0738: "Incision"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MehPlusRawr

0738: "Incision"

Postby MehPlusRawr » Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 am UTC

Alt text: At one point, by force of childhood habit, the doctor accidentally removed three or four organs.

I win at screwing up these threads.

I don't get it either.

Megaryuu

"Incision" Discussion

Postby Megaryuu » Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 am UTC

Title-text: At one point, by force of childhood habit, the doctor accidentally removed three or four organs.

I don't get it.

madock345

Re: "Incision" Discussion

Postby madock345 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:59 am UTC

I Declare This the Official Thread
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Mon May 10, 2010 4:00 am UTC

An operation buzzer is like one of those pen buzzers, it looks like a pen, but when you try to click it open, it gives you an electric shock instead. An operation buzzer is something a child swallows to piss off surgeons.

Megaryuu

Postby Megaryuu » Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Ohhhh I just realized they were talking about the board game "Operation"! Hehe, I get it now, and it's funny.

scytop

Postby scytop » Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 am UTC

I think he's referencing the children's game "Operation"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_(game)

cprocjr

Postby cprocjr » Mon May 10, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Right when I saw the comic, I new it was an Operation joke. I've actually been expecting him to make an operation joke for some time now!

JayAr

Postby JayAr » Mon May 10, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Poor kid, he either dies from the organ removal or the bill sky rockets for whomever is paying for the operation. :(
nyeguy wrote:Bacon isn't a sin. It clogs your arteries and brings you to god faster.

I actually truly failed the Turing Test

smilin'

Postby smilin' » Mon May 10, 2010 4:16 am UTC

I could so do that :wink: but it would be a fun twist to the game aswell, icking a buzzer out while getting buzzed by both the game, and the object needing removal.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon May 10, 2010 4:17 am UTC

JayAr wrote:Poor kid, he either dies from the organ removal or the bill sky rockets for whomever is paying for the operation. :(

Can the hospital bill you for completely unnecessary procedures when performing said procedures amounts to malpractice?

P.S. to people attempting to troll surgeons with this: unfortunately it won't work, unless you somehow manage to connect the buzzer via wires to the surgeon's scalpel and also to random wires running throughout your body, so that the surgeon accidentally completes the circuit.
Last edited by skeptical scientist on Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Mon May 10, 2010 4:18 am UTC

How many spare doctors did they do through before one of them was able to remove the buzzer without setting it off? :lol:
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Allotrope

Postby Allotrope » Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 am UTC

Am I the only one who thought he said he was making an "inosion" before reading the title of the comic?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 am UTC

Wikipedia's already been edited to reflect this. Dear god, guys.

rrsquare

Postby rrsquare » Mon May 10, 2010 4:40 am UTC

Whats with the date ? (October 4th 2004)
Anything important ?

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Mon May 10, 2010 4:51 am UTC

the wikipedia edit was already reverted. apparently xkcd is not 'notable.' psssshh

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:52 am UTC

Allotrope wrote:Am I the only one who thought he said he was making an "inosion" before reading the title of the comic?

Yes.

helo darqness

Postby helo darqness » Mon May 10, 2010 5:04 am UTC

makes me think of the video "Knives Out" for Radiohead

wallacoloo

Postby wallacoloo » Mon May 10, 2010 5:06 am UTC

Didn't Randall already do an "Operation" comic? Or am I just remembering a reference in one of the alt texts of an older comic?

Radiobandit

Postby Radiobandit » Mon May 10, 2010 5:34 am UTC

cprocjr wrote:Right when I saw the comic, I new it was an Operation joke.

Golfclap.gif

Дерсу Узала

Postby Дерсу Узала » Mon May 10, 2010 5:46 am UTC

October 8th, 2004. The day Martha Stewart started to serve her sentence? That must be it...

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon May 10, 2010 6:12 am UTC

faunablues wrote:the wikipedia edit was already reverted. apparently xkcd is not 'notable.' psssshh

xkcd references are practically a plague on wikipedia.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon May 10, 2010 6:19 am UTC

just like how google is plagued by xkcd google results.

memcginn

Postby memcginn » Mon May 10, 2010 7:21 am UTC

Man. Knew it was an Operation reference when I saw the surgery and the BZZZZT. Did not expect the joke at the bottom. Was greatly amused. Would love to see such a surgery happen for real (that is, some sort of surgery where the surgeon gets buzzed if he makes mistakes).

RE: Alt text - Did this "childhood habit" involve throwing the game across the room when a mistake was made? That's about the only way I could imagine the guy in the game losing 3 or 4 organs on a mistake.
while (!spoon) {
fork();
}

LTK

Postby LTK » Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am UTC

Huh. I thought the buzzing was the sound of the electronic saw making the incision. Those are some strange-looking mouthcaps, by the way.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Mon May 10, 2010 9:23 am UTC

memcginn wrote:RE: Alt text - Did this "childhood habit" involve throwing the game across the room when a mistake was made? That's about the only way I could imagine the guy in the game losing 3 or 4 organs on a mistake.

The objective of operation is to remove as much as you can from the body without setting off the buzzer.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

TheDarkNerd

Postby TheDarkNerd » Mon May 10, 2010 9:48 am UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:P.S. to people attempting to troll surgeons with this: unfortunately it won't work, unless you somehow manage to connect the buzzer via wires to the surgeon's scalpel and also to random wires running throughout your body, so that the surgeon accidentally completes the circuit.

I don't think you need the wires. If you are just trying to screw with the doctor's head, have the circuit delicately balanced to close whenever there's a slight shift of the body. He won't even have to make a mistake to relive childhood trauma, of losing so many patients on the (kitchen) table.

ZeroSkulleton

Postby ZeroSkulleton » Mon May 10, 2010 11:31 am UTC

Made me lul. Would have been easier to get (took me a few seconds) if the doctor said "your turn" or something of that nature.

How epic would an xkcd version of operation?

A stick figure with some famous xkcd items: Lugnuts, Hat Guy's Hat, Electric Skateboard, The Internet, etc.

SorryBoringNickName

Postby SorryBoringNickName » Mon May 10, 2010 11:32 am UTC

Didn't really get the joke at fist-sight, had to read the thread to understand it.

What really bothers me is that there's a verb after "accidentally". Too much time on the internet, I guess.
Nothing to do, nowhere to go-oh

GunJack

Postby GunJack » Mon May 10, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

SorryBoringNickName wrote:Didn't really get the joke at fist-sight, had to read the thread to understand it.

What really bothers me is that there's a verb after "accidentally". Too much time on the internet, I guess.

totally got the joke, operation is within my childhood memories, but so does not get your "accidentally-verb-too much time on the internet" joke, care to explain?
PS:could you explain the term: "altiro" please...chilean spanish is very confusing but very funny !
PS3: yeah, I got one and you should really really really buy one...MGS4 is too awesome!!
Don't protest against my methods, if you want to continue living of my results

ulwen

Postby ulwen » Mon May 10, 2010 12:58 pm UTC

I would be more worried about the doctors not having eyes than the buzzer. :)

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon May 10, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

GunJack wrote:totally got the joke, operation is within my childhood memories, but so does not get your "accidentally-verb-too much time on the internet" joke, care to explain?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-accidentally
you obviously have to lurk more. (e.g. I accidentally with a knife, I accidentally three organs.)

KingErroneous

Postby KingErroneous » Mon May 10, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

Good thing the kid didn't swallow a Perfection game, or the doctor would only have 60 seconds before the kid's stomach explodes in a cascade of yellow geometric shapes..

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Mon May 10, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

This was great!
If you haven't played the game, you have no idea how unnerving that stupid buzzer can be.
Once you get on a roll, you just grab all the organs and bones.
Too funny.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Stereotypical Computer Geek

Postby Stereotypical Computer Geek » Mon May 10, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Anyone else think the kid needed a red LED light implanted in his nose? Or at least inside a clown nose the kid is wearing?
http://us.movember.com/mospace/941014/

rdm_box

Postby rdm_box » Mon May 10, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

Stereotypical Computer Geek wrote:Anyone else think the kid needed a red LED light implanted in his nose? Or at least inside a clown nose the kid is wearing?

Was just thinking that! If he is clumsy enough to swallow the buzzer, he has probably already shoved an LED up his nose.
Regards,

-rdm_box

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

ZeroSkulleton wrote:Made me lul. Would have been easier to get (took me a few seconds) if the doctor said "your turn" or something of that nature.

How epic would an xkcd version of operation?

A stick figure with some famous xkcd items: Lugnuts, Hat Guy's Hat, Electric Skateboard, The Internet, etc.

You are forgetting WHG's scones, and maybe a cat or two.

rory_215

Postby rory_215 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

This comic made me giggle a lot. And then I read the alt-text and scared my friend Catherine with my outburst of laughter.

Just last night I pulled out an old game I haven't played in years. It wasn't Operation, but still. Old games = Fun. :D

flag

Postby flag » Tue May 11, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

wallacoloo wrote:Didn't Randall already do an "Operation" comic? Or am I just remembering a reference in one of the alt texts of an older comic?

He did. I ran across it on Random the other day. Operation is an endless font, though, so no worries.

ihope127

Postby ihope127 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Wikipedia's already been edited to reflect this. Dear god, guys.

Permalink, please. Wikipedia as it was this morning
There is a significant chance that an artificial intelligence created within the next few decades will not value humanity and therefore will treat us as we treat animals. It would be awesome if xkcd mentioned this.
----
Find me on freenode as uorygl.

dharp2793

Postby dharp2793 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

well this joke makes no sense. when someone swallows something, you don't perform surgery. you pump their stomach. and if it was touching the scalpel so it would buzz while he was making the incision, it would be just under the surface, which means it would be a thirty second surgery. this is some bullshit

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”