0728: "iPad"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SorryBoringNickName

Re: "iPad" discussion

Postby SorryBoringNickName » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

M.qrius wrote:Actually, yesterday I saw a way better example of future technology that is available now. It actually made me go 'Wow, that's like one of those technologies that we hope to achieve in 20 years!'
Anyway, talking about the content aware fill. The research-oriented video is here (link). The cool thing is, this is integrated into photoshop CS5, which was released the 12th of April :)
Here's a video of the photoshop implementation (link).

GIMP, anyone? That feature it's been on GIMP FOR FUKING YEARS (as a plugin, tho)

Spoiler:
I gotta go to the dentist now, but when I come back Ill post the sauce.

DAMN THAT STUPID CS5 MAKES ME RAGE LIKE A MADMAN!

Back on topic:

When someone comments something like "the future is now" I always, ALWAYS remember this and cry because I want one so hard.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Also, iPad is solid shit.
Nothing to do, nowhere to go-oh

Lukeisheretic

Postby Lukeisheretic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

I donno about you guys but i've felt very very very disappointed with the past few months comics.
these jokes are not funny or clever
I feel like hes running out of ideas
i miss the comics that were like: http://xkcd.com/135/

Olclops

Postby Olclops » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Someone (why not me?) should point out that the ipad doesn't use google maps. It's apple's new proprietary map software. Fallout from the android wars.

richdun

Postby richdun » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

Olclops wrote:Someone (why not me?) should point out that the ipad doesn't use google maps. It's apple's new proprietary map software. Fallout from the android wars.

Nope. It's still Google. Look closely at the bottom left of each screenie.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/maps.html

It's a scaled up version of the iPhone Maps app, which is based on Google Maps and has been around since the first iPhone (i.e., pre-Android). It's possible Apple built it themselves, instead of getting Google to build it (if they ever did for the iPhone), but the maps are still definitely Google.

Forny

Postby Forny » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

SorryBoringNickName wrote:Back on topic:

When someone comments something like "the future is now" I always, ALWAYS remember this and cry because I want one so hard.

Spoiler:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't worry, there's still five or so years before that dream is completely crushed. :D

Killamus

Postby Killamus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

Is it just me, does the iPad still bring thoughts of a women's hygiene product?

Also, it blends.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

M.qrius wrote:Actually, yesterday I saw a way better example of future technology that is available now. It actually made me go 'Wow, that's like one of those technologies that we hope to achieve in 20 years!'
Anyway, talking about the content aware fill. The research-oriented video is here (link). The cool thing is, this is integrated into photoshop CS5, which was released the 12th of April :)

entropic wrote:does anyone know how much interpretation was needed for the visual cortex scan?
As far as I know, they showed them the individual 'pixels' first, and then recorded the brain activity. Then, when multiple pixels are turned on (making a letter or something), a statistical analysis was made to determine which brain activity modes were seen, and thus which pixels. This is all IIRC, you might wanna read the paper or something for verification.

No! That's amazing and horrid at the same time. I use to love doing all of that by hand. Now, with one click of the mouse, the computer does it. I can see the future involving me turning on the pc and it replies to all my emails, completes another level on Mass Effect 5, posts on the forum, does some photography and all this without me doing anything. :(
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Graucsh

Postby Graucsh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Killamus wrote:Is it just me, does the iPad still bring thoughts of a women's hygiene product?

Also, it blends.

Do you feel uncomforatable writing down your thoughts in a pad of paper?

Does the idea of skimming across a lake in a paddle boat make you think of napkins?

Should Sirius Black not have had the knickname Padfoot?

The first person I heard say that was some woman who was covering the iPad keynote on MSNBC. I thought "She's gonna troll this one good." I guess I was right.

Salviati

Postby Salviati » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

Monkeys controlling robots with their brains + Remote controlled rats = World domination through army of monkey-controlled cyborg rats

Killamus

Postby Killamus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

Graucsh wrote:Do you feel uncomfortable writing down your thoughts in a pad of paper?

Yes. My handwriting is so poor even I can't read it.

I don't get the paddle boat one. Although, when attached properly to a stick, I guess an iPad could make a good iPaddle....

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Fuckin' cyborgs, man. It's coming. I hate government waste, but if, once this has been perfected, the government proposed offering free taxpayer-funded cybernetic limbs to every amputee and handicapped person in the US, I'd vote for that shit SO HARD.

Vote for it? Hell, I'd cut off my own arm just to get one!
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

JayAr

Postby JayAr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:Fuckin' cyborgs, man. It's coming. I hate government waste, but if, once this has been perfected, the government proposed offering free taxpayer-funded cybernetic limbs to every amputee and handicapped person in the US, I'd vote for that shit SO HARD.

Vote for it? Hell, I'd cut off my own arm just to get one!

I wouldn't do that, do what the monkeys do just get a robot that does exactly what you do. Or at the very least get the cybernetic limb grafted(welded?) to your chest or somewhere else

test: :mrgreen:
nyeguy wrote:Bacon isn't a sin. It clogs your arteries and brings you to god faster.

I actually truly failed the Turing Test

TheShrike

Postby TheShrike » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

richdun wrote:Damn, missed the post by that much.

That's what I get for trying to post it using an iPad. Had to cheat and view the title text on a different computer. Amazingly, though, the image URL copying made putting the post together very easy.

Create a bookmark with this for the URL:

Code: Select all

javascript:function%20getEl()%7Bvar%20ev%20=%20arguments%5B0%5D%20%7C%7C%20window.event,origEl%20=%20ev.target%20%7C%7C%20ev.srcElement;alert(origEl.title);%7Ddocument.onclick%20=%20getEl;

Edit:
This displays the title text for the image when you click on it.

Also, pointing out your lack of geek cred is my first post. Sorry. We can still be friends.
Last edited by TheShrike on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xmrsmoothx

Postby xmrsmoothx » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:46 am UTC

Yes. i was wating for a comic about the iPad.
I LOVE having a signature. It makes my post that much bigger.

richdun

Postby richdun » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:00 am UTC

TheShrike wrote:Also, pointing out your lack of geek cred is my first post. Sorry. We can still be friends.

Lack of geek cred, or mere laziness?

What? Stop giving me that "Yeah, sure" look.

Whatever. I don't need to know how to make title text bookmarklets. I have an iPad. It's magical.

:cry:

WestfW

Postby WestfW » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:18 am UTC

I want to die like they do in sci-fi!
A really glamourous death, a really famous last breath
I want to die like they do in sci-fi!
I want to do something new, if it's the last thing I do

http://brookelunderville.bandcamp.com/t ... -in-sci-fi

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:24 am UTC

I always keep wondering why everything that they say FUTURE has been done,

yet none of the predicted futures become very widespread to the whole world. Internet, was it predicted to happen? iPhone? They say from the 70's that the world will soon replace cars with helicopters. Turns about helicopters are just damn risky with the blades.

Mind-reading might be a hard future to reach, but how about verbal thoughts? (say it, In your Mind type)

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:11 am UTC

SorryBoringNickName wrote:

GIMP, anyone? That feature it's been on GIMP FOR FUKING YEARS (as a plugin, tho)

That's what I found a while after reading about that in CS5, so I downloaded GIMP and the plugin to try it, and it turns out it bloody sucks compared to the photoshop feature as seen in the videos! Okay, for very small patches, on a background with no repeating pattern, it works fine, I'll give you that, but in a lot of cases it just produces garbage, where the content aware fill produces nice results. For example:
In this video, at 1:28, they remove a line from the face of a building (link).
I tried to do the same with GIMP and resynthesizer, and here are the results:
Spoiler:
before1.jpg

after1.jpg

Or how about that power plant they do at 3:16?
Spoiler:
before2.jpg

Please click the next image to zoom in.
after2.jpg

Do I need to say more?

SorryBoringNickName

Postby SorryBoringNickName » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

VERY LONG QUOTE, OPEN AT YOUR OWN RISK.
M.qrius wrote:
Spoiler:
SorryBoringNickName wrote:

That's what I found a while after reading about that in CS5, so I downloaded GIMP and the plugin to try it, and it turns out it bloody sucks compared to the photoshop feature as seen in the videos! Okay, for very small patches, on a background with no repeating pattern, it works fine, I'll give you that, but in a lot of cases it just produces garbage, where the content aware fill produces nice results. For example:
In this video, at 1:28, they remove a line from the face of a building (link).
I tried to do the same with GIMP and resynthesizer, and here are the results:
[spoiler]
before1.jpg

after1.jpg

Or how about that power plant they do at 3:16?
Spoiler:
before2.jpg

Please click the next image to zoom in.
after2.jpg

Do I need to say more?[/spoiler]

First, after lurking a while (long while) I couldn't find where the hell I originally read it (you can find many sources now, but I wanted the original, damn me and my perfectionism). /me is angry.

Second, yeah, you don't need to say more, the GIMP version kinda sucks and I admit it, but still, it was there first.
Like the classical troll.
FIRST!!!
Nothing to do, nowhere to go-oh

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

Fuck em iiIii.

MrCode

Postby MrCode » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Remote controlled rats

That's...unnerving. It brings to question the concept of free will. I mean, I know that the rats have a choice, and they may not respond immediately, but the way it's described in that article is as if they're being fooled into thinking that they're bumping into obstacles — something that is hard for something like a rat to know whether it's real or not. I know I wouldn't like being manipulated on such a base level like that...even if I knew the difference.

Makes me wonder...are we so different? Could we be controlled on such a base level that our "free will" wouldn't be able to override it?

I'd like to think that I'm free... :cry:

Still, it makes me start to think that comics like "Freedom" are utterly pointless. I'm not sure, though, maybe I'm just taking this whole thing the wrong way...please?
Last edited by MrCode on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:36 am UTC

MrCode wrote:
Makes me wonder...are we so different? Could we be controlled on such a base level that our "free will" wouldn't be able to override it?

I'd like to think that I'm free... :cry:

Of course we can be controlled in such a base level. We can be subjected to a gamut of horrors that is beyond imagination. We count on society at large to protect us from it. It's harder to fool everybody all the time.
Chaos Reigns!

MrCode

Postby MrCode » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 am UTC

Of course we can be controlled in such a base level. We can be subjected to a gamut of horrors that is beyond imagination. We count on society at large to protect us from it. It's harder to fool everybody all the time.

Okay, but what I'm asking is: does that completely undermine the notion of freedom? True freedom? As in the "I could punch someone in the face in the middle of a normal conversation" kind of freedom? I'm guessing not, because as long as you aren't under that control, then you are the one in control, but I'm still rather shaky about it...

EDIT: I get the feeling there's a thread like this in SB...

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:08 am UTC

MrCode wrote:Okay, but what I'm asking is: does that completely undermine the notion of freedom? True freedom? As in the "I could punch someone in the face in the middle of a normal conversation" kind of freedom? I'm guessing not, because as long as you aren't under that control, then you are the one in control, but I'm still rather shaky about it...

EDIT: I get the feeling there's a thread like this in SB...

free will is not that hard to destroy. tie yourself, gag and handcuff. Congratulations. A Neurologist hit your head with a guitar. Congratulations. The thing is, freedom works because of choices. A very good neurologist suddenly wired you to see the world as if you are always eating bacon. It's not that different.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”