0730: "Circuit Diagram"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dwasifar

Re: "Circuit Diagram" Discussion

Postby dwasifar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

Anyone else notice that the two batteries have opposite polarities?

StonySpider

Postby StonySpider » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

dwasifar wrote:
I didn't, and it's due to a pungent mnemonic taught to me and the rest of my Basic Electronics class when I was a high school freshman.

0 - Bad (black)
1 - Boys (brown)
2 - Rape (red)
3 - Our (orange)
4 - Young (yellow)
5 - Girls (green)
6 - But (blue)
7 - Violet (violet, duh)
8 - Gives (gray)
9 - Willingly (white)

That should give you an idea of how long ago I went to high school. A public school teacher offering this mnemonic today would be flayed alive. But, for better or worse, it did stick with me, and as far as I know, Mr. Gene Spratt retired with his skin still attached.

0 - Bad (black)
1 - Boys (brown)
2 - Rape (red)
3 - Only (orange)
4 - Young (yellow)
5 - Girls (green)
6 - But (blue)
7 - Very (violet, duh)
8 - Good (gray)
9 - Women (white)
- Get (gold)
- Sex (silver)

You'll be glad to know that I'm currently in high school, and no one would even think about flaying Paul Vickers alive. :P

z-bot

Postby z-bot » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

The Solder Blob is the most awesome part. Just today, one of my co-workers sat in front of the oscilloscope, looking puzzled, and asked why the heck all the signals looked different. This was when another co-worker suggested to solve the problem by placing a big solder blob acrorss the entire circuit board.

The 666 timer is cool, too.

meat.paste

Postby meat.paste » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

Any guesses about the 11 kg inductor by the batman signal?
Huh? What?

z-bot

Postby z-bot » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

ATCG wrote:Needs a WOM.

Thanks for mentioning this. It's great.

It's also very good that parasitics are mentioned ("wire just does this"), because there are Lies, Damn Lies and Schematics (S. Maniktala, Troubleshooting switching power converters, p. 33), because "a schematic hides more than it reveals".

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

Alright Randall, two things.

1. I don't see "Magic" and "More Magic" switches. Tsk, tsk.
2. If I see this diagram on my Physics final, I'll kill you. And then I'll make the comic in your place, and it will SUCK because I cannot be funny on a 3-day-per-week basis.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

insom

Postby insom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Am I the only one that found the arena funny not because of any possible references but for the fact that the diodes make sure two currents go in, but only one comes out?
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome

z-bot

Postby z-bot » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

insom wrote:Am I the only one that found the arena funny not because of any possible references but for the fact that the diodes make sure two currents go in, but only one comes out?

Thanks for explaining. Now I get it.

Also: "Two currents" is way funny.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

I can't believe nobody has yet figured out what it does: It's a time machine. It even has a flux capacitor.
keithc wrote:
elendia wrote:The lack of a particular observation galled me so much that I created an account to post it.

Anyone see the "1 mile" scale bar at the upper left corner? This thing is HUGE.... :shock:

Plus the fact that the way it is drawn 1 mi = 1 km, so some serious warping of space going on.
I figured that was a discrete/binary mathematics joke of some sort.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

dwasifar

Postby dwasifar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 pm UTC

StonySpider wrote:6 - But (blue)
7 - Very (violet, duh)
8 - Good (gray)
9 - Women (white)
- Get (gold)
- Sex (silver)

Aren't gold and silver reversed in that, though? No band = 20% tolerance, silver band = 10% tolerance, gold band = 5% tolerance, if memory serves.

LOL, I went to look that up, and I ran across this: http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Resistor_Codes#A_note_to_PC_fascists

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

Does anyone else want to see this on a t-shirt?
"xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!" - by lmjb1964

Swif

Postby Swif » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Reminds me of some of the Pokemon gyms.

Okapi

Postby Okapi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 am UTC

insom wrote:Am I the only one that found the arena funny not because of any possible references but for the fact that the diodes make sure two currents go in, but only one comes out?

I actually caught that immediately. I didn't find it hugely funny, but figured it was fairly obvious.

My favourite is a reference to a much earlier xkcd--The grid of resistors.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 am UTC

I've been trying to figure this out, but nothing has come to me: what is that component directly below the magic smoke and directly above the mass of 1Ω resistors?
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Anomaly

Postby Anomaly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:33 am UTC

This comic could not have been more hilariously timed.

I just spent a least 50 hours over the last 3 days (1 hour of sleep average per day yeahhh) in lab for my Microelectronics class, and wouldn't you know after looking at so many circuit diagrams and circuit boards to try and identify possible shorts while debugging, circuit diagrams may as well consist of all these things. 666 timer made me laugh way too much, making oscillators with the 555 is a pretty hellish experience.

Anyone know if Randall is just trying to be subtle or did he unintentionally label all those springs as resistors? Because that's a big win if it was planned, I still twitch a little when I see resistors drawn like that.

Hats off to you for so successfully nerd sniping me Randall

P.S. I think the thing between the resistor mass and magic smoke is the little bauble fishermen put on their lines that floats on the water surface so they can see where their bait is (approximately). He's making a reference to the entire joke being nerd baiting as far as I can tell. Of course I could be completely wrong, and given that I'm on 1 hour of sleep a day for the last 3 days, it's quite likely I'm overthinking it a great deal.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:48 am UTC

Anomaly wrote:P.S. I think the thing between the resistor mass and magic smoke is the little bauble fishermen put on their lines that floats on the water surface so they can see where their bait is (approximately). He's making a reference to the entire joke being nerd baiting as far as I can tell.

Aha! That makes sense. Thanks.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

xctrigeek11

Postby xctrigeek11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:51 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:I've been trying to figure this out, but nothing has come to me: what is that component directly below the magic smoke and directly above the mass of 1Ω resistors?

im pretty sure its a fishing bobber

edit: oops too late

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:56 am UTC

The thing under the magic smoke looks like a floater to me. You know, it keeps the bait from sinking too far?
EDIT: I'm really late on this then.

I sadly succumbed to the resistor blob. I know it's already been mentioned, but the equivalent resistance is .7479 ohms. This is equal to 1.337 mhos. I'm impressed.

I'm still trying to work out how the transistor (with an extra emitter instead of a collector) would work. Loving the knotted piece of wire.

msittig

Postby msittig » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:20 am UTC

I sadly succumbed to the resistor blob. I know it's already been mentioned, but the equivalent resistance is .7479 ohms. This is equal to 1.337 mhos. I'm impressed.

NFW *speechless*

fewfriesshort

Postby fewfriesshort » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 am UTC

So I hand calculated 265mOhms as the resistance blob... then I wanted to check my answer like a good little wannabe technologist:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... =595370268

If anyone asks, I'm studying for theory :P

fewfriesshort

Postby fewfriesshort » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 am UTC

PS If you don't know how to do Kirchoff's law calculations, the answer came out to about 1.97 ohms, far cry from my 265 mOhms... but this is assuming I hooked up the multisim right...

11th commandment of electronics: Thou shalt not assume

and on a completely unrelated note:

7th commandment of electronics: Anything can be done with a 741. If it can't be done with one, USE TWO!

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:10 am UTC

I think the little spherical thing is a Pokeball...

and the rodent is actually Mew (maybe Mewtwo)...

I had a really, really nice list typed out explaining everything, and I was hoping that everyone would expand it, add to it, re-post it... but it didn't get registered as a post from some reason. And it took too long for me to do it again. Anyone else? :D

And no, I'm not a pokemon nerd, that's just what they looked like.
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:31 am UTC

dwasifar wrote:Or were you talking about commercial appliances?
It'd have to be a damn big washer - the motor's the only real power draw.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

youhere

Postby youhere » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:37 am UTC

Maniac wrote:Am I the only one who can't read wimp without thinking of SUSY?

Nope I thought of dark matter when I saw that and was glad that I didn't have to connect up the wire.

Hiroe

Postby Hiroe » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:54 am UTC

Reminiscent of the Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz: http://lostinthecloud.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/faeries-aire.gif

andrewxc

Postby andrewxc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:57 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:
HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:
Doodle77 wrote:Anyone who gets the arena joke is definitely a nerd.

Someone fill me in.

Tron. Or at least that's what I got.

There IS a really awesome Tron reference: Bottom-middle, right of the bulb, just above "3 Liters" :
The resistor that says "Yes".

I love Bit.
"We never do anything well unless we love doing it for its own sake."
Avatar: I made a "plastic carrier" for Towel Day à la So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

andrewxc

Postby andrewxc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:00 am UTC

Does anyone know what the connections are in the bottom-left corner?
It looks like something out of The Phantom Tollbooth.
"We never do anything well unless we love doing it for its own sake."
Avatar: I made a "plastic carrier" for Towel Day à la So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:41 am UTC

Kirby wrote:I sadly succumbed to the resistor blob. I know it's already been mentioned, but the equivalent resistance is .7479 ohms. This is equal to 1.337 mhos. I'm impressed.

Me too. Assuming it is 1.337 mhos (shouldn't that be smho?) It's easy enough to solve the problem (well, not really), but to create it? Randall should be doing things more important than webcomics, like working for NASA or something. Oh wait, he does...

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:56 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Me too. Assuming it is 1.337 mhos (shouldn't that be smho?) It's easy enough to solve the problem (well, not really), but to create it? Randall should be doing things more important than webcomics, like working for NASA or something. Oh wait, he does...

Technically, the inverse ohm is the siemen. But they came up with that a while after electrical engineers decided that it would be mhos. Reverse the singular, then add an s, I suppose.

Anyways, even back-designing something like that would give me trouble. In fact, it'd probably be easier for me to calculate every possible arrangement of resistors (this number would be very large), and see if one of those possibles is what I'm looking for. But maybe I'm just inclined to go for overkill.

joplju

Postby joplju » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Um... I hate to be a nit-pick, but I'm going to add my own brand of nerdiness to the mix here...

That warm front isn't a warm front. That's actually the symbol for a dry line.

jslegers

Postby jslegers » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:02 am UTC

...So, I too confirmed the resistor blob value of 25265/33783 ohms using MATLAB symbolics and a reduced admittance-matrix [Zeq = (Ynn - (Ynr Yrr^-1 Yrn))^-1]. As mentioned above, this rounds to ~0.7479 ohms. And, while I appreciate the sentiment, It can only be ROUNDED to 1.337 mhos, and that likely happened by accident. Also, I now have an unmitigated desire to form a band called L337 Mhos.

You would likely not be interested to know that, for 5% normally-distributed resistors, this equivalent resistance would be ~ 0.7479 +- 0.0065 ohms. For 1% resistors, it would be +-0.0013 ohms. This comes from simulation in MATLAB.

Just thought I'd weigh in.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:39 am UTC

dwasifar wrote:
exoren22 wrote:
TheoGB wrote:I don't really get it. But I like the UK-centric 240V AC.

That's all I've got.

Actually, it's not UK centric, as that's what high-voltage appliances run on in the US. Think laundry/dish washers, etc.

Where do you live that your washing machine and dishwasher are 240? Mine are both 120. The only things in my house that run on 240 are the oven and the central air.

Or were you talking about commercial appliances?

Perhaps this explains why blue smoke keeps coming out of exorn22's appliances.
/snarky_comment

joplju wrote:Um... I hate to be a nit-pick, but I'm going to add my own brand of nerdiness to the mix here...

That warm front isn't a warm front. That's actually the symbol for a dry line.

Uber-nerd! I bow at your awesomeness.
-------------------------------
So, I read this at work this morning and then got my co-workers reading it. Well, actually, I truly LOL'ed and they crowded around my bench in curiosity. Great fun. Especially love the 666 timer and the smoke. At first, I thought the flux capacitor was one of the pipe-paths in the DropLitz game.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

nagromo

Postby nagromo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:56 am UTC

So did anybody else solve the resistor mess by drawing it on a piece of paper and doing repeated delta-wye transforms with an erasor, simplifying the diagram? I only used Maxima to do individual delta-wye and wye-delta transforms; the rest was on paper.

It's amazing how complicated it was. Before I got to 25265/33783, the previous step was (63839824516/224823028125)+((60690038322906129852/58682722785901440625)//(5363380846496181726/8383246112271634375))+(7678951/111864601) (where // means parallel)! I was surprised it collapsed down so nicely at the end.

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:24 am UTC

exoren22 wrote:
TheoGB wrote:I don't really get it. But I like the UK-centric 240V AC.

That's all I've got.

Actually, it's not UK centric, as that's what high-voltage appliances run on in the US. Think laundry/dish washers, etc.

actually, in US, really only electric ranges and ovens, and Drying machines use 240...

jslegers

Postby jslegers » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:28 am UTC

nagromo wrote:So did anybody else solve the resistor mess by drawing it on a piece of paper and doing repeated delta-wye transforms with an erasor, simplifying the diagram? I only used Maxima to do individual delta-wye and wye-delta transforms; the rest was on paper.

That was my first instinct, but it looked like it would take forever. Props for the effort.

Admittance-matrix reduction is something I'd dealt with in my power systems engineering courses, and it involved only one step. So, I used that.

Wetmelon

Postby Wetmelon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:34 am UTC

jspenguin wrote:Anyone who laughs at the 666 timer is a nerd.

I'm a nerd :(

Well, it's one better, isn't it? It's not fives. You see, most blokes, you know, will be using a 555 timer. You're on fives here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on fives on your chip. Where can you go from there? Where? Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? Put it up to sixes. Exactly. One better.

Did you seriously just throw Spinal Tap into an EE comic? That's just disgusting. Lol.

Also, has any1 noticed that the scale

1 mi = 1 km? NOT POSSIBLE.

didn't, and it's due to a pungent mnemonic taught to me and the rest of my Basic Electronics class when I was a high school freshman.
That should give you an idea of how long ago I went to high school. A public school teacher offering this mnemonic today would be flayed alive. But, for better or worse, it did stick with me, and as far as I know, Mr. Gene Spratt retired with his skin still attached.

About as long ago as my dad... so... graduated university in '72?
Last edited by Wetmelon on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Stealth

Postby Stealth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:43 am UTC

Woo... first decloaking on these forums here.

Still reading through the schematic and still trying to figure out the transfer characteristic for the entire circuit, assuming the solar input and antenna output. Bless you, signal processing nerdity.

By the way, the crowd at theTalkBass forum took notice of the diagram. So far there's debate whether it's a PLL or a Geiger counter, my money's on some kind of weird, solar-controlled phaser. What sparks the most debate is what kind of scarab would give the best tone. :D

Any chance of ever getting this in wallpaper dimensions? Randall?

mamcd8

Postby mamcd8 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 am UTC

Does this comic remind anyone of Hex? The thinking machine in Terry Pratchett's books? As Hex is sort of supposed to be a computer, I think, but has an ant farm built in and other things.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:55 am UTC

I'm a serious electronics geek, and I loved the "arduino just for blog cred", the "120 ohm or to taste" resistor (half of designing any electronics seems to be what is to your taste, with regards to choosing resistors and capacitors), and the hot glue (use it all the time!)
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

reevey

Postby reevey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
pgn674 wrote:
hthall wrote:Title-text: I just caught myself idly trying to work out what that resistor mass would actually be, and realized I had self-nerd-sniped.
Can't believe no one linked to the referenced comic already: xkcd: Nerd Sniping

Yes but it only counts as nerd sniping if he dies a horrible death as a result.

Does that make this comic the L4ST P0ST?

P.S. Spinal Tap quoters, I salute you.
** Money can't buy you friends, but you get a better class of enemy. ~ Spike Milligan **

** It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase "As pretty as an airport" appear. ~ Douglas Adams **

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”