0740: "The Tell-Tale Beat"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LOTM
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby LOTM » Fri May 14, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

Raptor Jesus wrote:Gotta love Poe.

Edit: Heres the best example of the UNN-TSS, UNN-TSS, UNN-TSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0HSD_i2 ... re=related


I would disagree, Face to Face is the king of the UNN-TSS opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DFZn56UcVQ

User avatar
StClair
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby StClair » Sat May 15, 2010 12:46 am UTC

Experiential, that was epic. Thank you.

(ExplodingLemur, Felstaff and Coffee, I was much pleased by your contributions also.)

User avatar
Quicksilver
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby Quicksilver » Sat May 15, 2010 2:12 am UTC

Murdered Daft Punk? I hate you Randall. I went and saw them live a few years ago, they were fucking incredible:
Image
It took me years to find out what this shirt was about.
Image
Image

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby SirMustapha » Sat May 15, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

mszegedy wrote:Same. I'm not good at pop culture, but I could recognize a Poe reference ANYWHERE. I feel so proud for getting the joke.


Yeah, it's unbelievable that you could get a reference that's already given away in the title. Unfortunately, you didn't get the fact that the reference is completely inaccurate.

edbdqt
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby edbdqt » Sat May 15, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Cool comic. I just wish the bust of pallas was more pallid.

Zylon
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby Zylon » Sat May 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

fencing_elf wrote:Daft Punk lives!
They're doing the soundtrack to Tron: Legacy

Exactly this. Most people (myself included) had never even heard of Daft Punk until it was announced that they were doing the Tron Legacy soundtrack. So this isn't Randall being obscure, it's Randall being topical.

10nitro
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby 10nitro » Sat May 15, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
10nitro wrote:Screw you. You only beet me because I was addling a link and a comment, per the rules, and you didn't.

Anyway, I didn't think it was that funny, but I liked the art.

I didn't see any rules about needing a link, but I added it in. Did that increase your happiness?

Yes it did, I am happy now!

Meloncov wrote:For those who don't know, the visual style of the comic is referencing the animated short adaptation of The Tell Tale Heart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4s9V8aQu4c

I'd never seen that before, thanks.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

FunPika
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby FunPika » Sat May 15, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

Hmm....I was just listening to One More Time recently....


GET OUT OF MY HEAD RANDALL!!!!

Zylon
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby Zylon » Sat May 15, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

Meloncov wrote:For those who don't know, the visual style of the comic is referencing the animated short adaptation of The Tell Tale Heart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4s9V8aQu4c

No, that art style is completely different. As already noted, the art in today's strip is an homage to Edward Gorey.

User avatar
Drakuun
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby Drakuun » Sun May 16, 2010 11:48 am UTC

Electro?
Try Soulwax - part of the weekend never dies.
It's more alternative I guess, since they also play live and remix live.

whyusephpbb
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby whyusephpbb » Sun May 16, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:
fencing_elf wrote:Daft Punk lives!
They're doing the soundtrack to Tron: Legacy

Exactly this. Most people (myself included) had never even heard of Daft Punk until it was announced that they were doing the Tron Legacy soundtrack. So this isn't Randall being obscure, it's Randall being topical.


Aargh! Why does everything I manage to get into get exposed to the general public and used to death a month later till it is of the status of zombie meme?

Chumley
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby Chumley » Sun May 16, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

Haven't been on in over a year, but I feel it necessary to post this:
DAFT PUNK IS NOT TECHNO, THEY ARE FRENCH HOUSE. AND RATHER LAME FRENCH HOUSE AT THAT. BROOOOOOOOKLYYYYYYYYYN RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

User avatar
lsdigit
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 10:20 pm UTC
Location: just behind you...

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby lsdigit » Sun May 16, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

Chumley wrote:Haven't been on in over a year, but I feel it necessary to post this:
DAFT PUNK IS NOT TECHNO, THEY ARE FRENCH HOUSE. AND RATHER LAME FRENCH HOUSE AT THAT. BROOOOOOOOKLYYYYYYYYYN RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE


Air, would be Lame french House....Daft punk make music in a variety of 'genres' but really, for who other than the trainspotting dj's does this still matter. and why so yelly?

I also wonder at the amount of liberal arts majors that might be chuckling as a very suitable xkcd strip finally landed. ("in your face, in your face" they chant from their beardie mouths as they huddle outside the bakery awaiting opening time.)
J.G.Frazer wrote:"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid." ('The Golden Bough')

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon May 17, 2010 2:32 am UTC

jqavins wrote:
oddtail wrote:I like Poe (it looks almost like "I like pie"...), but I didn't like this comic. Not particularly funny, not particularly witty (as xkcd goes, that is. Don't kill me), I was sort-of "meh" at it.

But apparently, few share my opinion =)

Well, you're not completely alone. I found the artwork truely remarkable, the comic unclever and unfunny, and the alt text mildly clever. And I'll give one or two points to anyone who does away with any maker of techno music. But I'm puzzled as to why Randall would put so much work into the art for an otherwise bottom of the barrel strip. But then, I'm the sort of geek whose favorite XKCD strip ever is #184.


as Bil Waterson said (and I paraphrase:) "If the joke sucks, I tend to go for broke on the artwork".
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon May 17, 2010 3:27 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
mszegedy wrote:Same. I'm not good at pop culture, but I could recognize a Poe reference ANYWHERE. I feel so proud for getting the joke.


Yeah, it's unbelievable that you could get a reference that's already given away in the title. Unfortunately, you didn't get the fact that the reference is completely inaccurate.

How's it inaccurate?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Edrees
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby Edrees » Mon May 17, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

This one made me laugh REALLY hard. Genius!

And I"m big on EDM, so I know Daft Punk isn't techno, but I'm so used to people categorizing them incorrectly I ignore it instantaneously now.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby SirMustapha » Wed May 19, 2010 2:21 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
mszegedy wrote:Same. I'm not good at pop culture, but I could recognize a Poe reference ANYWHERE. I feel so proud for getting the joke.


Yeah, it's unbelievable that you could get a reference that's already given away in the title. Unfortunately, you didn't get the fact that the reference is completely inaccurate.

How's it inaccurate?


The strip comes from the misconception that the protagonist is "haunted" by the heart beating, i.e. he can hear it all the time. That's not correct, that's a misguided, hearsay interpretation of the story. The heart beating is a guilt-ridden hallucination, which happens only when the officers are in the room.

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 am UTC

That seems about as relevant as the fact that there are two victims in the comic instead of one.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

hyprxl
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby hyprxl » Wed May 19, 2010 3:15 am UTC

Last night I had a dream about you
In this dream I'm standing right above you
And it looks like no one's even catching on
My mind is reeling, I'm waiting so long

"Lord, stop! Don't come any closer!"
On the lam, your terror grows stronger
There's nothing there, it's just an ickle cricket groan
Our hearts were racing all night long

The time is right to put my arms around you
Your body's light
I pin you to the ground to
Wait patiently, until the pounding's done
Before I know it your soul would move on

Ooh I don't know what to do
About this dream and you
I''ll make this dream come true

Why don't you lay sedate?
Why can't I play for sane?

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby SirMustapha » Thu May 20, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:That seems about as relevant as the fact that there are two victims in the comic instead of one.


In case you did read the story, you clearly remember that one of the most important points of the story is that the killer is claiming that he is not insane, to the point where he openly confesses the murder to try to prove his point. He doesn't claim he was "haunted" by the sound of a beating heart, but that the dead man's heart was actually beating. Changing a minor plot point for the sake of a joke is one thing, but completely disfiguring one of the most important marks of a story is a matter of not having understood the story at all, or even of not having read it. The joke would have worked if it didn't commit that dumb mistake; there's no excuse for that.

If you want to make a reference, do it right. It's not asking much.

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri May 21, 2010 1:22 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:He doesn't claim he was "haunted" by the sound of a beating heart, but that the dead man's heart was actually beating.

Are you actually familiar with this word upon which your argument hinges? "Haunted" doesn't mean that the heart turned into a ghost and slid up through the floorboards and started beating at him. He did, however, perceive a sound, which had a "disquieting or harmful effect" on him. Thus, haunting. Otherwise, the narrator wouldn't be able to say "It is impossible to say how first the idea entered my brain, but, once conceived, it haunted me day and night" as he does in the second paragraph.

And, uhhh, no, you don't need to hold onto all of the important elements of a story in order to make a reference to it. Or are you going to argue that South Park failed to understand the Gospels by giving Jesus a shotgun?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

SarekOfVulcan
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby SarekOfVulcan » Mon May 24, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

Anyone else see this and instantly go to Tom Smith's "Telly-Taley Heart"? :-)

http://www.tomsmithonline.com/lyrics/te ... _heart.htm

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby SirMustapha » Tue May 25, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Are you actually familiar with this word upon which your argument hinges?


Yes. That's why I used double quotes.

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:And, uhhh, no, you don't need to hold onto all of the important elements of a story in order to make a reference to it. Or are you going to argue that South Park failed to understand the Gospels by giving Jesus a shotgun?


Why are you mixing up "reference" and "mockery"? Randall's comic is not openly making fun of Poe's story, and is merely using it as a platform for another joke. And I'm not complaining that the comic "changed the story": I'm complaining that Randall missed the whole point of Poe's story completely the way only a completely puerile, superficial person would. Next time I'll make a reference to that film that glorifies drug use, called Trainspotting.

papie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby papie » Tue May 25, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Are you actually familiar with this word upon which your argument hinges?


Yes. That's why I used double quotes.

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:And, uhhh, no, you don't need to hold onto all of the important elements of a story in order to make a reference to it. Or are you going to argue that South Park failed to understand the Gospels by giving Jesus a shotgun?


Why are you mixing up "reference" and "mockery"? Randall's comic is not openly making fun of Poe's story, and is merely using it as a platform for another joke. And I'm not complaining that the comic "changed the story": I'm complaining that Randall missed the whole point of Poe's story completely the way only a completely puerile, superficial person would. Next time I'll make a reference to that film that glorifies drug use, called Trainspotting.

Image

Furthermore, there is no inaccurate reference to Poe because you are talking about Poe.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby SirMustapha » Wed May 26, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

Funny you should post that comic, because I'm actually a student of COMPUTER SCIENCE and that means I'm SO COOL and SO superior to those art students who are all stupid people and not NEARLY as smart as us, COMPUTER SCIENTISTS, because that's the only science that matters and it's like so cool, and we don't need such stupid things as BASIC INTERPRETATION SKILLS.

LOLZ.

Edrees
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby Edrees » Wed May 26, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

That comic isn't talking about art students it's talking about english students, so it appears you lack basic interpretation skills :lol: Randall made an error in the field of art, but he never made fun of art, he made fun of English literature (rather than language)

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu May 27, 2010 1:34 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Are you actually familiar with this word upon which your argument hinges?


Yes. That's why I used double quotes.

All right, so, to restate the part of my post that you didn't quote: Why are you treating "haunt" as if it doesn't mean "to have a disquieting or harmful effect on"?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby SirMustapha » Thu May 27, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

Edrees wrote:Randall made an error in the field of art, but he never made fun of art, he made fun of English literature (rather than language)


So Literature is NOT Art?

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:All right, so, to restate the part of my post that you didn't quote: Why are you treating "haunt" as if it doesn't mean "to have a disquieting or harmful effect on"?


Because the FIRST definition for the word given by Dictionary.com (to use a vulgar source) is "to visit habitually or appear to frequently as a spirit or ghost", and given the context, the art style and setting of the comic, that meaning is what the comic suggests: a disimbodied, ghostly "pounding". That's NOT AT ALL what happens in the actual story, and by doing that, Randall transforms a profoundly psychological story into a banal "boo! spooky" ghost tale. The problem is not the word itself or its meaning, but the whole comic. The word "haunted" only reaffirms that meaning, so it's just not right to isolate the word and treat it as the main problem.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby SirMustapha » Thu May 27, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

By the way...

Edrees wrote:Randall made an error in the field of art, but he never made fun of art


Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26453
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 27, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Why are you mixing up "reference" and "mockery"?
Okay, so in addition to apparently not knowing the meaning of "haunt" used in the comic, we can now add "reference" and "mock" to the list...

It was a joke that referred to one pertinent element of a Poe story (a protagonist that was disquieted by the perception of a beating heart). That it skipped other pertinent elements (Poe's protagonist didn't murder Daft Punk, Poe's protagonist didn't always hear the heart beating, Poe's protagonist was not a stick figure, etc.) is completely irrelevant to anything the comic was trying to do.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu May 27, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:All right, so, to restate the part of my post that you didn't quote: Why are you treating "haunt" as if it doesn't mean "to have a disquieting or harmful effect on"?


Because the FIRST definition for the word given by Dictionary.com (to use a vulgar source) is "to visit habitually or appear to frequently as a spirit or ghost"...

All that underlining, boldface, and cruise control, and just to show that a cherry-picked, admittedly "vulgar" source places a different priority on definitions?

SirMustapha wrote:... and given the context...

Randall's web site?

SirMustapisha wrote:... the art style...

The art style is macabre, but so is Poe's story. How is an unsettling style inconsistent with psychological drama?

SirMustapha wrote:... and setting of the comic...

The setting of the comic is a room. The setting of "The Tell-Tale Heart" is a room.

I get the impression that you're just grasping at every noteworthy element of the comic and sticking the word "suggests" after them without considering whether they actually support your interpretation.

SirMustapha wrote:... that meaning is what the comic suggests: a disimbodied, ghostly "pounding". That's NOT AT ALL what happens in the actual story, and by doing that, Randall transforms a profoundly psychological story into a banal "boo! spooky" ghost tale.

Again, you have not justified your assumption that references to other stories should also be faithful retellings of those stories.

Edit for ninja: Yeah; not only can you reference and mock something at the same time, but it's actually pretty damn hard to mock something without referencing it.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

User avatar
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC
Location: Texas

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby philsov » Thu May 27, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:I wonder if he's being haunted... Around the World?


(yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!)


You certainly did your Homework!
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Stuart P. Bentley
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:02 am UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby Stuart P. Bentley » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:06 am UTC

With regards to the alt text, the more appropriate reference would be DC Pierson's The Fall of Usher's House.

papie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby papie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:05 am UTC

Seriously, that guy who is claiming that the reference is inaccurate?
Referring to something is directing the attention or thought to a certain object.

So, a reference to Poe could be anything as simple as a turd writing a book.
What is the thing that directs the attention or thought to Edgar A. Poe?
Yes, his name.
"But this reference is inaccurate, because Edgar A. Poe was not feces!"
True, but because there is some cognitive relation that links the picture of a turd with the writer it is a reference.

The same goes for this comic, the simple elements in the plot relate to the book; the thumping, the hiding of corpse(s) under the floarboords, the style of writing.

And seriously, he can't use the inner meaning of the book as subject of a comic because that would be just too absurd and obscure.

papitas66
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby papitas66 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

I love the style of this one. Good use of the cross-hatching. Makes me wanna listen to some old school daft punk

kittyluvr73
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:00 am UTC

Re: "The Tell-Tale Beat" Discussion

Postby kittyluvr73 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:09 am UTC

I loved this one!!! I love Poe, and I love that he didn't just stick with spoofing The Tell-Tale Heart, he added in a bunch of other references like the one about The Fall of the House of Usher, and the bust over the door, etc. Total nerdgasm. :D


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha and 24 guests