their information (since it's not from the LotR trilogy) Tolkien and his son wrote a mythos for Middle-Earth called The Silmarillion. It's actually a very dry, difficult to read text, and not very popular because of this. If you're really into Tolkien though, the theogony in the first section is pretty interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silmarillion
"Lightning must have hit it, and now it won't work in anything but Windows 95."

Faustus runs afoul of Microsoft.

ilaifire

Re: Single Ladies

Postby ilaifire » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

zyxuvius wrote:If Sauron had half a brain, he would have made two rings.

Well, in total he did create 17. Just that he made the first 16 of those with help.

ilaifire

Postby ilaifire » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:The good thing about this comic is that you don't have to read until the end to see the awful, awful joke; you can see it right from the first panel, and give up before it's too late.

I couldn't. I never heard the song before (or heard of Beyonce).

Jugulum

Postby Jugulum » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

Not only that, Beyonce only wrote "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" in 2008, so Sauron couldn't have been listening to it before he forged the Ring of Power in the first place.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:44 pm UTC

So wait, Beret guy is an acquaintance of Sauron?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

The_Barbarian

Postby The_Barbarian » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
slflew wrote:
narenh wrote:Eru didn't create the dwarves... Aulë did!

In fact, Aule created the dwarves, but Eru gave them life....

huh? I remember the dwarves cowering as Aulë took up his hammer BEFORE Eru said he approved of them. So obviously they had life before Eru had anything to do with it.

Eru gave them life as Aulë picked up the hammer. So they cowered, and Eru pointed this out to Aulë.

fealuinix

Postby fealuinix » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

s0merand0mdude wrote:It's a comic strip. Please don't ruin it by saying it's not canon.

And unfortunately, I have not yet got around to the weeked I have planned where I get to have a marathon of nerdy movies. The Matrix, followed by all three LOTR, and finally the original trilogy. The only one that wouldn't be the first time for me would be A New Hope.

Too bad they never made any sequels to The Matrix, otherwise you could watch a trilogy of trilogies!

As for the comic, I didn't really find it all that amusing...maybe it's because I'm not familiar with the Beyoncé song (I'd rather stick forks in my ears).
Last edited by fealuinix on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

Ok, this bumpersnicker probably exists:

SAURON IS ALIVE AND WELL
AND LIVING IN NEW ORK CITY

If it doesn't anyone's welcome to the idea...

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

Suaron having a drunk epiphany. priceless.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

weavrmom

Postby weavrmom » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

Aethon is correct about Aule creating the dwarves. Eru did not not give them life. Rather he knew what Aule was up to, and confronted him, chastising him for being impatient for Eru's beings to appear, and decreeing that the appearance of the dwarves must wait until Eru decided it was best. Eru ruled that they 'could not come forth before his chosen children, the Elves, who were to be the Firstborn. So though the Dwarves were full-wrought, Aule took them and laid them deeply under stone, and in this darkness the Seven Fathers of Dwarves slept many Ages before the Stars were rekindled and the Time of Awakening drew near."

Furthermore, Eru interrupted when Aule was teaching the Dwarves to speak, so they were already alive. Aule was going to smash the Dwarves, seemingly in accord with Eru's will, but Eru had mercy, and just delayed the appearance of the Dwarves.

Also: I have to say this is one of the funniest damn comics I have ever read! It brings out my inner LOTR nerd!

weavrmom

Postby weavrmom » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

Tolkien and his son wrote a mythos for Middle-Earth called The Silmarillion. It's actually a very dry, difficult to read text, and not very popular because of this.

Agreed that the text is tough to read.

However it is a fantastic audiobook. For some reason the writing is quite suited to the spoken word. MHO.

histumness

Postby histumness » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

I'm surprised nobody had mentioned this yet, but HijiNKS ENSUE did a comic last December with almost the exact same punchline.

I'm not saying Randall stole it or anything. I doubt he reads HE, and it's an obvious enough joke that I wouldn't doubt he just came up with it independently. I liked the HE comic better, but that might be just because I saw it first.

andrewwatterson

Postby andrewwatterson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

I wrote this awhile ago at work (yes, I get paid to do this), and I figured it was sufficiently related and to a nerdy enough audience to post. :)

All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
Now put your hands up…

Up in the NOC
With this new box,
We just tried Google and Bing.
A managed switch
But there's some glitch
When the router won't respond to me
Check the twisted pair -
Try to mount the share
Bossman calls and there's some tension
'Cause all my peers
Are out for beers
So this really comes down to me

// CHORUS //
It's not responding? You can try to run a 'ping' on it -
I-C-M-P, that's the way to run a 'ping' on it.
The packet loss is rising over ninety percent
It's not responding? You can try to run a 'ping' on it.

Whoa-oh-oh (oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh)

[CHORUS]

I got brand new chips
Mad Python scripts
And I manage several hundred machines.
The network's up,
"hey"s, "lol"s, and "sup"s
Are keeping the world in sync
We patch the last uplink, it starts to blink
So we're going to have a drink
That may cause concern,
But we had to learn
How to shell script in Bourne, Z, and C.

[CHORUS]

Whoa-oh-oh (oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh)

-a

Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

zyxuvius wrote:
wallacoloo wrote:Wow! How'd you guys travel 3 minutes into the future?

Anyways, I like all the random connections Randall's been making lately. Well, actually only the last 2 were like that, so I hope the next one is too!

Well, you see, I had a brother that died, and when he did, I felt the pain in my heart instantly...

What is that a reference to? It's bothering me, because it seems familiar but I can't recall...

Yarn

Postby Yarn » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

What andrewwatterson wrote

someone needs to make a recording of that.
*cough*

jseliger

Postby jseliger » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

A timeline:

0) World created
1) Morgoth fights the Elves
2) War of Wrath -- Morgoth forced out, Sauron temporarily humbled
3) Sauron wanders Middle-earth; according to the second edition of the Silmarillion (New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 2001),

Men [Saruon] found the easiest to sway of all the peoples of the Earth; but long he sought to persuade the Elves to his service, for he knew that the Firstborn had the greater power; and he went far and wide among them, and his hue was still that of one both fair and wise. Only to Lindon he did not come, for Gil-galad and ELrond doubted him and his fair-seeming, and though they knew not who in truth he was they would not admit him to that land (287).

So: Gil-galad tosses Sauron for very good reasons. Then he goes to Celebrimbor, one of Feanor's grandsons, finds a willing ear, and forges the rings of power. I'd call the drinking to be poetic license.

The_Barbarian

Postby The_Barbarian » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

weavrmom wrote:Aethon is correct about Aule creating the dwarves. Eru did not not give them life. Rather he knew what Aule was up to, and confronted him, chastising him for being impatient for Eru's beings to appear, and decreeing that the appearance of the dwarves must wait until Eru decided it was best. Eru ruled that they 'could not come forth before his chosen children, the Elves, who were to be the Firstborn. So though the Dwarves were full-wrought, Aule took them and laid them deeply under stone, and in this darkness the Seven Fathers of Dwarves slept many Ages before the Stars were rekindled and the Time of Awakening drew near."

Furthermore, Eru interrupted when Aule was teaching the Dwarves to speak, so they were already alive. Aule was going to smash the Dwarves, seemingly in accord with Eru's will, but Eru had mercy, and just delayed the appearance of the Dwarves.

Also: I have to say this is one of the funniest damn comics I have ever read! It brings out my inner LOTR nerd!

Stuff and nonsense. Everyone knows that Morgoth could not make new life, but *neither could the other Valar*. Only Eru could truly create living, intelligent beings (because he has the Allspark Flame Imperishable). When Aulë made the dwarves and was teaching them language, only his attention and will was animating them (rather like Alice and her dolls, if you know Touhou).

Hmm, Middle Earth+Transformers+Touhou. Sounds like one heck of a cross-over.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

andrewwatterson wrote:Awesome Stuff.

My jaw: ka-THUD.

:D
Dudes, I'm a woman.

Itsnotinmyidiom

Postby Itsnotinmyidiom » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

And in reading this today, I learned more about LOTR than I did whilst reading the trilogy. And I think I tried looking through Silmarillion, too...
I'll think of a signature eventually, I swear. It'll be funny and stuff!

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:So wait, Beret guy is an acquaintance of Sauron?

And more importantly, given that Sauron appeared with Elijah Wood, Hugo Weaving, et al, how does this affect people's Bacon Numbers?

Amora

Postby Amora » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

The lyrics to Single Ladies are completely out of order!
Bloody Orange lover.

Protector1

Postby Protector1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 am UTC

To those who were earlier complaining that LOTR is before Beyonce's time period, I would make the argument that if Star Wars was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, LOTR is a long time into the future and very close to home.
The phrase 'everything in moderation' is so true that you have to take moderation in moderation.
-Me or a friend of mine, we can't remember

Hexadecimator wrote:in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.

calenlily

Postby calenlily » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 am UTC

halcyon1234 wrote:
Czhorat wrote:Does anyone else see something slightly misogynistic here? If the point of Beyonce's song is that women should insist on the formal long term commitment represented by an engagement ring, then the comparison to the prototypical dark lord seems cruel at best. It feeds into the stereotype of the female as a cold, selfish manipulator.

The women in the song profess an absolute inability to engage in any casual or short-term relationship. The end goal of any relationship they pursue is marriage, as if that is their own purpose in life-- to _be_ married. "Ring or GTFO".

The song itself is re-enforcing the negative stereotype. The comic just plays off that.

I can't believe I'm defending this song (especially when there is LotR geekery afoot), but I believe the message is not "ring or GTFO", just "if you dump me, you have no right to object to my pursuing other relationships".

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”