0719: "Brain Worms"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Re: "Brain Worms" Discussion

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:40 am UTC

Man, if there's a brain parasite that messes with spatial reasoning in dreams, I must have like 6 of them. It's completely normal and EXTREMELY common in my dreams to, say, walk through a door and end up in a completely different place than the room it leads to, or walk through it and then walk BACK into a different room than I just came from. And this is not unusual in the slightest, until I wake up.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:41 am UTC

fealuinix wrote:4th E d i t: ...did some digging around the f o r u m s. Don't think I'll be around for another month. F U C K THAT SHIT.

I wonder if anyone should tell him that it ends tomorrow... XD

macrocephalic

Postby macrocephalic » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:45 am UTC

Yes I had the teeth one just the other day - I thought I was subconciously telling myself to go to the dentist; but now that I know everyone has it I'll put off my dentist visit.

Lucid dreaming is cool, and apparently you can teach yourself to do it. I tried, but the technique was messing with my sleep patterns, so I eventually just gave up.

If you're interested there's a forum about it http://www.dreamviews.com/

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:49 am UTC

picnic_crossfire wrote:Both of the pedals in my c0ar were accelerators in my dream last night.

I haven't had any of the other dreams, but this is one I've had. I've never had driving lessons, so I don't really know which one is the break and which one is the gas. I always dream my dad leaves the car, with the keys still in. I sit in the driver's seat, just for fun, and then I bump somthing. And the car starts rolling. I press a pedal... and it accelerates. I press another... it accelerates more. And in my dreams, car's are continually running, like in some video games - I can't just not touch anything and let it roll to a stop. Eventually, I end up navigating my way through many cars with experts skills, my heart racing, cops behind me, and somehow my dad is running and keeping up, yelling... best dream ever! Except then I crash and wake up.

P.S. - If I try the gear shift, it either accelerates or switches directions. Both bad.
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

PossibleSloth

Postby PossibleSloth » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:02 am UTC

Does this mean other people have had the dream where they're chased around their front yard by flying, hostile laundry detergent? Cause it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

The teeth-falling-out dream I blame on two years of braces.

MeltingCactus

Postby MeltingCactus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:18 am UTC

Quit listening in on my dreams!

I had no idea so many other people had the driving from the backseat and teeth falling out dreams. Freaky. Whenever I have a teeth dream I find myself brushing more vigorously. Those dreams are always disturbingly tactile. (I'm actually a pretty good backseat driver in my sleep, at least until I start to think about it.)

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:26 am UTC

I've totally had the "try to run but can't" dream.

I don't drive so I don't really have driving dreams.... I think I had the teeth falling out one a long time ago, though not sure.

My dreams tend to be recreations of what I did the previous day. Sometimes I have bizarre/awesome ones... one time I was supposed to save the world by throwing newspaper into a volcano, but decided to use said newspaper to become a power ranger (I was like 8 ).

Oops: Darn emoticons.
Last edited by Kaijyuu on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:27 am UTC

Last night I dreamed that I was caught up in a great big battle between cannibals and pirates. What does that mean?

Edit: Decided post needs more content.

Commonly reoccurring (and sometimes recurring) dreams for me include naked in public, plagues of snakes, teachers demanding overdue assignments for classes I graduated years ago and being stuck in a video-game style firefight with a gun that won't fire.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:59 am UTC

Hm, I must be clean; I've never had any of those. I do frequently have one where driving requires extreme physical exertion, as if I was having to pedal the car like a giant bicycle. I don't like that one...
[Signature pending...]

funda

Postby funda » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:04 am UTC

JoshuaZ wrote:....Toxoplasma for example is a very common parasite in humans and there's evidence that it actually does alter our behavior. See here. .... Parasites are weird.

Wikipedia wrote:Infected women were more likely to become more outgoing and showed signs of higher intelligence, while men became aggressive, jealous and suspicious.

Oh dear .... :?
Poorly updated Blog http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com
Yes, I will clean it up.... later
And badly maintained website :http://www.fundazone.com

Mjb

Postby Mjb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:19 am UTC

Oh, and the horror survival one.
Just one? Those used to be a staple for me. Werewolves could be fought, generally beaten. Vampires, not so much.
For some reason, horror dreams have centered entirely around those two. More surprising, it's all blood-free.

I've had maybe three, four dreams where I realized the truth and tried to modify. Way more frequently, I realize (generally if things are going really badly), and use the idea to kill the dream. Close the eyes, and it's over in a few seconds.

War dream involving missiles or other armed conflict?

hintss

Postby hintss » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:23 am UTC

now to try inducing Lucid Dreaming tonight. Should be fun :D

also, can sleep paralysis be induced?

Balesk Baj, Timeburner
Location: Wherever parallel dimension I'm currently living in...

Postby Balesk Baj, Timeburner » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:25 am UTC

I've never had any of those common dreams , like dreaming that your teeth fall out, trying to run but you can't, dreams related to school, etc. But maybe I dream them, but can't remember them after waking up.

Most of my dreams are weird, and the common ones that I had involve my body falling/about to be smacked/realizing something and my body suddenly ache or "vibrate", then waking up.

also: wordfilter mania is about to end? oh the horror!
Magnanimous wrote:I'd have a giant I Tetris piece shoved down my throat, after which my neck will flash and disappear.

hintss

Postby hintss » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:28 am UTC

cheesegrater madness is ending? :shock:
oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

chocolate.razorblades

Postby chocolate.razorblades » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:34 am UTC

I've had a few of these car dreams and teeth dreams. Never together though.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 am UTC

most of my dreams have spatial problems, like your house being extremely larger and ability to see myself in third person isometric view.

One chef showed me how to chop a clownfish. Is this extremely common?

Most of my dreams are weird, and the common ones that I had involve my body falling/about to be smacked/realizing something and my body suddenly ache or "vibrate", then waking up.
It's calledhypnic jerk.
Last edited by tastelikecoke on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:48 am UTC

In most of my dreams, I'm an omniscient narrator, who narrates exactly three seconds in advance of the progression of the dream. Sometimes without lucid dreaming.

Halrandir

Postby Halrandir » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:02 am UTC

I haven't had the driving dreams ever, and I haven't dreamed of my teeth falling out either. I have, however, dreamed of a nun from my elementary school's teeth falling out to reveal she has no tongue but instead has 6-7 different esophagi leading to different parts of her head and body. When she drank milk it started running out of her ears and tear ducts...what the hell does THAT mean?

My most frequent lucid dream, though, is one where I'm telekinetic and am protecting a lover from someone evil in an industrial warehouse, except my telekinesis eventually starts losing strength and the evil person just walks up and backhands me awake. I hate lucid dreaming.

JeromeWest

Postby JeromeWest » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:02 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I've had a dream about a Martian invasion... Although it was a "Martian" invasion in the sense that we invaded Mars. It wasn't that exciting; the only thing there was Doctor Manhattan.

You have a strange definition of "exciting".

"Well, we finally made it to the red planet. We were expecting an empty, lifeless world on which we could begin the long hard process of colonisation. As it was, all we found was a giant bloo glowing dude with his schlong out, who's completely omnipotent and can either grant our every wish or entirely wipe out humanity in the blink of an eye. Oh well."

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:48 am UTC

I hardly ever remember my dreams, but my brother does. He told me about a rather disturbing one he had where little black spiders burst out his ear, then marched down to start eating his face.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 am UTC

I find this comic oddly comforting, in that I had no idea the whole teeth-falling-out dream was common O_o
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 am UTC

I've had just about every* dream going. I also have been able to lucid dream for ages. It's quite amazing, but funny and frustrating when you fail. For example, if I'm trapped in a room, I might think "I'll just walk through the wall" but then bang my head on it. :lol:
But when it works, it's awesome. Like exploding an entire ninja/pirate ship, eating anything you like, or summoning the Delorian. Although, I'm going to have to work on getting my particle effects right on the flame trails...

*Although, thankfully I've not had any horrific or troublesome dreams. The kind that they lock you up for!
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:36 am UTC

These are common dreams? I've never dreamt them. Now I'm going to have to start asking people.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

finlay

Postby finlay » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:40 am UTC

I don't think I've of those. If I have a dream about driving the weirdest thing about the dream is that I can drive, anyway. (I should really get around to rectifying that...)

mjc0961

Postby mjc0961 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:58 am UTC

Phew, I'm safe! I always just dream of my brakes never working properly.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 pm UTC

Return of the Hobby strips!

These have always been some of my favorites, and I'm glad to see Randall hasn't given up on them!
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

unpredictable

Postby unpredictable » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

Is it just me or there are other people who feel Randall uses "My hobby" phrase too often?

00Davo

Postby 00Davo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:02 pm UTC

hintss wrote:now to try inducing Lucid Dreaming tonight. Should be fun :D

ALSO YOU GUYS: can sleep paralysis be induced?

Yeah, it's possible. You basically have to remain completely still for about forty-five minutes. Then the body gets convinced the brain is asleep, and switches itself off. Ding, sleep paralysis.

You can also use meditation and stuff for the same effect, since staying still for that long is ridiculously difficult.

Now to trigger the filters, (wait, they're not actually called "cheesegraters"?) since this is my first post since they went on! Randall I also EDIT: the mod god this makes exponentially no sense.

That was gorram fun. I think the also one is best. :)

brendan

Postby brendan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

Driving from the back seat!!
My big recurring dream. Mostly from the ages 15-25. Thought I was the only one.

I have heard that teeth-falling-out dreams means you're a grinder. Relax your jaw.

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

I don't have a license, so I've only (maybe a couple times) had a dream about driving a car. And feeling more respected.

Btw, before I read the description, I thought she was thinking that "Oh gоd..." with a you're-so-lame-please-go-away kind of voice. lоl

picnic_crossfire wrote:
Cecil wrote:I've never had either of those dreams, but I do often have dreams where I try to run fast but can't - like I'm trying to run in a swimming pool.

!!!! About 9/10 of my dreams involve this. It's getting quite old.

I used to have dreams of that sort, too. Haven't have any nightmares in quite a while though.

Isaac20

Postby Isaac20 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Is that why you're named Isaac? If you're working on Dead Space 2, that'd be awesome. :D

Nah, I'm named after the Golden Sun Isaac. I wish I were working on Dead Space 2. If I were, it would definitely be coming to the PC :x

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

unpredictable wrote:Is it just me or there are other people who feel Comrade Munroe uses "My hobby" phrase too often?

Any situation he didn't overuse it? Although It's amazing how randall is devoted to a lot of hobbies.

Pickaport

Postby Pickaport » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Guys and Gals, dreaming about falling teeth means excess masturbation.

Oh no, another google search to prove a point!

First time user here, cheers!

confuzedmuze

Postby confuzedmuze » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

Oh sweet Jeebus, I've had all of those dreams. It's nice to know I'm not alone in the teeth-falling-out horror. To the other toothless dreamers- Do your teeth grow back in your dreams? Because mine always do. I'm spitting teeth right and left, and freaking out, screaming and crying. "This isn't NORMAL! I'm not a shark!" :shock:

My dreams about failing brakes are limited to my dad's old Ford van. I refuse to drive it now, because I've seen my own fiery death far too many times. If I'm going to die in a horrible car wreck, I want the paramedics to be stunned.
"I didn't know you could do that in a hatchback"
"Yeah, but only in reverse."

"How the heck did she get way up THERE!?"

If the rescue sqad has to stop and take pictures before they can pull my mangled body from the smoking hulk of a car, I will consider my life well spent.

Otto

Postby Otto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Never had any of those. All my dreams involve flying or Jessica Alba. Except for that one that where I was flying WITH Jessica Alba... man, that was a good one...

Anyway, the "try to run but can't" is a standard sleep paralysis dream. If it happens to you a lot, then you're probably pretty close to being able to lucid dream. See when you go into REM sleep, the brain stem, where all your motor function goes through, shuts off all muscle movements. So you can dream without twitching and hurting yourself, basically. So when you dream about not being able to move, then that means you're aware that you can't actually move on some level, which means you're partially aware of your surroundings. It's a pretty short step from there to recognizing the dream state and becoming lucid during it.

Darksun

Postby Darksun » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

Man, what is WITH the teeth falling out dream? I used to get it all the time and still do occasionally, I can't think of a decent explanation for why it's so common.

Another one I have all the time is where I'm in School/College (I've since graduated uni) and I dream I can't remember the timetable and I have a class to go to, or I've missed out all the classes in a course for the entire year. I had this last night in fact. Tell me I'm not the only one to get this?

I would dream about swerving a car all over the road, but that's what I'm actually like behind the wheel :P

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

So, which brain worms are responsible for going to school or work naked, or forgetting to study for a test? Or showing up at school and not having the schedule?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

tgicountryboy

Postby tgicountryboy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

couple of years ago, I mentioned "that dream where my teeth fall out" while riding around with some friends. one of them freaked out, shouting "you have those too?" always funny to see how common it is.

tias42

Postby tias42 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

I have the not being able to run one lots, but I've only had the teeth falling out one once; I was at a meeting table with all the kids from my old school - I got up and they started to be loose so I had to hold on to them while I ran to the toilet. Quite disturbing really.

edit: Also, lol
Last edited by tias42 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Randomness

Postby Randomness » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

Is it the dream where your on a mountain with thousands of neaked women throwing pickles at you?

additional: worst dream ever- waking up after a school dream thinking it was Saturday only to find out my dream was prophetic down to what the idiots said to me... so boring. freakiest dream- dreaming my eyes were glass and that my iris shattered (don't sleep in contacts)

Saturday = s a t u r d a y

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”