0735: "Floor"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: "Floor" Discussion

Postby Alder » Mon May 03, 2010 9:20 am UTC

philipppixel wrote:heheh, the props really look like calvin & hobbes furniture. Nice touch!

That was what it reminded me of! Also the FWOOSH...
...ah, Calvin and Hobbes. Those were the days...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.
Alder
pro-Shrub

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon May 03, 2010 10:07 am UTC

I seem to remember a sort of general "Don't touch the floor"-game that usually came with the motivation that it was made of lava.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby urobythos » Mon May 03, 2010 10:21 am UTC

Many times this game I have played, as child.
urobythos

Postby bobfish » Mon May 03, 2010 10:58 am UTC

I am not ashamed to say that I played this game with my cousins last month.
bobfish

Postby oxy » Mon May 03, 2010 11:25 am UTC

thanksbastards wrote:
skine wrote:I'm honestly not sure if I played "the floor is lava" when I was a kid.

We did play "don't touch the stones," seeing as our playground was of the type with large wooden structures surrounded by the tiny stones that always got in your shoes. I guess we just weren't that creative.

The playground looked something like this:
Spoiler:

wait waitwait. is that playground a bloody kit?!? I thought it was the one and only super cool playground dubbed "castle park" in my youthfull, blissfull days. I thihnk it was in lexington? we could only go there if we were ever so lucky. If there is more than one my joy may be deminished, and when that happens I will resort to arson to reset the balance of my mind!

I played floor is lava at one of those too...
oxy

Postby mjc0961 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:52 am UTC

laylaholic wrote:Ooh I love this game! Can I be Tommy Lee Jones? :D

Volcano is such a good bad movie...

Oh good, I thought I would be the only one who saw that and instantly thought of Volcano.

Dibs on detonating the dynamite in the giant new skyscraper! :mrgreen:
mjc0961

Postby Technical Ben » Mon May 03, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Kaijyuu wrote:I only ever played this at the sandbox during recess. I'd collect imaginary powerups like lava boots and a lava kayak with the ultimate goal of getting back to the school (and thus be safe).

I'd also play a similar version with my text books. You want me to read that? Huh, much more fun to think of each letter as a platform, each punctuation as a different power up, and imagine it as a giant interactive maze!
Oh, I also played lava floor. But I took a couple of lava proof cushions with me for easy navigation. :P
Thanks Randall!
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.
Technical Ben

Postby ThemePark » Mon May 03, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:I've always been amazed of how international this game is, since I first played it when I was about 6yo and I'm from Argentina...(and the only time I remember seeing it on tv was in a Simpsons episode that aired just a few years ago...)

Never heard of a lava version. Here in Denmark, it's mostly just that the ground is poisonous.
Last edited by ThemePark on Mon May 03, 2010 1:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3
ThemePark

Postby snowyowl » Mon May 03, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

NMcCoy wrote:Randall, get out of my weekly game/Ludum Dare 17 entry. :D

(wish my LD entry did that... :D)
The preceding comment is an automated response.
snowyowl

Postby neoliminal » Mon May 03, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

We always played sharks, with lots of cushions on the floor to flow you around. I'm sure now they simply vote each other into the lava.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/214255
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]
neoliminal

Postby xepher » Mon May 03, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

00Davo wrote:And here I was expecting some form of convection shielding. The stuff's molten rock. Convection will have fried the poor kids almost instantly. :(

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... monvection
I think they'll survive.
xepher

Postby etotheipiplusone » Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

Did anyone else have the five second rule where you were able to run around in the lava? Although a little unorthodox, it certainly made getting around easier.
etotheipiplusone

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

about TvTropes, how exactly boring it is to be chased by a gray dull and dangerous hot smoke and rocks. First of all, you can't outrun it without a car. Second, you can't see anything through it. Third, it instantly kills you in an uncool way.

But then there's volcano concrete, lahar, water and pyroclastic material sweeps through the floor and makes a new pavement. Fun stuff fun stuff.
tastelikecoke

Postby marcoman » Mon May 03, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

My 4 year old son plays this game, and we have to walk on carpets (at home), different colored tiles (at stores/malls), or lines (parking lots).

I have no idea where he learned about lava and its destructive effects. According to my 4-year old, different shoes help.
marcoman

Postby nowhereman » Mon May 03, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

I loved the floor is lava game. We would throw pillows and cushions on the floor so that we would have safe places to walk on. Stangely it never occurred to me that those same safe cushions would... I don't know burn.
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein
nowhereman

Postby Sprocket » Mon May 03, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

:-D
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby sje46 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

marcoman wrote:My 4 year old son plays this game, and we have to walk on carpets (at home), different colored tiles (at stores/malls), or lines (parking lots).

I have no idea where he learned about lava and its destructive effects. According to my 4-year old, different shoes help.

All children are born with the inherent fear of imaginary lava.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby westrim » Mon May 03, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

mjc0961 wrote:

Oh good, I thought I would be the only one who saw that and instantly thought of Volcano.

Being a parody of Volcano was kinda the point...
westrim

Postby EthErealist » Mon May 03, 2010 4:11 pm UTC

I really like this comic :D
EthErealist

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Mon May 03, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

Game? Who said it was a game? When I was young (back when dinos roamed the earth), the floor did turn into lava. At least that is what my mom would tell me when it was nap time.

Hmmm ... just got this really sad feeling :( . I realized that my imagination has lain dormant for nearly 40 years. :cry: Being a grup is a bummer.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....
XbHW_TestEngr

Postby VapidFrobie » Mon May 03, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

Wow, I thought my sister and I had invented this game. We would always play lava at home, but at school it was sharks, usually with other kids playing the sharks. It had sort of zombie tag rules; you get bitten, or even touched, you're a shark. Sharks can't go on the playground equipment. That is, unless they turned into a MEGA MUTANT ULTRA SHARK THAT CAN RUN ONTO THE SHIP AND KILL US ALL!!!1!

God, elementary was so fun.
VapidFrobie

Postby GunJack » Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

SorryBoringNickName wrote:Hot lava??

Naive

When I was a child it was "pichí caliente" (hot pee).

for me it was hot lava, since we could clearly see a volcano from our window...

PS1: what's with the "we" Randall??
PS2: dude(SBNN)...are you chilean???
Don't protest against my methods, if you want to continue living of my results
GunJack

Postby Kimmeh » Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

I've played this too.
I've also played this within the last few months.
Got some weird looks from my mom when I threw down couch cushions so that I could go to the bathroom.... :roll:
Kimmeh

Postby Muffinman42 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

I sometimes decide to try to get about without touching the floor or useing pillows.
Muffinman42

Postby Mavrisa » Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

I used to play this in my hallway all the time (and sometimes still do). We have stone tiles in the hall and they're all generally reddish orange. Some are darker though so I pretend as if those are slightly less hot (but still hot so I had to move fast)... there's one section without any for several rows and it is quite treacherous when in socks.. That's when I learned to walk on baseboards for a couple of seconds at a time...
Kimmeh wrote:Got some weird looks from my mom when I threw down couch cushions so that I could go to the bathroom.... :roll:
I know what you mean :D
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."
Mavrisa

Postby bmonk » Mon May 03, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

joee wrote:Where did they get the detonator from? Does everyone have cooler toys than me? :(

Maybe he got it from the Hardware store near Calvin's house. Didn't they have flamethrowers and dynamite?

I see some others noted the Calvin connection too...

And then there's this:
marcoman wrote:My 4 year old son plays this game, and we have to walk on carpets (at home), different colored tiles (at stores/malls), or lines (parking lots).

Too much History (or Discovery) channel?

Of course, if you've got Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (CDO, properly alphabetized), it's not a game... :?
"The position was well put indeed in a famous speech by Jzbl to the graduates of the Central Saturnian University, when he said that it was a source of great pride to him that although hardly anybody knew anything any longer, everybody now knew how to find out everything."
bmonk

Postby leonard3314 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

Honestly, it hasn't been all that long since i've played this game. we played it similar to ....
squareroot wrote:I remember playing this so much just last year! (I'm young for these forums.)

Here it's generally called "Hot Lava Monster", and it's a more variation on tag than anything else. One player is the monster, and they can only walk on the lava (also, part of the play structure's rim is usually a different color, they can try to climb on that too, but it's very very difficult and slightly dangerous). The rest of us are only allowed to touch the lava for 3 seconds at a time. The Lava Monster tries to tag us.

Once I cam up with a cheat where people take off their jackets, move forward for 2 seconds, and then jump back on their jackets. It was a very cheap way of crossing. Eventually it got banned by... the playground mods? :P

we usually set up a playground with picnic tables and other sweet obstacles to make it so we could jump from one part of the playground to the other. The game almost always ended with someone getting seriously injured, but that never stopped us.

Come on i grew up in South Dakota give me a break.
leonard3314

Location: i think its called "Seattle"....something like that

Postby Edrees » Mon May 03, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

HAHAH great comic!!! Love this one. Alt text was cherry on top too.
Edrees

Postby Litof » Mon May 03, 2010 10:46 pm UTC

westrim wrote:
mjc0961 wrote:

Being a parody of Volcano was kinda the point...

I never quite understood how everyone survived without masks on. Volcanic ash, and all.

At any rate, nice comic.
Litof

Postby JayAr » Tue May 04, 2010 1:00 am UTC

I played this game with my sister, we would play until the other one failed. We had a game that lasted two days :D .
nyeguy wrote:Bacon isn't a sin. It clogs your arteries and brings you to god faster.

I actually truly failed the Turing Test
JayAr

Postby jahwn lemonjello » Tue May 04, 2010 1:35 am UTC

This is one of those games that no one is ever really told about, yet somehow everyone knows. I loved that game.
Hunting will not be a sport until the U.S. government recognizes the right to arm bears.

While there is a bad way to be weird, there is no good way not to be.

All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost.
jahwn lemonjello

Location: 3rd spacial dimension, our universe, Milky way, solar system, Earth, The Americas, USA

Postby jendral_hxr » Tue May 04, 2010 1:58 am UTC

I remember, back then when I was still in 1st or 2nd grade of elementary, I played it along my friend---and it last about a school week (5 days).
But the LAVA was the pavement instead of the floor. :D
I wish I weren't so stupid
jendral_hxr

Postby aylalalalalala » Tue May 04, 2010 2:06 am UTC

dang nammit westrim, you trope sniped me, i lost half an hour :shock: ... i played the lava game, but there were also the shark and crocodile variants ... also it reminded me of how awesome the pippi longstocking movie was - which had the can't touch the floor game (no lava but same idea)... and the freaking sweet rollerskate scrubbing brushes... pippi longstocking is coming into your world...
If you were a guitar... I'd pluck you
aylalalalalala

Postby JayAr » Tue May 04, 2010 2:13 am UTC

This article is full of nostalgia.
nyeguy wrote:Bacon isn't a sin. It clogs your arteries and brings you to god faster.

I actually truly failed the Turing Test
JayAr

Postby SorryBoringNickName » Tue May 04, 2010 2:43 am UTC

GunJack wrote:
SorryBoringNickName wrote:Hot lava??

Naive

When I was a child it was "pichí caliente" (hot pee).

for me it was hot lava, since we could clearly see a volcano from our window...

PS1: what's with the "we" Randall??
PS2: dude(SBNN)...are you chilean???

Reply to PS2: Yep, I am, why?

Also, looks like you don't have PS3.

Me niether, and I really want to play MGS4 *Goes to a corner and sobs*
Nothing to do, nowhere to go-oh
SorryBoringNickName

Postby grafpa » Tue May 04, 2010 3:24 am UTC

My brother and I to play a variant of this in which our bunkbeds were the ship, the stuffed animals were the crew, and we were the "Explorers of the Lava." It was awesome. We kept logs and everything... I wonder if he's still got them...
"If you feel you are beginning to succeed, try raising your standards"
grafpa

Postby skine » Tue May 04, 2010 4:24 am UTC

thanksbastards wrote:wait waitwait. is that playground a bloody kit?!? I thought it was the one and only super cool playground dubbed "castle park" in my youthfull, blissfull days. I thihnk it was in lexington? we could only go there if we were ever so lucky. If there is more than one my joy may be deminished, and when that happens I will resort to arson to reset the balance of my mind!
[/quote]

Disclaimer: SWAG:
I think that it was one of those basic "public works" programs that built most of the wooden playgrounds. They had mainly uniform parts (as in the tire swing, monkey bars, basic "steeple" construction are basically the same), but I'm pretty sure no two had nearly the same layout, and most had their own unique structure.

That said, you don't have to resort to arson.

Go here, go to Aerial>Bird's Eye, zoom in, and pan south-west until you see the tan patch above the tennis courts. You'll obviously notice the small plastic playground. (the fence appears just to promote grass growth - so it seems to be arbitrary)

What is still apparent is the darker area on the eastern end of the area. Based on the tennis court and my personal recollection, this was a wooden structure in the shape of a [wooden] ship that was over two stories tall and measured 12'x60' (it also had a curly slide coming out the bow).

Now imagine the entire tan area was covered in wooden structures - that is, enough that an elementary school student could cross the entire thing in its longest direction without touching the stones.

I think I'll stop describing how awesome it was now, since I'm starting to tear up.
skine

Postby colt45joe » Tue May 04, 2010 7:41 am UTC

oh god, this comic brought back so many memories i had completely forgotten about. crazy.
colt45joe

Postby mamcd8 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 am UTC

sippawitz wrote:huh. when we were really young we'd play this at the supermarket on the black an white tiles, with the black being lava. then we grew up and started playing games like push stibbo off the cliff into the water, or tie poncy stibbo up and go home for tea...

Terry Pratchett reference yay! I'm glad it's not just me who sees the comic strips here and relates them to stuff in Terry Pratchett books, this one: http://www.xkcd.com/730/

really reminded me of Hex!!
mamcd8

Postby superdemongob » Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 am UTC

Monika wrote:Oh this is what the Icelandic kids have been up to lately.

this comment which seems to have been largely ignored made me laugh almost as much as the comic.
Click on whichever appeals to you more:
Image Image Image Image
superdemongob

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads